Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   If you are a demo do you use unmounteds for personal? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/if-you-demo-do-you-use-unmounteds-personal-179544/)

shell_scraps 09-01-2006 07:04 AM

If you are a demo do you use unmounteds for personal?

and WB for workshops? or do you use your UM for both?

I have a ton of SU! sets that I use unmounted (not bare rubber, but no permanent block)

I don't want to have to purchase new sets of stamps that I already own just to use them at a workshop...

annabelle1974 09-01-2006 07:21 AM

My demo started with UMing only her retired stamps. When she learned that most of us in the 10 club were also going UM, she asked us how we felt about using new UM sets at 10 club. We were all in agreement that we would be happy with that. Since we have been doing that, the remaining 3 women have gone unmounted and we are all very happy with it.

amysings 09-01-2006 07:33 AM

I have a few unmounted stamps that I have purchased because they fit a specific need. But I do not unmount my SU stamps. I only use SU wood mounted stamps for workshops. Why would I want to demonstrate something I can't sell? :-) I would think it would encourage customers to buy other companies' unmounted stamps. And I love wood mounted, so that's what works for me.

For a club, I can see it working like Annabelle said. But not a workshop. But that's just me. The beauty of Stampin Up demonstratorships is that we can run our business however we choose. You would just have to think about what you are selling, and the best way to show people how great it is.

shell_scraps 09-01-2006 07:38 AM

Thanks for the input. I really love the SU! quality and style compared to other companies that I've seen and used...but the blocks are so cumbersome....I only buy SU! stamps now...but just don't mount them on the blocks....

Palapala 09-01-2006 08:02 AM

Something to check into if you are an SU demo. I believe I saw this on another thread here at SCS. If I remember correctly, according to SU customer service, you aren't supposed to use SU stamps unmounted at home shows and SU functions (stamp camps, clubs, etc) because that is not the way they are sold.

I'd double check first to make sure no "rules" are broken.

shell_scraps 09-01-2006 08:18 AM

that's what I was wondering about Barbara....thanks!!

I guess I'll just have a lot of stamp sets that I don't use for shows.....

Palapala 09-01-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell_scraps
that's what I was wondering about Barbara....thanks!!

I guess I'll just have a lot of stamp sets that I don't use for shows.....

Like I said, I'm going by memory, so you may want to contact SU CS directly.

Momofoneson 09-01-2006 09:50 AM

Here's my non-demo take on it. If you use and show unmounted stamps, no one is going to want to pay SU prices on stamp sets because they know they are paying for the wood. And one other thing, they would ask themselves, what would I do with all that expensive wood. As a customer, I would do some hunting down and find out that I can get unmounted stamps for half the price.

Momofoneson 09-01-2006 09:52 AM

I should add, the reason I pay for SU stamps is because I like the wood. I have alot of clear stamps and unmounteds, but there is something about the wood that appeals to me.

Palapala 09-01-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
I should add, the reason I pay for SU stamps is because I like the wood. I have alot of clear stamps and unmounteds, but there is something about the wood that appeals to me.

Same here. Love my TAC stamps and Cornish Heritage unmounteds, but must admit, there is just "something" about the SU wood mounts. I use them all pretty equally, but... Can't explain it. It must be some kind of "feeling in the hand" thing. Weird, I know! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/e055.gif

GWTW Junkie 09-01-2006 10:44 AM

I don't have a single umounted and I can't see myself ever buying one. I certainly wouldn't demo with them--I really, really dislike them and I encourage my customers to borrow a set from someone if they are considering buying it, and see if they really honestly like it. If they do, then fine, but I won't feel bad about not warning them a lot of people really dislike them or get tired fast of having to mount them every time they use them. Plus there's the quality of the artwork issue as well.
With SU, you mount once and it's ready to go! I'm SO glad SU promised never to change! I love those beautiful smooth wood blocks, and I don't have to worry that my company will suddenly do an about-face and make all my stock obsolete. Just another reason I'm so happy with SU.

shell_scraps 09-01-2006 10:45 AM

thanks for the opinions from the non-demo's standpoint...that helps even more!!

