Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Ideas for earning $$ for stamping?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/ideas-earning-%24%24-stamping-249870/)

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-17-2007 07:33 AM

Ideas for earning $$ for stamping??

Hi! I know this topic has been addressed before, but I'd really like to revisit it, if that's okay (I'm assuming if it's not, I just won't get any responses!).

My boyfriend and I are currently on a single income and don't have a lot of extra cash.

BUT, there's a LOT of stamping stuff I would *love* to buy - just can't justify it coming from our budget, KWIM?

I'm hoping maybe you guys could help me brainstorm what I could do to earn some extra cash for stamping stuff. Hosting an SU party isn't a great option, because most of my friends are demos! Plus, I don't know many people that would actually be interested AT ALL in stamping.

I can sell cards to some people at my mom's work, but that's limited. I mean, they'll get sick of them eventually anyway. I work in an office of 3 people, none of whom like this stuff (2 are men), so that's out. Like I said, most of my friends are demos, so there's no point in trying to sell them cards. And family is all far away (next province) or huge snobs who would never buy a handmade card.

Craft sales... well, I have very, very mixed feelings about them. I haven't heard of many people doing very well at them in my area. My area is SATURATED with demos and customers, so that kinda sucks.

I guess I *could* get a second job, work part time for a few hours a week... I don't WANT to, but it just might be what I need to do in order to support my habit. It just feels like I don't even have enough time NOW as it is, KWIM?

Any other ideas? Please? I realize I've given a lot of "can'ts" in this post, which is why I'm really, really hoping you wonderful creative ladies can help!

stampingcottage 05-17-2007 07:41 AM

Is there a Michaels or other craft store in your area - You can try doing a class and that's how you would meet new people. I don't know whether or not you are a demo...My MILs friend is involved in church groups and the Kiwanis Club and they are always asking me to do a party to show them the items I sell and how to scrapbook and stamp. HTH - Good Luck.

patcreates 05-17-2007 07:43 AM

To earn my fun money, I teach Adult Education classes at a local High School. I teach Card Making and Scrapbooking and have been doing it for 2 years now. They pay me $20/hour and I can charge a materials fee. Check your local Adult Education programs....you don't have to just teach paper crafting classes. Our program teaches computer classes, craft classes and language classes. They even have other unique classes.....I recall a Singing in the Shower class one time. LOL You usually don't have to have experience in teaching, just a hobby or skill that you can teach.

DLS881 05-17-2007 07:43 AM

I think its a good idea to sell to your mom's friends/coworkers. I don't believe they'll get tired of buying them. Everyone sends cards for all occasions. Make a batch of different cards for them to choose over and keep it stocked. I think over time you'll see a profit. Don't overcharge. It will save them from running to the card store everytime they need a card

Also, what about selling items on ebay (not cards) to make cash.

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-17-2007 08:20 AM

I should also mention that I'm hoping to go back to school soon... which will leave me less time, and less $...

GAH! Maybe I should just give up stamping all together!

Jillgunter 05-17-2007 09:05 AM

How about a yard sale? Do you have stuff that you want to get rid of? We had one weekend before last and made over $300.

Bad Bev 05-17-2007 09:24 AM

I sell individual cards & sets of cards at two local craft fairs each year & am thinking about doing more. All of my profit from those go back into stamps & stamping paraphenalia. Also, about 8 years ago I told my mom to just give me checks for Xmas & birthdays so I feed my addiction. Now when I open the envelope and pull out the check I wave it in front of my nose & say "Mmmm, smells like rubber stamps!"

LoriBerry 05-17-2007 11:21 AM

My demo asked me (and a few others) to make the hostess gifts and door prizes she needs for her classes. She 'pays' me in product.

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-17-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriBerry
My demo asked me (and a few others) to make the hostess gifts and door prizes she needs for her classes. She 'pays' me in product.

That would be super awesome, but my demo is actually only a hobby demo and so doesn't do that. I know my old boss used to get to do that for her demo (who was a BIG demo) and she got "paid" VERY well. I was soooo jealous!

