Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for new girlfriend????

Okay - so here is the short story - my son Brandon - I call him B - is 18 (19 on 05/27) and is stationed in Hawaii with the Army. He has his very first official girlfriend. He has been there since October, met her in November and they have been dating ever since. She is also 18, works at the Old Navy store and lives with her parents, just got accepted to Hawaii U in the fall.

So today, he sends me my very first photo and video of her, and she is BEAUTIFUL!!! A little too much eye makeup for my standards, but she is young and can do that right now. Totally the opposite of what I though he would look for, but that's his choice and I can accept that.

ANYWHOO....I'm planning on visiting him in June, and want to make/take her something I've done, and a card to go with it. I've never spoken to her, nor her parents, but B has shown her pictures of me and told her what a dork I am (WHATEVER!). So, I want to put a meaningful quote in the card. Something along the lines touching someones life forever, regardless of the outcome.

Anybody know of any good quotes?

The Blog

The Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

For my brother's new girlfriend at Christmas, I made her a stamped candle and coasters with Roses in Winter. I think there might have been something else, too, but I can't think of it right now. I asked my brother what her favorite colors were, did she collect anything, and he was no help! lol She really liked them, luckily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi I LOVE the gift sets that I have seen in the gallery; paint can, stationery, note cards, bookmark, etc. Look at some of those maybe something will catch your eye!!

The Card Keeper Kit, Album Kits & Envelope Album
www.jencaputo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

You'll be in my neck of the woods - I'm guessing your son's on Oahu?! I'll keep an eye out for some quotes - sorry, can't think of any at the moment. I'm sure if she's a nice girl, she'll love whatever you make! Get ready for some hot and sunny weather!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

If she's starting college in the fall, how about a personalized journal or notebook? She is going to have alot of stuff that she has to write down, or she may just need to vent her feelings about this new experience in her life. She may just need to write down her shopping lists for school!

What brigade is your son in? My husband is in the Aviation brigade here at Wheeler & will be deploying in July. Is your son deploying also? PM me if you don't want to share that info here.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

My only advice is NOTHING Hawaiian (or hawaiian print, patterend) if you live here the last thing you want is more Hawaiian stuff we are surrounded with it can't get away from it and everyone that gives you stuff thinks you want more of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTigg
My only advice is NOTHING Hawaiian (or hawaiian print, patterend) if you live here the last thing you want is more Hawaiian stuff we are surrounded with it can't get away from it and everyone that gives you stuff thinks you want more of it!
I agree....
What about something representative of the area where you're from (and where you're son grew up)? ie: where I live we have our own brand of coffee. If you're someplace cold you could always put some mittens/hat in a paint can and say that they're for when her and your son come to visit. Just some ideas. HTH

Let us know what you decide to do and have a great trip!

http://whathappenedtohappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you all for the tips and advice!! I'll have to get crackin' my noggin' now on what to do and still have enough time to do it in!! Any good scrapping/stamping/paper craft stores on Oahu?

MILITARY TALK BELOW - STOP READING HERE IF THIS DOESN'T INTEREST YOU:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela R.
You'll be in my neck of the woods - I'm guessing your son's on Oahu?!
Yep - he is on Oahu. Except for the next 6 weeks. He shipped out today to California for combat training to get ready for Iraq.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.sutterfield
What brigade is your son in? My husband is in the Aviation brigade here at Wheeler & will be deploying in July. Is your son deploying also? PM me if you don't want to share that info here.
I'm not sure of his brigade - I know he is Infantry. Yes, he will be deploying to Iraq several months after returning from California. He passed his Ranger Indoctrination Program, and I was trying to get him to go to Ranger School first, but he has chosen to go to Iraq to get combat experience, because it helps when you go to Ranger School. Not that I like that idea - but it has always been his dream to be a Ranger, and I won't discourage him.

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

He's probably in 3rd Brigade, 25th ID. We're 3rd Battalion, 25th Aviation Brigade. Ask your son to put you in contact with the Family Readiness Group leader for his unit. They can keep you posted on happenings & events here in Hawaii, and may also send you email updates & newsletters. Sometimes the FRGs get together & put together care packages for the units & such.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I grew up in Hawaii and my parents still live there. Is she born and raised there? The big thing now to bring back from the mainland is snacks from Trader Joe's. Don't know if there are any close to you. Hawaii people really like food. Also Bath and Body isn't over there yet (as far as I know ) so that's another big thing to take when you visit.I know these aren't the stamped ideas you were looking for.

The box with notecards is very pretty -- you could make her a set to send and then give her a special card from you. Here is a link to newstamperamy's picture:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...p?photo=173646

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd do a paint can with notepads,maybe a check book cover,pens , candle , journaletc. i think simply circles or something simple with all matching stuff on them would be great , or maybe even if you knew her size a tank top rolled up inside with flip flops are always fun for young girls . i'd say it simply however you say it .
Reply With Quote Likes