Momofoneson 09-01-2006 10:47 AM

I wouldn't say alot of people dislike unmounteds, I love them and so do most of the people I know. Once someone uses unmounted stamps, they are going to get addicted to them 9 times out of 10. Do you want to risk that?

annabelle1974 09-01-2006 11:14 AM

I agree with the previous poster's ratio with the addiction factor. As a demo, I would think you would want your customers to have access to all information and make the decision best for them. If you have this attitude it will not cost you sales. I still buy SU and use them unmounted. It is about the image I want, but would love to not use up wood unnecessarily. It results in the death of a tree, no matter what that tree's purpose is. I just do not wish to take from nature unnecessarily!

vbcaser 09-01-2006 11:37 AM

I am a demo. I do not use unmounted stamps. I would not demo unmounted stamps. If someone is serious about stamping they can and will find out about it some other way and if that's the way they prefer - that's their choice.

I have some and I do not like them. No one I know likes them that way either. So I do not agree that 9 out of 10 will become addicted to unmounted stamps. And it's just not right to make an assumption like that!

Joan B 09-01-2006 11:38 AM

I have one unmounted set -- polka dot alpha from A Muse and a few from TAC. But I find that I rarely use them because I haven't taken the time to organize them in a way that let's me see what is on the stamp. I'm lazy that way. that's why i usually stick to mounted.

mothermcbride 09-01-2006 12:14 PM

I cannot possibly imagine a stamp set so wonderful as to make me buy unmounted. ;) With the exception of saving space, the idea is COMPLETELY unappealing to me. Now, please don't think I'm accusing unmounted lovers of being kookie or anything. Just give me my wood and rubber. Woo hoo!!! :D

stampT 09-01-2006 12:35 PM

Another non-demo opinion

I love the wooden blocks. Probably always will.

I have a few "unmounted" clear stamps -- I have NEVER used them. I thought at one time they might be cool or easy to use. I just haven't gone to the trouble of trying them out. If I need an image -- I know where to look and just grab it -- already mounted --ready to stamp.

If I were to go to a workshop that demo'd unmounted stamps -- I'd question the need to purchase the sets. Actually -- SU stamps come unmounted. They just supply the wooden blocks to mount them.

I think I'd want my demo to demo what she was sellling.

Just my 2.

Momofoneson 09-01-2006 01:08 PM

I have at least 50 unmounted stamp sets maybe more. I was a wooden stamp user. All of my TAC customers were wooden stamp users, all of my CTMH customers were wooden stamp users. Once they saw the unmounted, used the unmounted, they now only purchase unmounted. Just ask on twopeasinabucket what they prefer, it is a huge site with thousands of stampers. They will most likely tell you unmounted. I am not saying anything against SU, love their stamps, but I would have no customers except myself.

llevans 09-01-2006 02:14 PM

I went unmounted and 90% of my stamp purchases are still SU because I like their designs the best. It doesn't bother me that part of the cost of the stamp set is the wood - now, don't get me wrong, I would love for them to offer the option of buying their stamps at a cheaper, unmounted price but that doesn't slow me down from purchasing just about everything in the catty!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
I have at least 50 unmounted stamp sets maybe more. I was a wooden stamp user. All of my TAC customers were wooden stamp users, all of my CTMH customers were wooden stamp users. Once they saw the unmounted, used the unmounted, they now only purchase unmounted. Just ask on twopeasinabucket what they prefer, it is a huge site with thousands of stampers. They will most likely tell you unmounted. I am not saying anything against SU, love their stamps, but I would have no customers except myself.

shell_scraps 09-04-2006 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampT
If I were to go to a workshop that demo'd unmounted stamps -- I'd question the need to purchase the sets. Actually -- SU stamps come unmounted. They just supply the wooden blocks to mount them.

I think I'd want my demo to demo what she was sellling.

Just my 2.

That's exactly my point...all my stamps are SU!...I just don't use the wood blocks...

