Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   I would love some design help (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/i-would-love-some-design-help-340020/)

chickadee3357 04-12-2008 07:09 AM

I would love some design help

I made this card and it is okay. I feel like it needs something more, but I can't tell what. Do you know what could help my card? Please leave me some feedback. I would love love love to know what you think. (And if willing, I would love feedback on more than just this card in how to improve my card making skills.)

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...1467?nocache=1

Thank you!

airbornewife 04-12-2008 07:13 AM

It's pending approval right now.. I'll check back later ~ can't wait to see!

Pam

stampinchampin 04-12-2008 07:14 AM

Opps, still pending. I was ready to critique away! You are brave! I am a preschooler compare to most here and I would probably cry if I got critiques!

Will check back later.

chickadee3357 04-12-2008 07:17 AM

It should be showing now.

airbornewife 04-12-2008 07:18 AM

it's still showing pending or me.. off to get some things sorted for donations.. I'll peek back later.. I checked out your blog ~ fun stuff!
Pam

marymn 04-12-2008 07:20 AM

Still pending, but I will keep watch so I can help you out if I can.
Mary

calgramma 04-12-2008 07:43 AM

Still pending, but I did post a comment.

chickers089 04-12-2008 07:49 AM

From what I can see in the thumbnail, lol, maybe put an image on the "envelope" flap? Something small?

chickadee3357 04-12-2008 08:11 AM

I have received the email that it should be showing an hour ago. Is it showing yet?

marymn 04-12-2008 08:13 AM

It's finally showing!! I agree with both calgramma and chickers089. It does seem to need something on the flap, but I can't decide whether it should be 'Just a Note', or just something small like another flower or something. It looks really good as is, but something on the flap would improve it.
Hope that helps!
Mary

mamatygress 04-12-2008 08:19 AM

Definately needs something on that flap. An image or flower or something to fill up the empty space.

Lady of Leisure 04-12-2008 08:21 AM

How bout using part of your stamp with the letter J - maybe just the trailing tendril bit - on the flap? Or punch out a small shape from the paper you used across the bottom.

Stampin' Annie 04-12-2008 08:22 AM

I agree. Something should be added to the flap. I was thinking maybe a Prima or other 3D flower in the center (or stamp one and pop it up on dimensionals), or maybe some rhinestones or Dew Drops along the edges?

SophieLaFontaine 04-12-2008 08:24 AM

It is showing now! I had a look, and this is what came to mind... the top part is sweet, simple, and clean. The lower part is elegant and ornate.

Maybe try to unify them a bit? Stamping "Just a Note" on the envelope flap like the others suggested would add some ornate-ness to the top part. Also, maybe if you have a little dot stamp (or a hole puncher), you could mimic the dots in the top part and add little dots in different colours on the blue space underneath "Just a Note".

But it is a pretty card as is, if you'd just rather leave it be. :)

speedycatstamps 04-12-2008 08:30 AM

Sometimes it is hard to critique someone elses work. Since you asked I guess I will try.

First I see two different styles clashing. Elegant and Cute. I would go with a one or the other. I like the envelope concept but maybe leave off the rose paper and use a cute font for the wording on the envelope flap. Just bring down the envelope to fill out the bottom of the card. Hope that makes sense.

If you wanted elegant I would make a close to cocoa card and put a subtle background on it and then layer the rose paper and put it two thirds of the way down on the card and the sentement down below and put the ribbon running through the rose paper. Maybe emboss the sentiment too.

al_silver2 04-12-2008 09:18 AM

I agree with the pps about competing elements on your card. As well as styles (elegant vs. cute), I am finding that my eye is not finding a focal point to rest on. The ribbon, sentiment, pink flap and dps are all strong elements on their own, therefore my eye bounces from one to the other and back again. Maybe try to pick a main focal point and allow the other elements to complement, not compete with it...Hope this makes sense and helps you a bit ;)

chickadee3357 04-12-2008 12:32 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will play with it this afternoon and hopefully I will figure something out.

Thank you again, I really appreciated the comments!

