Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   I need ideas on how to store scrap pieces of cardstock (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/i-need-ideas-how-store-scrap-pieces-cardstock-178790/)

lisaobrien 08-29-2006 06:11 PM

I need ideas on how to store scrap pieces of cardstock

Ok, everyone. I am finally starting to make some real progress in organizing my stampin room. I need some ideas on storing scrap pieces of cardstock. Right now I have a 2 drawer plastic cart thing that holds hanging pendaflex. In those I put folders with the tabs. They perfectly hold my 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock. I just throw the scraps back in the folders but when I pull the folders out for projects, well there goes all the little pieces. I was just looking for some ideas. How do you store your scraps?

I am new to the posting part of SCS, so I don't know if there is already a thread like this or people have asked this before. I appologize if I have duplicated something.

Thanks
Lisa

lilyinkpad 08-29-2006 06:16 PM

I do it the same way.

A friend puts them in a big drawer and then only lets her kids use them.

I like to find them when I need a piece.

Hopefully, someone else has better ideas!

lisaobrien 08-29-2006 06:17 PM

I let the kids play with the non-stampin up papers. I try to savor every last piece of SU cardstock.

Thanks

trefoil 08-29-2006 06:22 PM

Don't worry about duplicating something. Different people are here on different days and different thread titles catch the eye. :)

I keep my scraps in a plastic magazine holder separated into various color groupings (like reds, blues, browns, etc.). I keep the scraps closer to me than I do the whole paper, so I'm inspired to check for scraps first.

Here is a thread with some other ideas:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=177527

Joy A Borwege 08-29-2006 06:49 PM

My stamp sets are on a wall out of their boxes. I store the boxes and use them when I need to show the full set.

I have 2 plastic boxes for each color family. In each box there is 6 colors and each are labled as to what is inside. I keep anything smaller than a quarter sheet of card stock in each. If it's smaller than 1/2 x 1/2 inch...it may get tossed if the box is over flowing. I tend to use my scraps better that they are organized. The Very Vanilla and Whisper White have their own boxes.

Joy~

MBWHITAKER 08-29-2006 07:18 PM

Thread: I need ideas on how to store scrap pieces of cardstock Reply to Thread

I have three boxes. One is white scraps, one is colored scraps and one is stamped scraps. Works well for me.

tusky2 08-29-2006 07:47 PM

I'm pretty frugal when it comes to paper (especially Chocolate Chip) because I use it on almost every card I make. I store my scraps in a plastic storage unit on wheels (the one with multiple clear plastic drawers). This sits right next to my desk. I use one drawer for the small scraps, one for the medium size scraps and a third for the larger scraps.

LMstamps 08-29-2006 07:55 PM

I have every color of SU Cardstock. i have each color in a separate file folder (and all the files are in a very long file box. I put the scraps of an individual color in a small ziplock and put it in the file folder with that color. this works well for me. When I am am using a certain color of cardstock, I always check the ziplock first to see if the size is in there first, before I cut into a full piece of paper. :-) LM

mztamela 08-29-2006 08:34 PM

I keep my scraps in quart sized zipper bags in a shoebox. The bags are labeld with a sharpie with their Stampin Up name and are in alphabetical order. I place a half sheet in the back of the bag so they are easier to see and they stand up better.

I also keep my cardstock in bags this way in another shoebox. I cut them into halves and also place quarters in with them. If I use a partial piece and there is still a quarter of the piece it goes in with the halves, otherwise odd and small pieces, go in with the scraps.

These two boxes are placed sideways in one of my drawers in my filing cabinet which sits next to my desk, making it easy to just open the drawer and pull out what I need.

Whole sheets are left in the bottom drawer in their package.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

scrappintica 08-29-2006 09:03 PM

I've taken a 2"- 3-ring binder and 48 page protectors and each protector has it's own color and they are separated by families. I also put a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in each protector so that they stand up and I can see every color easily. My in colors I keep in my filing cabinet with all the rest of the stash.
Hope this helps.

Laurie FW 08-29-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintica
I've taken a 2"- 3-ring binder and 48 page protectors and each protector has it's own color and they are separated by families. I also put a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in each protector so that they stand up and I can see every color easily. My in colors I keep in my filing cabinet with all the rest of the stash.
Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I do! I got this idea off of here and I call it my "Book of Colors!" My binder is the largest size I could find, however! I can easily flip through the colors to find the one I want and I can see all the sizes I have through the clear page protectors. HTH!

Jami 08-29-2006 10:32 PM

I've used several methods over the years and have finally found one that actually works for me as far as using my scraps and also putting them away. My CS is kept in hanging folders with labeled tabs (rainbow fashion - all the pinks, all the reds, all the greens etc.) in a 2-drawer file caabinet Each color has it's own hanging folder. In the front of each folder is a top load page prtector labeled in sharpie with the color name. This holds all scraps size half sheet or smaller. I really like having all my CS in one place rather than having my scraps separate. When I'm working with particular colors I can bring the page protector out and put scraps in as I go and then slip it back in the folder when I'm done. When I want a certain color I can check my scraps and immediately pull out a full sheet when needed.

lindylou1220 08-30-2006 03:34 AM

I have a few "methods" (haha) -- I store my SU! CS in racks, two colors per bin. The scraps go in page protectors in each bin. (I was slipping the scraps back into the bags the CS came in, but it's too flimsy since they're not really bags, per se.)

I also have one of those small 3x5 photo albums that are usually $1. My upline stores her smallest scraps that way, but I'm finding it to be a pain, especially when it gets a bit full.

I've also kept the 1/2" strips that we seem to get so many of in a large baggie. Even though they're all jumbled in, it's still pretty easy to pick out colors from that.

My non-SU! CS scraps go into an Iris cart if they 1/4 sheet or larger (in a jumble) and the smaller ones go in a shoebox (again in a jumble). I regularly offer the latter to my customers for clean out.

olivia'smom 08-30-2006 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintica
Hope this helps.

Now as I was reading this, I was thinking wow these people are very good and I am very lazy but this idea seems good to me. I don't have a lot of time for stamping so just so the scraps are put away in their folders I usually am ok with that.

lisaobrien 08-30-2006 03:55 AM

So many ideas. Thank You. Can you believe I lost sleep over this last night? Only because I was excited to see what everyone replied for ideas and because I can't wait to tackle this task today. I have scraps all over my craft table downstairs. ALL OVER. I have the haning files into the 2 drawer unit but I can't fit anything else in there. I am hoping to make more room in there by taking out the scraps. I was thinking the binder idea after I read all these. I have to go to Stapled this morning to pick up the last thing my ds need for Kindergarten orientation tomorrow.

Thank you everybody. If you have anymore good ones, throw them out there.

Thanks
Lisa

Soozie4Him 08-30-2006 04:33 AM

I have my scraps in quart-sized One Zip bags. Each SU color has it's own bag and I keep them in a drawer in one of my Iris Carts, and they're right next to me when I stamp. I keep them with their Color Family, not really in any order w/in that family. Works great for me! When I'm busy, I just toss my scraps into a plastic shoe box (Container Store type), then when I have a little time, I sort them and put them in their baggie with other scraps of the same color. When it comes time to punch stuff out, or do small layers, I always go for the scraps and even for Stamp Camps I'm usually able to use the scraps, esp for punched pieces.

Hope this helps,
Susan

lisaobrien 08-30-2006 04:55 AM

I love the keeping a plastic shoe box tote nearby and just toss the scraps in there unitl you have time to sort.