Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #161  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsForums at Splitcoaststampers
Yes, Jennifer is about the only one I know I like some in UK. but can't remember there name. And some of their accents are hard for me understand them. So, I get board with them too!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #162  
Glitter Queen

Default Great card blogs to follow

Some great blogs to follow whose videos are easy to follow are Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, Gina K. Designs, Simon Hurley for a start. Nothing elaborate and I always feel like I can try their posted card projects and great tips offered.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindagradyForums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #163  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you have any Gina K. Stamps?  I use it buy stamps But she won't take my personal check so I stop watching her. I think it sad I love flowers stamp and ect.

Quote:

Some great blogs to follow whose videos are easy to follow are Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, Gina K. Designs, Simon Hurley for a start. Nothing elaborate and I always feel like I can try their posted card projects and great tips offered.

Last edited by hotwheels; 09-25-2020 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #164  
Stazon Splitcoast

This posted threads for blogs/ videos names people posted! Who next to post there favorites
Thanks,
Linda

1. Jennifer McGuire
2. Kristina Werner
3. Gina K. Designs
4. Simon Hurley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #165  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love that card... so pretty.... How dose this fold? I can tell in the photo. I never heard  U-fold card either. Where did the paper came from? That was to pretty to cut up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaForums at Splitcoaststampers
I don't usually watch videos for cards that are too complex (like interactive cards) because I'll never make one (not enough patience). The only fancy folds that I've ever made are a flip card, and a U-fold card. Here is a U-fold card that I made. It folds flat for mailing, which I liked. Someone posted the instructions and measurements for making it and I decided to give it a try,
I tried to insert a photo of my card but it isn't working, so I'll put it in my gallery if you want to see it there.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #166  
Glitter Queen

Default Gina K

Quote:

Do you have any Gina K. Stamps?  I use it buy stamps But she won't take my personal check so I stop watching her. I think it sad I love flowers stamp and ect.

I have many G Can work on putting an envelope go stamped imageina K stamps, dies and some stencils. Such good quality; have purchased most of her inks, working on card stock. Can work on stamping out some images for you, if you want to send me your address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can you type of listed that I can pick from? I know how pull them from website. I just need to know name of the one you?. And I will give you listed of what I like. If, that's Oaky with you? And you my address onec I send you PM Email with mailing address.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #168  
Mad Swapper

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

I love that card... so pretty.... How dose this fold? I can tell in the photo. I never heard  U-fold card either. Where did the paper came from? That was to pretty to cut up!

Thanks Linda. It's hard to explain how it folds, and when I first saw one I couldn't figure it out either. I didn't even know it folded flat for mailing so I didn't want to make one.It's called a U-fold because, if you look down at it from the top, it is shaped like the letter U.  The papers are from a huge paper stack by K&Company. All the papers in the stack are florals or garden themed and I've used them for cards and even to make envelopes.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #169  
Mad Swapper

Linda, I just uploaded another one of these U-fold cards and you might be more able to see how it's folded. This is also using papers from the same K&Company paper stack, and also a sentiment stamp by Anna Griffin.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have wait your card be apoval I forget K&Company paper stack. hard to find in my area. I think the store quite carries it? I think K&Company is out of business? I love a lot of there paper too! Thanks, Linda

Quote:

Linda, I just uploaded another one of these U-fold cards and you might be more able to see how it's folded. This is also using papers from the same K&Company paper stack, and also a sentiment stamp by Anna Griffin.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #171  
Mad Swapper

Hi Linda,

Yes, I think that K&Co might be out of business, or they may have been bought by some other company...not sure. Most of my papers are very old because I don't buy new ones very often. I have so much that I'm trying to use what I have. The main papers that I buy are heavy card stock for my card bases.

I have papers and embellishments by K&Co because I like their vintage look.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #172  
Die Cut Diva

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Hi Linda,

Yes, I think that K&Co might be out of business, or they may have been bought by some other company...not sure. Most of my papers are very old because I don't buy new ones very often. I have so much that I'm trying to use what I have. The main papers that I buy are heavy card stock for my card bases.