Cook22 04-12-2008 01:04 PM

I would agree too about it being two styles - it's almost like two separate cards. I think I would have done the flap in the same spotty paper, maybe sponged the edges with brown to help it stand out even more, as well as being popped up like you have. And some sort of Prima or something that would look like a seal. Or, if you have more of the paper from the bottom, one of the roses from that cut out, and that would tie the two halves together? I'd love to see what you do come up with. It's so frustrating when you've put effort into something and it just doesn't feel right. I know!!

chickadee3357 04-12-2008 03:05 PM

Alright, so I changed it with the help of everyone's suggestions.
Here was the first take on it: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=158156

Then after I took the picture and uploaded it I had an idea. So here is the second improved take: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=158156

Suggestions are still welcomed. If you think this could still use help, I am totally open. You could be completely ruthless and I would be fine with it. Please let me know.

marymn 04-12-2008 04:48 PM

Ok- I like them both, but I love the second one with the flower.
With all the great suggestions and critiques here for this one card, I'm going to have to start doing that for cards that I think are almost there but need some help.
What a great resource and you took all suggestions and made it work better!!
Mary

stampingout 04-12-2008 06:45 PM

I really like the added flower on the second one. I was wondering if maybe instead of using the swirly embossing folder if you could use the swiss dot or one with circles to match your DP? Just a thought! I like the colors you used on this card. Very nice!

austamper 04-12-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedycatstamps (Post 9491089)
Sometimes it is hard to critique someone elses work. Since you asked I guess I will try.

First I see two different styles clashing. Elegant and Cute. I would go with a one or the other.

I agree. I don't know how to bring the two together though.

airbornewife 04-12-2008 06:48 PM

That's a neat card... I would layer another piece of cardstock on that flap.. mabye something scalloped on the bottom two edges.. or some piercing along the edges.

Pam

austamper 04-12-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadee3357 (Post 9493573)
Alright, so I changed it with the help of everyone's suggestions.
Here was the first take on it: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=158156

Then after I took the picture and uploaded it I had an idea. So here is the second improved take: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=158156

Suggestions are still welcomed. If you think this could still use help, I am totally open. You could be completely ruthless and I would be fine with it. Please let me know.

LOVE the second one!! :)

chickadee3357 04-12-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingout (Post 9495805)
I really like the added flower on the second one. I was wondering if maybe instead of using the swirly embossing folder if you could use the swiss dot or one with circles to match your DP? Just a thought! I like the colors you used on this card. Very nice!

I totally agree with using the swiss dot folder, but I don't have it. I have tiny bubbles, but I didn't think that would work as well.

Katie018075 04-12-2008 07:55 PM

The second is perfect! LOOOVELY!!

LaLatty 04-13-2008 04:58 AM

I really like the card with the flower you added....much better now :) Great job!

MaryAnnK 04-13-2008 05:31 AM

Just looked at your blog and saw version 3 of the card. I really like that. TFS

stamphappy1650 04-13-2008 05:11 PM

The last card is so much better - way to go! One thing to consider when making a card is - what is your focal point? What do you want the viewer to see first? Once you decide that, all the other elements need to lead your eye to the key element. I find that once I make that decision, the rest of the card will fall into place.

ndeelou 04-13-2008 05:56 PM

yes!!! The new and improved is wayyyy fabooo!!
I agree, but didn't know how to say, that you had two styles going in your original card. I am guessing if you pulled them apart, you could still make a wonderful card with that rose dp and the fancy embossed just a note. So the suggestions have given you two cards for the work of one.

as far as how to get better....
first, If I knew I wouldn't be on the computer,I would be actually making stuff!

Second, practice,practice,practice and don't be afraid to make really hideous things.. (It helps to stamp with a friend so you can have a hideous art making contest. and then it helps if she has children who will help judge the "winner")
But if you look at the blogs of the stars, they stamp every single day. They make it a commitment like brushing their teeth or brushing their hair (who ever sees the back of your head anyway?)
So keep at it!
You are already brave and posting rock star gallery offerings!!

Betsy