Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #121  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Linda, I haven't really bought any Stampin' Up in a while.  I've been trying to curb my spending.  I went in Hobby Lobby the other week, but I probably won't visit there for a long time, as I don't need anything.  
I think this is a rough time for a lot of people.  Between the pandemic and everything going on in the world, so many people are stressed and having anxiety, depression.  We just have to keep on keeping on.  I know that sounds like a flippant answer, but I just try to take things one day at a time, and not look too far ahead.  
I know there hasn't been anything on t.v., but the new shows will be starting soon.  Are there any shows you really like?  I like the Masked Singer, so I am looking forward to that.  I think it starts next week.  
Be good to yourself!  I am sorry that things have been so difficult for you!  I have some close friends having a rough time right now too, and I tell them to take good care of themselves.  It's easy to overlook your needs when you are overwhelmed or feeling stressed.  Hope your day got better!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

yes, I think you right! But, when I look and and see 100 puls people on the thread.  And think I can find someone chat with and craft with it gets a little depressing. No the T.V. show. I don't have T.V. Just the internet is all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Forums at Splitcoaststampers Do you have any  stencils? If so what kind? Can I see them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #124  
Hardware Hotshot

I wonder if a lot of the people are like me and forget to log out, and that is why it looks like so many people are on the site.  I have a terrible memory, so I forget to log out a lot.  
I have some waverly stencils, like some they sell at Walmart and a few others.  Too tired to get them out, and not able to load pics to posts anyways.  But I have a couple of the sets they sell at Walmart.
Had a busy day, so I am feeling tired today.  Hope your day went well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #125  
Mad Swapper

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I wonder if a lot of the people are like me and forget to log out, and that is why it looks like so many people are on the site.  I have a terrible memory, so I forget to log out a lot.  
I have some waverly stencils, like some they sell at Walmart and a few others.  Too tired to get them out, and not able to load pics to posts anyways.  But I have a couple of the sets they sell at Walmart.

I think that's probably true that many people don't log out so it looks like a lot of members on on the site all the time. I stay logged in as well and I do the same with Facebook. People probably think I'm on the sites, reading and posting, but I'm not even in front of my computer.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #126  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsForums at Splitcoaststampers
yes, I think you right! But, when I look and and see 100 puls people on the thread.  And think I can find someone chat with and craft with it gets a little depressing. No the T.V. show. I don't have T.V. Just the internet is all.

Hi Linda,

As Chris said, I believe many people just stay logged in all the time, but it doesn't mean they are actually on the site and active at the time. I don't bother to log off unless I log off the computer completely, so it looks like I'm on here when I'm actually not.

This is a very hard time for many people, with so many things going on right now. We have had terrible fires all over the state where I live, and many people have lost their homes. Jobs have been lost and businesses were closed for months due to the COVID crisis. My son was hospitalized for depression last month and we have been trying to get him into therapy but they are backlogged until the end of October, so he doesn't know what he'll do. I feel like we are all hanging on and just hoping things improve, and life as usual isn't going to be possible for some time. It's sad and depressing, but I know things will get better.

I hope that you have some good days sprinkled in with the bad ones. It sounds like you might be depressed, and you may want to talk to your doctor about this. Hugs,
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 06:02 AM   #127  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't log out every time. Too much of a pain to keep logging into sites and out.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #128  
Hardware Hotshot

Karen, I hope you are all safe, and I can't imagine how it must feel to see all that is happening with the fires there.  I hope your son can get the help he needs!  So much stress and uncertainty in life now; will be praying for your son and that the fires are all out quickly!  I think that is good advice you gave to Linda.  Depression is so difficult, and we all need a little help from time to time.  
Linda, do you have a fast internet connection?  Youtube shows lots of wonderful videos, music and tutorials on all sorts of things that are interesting.  I find myself watching it quite often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #129  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well when you feel like find them let me know. The card we did come today, And it looks great. Thanks a bunch Linda

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #130  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sometime I am guilty of that too. But, that is a bad habit to get into. So I try to remember to log out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaForums at Splitcoaststampers

I think that's probably true that many people don't log out so it looks like a lot of members on on the site all the time. I stay logged in as well and I do the same with Facebook. People probably think I'm on the sites, reading and posting, but I'm not even in front of my computer.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #131  
Stazon Splitcoast

Karen 
I am sorry here about your son! Hung in there. Well be praying for your family my friend take care. I am here if need to talk. or cry my friend! 
Quote:

Hi Linda,

As Chris said, I believe many people just stay logged in all the time, but it doesn't mean they are actually on the site and active at the time. I don't bother to log off unless I log off the computer completely, so it looks like I'm on here when I'm actually not.