I have papers and embellishments by K&Co because I like their vintage look.
Karen

K&Co was purchased by Wilton (think cake decorating)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #173  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks for answering this question. I tried Googling it but nothing came up. Thought it may have been bought by American Crafts (who bought everything up!). Was surprised to see that Wilton also owns Martha Stewart crafts and Inkadinkado. Hard to keep up with all this change over the years.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #174  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 172 Likes on 123 Posts

Linda, just like I mentioned on the fancy fold thread that people can have different names for the same fold (like Gina K's tunnel card being more like what is listed as a pop-up diorama here), Karen's u-fold is what we have in our tutorials here as a bridge fold (Bridge Fold Card on Tutorial at Splitcoaststampers). The tutorial shows the front piece cut with a die, but personally I almost always just use a plain piece of card.  And I think if you look in the gallery for the technique,   most  cards are not fancy cut. They are indeed a great way of using pretty papers.  If you watch the video in the  tutorial you'll see how it folds flat.
Quote:

I love that card... so pretty.... How dose this fold? I can tell in the photo. I never heard U-fold card either. Where did the paper came from? That was to pretty to cut up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #175  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Sabrina,
I had searched the tutorials for a U-fold and didn't realize that it's also called a Bridge fold. The tutorial section is a wonderful source of techniques that I don't access often enough.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #176  
Stazon Splitcoast

So is K&Co under a different name now? Is that what your saying? Thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #177  
Die Cut Diva

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

So is K&Co under a different name now? Is that what your saying? Thanks Linda

I don’t think the products are under a different name. The sale happened years ago, but I found K&Co products on multiple sites when I did a quick google search yesterday. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #178  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the input I will never learn all card names like fancy fold and shaker cards and so forward.... Is the a chart or listed names for cards? In UK Vs U.S. So I can look names up on youtube? Or what every and see what they are with bugging people. Because I mentioned I don't the different name of cards and techniques. I am having trying learn and chat with people.
Thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Linda, just like I mentioned on the fancy fold thread that people can have different names for the same fold (like Gina K's tunnel card being more like what is listed as a pop-up diorama here), Karen's u-fold is what we have in our tutorials here as a bridge fold (Bridge Fold Card on Tutorial at Splitcoaststampers). The tutorial shows the front piece cut with a die, but personally I almost always just use a plain piece of card.  And I think if you look in the gallery for the technique,   most  cards are not fancy cut. They are indeed a great way of using pretty papers.  If you watch the video in the  tutorial you'll see how it folds flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

great card.....

Quote:

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #180  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Linda,
As I said, I don't make fancy folded cards very often, and I am terrible at making interactive cards. Most of my cards are just the regular folded types.
What about you? Do you mostly make regular folded cards, or have you tried different shapes or folds?
If you were able to make a card now, what kind of cards would they be? Christmas or Fall? Birthday cards? I am starting to make some fall cards, but I always work on birthday cards and Christmas designs.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #181  
Stazon Splitcoast

well you ask a great question I like all kinds. But I mostly stick with regular folded types. Because mom hard with other cards too! But only because she could not cuts straight either. Or measurement very well. 

Like I said before If was still a fan club member. I still be doing annual  challenges which are bunch challenges one was in August that last week. with about 3 to 5 challenges a day. 
Linda 

And you last question Birthday cards and Christmas designs. And mostly Christmas Cards And Than Mother's Day projects. Me and my mom would all make something for all the mom at my church Witch was about 30 to 35 things of the same project. I make something for 2 Mother's Day because it was on my mom do list. So that is the only craft we did together. I am going to miss that too! Because it became like at church tradition for us to do the ladies looked forward to every year.

Quote:

Thanks Linda,
As I said, I don't make fancy folded cards very often, and I am terrible at making interactive cards. Most of my cards are just the regular folded types.
What about you? Do you mostly make regular folded cards, or have you tried different shapes or folds?
If you were able to make a card now, what kind of cards would they be? Christmas or Fall? Birthday cards? I am starting to make some fall cards, but I always work on birthday cards and Christmas designs.
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #182  
Mad Swapper

Hi Linda,
I used to make about 20 Mother's Day cards each year to donate to an online card drive, and about 10 of them to drop off at the senior residence that my mom used to live in. Did the same for Father's Day as well. Since I lost both of my parents (mom in 2013, and dad in 1990), it was a way for me to help celebrate both holidays. I'll bet the moms at church loved getting their cards from you and your mom.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 01:08 AM   #183  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I don't know of any list, Linda, unless you did a search for fun folds. It's not even a case of UK/Europe and US. Like Karen said, she knew her fold as a U-fold, and I did come across that when I featured it as the TLC a couple of years back, but more of what I found called it a bridge fold, so that was the term I used and, evidently, so does the SCS tutorial. But that was just within the US. And slider cards, say that in a room of crafters and you'll probably get at least six different answers as to what people understand by that .

