Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Ideas needed, have a male teacher this year (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/ideas-needed-have-male-teacher-year-453616/)

stampinX6 08-13-2009 10:58 AM

Ideas needed, have a male teacher this year

My ds is in the 5th grade and he has a male teacher this year. I need ideas on gifts to give for back to school, christmas, etc. Thanks in advance.

53queenbee 08-13-2009 11:00 AM

Starbuck's gift card, see if the school will let you prepay his lunch (men love to eat), or Sonic gift cards. Every teacher loves Sonic ice--it is a stress reliever for us!

kikikaren 08-13-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbee (Post 14875762)
Starbuck's gift card, see if the school will let you prepay his lunch (men love to eat), or Sonic gift cards. Every teacher loves Sonic ice--it is a stress reliever for us!

Those are all good ideas. If you find out more about him, then you can figure out what kinds of good he likes to eat and get a gift certificate for his favorite restaurant, or one he might like. You can also get a gift certificate to a place like Home Depot if he's a home owner or likes tools. My MIL taught for 30 years and she said that while she appreciated the other gifts she'd get, the most useful were the gift certificates to stores and restaurants.

You can also do a pre-paid Visa card so he can buy whatever he wants.

NDStampGirl 08-13-2009 11:21 AM

As the wife of an elementary teacher I agree with the gift cards as well as general school supplies. Teachers supplies are very limited and he usually ends up buying his own post it notes, sharpies and pens just so he has what he likes. You can never go wrong with candy - any kind! As for Christmas, I don't suggest ornaments unless the teacher has a tree up in his room. My dh just bought a tree to start using this year since he has received so many ornaments, but otherwise we just don't have room on our tree at home for any more :)

gingerd 08-13-2009 02:35 PM

My dd had a male teacher. I made an altered clipboard covered with his favorite sports paper. He loved it and from what I have heard still uses it!

I also covered a large candy bar, an altered bucket with various candy in it and I gave a gift card.

Think of what you may make for a female and do it with male papers and items in it.

HTH,
Ginger

dawndreger 08-13-2009 02:39 PM

pens, pencils, erasers...if you want to make it crafty, create some kind of box or container for the gift.

tillyhead 08-13-2009 03:44 PM

Here's a link to a desk caddy I made for last year's teacher. I filled it with the crackers he kept stealing from DS during snack time, lol!

http://newhartfordstamper.blogspot.c...t-for-man.html

Judyw 08-13-2009 04:13 PM

Take him a case of his favorite soda pop, a movie night bucket with candy and a gift card, classroom supplies (things like markers and scissors that seem to walk off), a post it note holder, thank you cards for him to give out. Right now I have a small fishing tackle box on my blog. Really it is a nugget tin filled with Sweedish fish and gummy worms and the tag saus "Hooked on learning". We gave a couple to teachers at school this week.

I sent my 9 year old to school with a dozen Dunkin' Donuts for his first day of school, so his teacher could share with her friends.

GrammaPixel 08-13-2009 04:14 PM

I was a teacher for 32 years, and here is what my male staff members liked as gifts:

1- Food
2- Starbucks Card
3- A day a month of your time to help in the classroom
4- Home Depot/Lowes Card
5- Borders or other Bookstore Card
6- A great tie for those special days or nights, Christmas Program or Parent Night
7- A plant for the classroom
8- A home cooked lunch bought in just before the Lunch Bell Rings
9- Volunteer to help with a craft project for those times its expected..... Christmas, Mothers day.......... by volunteer I mean be ready to do it all, have all supplies ready and He will be your aide
10- Volunteer to be the parent who makes the phones calls for Classroom Parties

The list goes on, but most of the handmade, cute gifts i saw given to male teachers were taken home to wife or put in the file cabinet

A male teacher for young kids, wants help with the skills YOU have, volunteering is probably the gift most appreciated ........

natlhol 08-13-2009 06:48 PM

The gifts that were most appreciated that we gave to male teachers were the pretzel rings that I make every year. The thank you notes that we've gotten in return have almost always said that these treats never made it home because the teachers ate them all right away.

I've posted this link on other threads, but here it is again:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...-Pretzel-Rings

The ring pretzels can be found at Meijers and Jewel stores.

We've also given packs of Sharpies and Borders gift cards. The teachers have remarked how much they liked them.

Actually, we've given these to female teachers, too!