I have limited storage space and SU! boxes quickly take up valuable space in my stamp room.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who is a hard core wood and ruber demo...

craftygirl04 09-04-2006 06:15 AM

I am not a demo but if I were I would only use mounted for my workshops. It only makes sense, since that's how they are meant to be sold. However, not being a demo, I love my unmounted SU and TAC stamps.

robynstamps 09-04-2006 06:45 AM

Yes, demo with wood mount. That is what we are supposed to be selling so we should be demoing it.

On a personal note..... I just started unmounting some stamps this week and I LOVE it!! Some of you know who I am and might be shocked that I have ever come to this. I was one that even told Shelli from SU that I would be sooo upset if they ever went to UM stamps. Well, I've been mistaken. I love how easy they are to store and it does not stop me from using them. They are just as easy to stamp, clean, peel off, and put away as my woodmounted sets. I have found that having them UM makes me keep my area cleaned better. So......... I hear some of you saying you will NEVER switch to unmounted. From one VERY LOYAL SU person to another....... NEVER say NEVER!!

Robyn

robynstamps 09-04-2006 09:45 AM

I can't believe I was the thread killer on this one!! :D

Robyn

llevans 09-04-2006 09:58 AM

Isn't the space savings incredible??!! It would be awesome someday if SU offered the choice of mounted or unmounted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
Yes, demo with wood mount. That is what we are supposed to be selling so we should be demoing it.

On a personal note..... I just started unmounting some stamps this week and I LOVE it!! Some of you know who I am and might be shocked that I have ever come to this. I was one that even told Shelli from SU that I would be sooo upset if they ever went to UM stamps. Well, I've been mistaken. I love how easy they are to store and it does not stop me from using them. They are just as easy to stamp, clean, peel off, and put away as my woodmounted sets. I have found that having them UM makes me keep my area cleaned better. So......... I hear some of you saying you will NEVER switch to unmounted. From one VERY LOYAL SU person to another....... NEVER say NEVER!!

Robyn

robynstamps 09-04-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llevans
Isn't the space savings incredible??!! It would be awesome someday if SU offered the choice of mounted or unmounted.

Yes, it is amazing. Who knows. I'm sure it will be brought up this year again but they have to do what is best for them. It would be too hard to have that many stamp sets on the pick line at SU with both options. We would have to get rid of a bunch of accessories.

Robyn

Mahloumel 09-04-2006 10:17 AM

shell_scraps, are your UMs on some sort of EZ Mount clingy foam stuff? If so, is it feasible to just mount them on the wood blocks for your SU events? I'm thinking if you have the index sticker on the back of the wood, and seal the other side either with a clear sticker or seal it with varnish, then you could temporarily wood mount your stamps for workshops or whatever, then return your UMs to sanity and store them your usual way after the event is finished.

I use a mix of unmounted and wood mounted, and I really don't have a problem with either. I look to a variety of companies to fill my stamping wants and still buy SU to use UM even though I wind up paying for the wood, because I like the style of image of a lot of SU stamps. From a $ standpoint, TAC would be a better investment, but I looked at their catalogue online and nothing in there really appeals to me in the slightest. So please give your customers some credit in terms of knowing what they want, and if you have to 'hide' UM stamps from them for fear that they will desert SU for other UM companies, then you as an SU demo aren't able to sell them something they will want or be happy with, so why worry.

shell_scraps 09-04-2006 01:39 PM

I'll have to take photos of how I mount my SU! stamps....let me feed the family and I'll be back to do that...

robynstamps 09-04-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell_scraps
I'll have to take photos of how I mount my SU! stamps....let me feed the family and I'll be back to do that...

Yes, I'd love to see that. I need to get mine fed, too. I'll take a pic of my new system. I just need to fine something for my medium and large sets. They don't all fit in one CD case and I am so anal that it would drive me crazy to have them in two!!!

Robyn

shell_scraps 09-04-2006 02:40 PM

I posted how I do mine along with the photos HERE

robynstamps 09-04-2006 02:45 PM

Thanks! The pics are great. What do you do with your bigger SU sets. I went through them all today (I own almost 400 sets) and I only have about 40 that will fit in one CD case.