This is a very hard time for many people, with so many things going on right now. We have had terrible fires all over the state where I live, and many people have lost their homes. Jobs have been lost and businesses were closed for months due to the COVID crisis. My son was hospitalized for depression last month and we have been trying to get him into therapy but they are backlogged until the end of October, so he doesn't know what he'll do. I feel like we are all hanging on and just hoping things improve, and life as usual isn't going to be possible for some time. It's sad and depressing, but I know things will get better.

I hope that you have some good days sprinkled in with the bad ones. It sounds like you might be depressed, and you may want to talk to your doctor about this. Hugs,
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

no but it fast to Youtube shows! I watch craft videos and such. But that just gets me itching more. Do craft things I can't do without help. And far Depression I got help and his Name Jesus. Thanks for the advice. And the fun chatting and friendship.

Quote:

Karen, I hope you are all safe, and I can't imagine how it must feel to see all that is happening with the fires there.  I hope your son can get the help he needs!  So much stress and uncertainty in life now; will be praying for your son and that the fires are all out quickly!  I think that is good advice you gave to Linda.  Depression is so difficult, and we all need a little help from time to time.  
Linda, do you have a fast internet connection?  Youtube shows lots of wonderful videos, music and tutorials on all sorts of things that are interesting.  I find myself watching it quite often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #133  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks so much Chris. I'm just grateful that we haven't gotten sick, and that no one in my family has either. I have to say that I had no idea this situation with COVID would go on so long, and I think many of us were unprepared. One good thing that has come of this is that I'm now more aware of all the things I've taken for granted, like fully stocked grocery shelves, quick and reliable mail service, easily accessible medical services, and my family and friends.  My parents and grandparents would have just pulled up their pants and dug in for the duration .
Hope you stay well too, and are muddling through with the rest of us.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #134  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sometime I am guilty of that too. But, that is a bad habit to get into. So I try to remember to log out!

Hi Linda,

Oh, I doubt that I'll start remembering to log out at this point in my life, haha (too lazy to do that )! I have to admit that it bothers my daughter when she starts messaging me on Facebook messenger and ends up talking to an empty message screen.

I check in on SC several times a day, but mostly at night when I don't have things I need to take care of. One thing I like about the internet and computer is that I can post something at odd hours, and answer back whenever it is convenient. When it's a phone call, I might be right in the middle of something so I often let it go to voice mail and call back later. When I was growing up, there was no internet or home computers!
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #135  
Mad Swapper

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. Unfortunately, my son's depression isn't just a result of the COVID crisis and other issues. He has suffered from severe depression at different times throughout his life and has been on medication for years. He is a wonderful, caring guy who is also a talented musician and an advanced college degree. It's sad for us to know that he will struggle his entire life, and we are always hopeful that he'll pull through these dark periods. The COVID problem and the recent fires are just putting additional pressure on an already fragile condition.

In your case, the loss of your mother has been a major blow to you , your father and family, and sometimes we need a little extra help in the form of medical advice. An online grief group might also be of help. Often we try to struggle through on our own, when there are others out there who are going through a similar problem. Just being able to chat with others with a common experience can often help a lot. I understand if that isn't for you but many of us are just tossing out different ideas that might be of interest or help.
Hang in there.
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Karen 
I hope you don't think I was be to pushey now back to craft talk..... What you hoping work on the next few days? I love some of cards in gallery. We just find out some our church friends COVID so no church tomorrow or most likely Sunday. 
Do you watch youtube videos? Who do you like watching?
Thanks Linda

Quote:

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. Unfortunately, my son's depression isn't just a result of the COVID crisis and other issues. He has suffered from severe depression at different times throughout his life and has been on medication for years. He is a wonderful, caring guy who is also a talented musician and an advanced college degree. It's sad for us to know that he will struggle his entire life, and we are always hopeful that he'll pull through these dark periods. The COVID problem and the recent fires are just putting additional pressure on an already fragile condition.

