Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Default I don't get it... In Color

Ok, I just picked up my new IB&C and I really like some of the new colors (Cranberry Crisp and Caribbean Blue). However it clearly says "available this year only".

So if I buy a stamp pad and paper, what happens next year when I run out of paper and my stamp pad gets dry? Ok, I can stock up on paper and ink refills but eventually I will run out. Does anyone know if they will be available in the future?

Seems like buying from the In Color collection is a poor investment....?

Marina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess the reasoning behind it is that by the time you run out, the colors won't be "In" anymore and there will be something newer and better that you're gonna want to use.
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the idea of fresh colors each year. It gives a "punch" and variety to color combos with the usual colors without full-scale commitment, KWIM?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
Ok, I just picked up my new IB&C and I really like some of the new colors (Cranberry Crisp and Caribbean Blue). However it clearly says "available this year only".

So if I buy a stamp pad and paper, what happens next year when I run out of paper and my stamp pad gets dry? Ok, I can stock up on paper and ink refills but eventually I will run out. Does anyone know if they will be available in the future?

Seems like buying from the In Color collection is a poor investment....?

Marina
It does pose an interesting dilemna, doesn't it? Much like when SU! discontinued Mauve Mist and Baroque Burgundy, two colors I adored and used frequently. . .

Funny, how mauve is swinging back into popularity, based on what I've seen in new products released of late. Perhaps SU! will regret that and reinstate those colors . . . who knows . . .

But, I know what you mean. I will probably stock up this year on reinkers and paper for the Caribbean Cool color just because it's soooooo gorgeous, and I will just CRY CRY CRY if they don't continue it after this year . . .
Old 07-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

For me it's simple - I love cranberry crisp and caribbean cool so I'll buy the reinkers and lots of paper throughout the year for future use. I probably won't buy the others at all.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

It seems as though everyone loves the cranberry and the carribean. I think they are both timeless colors. I know I will be adding them to my collection.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I'm getting all six. I like them and will lay in a supply that will last as long as my *nned* for that color.

Seems we all change our likes (color and stamp wise) quiet often from what I read here!

It is better to try these new colors this way, than to dump others and just add something that does not sell!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 07-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I noticed that a huge chunck of the samples in the catalog use the in colors. I could see new stampers buying mostly those colors and then the "in colors" each year. For those that have most of the colors, it's great to have new colors to play with.
Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34)
Old 07-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
It does pose an interesting dilemna, doesn't it? Much like when SU! discontinued Mauve Mist and Baroque Burgundy, two colors I adored and used frequently. . .

Funny, how mauve is swinging back into popularity, based on what I've seen in new products released of late. Perhaps SU! will regret that and reinstate those colors . . . who knows . . .

But, I know what you mean. I will probably stock up this year on reinkers and paper for the Caribbean Cool color just because it's soooooo gorgeous, and I will just CRY CRY CRY if they don't continue it after this year . . .
Oh, so glad to hear others who loved those colors! I miss Baroque Burgundy especially! I stashed some away to use occasionally. I like Bravo,
but it is too brown for some things.

I, too, love the Cool Caribbean, Cranberry Crisp, and the Buckaroo Blue. I'll invest in those and pass on the others.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I LOVE playing with new colors. I'm ordering all the new color ink pads and paper. I know as far as investment - it is probably not a good idea... but I'm going to try 'em and if I really find myself gravitating to a certain color by the end of next July, I'll just order up on reinker and paper for that color.
Then next year, I'll decide if it was a good investment. After all, I want my customers to be able to play with the new colors and have fun at my classes!

Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 07-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm just buying the multi pack of paper so I can play with them a little bit. Don't need to buy all the pads and refills because I won't use them next year.....havn't used my retired colors in months

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreations
For me it's simple - I love cranberry crisp and caribbean cool so I'll buy the reinkers and lots of paper throughout the year for future use. I probably won't buy the others at all.
These are my favorite colors in the entire SU color line. I have been writing almost weekly for a beautiful dark crimson for Christmas cards, cranberry crisp is my wish come true!!! I also am in love with caribbean cool..... I'm heatbroken that they are only around for a year, so I'll be stocking up on cardstock and reinkers as well. Great minds think alike!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default craft?

Why did they put them in so many simply scrappin kits and not sell the 12X12 in individual colors and craft inks?

Normally I am an all craft ink girl. I am loving the kits and buying them all. I guess I will have to use basic brown.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkub
I'm just buying the multi pack of paper so I can play with them a little bit. Don't need to buy all the pads and refills because I won't use them next year.....havn't used my retired colors in months
Same here -- I'll probably buy full packs later, but first I want to test them all out. At first when all those colors retired last year I thought I'd better stock up, but I never touched them again and sold them all after I signed up in August and got the new colors. I like the idea of a rotating set of colors that changes annually to keep things fresh and in tune with current trends. Besides, as I keep telling myself, an ink pad is only $5.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 07-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgafner
These are my favorite colors in the entire SU color line. I have been writing almost weekly for a beautiful dark crimson for Christmas cards, cranberry crisp is my wish come true!!! I also am in love with caribbean cool..... I'm heatbroken that they are only around for a year, so I'll be stocking up on cardstock and reinkers as well. Great minds think alike!
Indeed, and I'm using the cranberry in my Christmas cards this year!
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 07-02-2006, 03:02 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Zellar
Why did they put them in so many simply scrappin kits and not sell the 12X12 in individual colors and craft inks?