LoriBerry 05-17-2007 12:26 PM

I don't know how 'well' I get paid, but I'm averaging $18-$25 per month. It helps to supplement my own order (which is huge, I keep trying to cut it down to size, but it just keeps growing!) and I get to keep up my techniques and actually use the materials I buy. I'm such a hoarder of supplies; they all look so pretty on the shelves , etc!

navybrat75 05-17-2007 02:18 PM

What about selling Avon, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, or something of that nature?

Jillgunter 05-17-2007 02:49 PM

I wouldnt suggest Mary Kay as you have to order all your product and keep it on hand. I lost alot of money on Mary Kay, I couldnt sell it. I would only try a company that allows you to order as the customers request it with payment upfront.

nabush 05-17-2007 04:14 PM

Well, there's always the world's oldest profession...

Just kidding! I couldn't resist!

Nancy

scrappinthedayaway 05-17-2007 04:18 PM

ive started sub teaching at the kids school to make extra money to help buy the stuff but i like alot of your ideas i may try a few

SilverDragoness 05-17-2007 04:27 PM

Sounds like you need to send that boy to work. ;) If that's not possible remember to enjoy what you do have. There are a few posts floating around about how to be frugal in stamping and still have a great time. Have an embossing gun, powder, and a few colorful magazines? You can the the faux cloisnee technique. A brayer, glossy paper, and a crayon there you have another fun technique to try.

BasketMom 05-17-2007 04:53 PM

ebay - I'm sure you have things in your closets, kitchen or elsewhere that you could sell on ebay. I don't have the time to do this, but a girl I met told me that she scours garage sales for cheap things (like hardcover books for $1) and sells all of those finds on ebay - she makes a lot of money doing it. If you did that, you might even find some cheap stamp/scrap supplies while you're garage-sale-looking.

jtax 05-17-2007 05:07 PM

I have a friend who has a husband that likes expensive "toys." She tells him to go ahead and buy it (whatever that may be) as long as he sells another toy so he can pay for it. I have sort of done the same for myself. I sell stuff I had accumulated around the house on ebay and have used the proceeds to support my stamping habit! It also frees up some space for my new toys too! - that's a double bonus!!!

banana.cream.pie 05-17-2007 07:27 PM

EBAY!!!!

I make more $$ on ebay than I did at a Salaried Job! There are MANY SELLERS who do EBAY part time, full time, and MANY Stay-at-Home-Mom's who make some nice $$$ on EBAY. It's NOT CHEAP (anymore) to sell on ebay, but it certainly pays the bills! :D

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-18-2007 05:30 AM

So give me some more info on e-bay...
How much does it cost to sell?
Do clothes generally sell well on there? I've lost some weight recently and have a lot of clothes I need to get rid of.

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-18-2007 05:33 AM

Unfortunately sending the boy to work at the moment is NOT an option. He's a full-time student.

The oldest profession of all time is not an option, either! LOL

I really don't think I could sell anything from a direct sales company. I'm a) Not a good salesperson, and b) Not willing to devote the time to it. Plus there are a LOT of PC and Avon reps in the area, too.

Think I might give e-bay a try, or get a part-time (one evening a week) job serving at a restaurant somewhere.

allamericanstampers 05-18-2007 05:57 AM

There are some good threads about selling cards at work...ie. presentation, etc... I think craft fairs can be a huge cost investment and the results are very mixed and often disappointing. I know some gals do well so if you could get into a church bazaar or have a smaller start it might be less painful (ie have samples of the bigger items and take orders).

Do a search on Mystery Shopping/Shoppers...I once stumbled on a thread here and there were some great recommendations. Quite a few gals were pretty upbeat about it. :grin:

lgulotta 05-18-2007 06:27 AM

I support my stamping habit by having a paper route :-). It started out as my kids' route (of course) but as they got older and busier, I took it over and absolutely LOVE IT. For an average of 7 hours a week work, I earn about $125 every two weeks--more than enough for crafting spending money. And a great fringe benefit--I dropped over 10 pounds between physicals by ONLY adding the paper route into my regular life. Now, however, I dare not quit....

Miss Stamp-a-lot 05-18-2007 06:34 AM

I say send the boy to work, too. LOL. I was a full-time student, maintained honour standings, worked 30 hours/week while my finacee worked to support us. We needed the extra spending money so I helped out. It is all about managing time.

I am now a full-time accountant, part-time SU! Demo and also studying in the CGA program of professional studies.