In your case, the loss of your mother has been a major blow to you , your father and family, and sometimes we need a little extra help in the form of medical advice. An online grief group might also be of help. Often we try to struggle through on our own, when there are others out there who are going through a similar problem. Just being able to chat with others with a common experience can often help a lot. I understand if that isn't for you but many of us are just tossing out different ideas that might be of interest or help.
Hang in there.
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #137  
Mad Swapper

Hi Linda,
I love craft talk! I haven't been able to craft much at all for a couple of weeks, so talking about it and reading about it is always fun. They used to have a lot of craft magazines, but almost all have gone out of print now so I read blogs and websites to see what people are making. I don't watch too many videos, unless I need to see how a particular technique is done. There are a lot of bloggers who also have great Youtube Videos, but I don't have the patience to sit through a whole video.

I would like to learn how to color with markers better though, so plan to start watching some video tutorials to learn coloring and shading. I almost never color images of people because I'm not very good at it.

When I first started stamping, I never colored in anything. The only stamps that I bought were designs that could be stamped with colored ink and didn't require coloring. A lot of the stamps these days are designed for a lot of coloring though.

I don't have anything that I'm working on now but I make my Christmas cards all through the year, so am always doing that. My granddaughter has a birthday in October so I'll probably start making her birthday card, along with cards for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I only make a few Halloween cards, which I sent to family. Fall colors are fun to work with, but I only have a few fall stamps. I saw a pretty fall leaves card design that you made with someone here and that caught my eye.

I think you said that you like Anna Griffin's style. Does that mean you like elegant, vintage designs, or just specifically Anna Griffin? I have some of her stamps but they came with a card making kit , I think, and only have sentiments, alphabets, and a few decorative elements.

Oh, that's too bad about some of your church friends getting COVID. I hope they don't get too sick, and that no one else gets it. My husband and I are very careful and have not gotten together with any groups since March. I have asthma and it was really bad over the summer. I'm doing better now but can't risk getting COVID.

So what kind of designs do you like? What are your favorite colors?
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #138  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Answers in green

Quote:

Hi Linda,
I love craft talk! I haven't been able to craft much at all for a couple of weeks, so talking about it and reading about it is always fun. They used to have a lot of craft magazines, but almost all have gone out of print now so I read blogs and websites to see what people are making. I don't watch too many videos, unless I need to see how a particular technique is done. There are a lot of bloggers who also have great Youtube Videos, but I don't have the patience to sit through a whole video.

I would like to learn how to color with markers better though, so plan to start watching some video tutorials to learn coloring and shading. I almost never color images of people because I'm not very good at it.

When I first started stamping, I never colored in anything. The only stamps that I bought were designs that could be stamped with colored ink and didn't require coloring. A lot of the stamps these days are designed for a lot of coloring though.

I don't have anything that I'm working on now but I make my Christmas cards all through the year, so am always doing that. My granddaughter has a birthday in October so I'll probably start making her birthday card, along with cards for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I only make a few Halloween cards, which I sent to family. Fall colors are fun to work with, but I only have a few fall stamps. I saw a pretty fall leaves card design that you made with someone here and that caught my eye.

I think you said that you like Anna Griffin's style. Does that mean you like elegant, vintage designs, or just specifically Anna Griffin? I have some of her stamps but they came with a card making kit , I think, and only have sentiments, alphabets, and a few decorative elements. yes I love elegant, vintage designs and flowers butterflies and teapots and teacups Ect.

Oh, that's too bad about some of your church friends getting COVID. I hope they don't get too sick, and that no one else gets it. My husband and I are very careful and have not gotten together with any groups since March. I have asthma and it was really bad over the summer. I'm doing better now but can't risk getting COVID.

So what kind of designs do you like? It hard to explain the designs I like.
What are your favorite colors? Pastels So, you like blogs. What Blogs do you like? I don't know to many blogs? Back to the designs question If, I showed you designs I like many you can help figure how to answer that questions better? 
Thanks Linda
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

How do you all find enough Christmas DSP you like? I can never find enough Christmas DSP I like. But, I use to make 30 to 35 Christmas cards. And would cost me and arm and leg for the Christmas DSP. I am picky When come to making the Christmas cards. And the Christmas DSP. Since I give to the church no snowman or santa claus. I wanted a little more a porpet for the church. And I don't buy online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #140  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 212 Likes on 154 Posts

Quote:

How do you all find enough Christmas DSP you like? I can never find enough Christmas DSP I like. But, I use to make 30 to 35 Christmas cards. And would cost me and arm and leg for the Christmas DSP. I am picky When come to making the Christmas cards. And the Christmas DSP. Since I give to the church no snowman or santa claus. I wanted a little more a porpet for the church. And I don't buy online.

