Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What reasons do you purchase...

Stamp sets? I am a hobby demo, so I am not buying for business reasons. Sometimes I wish I would demo so that I could purchase sets that would be fun to demo with, (not that all the sets aren't fun). A perfect example would be Bubble Queen! I don't have any practical use for this Queen...Darn it!!!!I tend to buy stamp sets I fell I will use often. I scrapbook and make cards, so if a set can be used for both I'm extra happy. I also buy sets that you can get many different looks from. Ok, I'm rambling on.........What inspires you to buy a set? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Usually I buy sets that I think I'll be able to use for both scrapbooking and cards. But there are some sets I have that I bought because I know someone who has an interest in that and I can make cards for them. Every once and awhile I'll buy a set just because I like and usually I find a "practical" use for it later.

If you really like Bubble Queen, put it on a wish list and have someone else buy it for you. Really though, I bet you'd find a use for "You're Fabulous" for someone you know and that little cluster of flowers would be perfect for a spring scrapbook page.

If you still really like it in a month or so, I say GO FOR IT!
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 02:35 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Default Bubble Queen

I'm not a demo either - so I buy sets that I simply like. If you like Bubble Queen, you could use that set for: 1) daughter in the tub - scrapbook pages; 2) use the facial girl or soap bottles in that set to make cards for your hairdresser at Christmas - cheaper than giving her a big tip or another gift; 3) make gift card sets for your girlfriends/mom/sisters at Christmas or on their birthdays - use a "just a note" or "it's your day" with it and it's a multi-purpose notecard; 4) use it to make a coordinating card when giving bath/body works type gifts to friends; 5) if you have a little girl, maybe for her next birthday you could do a spa-themed party and use it to make party invites - include an emery board and toe-seperators with each little girl's invite.

Between me and my friends, we usually can think up half a dozen reasons why we "need" a stamp set if we like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few that I've bought that I am so-so about because others said they were "versatile". . . . but I've found that if I buy what I love, I will use it! Granted, a lot of my rubber languishes on the shelves, just begging to be used. . . and I don't have a lot of free time lately to answer the call!

I say buy what you absolutely LOVE. If you're hot for it, put it on your list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

I'm easy... you convinced me, I'm going to get Bubble Queen! But this is not the only stamp set that I like and don't have a practical use for. So Have I figured you both out? you buy if you like it... not being really sure how you will use it. Would you buy a set that you like just to make samples for SCS? I know demos don't always love the sets they demo... they do it cause they will sell! Thanks for your input! Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I too just buy what I love. If I don't like it I won't use it and one I love has a lot better chance of seeing daylight.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, I've recently realized I'm not very good at buying stamp sets. Like I bought Coast to Coast because it's retiring, and I love it, but it's not very practical is it?

I bought fishy friends because I thought I'd make a gel card, but I have yet to make one.

Ya know, it seems by the time the order comes in, I can't remember why I ordered what I did. I need to be more practical. I need some versatile sets that I'll actually make a card with! ;)

And out of the few sets I do have, more then half are some sort of background. I have 3 of the big backgrounds, two of the little sets of four (petite patterns and beyond basics), and shape ups. So six of the 16 sets I own are backgrounds. And I have three wheels.

But I just discovered the joys of the buy/sell/trade forum, somaybe there is hope for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #8  
PAPER SCAPER

My family just isn�t into exchanging cards anymore, well they never were! I love to make cards so my way of using them is to donate to charity. That way if I love a set I can buy it.
The kid�s cards go to kid�s charities or RAKs that I see a need for here at SCS or the other two boards I visit. When I get tired of kids cards I can make some for adults and send to the soldiers. Either way I can enjoy doing what I love to do. I was born to create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the other posters, I buy what I love and what catches my eye - often without practical reasons. Usually though I do put all my sets to good use and of course the SCS galleries provide ample inspiration. Sometimes I see a great card in the gallery for a set I did not think I needed and then put it on my next order!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I also buy sets that I like, because I know I'll use them. Every once in a while I'll buy a set for practical reasons, like the Business Memos. Once, I bought the Star Spangled set b/c I was doing a workshop for an At Home America consultant and I didn't have any patriotic sets. Now I really like the set! Sometimes they grow on me...

Lisa
John 16:33

A stranger's just a friend you haven't met!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I buy what I love!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #12  
The Digi-Freak

I buy cause I gotta have it and it is cute or it cracks me up! (stewpot pals)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy whatever tickles my fancy at the moment, and pay very little attention to how practical it is! Sad, but true. I am getting very good at challenging myself lately though. I'll think of a set that I haven't used in forever, and then make it a point to use that set for my next card. When I do swaps, I try to pick ones that make me use things I wouldn't normally have a use for.

I totally dig Bubble Queen. It's on the top of my list for my next order!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Since I'm still building my collection (Aren't we all) and money isn't floating like water out of a faucet, I try to be more practical with what I buy. Have a real hard time just getting something for the fun of it because I always feel I could use my money better or there's something from my "basic" supply list I ought to get or I just can't get myself to spend that kind of money. I love to shop for supplies, but I just can't get myself to spend the money.
Reply With Quote Likes