HTH, Helen

snowcountry311 08-13-2009 06:56 PM

if he is a new teacher. or new to this grade-he would love new/donated chapter books for this grade. make several bookmarkers
my son's teacher loved holiday ties.
also remember you will have all year to learn about him

CAKath 08-14-2009 12:31 PM

I made an altered clipboard for the coach. I also customized the insulated travel coffee mugs. Put the teachers' names on theirs with a Starbuck's gift card inside. The coffee mugs were a huge hit with male and female teachers as they never lose their mug now.

JulieHRR 08-14-2009 12:40 PM

How about a bottle of Crown Royale?

They oughta be treated like kings, for everything they do for our kids. ;)

OK. I am KIDDING. I AM KIDDING YOU!!!
:p

Altho, there were times, as a former teacher myself, I could have used a stuff drink at the end of some days. LOL! :shock:

Anything food or snack related is sure to be a hit, as others have said: Guys like FOOD. :mrgreen:

biblesistersmom 08-14-2009 05:38 PM

I usually do a gift card to our local bread store (gotta support the locals!) with some homemade jam for Christmas and a book store gift certificate for the end of the year. I also always buy a book for the classroom during book fair time. All of these are excellent ideas, ladies! I'm sure he will love whatever you come up with.

dstfrommi 08-14-2009 06:01 PM

Bookstore gift cards. :) They carry CD's too so he could also get music there.

stampinX6 08-14-2009 06:22 PM

Thanks for all of the great ideas. We have 4 in school this year and its going to be fun.

StampinDeb 08-14-2009 07:23 PM

Hi,

My youngest has had male teachers for 3 years now and we have always given them gift cards. There is a walmart right by our school and those gift cards were really appreciated since teachers spend so much of their own money on the kids. You can't go wrong with those.

Ruth Schow 08-19-2009 08:09 AM

My DD had a male teacher for KINDERGARTEN last year! He was great! And the good news...he's moving up with his class to first grade! These are great ideas, gals! We just gave him some candy last year, but thanks for gettin the ol brain thinking about back to school this year!

rbaldwin 08-19-2009 12:08 PM

We had a male teacher last year but had 3 female teachers and I wanted to do gifts that would work for everyone to make it easier on myself. For Xmas I bought age appropriate books for each class from their own Scholastic book orders (then they get credit for future purchases) and wrapped them up to add to the class library. For the end of the school year I did the movie nigh- bought nig bowls at the Dollar Tree, put boxes of micro popcorn, jumbo size candy boxes, a few regular size candy bars as fillers and Blockbuster gift cards. They were a big hit with all of the teachers. During the year we did small candy/food gifts- a bagalope at Halloween, small loaf of pumpkin bread at Thanksgiving, XL chocolate bars with stamped covers for Valentine's, Werther's in a mini metal bucket for St. Pat's, and origami carrots with candy for Easter. I realize most of these ideas don't require lots of stamping but I felt that these choices were easier. Good luck!

TrishG 08-19-2009 02:11 PM

My husband is a teacher.

He loves coffee, food, gift certificates for restaurants or a common store (ie. Home Hardware...) Did I mention coffee and food! He keeps all the cards from his students too, especially homemade ones.

crystalkbk 08-19-2009 07:38 PM

I have been blessed the last 3 years with male teachers...my son had one for kindergarten and my daughter had one 2, 3, and 4 grade...just found out she is having one AGAIN for 5th...Food is a big hit, I brought subway a few times, candy for the holidays, and my son's teacher loved our local collage football team. So there were plenty of little things I would stick in a pail/box I would alter always adding food or candy. They also enjoyed supplies for the classroom. I gave several times large things of snacks they could have on hand for themselves or students who didn't have breakfast. Hope this helps a little.

mrsjllove 08-20-2009 11:26 AM

My hubby is an 8th grade teacher (bless his little heart..LOL!)

He appreciates when he gets things like extra pencils and dry erase markers or gift certificates to the office supply store so he can buy reams of paper and stuff (and frankly, so do I because it leaves our expendable income to ME ME ME haha!) OH and FOOD. He won't eat anything home made (something about not knowing where it came from or who touched it...LOL) but he loves to get pre-packaged things as well as individually wrapped mini candy bars or whatnot and he hands them out in class if the students haven't been total terrors. haha

He'd REALLY appreciate a big ole bottle of red wine, but alas, that isn't allowed on campus. :mrgreen:

cardmaker2 08-20-2009 12:46 PM

Have your son watch for what snacks his teacher tends to keep at his desk. One teacher my DD had drank a couple diet pepsi's every day. We gave him a pack of that one time.

steubner 08-21-2009 05:51 PM

Just found out my first grader has a male teacher this year, and it's his first year teaching! So I'll be sending some Xanax....LOL

Seriously, these are great ideas! Thanks, y'all! :)