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-18-2007 07:13 AM

Honestly, sending him to work will NOT help the situation. He will be working part time in the fall, but that won't give us any more money than we already have, because we currently take out a sum every month from his student loan to help cover costs. So all that him going to work will do is make that money STAY in the student loan fund so we have less to pay back later.

The idea of a paper route is intriguing, as is a Mystery Shopper. I'm totally going to look into both of those things!

Thank you ladies for all of the wonderfully varied and creative responses! I knew I could count on you!

Loneymops 05-18-2007 07:42 AM

men are good customers for cards. Just ask them when there wifes, mothers, and childrens birthday's are. And Anniversery. Then you file it away and remind them a week before that you can make them up a card. I have a calendar in outlook exprees that reminds me. I have a few I just mail out for friends. My husband also get cards made by one of my friends for me.
If you know people from church.
If you have local store that sells cards and stuff maybe ask them. Sometimes they might do consignment.

Just to make money other way:
If you have local home builders ask if they ever need someone to mystery shop and give you a report. In my area they pay about $100.00 per sales person shopped. Also call relators to see if they need someone to house sit on a weekends while they have an open house. They pay about $50-$100 a day.

Katie018075 05-18-2007 11:22 AM

Well, when I needed extra money, I joined the Army:-D Really I did! Ok, not really what you want to do tho...I think if you do a couple of the things mentioned in these posts, the$$ will add up...teach a few classes, sell a few cards, sell some stuff on ebay (you'll probably end up selling it to me cuz I stay on ebay!!!), I bet you'll have the extra funds for that new catty in no time!!! Good luck!

SCEmily 05-18-2007 12:24 PM

I started a thread last night asking if anyone knew of any legitimate stay at home jobs. Maybe something there will interest you. http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=250017

jailbirdstamper 05-18-2007 12:29 PM

I sold a ton of old books on Amazon and made a couple of hundred dollars! They don't sell for what you paid for them new (obviously) but it's extra cash I wouldn't have had otherwise.

ikimom 05-18-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
I should also mention that I'm hoping to go back to school soon... which will leave me less time, and less $...

GAH! Maybe I should just give up stamping all together!

GAH... back at ya!. Looked at your gallery and you do beautiful work, really top notch. I can't see them not selling well if your mom works in a place with lots of people. I sold some cards at work as part of Hurricane Katrina Relief fundraising and had several people ask about ordering sets of cards. It's not enought money to pay for the time spent, but it helps pay for the supplies. Nothing to lose by trying.

When you return to school and are still working part-time, you may have to put stamping on the back burner for awhile. You are too talented to give it up completely.

~ Kathy

GardenB 05-18-2007 02:14 PM

I don't suppose getting a boarder/roommate would be a possibility??

barb

Miabel 05-18-2007 02:41 PM

I actually sold Avon at one point in my life. I was a public school teacher then but you will be AMAZED at how much money you make (as long as you don't use the money to buy products...hahaha). In the end I gave it up because it was getting too big and I was really busy sorting all the merchandise. I highly recommend it and it really is up to you how much you want to sell. You can leave books door to door in your neighborhood, leave books at the local gyms and beauty salons, in public libraries and of course at work (or friends' work places, etc). You can also have a website and people from all over the country can order from your site. I believe it is a very minimal amount of money you have to invest. I think it's $25.00. It might have gone up since I did it (five years ago or so).

I think I convinced myself to do it! LOL

Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do!

taketime4you 05-18-2007 02:44 PM

I second the direct sales suggestion. I am a rep for Sensaria Natural Bodycare. I am not a 'sales' type person either and hated talking in front of people...but the bonus is that I make thank you cards for my hostesses, so anything I buy to use for that is a tax write off for my business. So that is worth it to support my habit a bit.

Good Luck!