Hi Linda,  I can chat for a short time, before we get into evening talking and things.  I like Echo Park patterned paper.  This year, I am really liking Wise Men Still Seek Him (https://www.maymaymadeit.com/collect...ection-kit-h53) and others by the same company.  I do shop online and find the best bargains when shopping.  I really do not use a lot of patterned paper on my Christmas cards, but I may this year.  I have a card kit from Spellbinders and it has patterned paper in it.

I use a lot of stamps from many companies.  I love The Stamps of Life stamps and get a new one each month.  I have many Stampin Up stamps.  My sister used to be a demo and gave her family a discount, so I shopped with her some and my Mom was a big Stampin Up purchaser.  I now own most of her stamps and they are all new to me, so I am always finding a new find in the stash.

Most likely I will not see any reply to my comment till tomorrow sometime as it is getting later and I will not be on the computer.  I rarely log off.  Nice chatting with you.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can you listed the stamp you have stampinup and from Stamps of Life. I love to see them. I love watching Maymay made it. video she is funny. Even tho I don't have any of your products. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperForums at Splitcoaststampers

Hi Linda,  I can chat for a short time, before we get into evening talking and things.  I like Echo Park patterned paper.  This year, I am really liking Wise Men Still Seek Him (https://www.maymaymadeit.com/collect...ection-kit-h53) and others by the same company.  I do shop online and find the best bargains when shopping.  I really do not use a lot of patterned paper on my Christmas cards, but I may this year.  I have a card kit from Spellbinders and it has patterned paper in it.

I use a lot of stamps from many companies.  I love The Stamps of Life stamps and get a new one each month.  I have many Stampin Up stamps.  My sister used to be a demo and gave her family a discount, so I shopped with her some and my Mom was a big Stampin Up purchaser.  I now own most of her stamps and they are all new to me, so I am always finding a new find in the stash.

Most likely I will not see any reply to my comment till tomorrow sometime as it is getting later and I will not be on the computer.  I rarely log off.  Nice chatting with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #142  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Hi Linda,

I don't always use DSP for my Christmas cards. I use embossing folders about half the time, and I also layer solid colored papers. I don't really have a favorite company, as I just buy what appeals to me. Almost all of my craft buying is online or from my local Michael's craft store, because I don't feel comfortable going out in crowded stores these days. I make a lot of cards that I donate to senior communities and nursing homes, so like to use vintage or elegant patterns, or cheerful images. When I make a lot of Christmas cards, my favorite design is a large sentiment, embossed background or patterned paper, and layered die cuts.

Do you make all your Christmas cards in the same design, or do you make several different styles each year?
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 04:04 AM   #143  
Proud Fan Club Member

[QUOTE=hotwheels;22000944]
 Can you listed the stamp you have stampinup and from Stamps of Life. I love to see them. I love watching Maymay made it. video she is funny. Even tho I don't have any of your products. 

/QUOTE]

Linda, I own a lot of stamps by both companies, so listing them could take me a long time.  I have been a club member with The Stamps of Life for several years, so basically if it is in her store, I may own it.  Here is a card I made recently using several of the fruit stamps:  https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/3005290?&cat=500&ppuser=301308

Some of my favorite stamps usually involve a cute animal.  I love Paper Smooches critter stamps.  I was so sorry to see Kim retire, but will use her stamps a long time.  Here is a favorite Christmas card using Paper Smooches:  Blessed Christmas in Tranquil Teal by lovinpaper at Splitcoaststampers and another one with a critter:  https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2975007?&cat=500&ppuser=301308

I love so many companies and stamps.  I love cute animals, beautiful flowers, and cards that make people smile.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

Remember Mom I make christmas card.... One year made different using the Cricut machine. Mom bought me new Cricut machine. It still in box not setup and don't how use it either?  Remember dad dose not do crafting. And mom I usually try to keep our christmas cards the same it make easier in some ways it make hard too!  

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some of the links not working! And I am like you I Love flowers and making people smile! 