Normally I am an all craft ink girl. I am loving the kits and buying them all. I guess I will have to use basic brown.

The whole idea is to give the year a fresh look. Every upcoming year will be different up to date colors. I also love the Cranberry but it will look great with the Rich Regals. If you don't want to use Versamark, use your other craft inks. It might look good with one of the SS craft inks. I can't wait to experiment.
I'd rather them do the In Color line with fresh colors each year instead of retiring a bunch of colors every year. (I'm so hoping they won't) It doesn't make sense now that they are making Watercolor crayons and I hope the other products in SU colors keeps up.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-02-2006, 03:52 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm excited about the new colors! I'm getting all six in pads, CS, and re-inkers. If there are certain colors I really love, I'll stock up on those through the year. I bought four packs of Mauve Mist before it retired and still have a lot left. Like Julie, I LOVE that color!
Old 07-02-2006, 04:07 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I am going to buy all of the new colors. Love the Cranberry an dteh Buckaroo Blue. Probably buy reinkers and cardstock to last a while.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Old 07-02-2006, 04:11 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

As a hobby demo, I have spent the past year just trying to get the paper, pad ,and refill for each of last year's colors. I also bought the p, p, & r of the retiring colors last year. I have very few of any other colors. I will probably buy the new colors the same way and keep working to eventually own all the regular colors.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I am a SU customer and when I saw this thread I thought I would look more closely at the color choices in the catalog on-line (my demo is an vacation and her daughter is to call me when the box of catalogs arrives so I can deliver the addicted members of our monthly club - no call yet!) Anway. I looked at all 4 families on pages 202 and 203, I see none of the new colors you have listed. What colors were discontined?? And what are the new colors?

Thanks!
Angel #2951
Old 07-02-2006, 04:41 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Okay - I found the answer to the question I had on the 6 new colors. Pg 6 in the catalog... I would like to know if there were colors that retired this year. I didn't see anyone missing, but may have missed it.
Angel #2951
Old 07-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by clb211
Okay - I found the answer to the question I had on the 6 new colors. Pg 6 in the catalog... I would like to know if there were colors that retired this year. I didn't see anyone missing, but may have missed it.
No none retired! Just extra colors...I love the new colors, but won't get all of them b/c they won't be available next year. I will definatly be stocking up on that cranberry color though!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the caribbean, cranberry, but also the Marigold! I really like that color....I am surprised no one mentioned it yet...I will get pads and re inkers straight away, then probably paper throughout the year...
Old 07-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

It is all about sales. If you think something is limited you will buy more than you normally would and many people psychologically are attracted to time limited offers. They will sell more by doing this each year than if they made them continously available. If they sell outstandingly well they will probably bring them back at some point. It is all about marketing tactics. Why do you think so many stamp companies put things out in a limited amount?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I look at it this way: We spend so much money on things that can only be used once, like rub on's, prima's, brads, etc. We don't think twice about that.

So, we will get a year's worth of use on these new colors, so when you look at it that way, it's not such a bad investment.

Also, once the new colors are gone, I'll buy a few packs of each color cs, and that should last me a while, I think. By the time I run out, I'll have moved on to the next new color trends!

Vera
Old 07-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I think the new colors are really nice and will probably be getting them soon.
It's an interesting way to enjoy some different colors without disrupting the current color families. After all SU has to come up with new stuff so people won't be bored but at the same time they have to cater to those that get attached and get upset when things leave. This seems to be a great solution to me.

Yeah they probably aren't the very best long term investment, but color is one of the great things that an artist has to work with. After all if you don't have a wide variety of ink and paper with your stamps then you are more limited in what you can create.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I can't wait to get Cranberry Crisp and Cool Caribbean - this one will look great with Fish Frolics (a retired set that I just love).
Old 07-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I was really disappointed that they don't have craft ink for these. If they did, I would be on them like a dirty shirt for scrapbooking. But with only the classic, I would just get the paper and the ink refill for painting. I can always make a stamp pad in a pinch.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Evil Genius

SU Marketing department are EVIL GENIUSES!

I went to a new scrapbook store yesterday and purchased NOTHING! I am saving all my money for the first SU order.

The only new color I am unsure of is the Violet. I will have to see it in person.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

caribbean, cranberry and marigold are on my list. i will be sad to see these go, but i think that having a a rotating *in list* is a good idea. keeps things fresh.

anyone else disappointed that there are no markers? i am crushed by this!!! i am hoping to find some prisma colors that are close. anyone have luck with that yet?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Someone yesterday made a great observation about the new colors. If you go to any LSS & see the same thing over and over, eventually you get bored. You want something new, exciting!!! The only new color I'm on the fence about is marigold. I did order a packet of paper of marigold, but the rest of the colors I ordered paper & ink!
Old 07-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am going to get all 6 papers and pads...then see how it goes. I LOVE the colors...I will get reinkers later in the year, and as much paper as I can afford in the colors I can't get enough of. I LOVE Cranberry...My CM consultant currently keeps me stocked in it!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

i agree with everyone else. the caribbean and the cranberry are my FAVORITE colors ever. if you just restock as often as you can, you wont run out for a lonnnnnnnnng time....probably years. i'm thinkin about just ordering 1 or 2 packs and refils each time i place an order.