Miabel 05-18-2007 02:46 PM

Also, some people here only have like two stamp pads and a couple of sets and just use those to make cards. I would buy like one really good word or all occasion set for your sentiments and some versatile stamps like the $1.00 Michael's stamps, etc. I have seen some really beautiful cards done with those. Some people just invest in some quality paper and then start the creative juices flowing with other items (like embossing with rolling pins, etc..lol). Some people make backgrounds out of household stuff (like actual cheesecloth or a piece of screen dabbed with ink, etc. I have even colored some of my stamping by using flowers. You mush up the flowers and take a brush with some water or even baby oil and just color your work like watercoloring or pencils, etc. Yikes, you have me going here!!!

shellyluwho 05-18-2007 02:49 PM

This is a great thread- I love all the ideas as I am on a limited budget as well. I also secret shop(lots on the internet one is shopncheck. sell handmade cards, and babysit one day a week for extra money. Just being frugal helps also. I know this may not be realistic for everyone, but I buy most of my clothes at yardsales and thrift shops. We also limit eating out and try to buy only things we need foodwise (I still have my diet soda and chocolate, I am addicted to more than just stamping). I love the ebay idea- I sold some homeschool curriculum and almost made as much as it cost brand new.

LOLThe only thing I haven't tried is the world's oldest profession. :)

sv133 05-18-2007 04:11 PM

I feel your pain

I too want to spend hoards of $$ on new goodies but can not justify it. Therefore, I only spend the $$ I make selling cards. If you look at my gallery, you will see that I make personalized stationary sets. They sell as christmas/b-day/ mother's day/ valentine day/ graduation gifts for women and girls. They are also great teacher gifts for end-of-year. I make clipboards for teachers and they are a very big seller. I have not done it yet but another idea is to have a card-making night at your house. Charge -- for example -- $10 per person to make and take home 3 cards. Five guests means $50. The trick is to find a paying audience. I am a stay-at-home mom so it is easy for me to find other moms looking for gifts. Then spend ONLY your earnings. That is hard too.

Cynamom 05-18-2007 05:07 PM

Similar to something suggested here, I know a college gal that made a MINT cleaning model homes for a builder. It was NOT a hard job since you know, those houses are so nice and clean anyway. You basically just go around to the high traffic things... things people touch a lot, the obvious places. I might look into this for myself.

Cindy

banana.cream.pie 05-18-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
So give me some more info on e-bay...
How much does it cost to sell?
Do clothes generally sell well on there? I've lost some weight recently and have a lot of clothes I need to get rid of.

The FEES start at .20 to start an auction for.99 cents
.40 cent listing fee for items $1.00-$9.99
.60 listing fee for $10.00-$24.99 and so on...then ebay collects a FINAL fee based on a the total of you final amoutn. 5.25% for the first $25.00, then I think 3% after $25.00 & up.
Some folks sell stuff they find at Yard Sales, thrift stores, or in their own home or from other ebay Sellers. :D

SilverDragoness 05-19-2007 09:25 AM

I was just teasing I figured he was doing something like school. I know personally how much time that can take up and it's not always realistic to work while doing that. Don't give up on the hobby just because of school. You may have less time but sometimes it is necessary to make time in order to keep your sanity. Trust me last term was 22 credits of grad school insanity and getting to stamp occasionally even if it was only once a month was bliss.

I'm lucky because my mom shares the enjoyment of this hobby and she purchases quite a bit and we share. Plus we've been doing it for a few years and have accumulated a lot of things. We look for sales and often purchase clearance stuff from an assortment of stores to get our fix. Perhaps you can find someone to trade stamp sets with or borrow each others so you have something new to play with. There is also the WRAK group here that you could join I've gotten a ton of images to play with just by simply sending some out in return.

Perhaps you can set aside a small amount for craft purchases. Maybe $10 or $15 a month that you might ordinarily spend on something else that you can cut out of your life. I know there are always a million things that I want for craft stuff but I usually don't need them. This site always seems to help a lot for the lust for new craft toys. ;) I often wait for awhile on new purchases to see if they continue to be on the list of my wants and then go ahead and purchase them.

Maxell 05-19-2007 12:43 PM

I am new to stamping and frugal in nature so I will usually only buy stamps when I have the 40% coupon I get online from Hobby Lobby. Their Hero Arts, Stampabilites, etc. are good stamps and they have a fairly nice assortment. I don't have access to Michael's coupons since I am in a rural area. I have also bought stamps off Ebay.

I buy Georgia Pacific white cardstock from Wal-Mart and most of my colored stock from Hobby Lobby. I pick up embellishments when I see them being closed out or on sale. The last brads I got at HL were 1/2 price. Look for bargains.

I don't have a snobbish bone in my body so this works for me. :)