[QUOTE=lovinpaper;22001027]
Quote:

/QUOTE]

Linda, I own a lot of stamps by both companies, so listing them could take me a long time.  I have been a club member with The Stamps of Life for several years, so basically if it is in her store, I may own it.  Here is a card I made recently using several of the fruit stamps:  https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/3005290?&cat=500&ppuser=301308

Some of my favorite stamps usually involve a cute animal.  I love Paper Smooches critter stamps.  I was so sorry to see Kim retire, but will use her stamps a long time.  Here is a favorite Christmas card using Paper Smooches:  Blessed Christmas in Tranquil Teal by lovinpaper at Splitcoaststampers and another one with a critter:  https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2975007?&cat=500&ppuser=301308

I love so many companies and stamps.  I love cute animals, beautiful flowers, and cards that make people smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Karen answer is in post #144 And here's more of your answer too. And I have made any since mom passing. I did store bought last year. I don't have anyone to help me make them this year either. So has sad has it is it will most likely be store brought year too? Unless I can find someone to help me make around 27 to 30 cards.

Quote:

Hi Linda,

I don't always use DSP for my Christmas cards. I use embossing folders about half the time, and I also layer solid colored papers. I don't really have a favorite company, as I just buy what appeals to me. Almost all of my craft buying is online or from my local Michael's craft store, because I don't feel comfortable going out in crowded stores these days. I make a lot of cards that I donate to senior communities and nursing homes, so like to use vintage or elegant patterns, or cheerful images. When I make a lot of Christmas cards, my favorite design is a large sentiment, embossed background or patterned paper, and layered die cuts.

Do you make all your Christmas cards in the same design, or do you make several different styles each year?
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #147  
Proud Fan Club Member

Linda, there is nothing wrong with store bought cards.  Sometimes it is easier and cheaper.  It still makes the recipient happy that you thought of them.

I know nothing about the Cricket or any electric machine.  I tried the Silhouette, had more to make it work than I wanted to deal with, so I sent it back for a refund.  Anything that takes the joy out of my crafting is not worth it to  me.  For me, my house is not set up for any kind of electric machine, especially one that has to be hooked to a computer.   I thought I had the newest Silhouette that worked with with a wireless connection, but it wasn't the current model.  I am happy without an electric machine.

There are many YouTube videos where they feature the Cricket.  I would think you Dad or a sibling would be able to hook it up for you and help you find the instructional videos.  He may think it is more work than he wants to deal with, though.

Nice chatting!

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #148  
Mad Swapper

Hi Linda,

In response to your sadness about not being able to make your Christmas cards this year, I have a few thoughts. I saw a post you made back in June, on the ABC challenge thread where you said that your Dad had offered to help you make Christmas cards this year. At the time you mentioned that he is not good at coloring but that you want to make cards that will knock people's socks off. I understand that, but I am sure that the people in your family and at church will be just as touched to receive a card that is simple and heartfelt. Whether you make it or buy it from a store, it is the thought and love that you share through your card that is the most important, right? I often get caught up in expecting my own cards to be perfect or to match the idea that I have in my head. They never do!! I have to remind myself that the perfect card does not exist, and that it's not a contest for the most spectacular card. I make cards for the joy of creating, and to let me the recipients know that I am thinking of them. Even a simple card, with one stamped image and pretty paper will convey that message to anyone you send a Christmas card to.

I don't have a Cricut, but I have used my friend's Cricut in the past and I found it more complicated than I wanted to deal with. She even offered me her old one, and I turned it down. When you cut out shapes with the Cricut, you still have to glue them down and it was a pain for me. I much prefer using a stamp with a large design, or lovely sentiment. It sounds like you do have a die cut machine, is that right? If so, you can stamp an image and then die cut a shape around it. Then you can glue it directly to the card front, or over patterned paper. Your dad could help with die cutting the shapes, stamping just the one image, and helping you glue it down. You can choose the stamps, colors, papers etc, and show him where you would like it all glued. That sounds like what you were doing with your Mom when you crafted together. Does that sound right?

I do understand your frustrations at not being to craft as often as you'd like and in the way you did before you lost your mom. However, with a little bit of adjustment, I think that you can still craft sometimes and have the pleasure of creating beautiful cards. So many of us who craft need to remind ourselves that not being able to make the most spectacular card doesn't mean that our design isn't wonderful in a different way. As I said, I had eye surgery several years back because I had a condition that meant I could not see straight lines. I couldn't drive, and I couldn't see or cut straight lines, nor could I read anymore. Crafting was the only thing that helped take my mind off my worries, so I continued to do it, even though my lines weren't straight and my stamping was sub standard. In all that time, no one complained (at least to me, haha!) about my cards being wonky. I like to think they were just happy that I continued to think of them.