Thanks again!
Robyn

shell_scraps 09-04-2006 03:04 PM

I am obviously not as anal as others and I do split my sets between more than one case. I will just use a sharpie and write the set name on the second case...I do store them side by side though so that I don't have to rifle through my CD crates to find the other half of a set. I've known people who have used clear DVD cases (you can get them at staples also) for larger sets, but I like for all my cases to be the same size for portability. I store mine in the dollar store mini milk crates and they are super easy to take to crops and retreats that way.

annabelle1974 09-04-2006 06:04 PM

Are you sure you are trimming closely and spacing closely in the CD case? My friend has over 200 SU sets and says only 3 sets wouldn't fit all in one case. Are you popping out the 1/2 moons and the insert?

robynstamps 09-04-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Are you sure you are trimming closely and spacing closely in the CD case? My friend has over 200 SU sets and says only 3 sets wouldn't fit all in one case. Are you popping out the 1/2 moons and the insert?

Yup! I also own 26 SU Alphabet sets and there is no way those are going to fit in 1 case. I have a lot of large sets that are over $24.95 both past and present. I am a very close trimmer so I am positive that's not the problem. :D My problem is owning so many sets!!! I can't get rid of them, though.

Robyn

robynstamps 09-04-2006 06:12 PM

Okay, I just re-read your post. No, I have not been popping out the half moons. I will see if that helps. I can't see getting any of my saying sets in 1 case either.

Thanks,
Robyn

freeindeed 09-05-2006 04:56 AM

It is defenitely a matter of personal preference but I was introduced to stamping through CTMH and I started out with the clear unmounted stamps.
I totally shunned regular wood stamps altogether until one day I came across
some retired, mounted SU! stamps at a yard sale and they were such a good deal I had to go ahead and get them.
I started using them and realized very quickly that it was just so much easier to grab the stamp I wanted and go to town instead of pulling it out of the package, putting it on, take them off, and get them stuffed back in the container, etc. I was having so much more fun stamping and getting a lot more done.
I also loved how pretty the SU! designs were.
About a week later I sold all my CTMH stamps on ebay and signed up
to be a SU! demo.
That is just my two cents but of course everyone is different!

mnhyrkas 09-05-2006 06:45 AM

I like how you put your index sticker on the foam. how long have you been using this system? I've found the Aleens TIO glue gets dirty and fuzzy over time. Then what? Are you just adding more TIO on the top? or do you remove the TIO layer with an Undu product before reapplying. does your index stay on?

mnhyrkas 09-05-2006 06:50 AM

I noticed that I didn't answer your original post question. I'm a non-demo, and think that for workshops it would be better to show the stamps how they are sold. But for advanced stampers it may be a nice thing to show how they can be "converted" to an UM system. I was getting to a point where I was not going to be purchasing any more wood stamps because I didn't have room. But, now that I'm using an UM system, I have room for more stamps! I do love the SU designs, but wish that they offered an UM option to keep the set/shipping prices down a bit.

shell_scraps 09-05-2006 07:13 AM

I've only been doing it this way for about the last 9 months. I started running out of room for storing all my stamp sets and a gal friend told me that she had unmounted all her stamps and went from some crazy amount of space to only 100 CD cases...I was in awe. She had taken hers off the foam though...I did that for a couple of sets and realized I didn't like the stamps not having foam. So for the rest of my sets I took the foam and the rubber off the blocks. I like how when the stamps are on the blocks you have the image on the back, so I thought what the heck...you can put the image on the foam just as easy...so that's what I started doing!

I am a die hard SU! stamper...I have other brands...but I always go back to my SU! stamps for projects.

to answer your other question...

I have never had a problem with my TIO getting fuzzy since my stamps are protected in the cases so I haven't had to worry about taking a layer off. If the tack is not enough I will add a thin layer over the thin layer that was already on there. I have only had to do that with one stamp and it is the stamp that I use on the back of all my cards.

abayes 09-06-2006 10:17 AM

Shell,

I have tried you method on a couple of retired sets and the glue on the bakc of the foam stays stuck to the wood block when I unmounted them (I have tried microwaving and using my heat gun). Any suggestions on how the keep the glue on the foam so the stickers stick to the stamp instead of the CD case?

Ang