Quote:

Thanks for the input I will never learn all card names like fancy fold and shaker cards and so forward.... Is the a chart or listed names for cards? In UK Vs U.S. So I can look names up on youtube? Or what every and see what they are with bugging people. Because I mentioned I don't the different name of cards and techniques. I am having trying learn and chat with people.
Thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #184  
Stazon Splitcoast

yes but it was cards... It was different projects. every year!
Quote:

Hi Linda,
I used to make about 20 Mother's Day cards each year to donate to an online card drive, and about 10 of them to drop off at the senior residence that my mom used to live in. Did the same for Father's Day as well. Since I lost both of my parents (mom in 2013, and dad in 1990), it was a way for me to help celebrate both holidays. I'll bet the moms at church loved getting their cards from you and your mom.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #185  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay that bring up a other question? If, people calling different names for different Techniques, Than how do people know there making the right card? For the right challenges or Techniques?

Quote:

I don't know of any list, Linda, unless you did a search for fun folds. It's not even a case of UK/Europe and US. Like Karen said, she knew her fold as a U-fold, and I did come across that when I featured it as the TLC a couple of years back, but more of what I found called it a bridge fold, so that was the term I used and, evidently, so does the SCS tutorial. But that was just within the US. And slider cards, say that in a room of crafters and you'll probably get at least six different answers as to what people understand by that .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #186  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I don't know about other sites, but here, whether it's in the daily challenges or VSN etc, there will normally be a link to a tutorial and samples from the hostess. For example, Jean featured Gina K's tunnel card earlier this year, but she also mentioned that the tunnel card tutorial here was different, and she provided examples of both, in case people preferred to try the other version. 
The pleated skirt fold is another one I remember noticing more than one name for, I think I've also seen it called the drapery fold. 

Quote:

Okay that bring up a other question? If, people calling different names for different Techniques, Than how do people know there making the right card? For the right challenges or Techniques?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #187  
Stazon Splitcoast

So, I guess has long as you fallow the hostess instructions. you can' t go wrong? Thanks Linda

Quote:

I don't know about other sites, but here, whether it's in the daily challenges or VSN etc, there will normally be a link to a tutorial and samples from the hostess. For example, Jean featured Gina K's tunnel card earlier this year, but she also mentioned that the tunnel card tutorial here was different, and she provided examples of both, in case people preferred to try the other version. 
The pleated skirt fold is another one I remember noticing more than one name for, I think I've also seen it called the drapery fold. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #188  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't find no christmas paper I like? It all to worldly or buzy like. I am looking for 12x12 double sided paper packs. Any ideal on what brands? Or subguests on this? Thanks, Linda 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #189  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Did you check out the link in the first post in this thread? Https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...w-t635134.html
Because it's primarily scrapbooking many of them are 12" and double sided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #190  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I can't find no christmas paper I like? It all to worldly or buzy like. I am looking for 12x12 double sided paper packs. Any ideal on what brands? Or subguests on this? Thanks, Linda 

Hi Linda,

Did you say that you don't buy online? If so, the only suggestion is to go to your local craft store and see what they have. May I ask why you are looking for double sided papers? It seems like most of the 12x12 Christmas papers that I've seen are single sided, so I just wondered how you plan to use double sided.

Paper packs often have a mix of subtle and busy prints, so you might want to go for open stock single sheets, and skip the busy patterns.  It seems like a lot of brands are doing fairly busy patterns this year, and a lot of whimsical designs that are more cute than beautiful.

I prefer subtle prints for my card bases in general, and they are often hard to find. Good luck.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #191  
Stazon Splitcoast

great Thanks

Quote:

Did you check out the link in the first post in this thread? Https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...w-t635134.html
Because it's primarily scrapbooking many of them are 12" and double sided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #192  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just thought double sided would give me more options for my money. I and feel the Christmas cards. And the Christmas paper is losing the real meaning of Christmas, If, you know what I mean? And Some of the single sided Christmas paper is to thin. thanks Linda

Quote:

Hi Linda,

Did you say that you don't buy online? If so, the only suggestion is to go to your local craft store and see what they have. May I ask why you are looking for double sided papers? It seems like most of the 12x12 Christmas papers that I've seen are single sided, so I just wondered how you plan to use double sided.