Also, you will probably not be able to make the number of handmade cards this year that you would like, but even if you make a few, it will feel satisfying to have done that. For me, the joy is in the creating and crafting, and not on the number of cards that I complete. You can do a mix of handmade and store bought.  As Lisa said, there is nothing wrong with sending store bought cards at all. 

II hope that some of these ideas might work for you and that you can continue to find joy in crafting. Hope you don't mind all my suggestions Linda,
Hugs,
Karen   

P/S: I just remembered that you said you can color stamped images, so if your dad stamped a few images, you could color them and then he could help by gluing them down to your card base. Does that sound like a plan?

Last edited by kazeka; 09-24-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #149  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Linda, there is nothing wrong with store bought cards.  Sometimes it is easier and cheaper.  It still makes the recipient happy that you thought of them.

I know nothing about the Cricket or any electric machine.  I tried the Silhouette, had more to make it work than I wanted to deal with, so I sent it back for a refund.  Anything that takes the joy out of my crafting is not worth it to  me.  For me, my house is not set up for any kind of electric machine, especially one that has to be hooked to a computer.   I thought I had the newest Silhouette that worked with with a wireless connection, but it wasn't the current model.  I am happy without an electric machine.

There are many YouTube videos where they feature the Cricket.  I would think you Dad or a sibling would be able to hook it up for you and help you find the instructional videos.  He may think it is more work than he wants to deal with, though.

Nice chatting!

Hi Lisa,
Oh, I'm with you on not having an ideal set up for using an electronic die cutting machine hooked up to my computer. I barely have room for my computer and keyboard on my desk. All of my friends seem to have electronic die machines but I'm sticking with my trusty manual Big Shot. The only thing I made with my friend's Cricut was a baby shower banner for my niece. She wanted a personalized message on it, so I had to borrow a Cricut. I made everything else by hand, the banner flags, huge rosettes etc, and only used it for the lettering. It was such an ordeal for me that I decided not to ever buy one for myself. I'm a tech failure!
Karen   
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #150  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Hi Lisa,
Oh, I'm with you on not having an ideal set up for using an electronic die cutting machine hooked up to my computer. I barely have room for my computer and keyboard on my desk. All of my friends seem to have electronic die machines but I'm sticking with my trusty manual Big Shot. The only thing I made with my friend's Cricut was a baby shower banner for my niece. She wanted a personalized message on it, so I had to borrow a Cricut. I made everything else by hand, the banner flags, huge rosettes etc, and only used it for the lettering. It was such an ordeal for me that I decided not to ever buy one for myself. I'm a tech failure!
Karen   

For me it wasn't the technology.  I have a computer science degree and could handle the techy portion, but the physical space, keeping the mat free from pet hair, and just dealing with everything is not for me.  I have MS and just went through the biggest relapse I have ever had and this arrived after a stressful situation, so I decided to get it out and make it work.  It turned into a fiasco.  I got my refund, mailed pieces that I bought from Amazon to friends and was quite happy to let it go.

Now, for someone who has the space, loves technology and new gadgets, the electronic machines may be wonderful.  I am with you in preferring my manual machines.

Linda, I agree with Karen.  Sometimes we have to adjust in our crafty ideas with how and what we create.  With my MS I have lost my entire right side of my body where I could not make my arm do anything and my leg was dragging the foot and extremely weak.  I did not craft for several months.  I am pretty sure our Christmas cards were very simple that year and nobody complained.  I even used labels to write our names inside of the card.  Most people just enjoy receiving a card whether store bought or handmade.  I receive ones through my computer also and that is still enjoyable.  It means the person was thinking of me.  Also, stickers work nicely for cards.  Sure it is not stamping or coloring, but it is creating and they can make beautiful cards.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #151  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hi Linda,

In response to your sadness about not being able to make your Christmas cards this year, I have a few thoughts. I saw a post you made back in June, on the ABC challenge thread where you said that your Dad had offered to help you make Christmas cards this year. Yes, But he does have the patients and wanted everything to like perfectional and such instead of go Tho the  frustrations with him I rather not sad to say. But, think it was a passing through  

At the time you mentioned that he is not good at coloring but that you want to make cards that will knock people's socks off. I understand that, but I am sure that the people in your family and at church will be just as touched to receive a card that is simple and heartfelt. Whether you make it or buy it from a store, it is the thought and love that you share through your card that is the most important, right? I often get caught up in expecting my own cards to be perfect or to match the idea that I have in my head. They never do!! I have to remind myself that the perfect card does not exist, and that it's not a contest for the most spectacular card. I make cards for the joy of creating, and to let me the recipients know that I am thinking of them. Even a simple card, with one stamped image and pretty paper will convey that message to anyone you send a Christmas card to.

I don't have a Cricut, but I have used my friend's Cricut in the past and I found it more complicated than I wanted to deal with. She even offered me her old one, and I turned it down. When you cut out shapes with the Cricut, you still have to glue them down and it was a pain for me. I much prefer using a stamp with a large design, or lovely sentiment. It sounds like you do have a die cut machine, is that right? Yes, But I don't have a lot shapes that would go with Christmas stamps. We trying with my dad that was not good combination He was more frustrated that way. The Cricut I don't really have space either. But, mom and I loving it because it have fancy cuts and fancy shapes. And help us make pop cards and ect. Because mom couldn't measure either.

If so, you can stamp an image and then die cut a shape around it. Then you can glue it directly to the card front, or over patterned paper. Your dad could help with die cutting the shapes, stamping just the one image, and helping you glue it down. You can choose the stamps, colors, papers etc, and show him where you would like it all glued. That sounds like what you were doing with your Mom when you crafted together. Does that sound right? yes but mom knew craft a little bite and she had the patients.And dad doesn't know anything crafting or have the patients either. And no I thing my color like look crap. So, no I not coloring stamp images either. And mom could not cut a  straight lines or draw a straight lines either to save her live

I do understand your frustrations at not being to craft as often as you'd like and in the way you did before you lost your mom. However, with a little bit of adjustment, I think that you can still craft sometimes and have the pleasure of creating beautiful cards. So many of us who craft need to remind ourselves that not being able to make the most spectacular card doesn't mean that our design isn't wonderful in a different way. As I said, I had eye surgery several years back because I had a condition that meant I could not see straight lines. I couldn't drive, and I couldn't see or cut straight lines, nor could I read anymore. Crafting was the only thing that helped take my mind off my worries, so I continued to do it, even though my lines weren't straight and my stamping was sub standard. In all that time, no one complained (at least to me, haha!) about my cards being wonky. I like to think they were just happy that I continued to think of them. But, see my hand make card everyone look fardward to seeing them every year. Is what I was told. 

Also, you will probably not be able to make the number of handmade cards this year that you would like, but even if you make a few, it will feel satisfying to have done that. For me, the joy is in the creating and crafting, and not on the number of cards that I complete. You can do a mix of handmade and store bought.  As Lisa said, there is nothing wrong with sending store bought cards at all. 

II hope that some of these ideas might work for you and that you can continue to find joy in crafting. Hope you don't mind all my suggestions Linda,
Hugs,
Karen   

P/S: I just remembered that you said you can color stamped images, so if your dad stamped a few images, you could color them and then he could help by gluing them down to your card base. Does that sound like a plan?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #152  
Stazon Splitcoast

Look At this link: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/992199...08e87521e&send er_id=99220135448941020

They look so elegant and pretty!
I wish too make cards like these in the link: They are so elegant and pretty. And they look like some Anna Griffin cards. I would love turn some of these cards into Christmas cards.
Thanks Linda

Last edited by hotwheels; 09-24-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #153  
Mad Swapper

Yes, those are gorgeous cards and I'm sure we all wish we could make cards like that! Unfortunately, a card like that would use lots of specialized dies and would take me hours to make even one card. We can dream, right?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

yes, I thought we could dream together Fancy, and Elegant together too! This is why look at cards. are bitter sweet too! If you understand what I mean! LOL

Quote:

Yes, those are gorgeous cards and I'm sure we all wish we could make cards like that! Unfortunately, a card like that would use lots of specialized dies and would take me hours to make even one card. We can dream, right?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #155  
Stazon Splitcoast

Karen,151
did you see my answer in blue in posted #151?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #156  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Karen,151
did you see my answer in blue in posted #151?

Hi Linda,

Yes, I did see your replies in post #151. I still think you could send a mix of store bought and crafted cards to your church friends and not worry about making a huge batch of handmade ones. My daughter only makes about 5 handmade cards each year and buys the rest. She has 3 young kids and doesn't have the time to make them all. So she just makes a few, and doesn't worry about the rest. 

I can understand how your dad might not want to help you craft as my husband would have a fit if I had him help me! He is not crafty at all, and doesn't have the patience either. Still, if you just asked your dad to help make about 5 simple cards, he might be open to it. However, if you have your heart set on making 30 intricate and fancy cards, even I would be intimidated and wouldn't want to tackle it. What do you think?

Sometimes we set expectations so high that we feel overwhelmed and then we don't even start. Since you love card making so much, it would be a shame for that to happen.

Hugs,
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #157  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Karen:
yes, I agree in some points. But, I rather not go though with dad. He not been in a fairy good mood lately. Not sure what I will do? What do you think about the other thread you start about fancy card or layered Embellishments? I like that thread a lot. I never heard of tunnel card. So, learn what it was. Was you that said you like card blogs? If, so witch ones do you like? I am not fimare with a lot bolg? Or was that someone else? Thanks Linda

QUOTE=kazeka;22001290]

Hi Linda,

Yes, I did see your replies in post #151. I still think you could send a mix of store bought and crafted cards to your church friends and not worry about making a huge batch of handmade ones. My daughter only makes about 5 handmade cards each year and buys the rest. She has 3 young kids and doesn't have the time to make them all. So she just makes a few, and doesn't worry about the rest. 

I can understand how your dad might not want to help you craft as my husband would have a fit if I had him help me! He is not crafty at all, and doesn't have the patience either. Still, if you just asked your dad to help make about 5 simple cards, he might be open to it. However, if you have your heart set on making 30 intricate and fancy cards, even I would be intimidated and wouldn't want to tackle it. What do you think?

Sometimes we set expectations so high that we feel overwhelmed and then we don't even start. Since you love card making so much, it would be a shame for that to happen.

Hugs,
Karen
[/QUOTE]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #158  
Mad Swapper

Hi Linda,
Oh, I do understand about not wanting to try to craft with your dad. As I said, my husband would not be a good craft buddy at all! The other thread that I started was to find out if many people make the fancy embellished cards that  I see in magazines from the UK, because I don't make cards like that. It's too hard to send cards that have a lot of pretty embellishments, without paying a lot of postage. Even then, I would be worried they get damaged. I've seen tutorials and articles about tunnel cards, and those seem fun because they can fold flat and be mailed. I've never made one myself though.
The card blogs that I have found are usually with cardmakers who design for different companies. They often have videos that show different techniques, and good tips for crafting. Some of the videos are too long and involved for me, so I don't watch many videos. I like to look at blogs to get an idea for a project, but don't read all the instructions unless it's for a project that I've never made. My style is pretty simple so I usually just take one idea from here, and another from there...and do it in my own way. One blogger who has a lot of inspirational posts is Jennifer McGuire. You've probably seen her videos and blog posts in the past. She has this fun one for tunnel cards: 
  https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2018/08/inside-tunnel-cards.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #159  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, Jennifer is about the only one I know I like some in UK. but can't remember there name. And some of their accents are hard for me understand them. So, I get board with them too!

Quote:

Hi Linda,
Oh, I do understand about not wanting to try to craft with your dad. As I said, my husband would not be a good craft buddy at all! The other thread that I started was to find out if many people make the fancy embellished cards that  I see in magazines from the UK, because I don't make cards like that. It's too hard to send cards that have a lot of pretty embellishments, without paying a lot of postage. Even then, I would be worried they get damaged. I've seen tutorials and articles about tunnel cards, and those seem fun because they can fold flat and be mailed. I've never made one myself though.
The card blogs that I have found are usually with cardmakers who design for different companies. They often have videos that show different techniques, and good tips for crafting. Some of the videos are too long and involved for me, so I don't watch many videos. I like to look at blogs to get an idea for a project, but don't read all the instructions unless it's for a project that I've never made. My style is pretty simple so I usually just take one idea from here, and another from there...and do it in my own way. One blogger who has a lot of inspirational posts is Jennifer McGuire. You've probably seen her videos and blog posts in the past. She has this fun one for tunnel cards: 
  https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2018/08/inside-tunnel-cards.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #160  
Mad Swapper

I don't usually watch videos for cards that are too complex (like interactive cards) because I'll never make one (not enough patience). The only fancy folds that I've ever made are a flip card, and a U-fold card. Here is a U-fold card that I made. It folds flat for mailing, which I liked. Someone posted the instructions and measurements for making it and I decided to give it a try,
I tried to insert a photo of my card but it isn't working, so I'll put it in my gallery if you want to see it there.

Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 09-25-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes