Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   I ruined my stamps (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/i-ruined-my-stamps-251785/)

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 11:00 AM

I ruined my stamps

I think I ruined my sets. I put all my acrylic stamps in hot soapy water because they were so dirty I had tried Ultra clean and that didnt work well and so I soaked them. Now they are not clear they are foggy and I cant see through them. Do you have any suggestions how to fix this? Please help:(

robynstamps 05-24-2007 11:16 AM

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry! I hope you can get them fixed soon!!

Robyn

stamps&cars 05-24-2007 11:26 AM

Are they 'dry' all the way? I'm wondering if the acrylic absorbed so much moisture from being soaked that they are foggy. They may be foggy but if the image still stamps okay, then all is not lost.

jpmayo 05-24-2007 11:27 AM

I only have the acrylics from Paper Trey but they say that they can be washed in warm soapy water...I hope your are ok!

gmcbunny 05-24-2007 12:05 PM

Try air drying them, that's the only thing I can think of. They should still stamp ok

phlpsfamily01 05-24-2007 12:15 PM

what is ultra clean? Sounds to me like that did it. Check with the manufacturer, but I don't think it's reversable. They should still stamp just fine.

JampsterStampster 05-24-2007 12:18 PM

That's just the nature of the beast to go foggy that way. They'll clear up in a little while. Don't worry, they're OK!

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JampsterStampster
That's just the nature of the beast to go foggy that way. They'll clear up in a little while. Don't worry, they're OK!

Do they become foggy because they were wet? They clear up when they are completely dry?

allidee 05-24-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlpsfamily01
what is ultra clean? Sounds to me like that did it. Check with the manufacturer, but I don't think it's reversable. They should still stamp just fine.

Ultra Clean is a stamp cleaner and conditioner. I've never had it turn any of my clear stamps foggy, regardless of the stamp manufacturer.

Does the fogginess appear to be on the surface of the stamp or is it all the way through?

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allidee
Ultra Clean is a stamp cleaner and conditioner. I've never had it turn any of my clear stamps foggy, regardless of the stamp manufacturer.

Does the fogginess appear to be on the surface of the stamp or is it all the way through?

It just seems to be on the surface.

Cat 05-24-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
Do they become foggy because they were wet? They clear up when they are completely dry?

OK - i know this probably isn't the same thing, but... I don't have a diswasher, so sometimes (ok, ok, LOTS of times), I have a water filled sink with dishes waiting to be washed. If I leave them too long, the clear polymer-like protector in the bottom of my sink gets 'foggy'. It clears up after a while. I think it's just water logged.

I'm thinking your stamps will be fine - just let them airdry a little longer.

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
OK - i know this probably isn't the same thing, but... I don't have a diswasher, so sometimes (ok, ok, LOTS of times), I have a water filled sink with dishes waiting to be washed. If I leave them too long, the clear polymer-like protector in the bottom of my sink gets 'foggy'. It clears up after a while. I think it's just water logged.

I'm thinking your stamps will be fine - just let them airdry a little longer.

Ok I will do that. Thanks guys I was in tears thinking I ruined them.

Kathyc 05-24-2007 01:10 PM

Check Nichole Heady's blog (you can get there via Papertrey); her most recent entry talks about cleaning her stamps and that she soaks them every once in a while! You might feel better after reading her advice! :D

PUGMAMA 05-24-2007 01:13 PM

I checked with my local stamp gal at my local stamp shop. She said on acrylic stamps, you do not use any stamp cleaner (especially the ultra clean). She said just soap and water. Maybe the stamps are foggy because they are no thoroughly dry. Anyways, I thought I would just pass that on to you!

Ladybugb919 05-24-2007 01:13 PM

What kind of soap did you use? The original blue Dawn is the best to use. Avoid any antibacterial or ones that have lotion.

Sereikastamper 05-24-2007 01:37 PM

I have had this happen once when I used an odd dish soap...the stamps never were perfectly clear again until I rewashed them with Ultra Clean and let them dry out.....don't worry Sarah... all is not lost...and just a quick point...I have used Ultra Clean for over a year now and all of my stamps are as clean as they can be! :)

gmcbunny 05-24-2007 01:45 PM

I too have used stamp cleaners on my acrylix for a few years now and have had no problems whatsoever

Jillgunter 05-24-2007 04:17 PM

I think they will clear up, Natalia's paci's get like that when I soak them for a long time. They just probally need a few days to dry out.

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
I have had this happen once when I used an odd dish soap...the stamps never were perfectly clear again until I rewashed them with Ultra Clean and let them dry out.....don't worry Sarah... all is not lost...and just a quick point...I have used Ultra Clean for over a year now and all of my stamps are as clean as they can be! :)

I will try re washing them with the Ultra Clean. Thanks Keri :)

Also they are not sticking to my blocks, should I wait a few days and try again?

jazzytobi 05-24-2007 06:07 PM

i just bought the BEST cleaner for photo-polymer stamps by ranger.. it's AMAZING!!! lookie here:

http://www.rangerink.com/product_per...lycleaner.html

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 06:30 PM

Ok everyone all is right with the world again. I cleaned them with Ultra Clean and dried them on a towel. Thanks so much Kim for saving me. LOL.

The MFT Lady 05-24-2007 06:37 PM

I think Keri was right there with me...great minds think alike! :)

Mahloumel 05-24-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUGMAMA
She said on acrylic stamps, you do not use any stamp cleaner (especially the ultra clean).

All respect to your LSS staffer, but Ultra Clean is made for use on photopolymer stamps by Stewart Superior, the leading photopolymer stamp manufacturer in North America.

SkyesMom 05-24-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandmvds

Oh I forgot about Keri, where would I be without you too.

housefan 05-25-2007 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel (Post 5899964)
All respect to your LSS staffer, but Ultra Clean is made for use on photopolymer stamps by Stewart Superior, the leading photopolymer stamp manufacturer in North America.

Yesterday I was in a store that is moving from wood stamps to all clear stamps, slowly. She said they will sell only Ultra Clean as it is designed for all stamps but particularly for clear stamps.

Sereikastamper 05-25-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom (Post 5900025)
Oh I forgot about Keri, where would I be without you too.

:( You forgot about me??? ( off to cry :( )

Just kidding!!!

I am so glad that all is well with them now...I remember when it happened to me I was sick with fear I had ruined an ENTIRE SET!!!

Sereikastamper 05-25-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandmvds (Post 5899669)

HI KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need to talk to you! LOL Maybe I will see you in FL?

Sereikastamper 05-25-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan (Post 5902397)
Yesterday I was in a store that is moving from wood stamps to all clear stamps, slowly. She said they will sell only Ultra Clean as it is designed for all stamps but particularly for clear stamps.

It is true...Ultra Clean is wonderful for clear stamps as well as red rubber...and NEVER have I seen a cleaner work better for solvent inks like STAZON!!!! :)

pryor208 05-25-2007 06:19 AM

well, if you're desperate to be able to see the image you're stamping, you could always stamp them on scrap paper with stazon and then wait before cleaning them, so that the black ink will stay on the image and you might be able to see it better through the foggy plastic. that's all i can think of if they don't clear up.

HeatherHolbrook 05-25-2007 10:42 AM

You can/should use a cleaner made for stamps on your clear stamps, soap and water is fine sometimes, mostly to restore the cling, but probably shouldn't be used daily. If you do used soap and water do not let your stamps soak for too long in the water, just rinse them, or they can absorbe too much water and get mushy and cloudy.

JulieHRR 05-25-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper (Post 5902602)
It is true...Ultra Clean is wonderful for clear stamps as well as red rubber...and NEVER have I seen a cleaner work better for solvent inks like STAZON!!!! :)

THANK YOU, RICK!!!!

Thanks to you, gazillions of rubbah luvvahs all ovaaah the world are so haaaaappppppppyyy!!!
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wetkissf.gif

(He's the chem guy at Stewart that developed Ultra Clean!)

Gotta love the Rick-maiester! ;)

Jeanne S 05-25-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR (Post 5905702)
THANK YOU, RICK!!!!

Thanks to you, gazillions of rubbah luvvahs all ovaaah the world are so haaaaappppppppyyy!!!
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wetkissf.gif

(He's the chem guy at Stewart that developed Ultra Clean!)

Gotta love the Rick-maiester! ;)

Ok.....got a chuckle here. Did any of you ever think we would get so excited about any kind of a cleaner? Miss Julie you crack me up ;)

BasketOHearts 05-25-2007 11:25 AM

I have used stamp cleaner, soap and water (on the stamps only, not blocks), and plain water from a spray gun to clean my CTMH stamps. I've never had any problems.

If you have acrylic blocks, those are probably more fragile than the stamps. Using a cleaner with alcohol on your blocks may cause them to get hairline cracks over time. On another note . . .I've run my blocks through the dishwasher (on the top rack) with no problems. They get sparkly clean.

star 05-26-2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper (Post 5902602)

Now addding Ultra Clean to my list of "things I need"!!!

JulieHRR 05-26-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 5905744)
Ok.....got a chuckle here. Did any of you ever think we would get so excited about any kind of a cleaner? Miss Julie you crack me up ;)

Heck no, Jeanne! I have yet to find a household cleaner that impresses me as much as Ultra Clean! :mrgreen:

'course, I do avoid housework by stamping as much as possible, bein' that "housework makes ya' ugly", and whatnot. bwah hahahaaaaaaaaaa! ;)

Sereikastamper 05-26-2007 07:50 AM

It is true...Ultra Clean is something that EVERY stamper should own...

And Julie - if housework makes you ugly does the lack of doing it make you beautiful??? If so....Here comes AMERICAS NEXT TOP MODEL!!!!!!! LOL
Just kidding....I do keep house pretty well I guess......I mean shoot I can see that I have tile and wood floors!!! :D