Paper packs often have a mix of subtle and busy prints, so you might want to go for open stock single sheets, and skip the busy patterns.  It seems like a lot of brands are doing fairly busy patterns this year, and a lot of whimsical designs that are more cute than beautiful.

I prefer subtle prints for my card bases in general, and they are often hard to find. Good luck.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #193  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

If you were able to get it anywhere, I think this one from Crafter's Companion is very nice...and has die-cut preprinted elements all ready to add to your cards: Crafter's Companion - Natures Garden Nativity Collection - 12 x 12 Paper Pad - A Christmas Story. I'm not sure, though, if its double-sided. But if it's not because you need the double sides for 3D projects or folds where that matters (like the pleated skirt fold, double pocket etc...) I don't think you should rule single sided out. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 01:00 AM   #194  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Quote:

Look At this link: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/992199...08e87521e&send er_id=99220135448941020

They look so elegant and pretty!
I wish too make cards like these in the link: They are so elegant and pretty. And they look like some Anna Griffin cards. I would love turn some of these cards into Christmas cards.
Thanks Linda

I can help you make a card like this one (it was on the link you listed) What color would you like?
Attached Thumbnails
I have some stamping questions and thoughts-butterfly-card.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #195  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I just thought double sided would give me more options for my money. I and feel the Christmas cards. And the Christmas paper is losing the real meaning of Christmas, If, you know what I mean? And Some of the single sided Christmas paper is to thin. thanks Linda

I thought that you wanted to make 30-35 Christmas cards all the same. So, if you find a design you like, then you will only be using one side anyway. And, if the design paper is thin-glue it onto a sturdy, colored cardstock for backing. 

Do you tend to find paper you like and build a card around it? or do you have a card design in mind and search for "the perfect paper" for your design? Those are two very different ways of creating and have their own advantages and disadvantages. If one can't decide which way to design, then a person probably spends a lot of time fiddling around, and possibly getting frustrated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 01:26 AM   #196  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Linda, it looks like your town, Burleson, has a lot of options. 

There is a Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I believe both those give craft classes. You could phone the manager and explain your situation and ask if they would ask participants if they want a "crafting buddy".

There is a local chapter of "Volunteers of America" 817-295-4011 who offer volunteers for people with disabilities.

There are two Hospice chapters who would have grief support groups, individual grief counselors, and maybe other Hospice family members who would benefit from having a partner/helper to share recovery activities like crafting. Community Hospice is 817-615-2150 and Encompass Hospice is 817-447-7312. Hospice grief support is typically free and open to anyone in the community whether you used Hospice services for your mother or not and no matter what your religious beliefs, they can help during this difficult time of recovery. I bet during COVID they do services over the phone, too.

Fort Worth area SCS members are your neighbors. 

Sabrina, is there any efficient way to search the SCS member database by city? Actually, I have wondered that because I'd like to connect with my northern California SCS sisters.

Karen, which northern Calif city are you in? I'm in Modesto.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #197  
Mad Swapper

Hi Dr. Sonja.

I'm not that far from you...I'm in the East Bay. I have a daughter in Livermore. Glad to "meet" you!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #198  
Stazon Splitcoast

What color do you having I can pick from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr SonjaForums at Splitcoaststampers

I can help you make a card like this one (it was on the link you listed) What color would you like?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #199  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have done both ways.... But, when mom was a live and she know more about crafting too. I do have a card  design I like this year. But, I not sure if dad or whoever can make the card design, Puls it has several layers And I don't what images or stamps to use. I know I wanted to say Merry Christmas. And I am not sure what embellishments to use? The lady did a Halloween card of it. But, I wanted turn it too Christmas card instead. That all I know at this point  trying to get my dad to watch the video here on SCS sometime soon! thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr SonjaForums at Splitcoaststampers

I thought that you wanted to make 30-35 Christmas cards all the same. So, if you find a design you like, then you will only be using one side anyway. And, if the design paper is thin-glue it onto a sturdy, colored cardstock for backing. 

Do you tend to find paper you like and build a card around it? or do you have a card design in mind and search for "the perfect paper" for your design? Those are two very different ways of creating and have their own advantages and disadvantages. If one can't decide which way to design, then a person probably spends a lot of time fiddling around, and possibly getting frustrated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #200  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Karen Glad you met a new friend too!
Hi Dr. Sonja.

I'm not that far from you...I'm in the East Bay. I have a daughter in Livermore. Glad to "meet" you!
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes