Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Default How would you respond?

I just sold a bunch of stuff on e-bay to get some extra $$ for the new SU catty.

So here's the story...

One of my auctions was for a lightbox with a bunch of stencils. I charged $5 for shipping and had to pay $7. I had a problem with PayPal that took me a day to fix so I threw in a baggie with a bunch of good embellishments. The auction closed Sunday, she paid Monday, I shiped it on Tuesday and it delivered today. Oh I should mention the auction said regular mail and I shipped it priority. I think I went above and beyond what I needed to.

The auction description said it was for one light box, a replacement bulb and 8 stencils and pictured as such.

So I get an e-mail today that says this:
"I thought this was a 10X12 lightbox. I already have one this small size. So I am dissappointed and am not leaving any feedback at all. My own mistake for not asking first but wanted you to know I'm not happy.The picture was deceiving."

I honestly didn't know there were two sizes otherwise I would have noted the size in the description. I feel like I need to reply to her message, but I have NO clue how do so. Is she wanting to return it? I feel I shouldn't have to because it was no fault of mine that it wasn't what she wanted. If she knew there were two sizes she should have asked. I guess I shouldn't leave feedback for her either right? If I did she'd probably leave me a negative afterwards and I obviously don't want that on my score. Uggggh.

Also, just curious, but does this picture look deceiving? I don't think so judging by the size of the stencils and the lightbulb box. But maybe that's just me cuz I know what size it is.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Sorry that was soooo long!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you know how big stencils are, then you can plainly see how big the light box is. People are rude and stupid. If it was me I would profusely apologize and state I didn't know there was different sizes and lay a big guilt trip on her. She still received her stuff lightening fast and got extra goodies as well so she should leave you positive feedback.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

You don't owe her anything! I have bought many items on ebay and yes some of them I wish I had gotten out my measuring tape as I was surprised by the small size when it came (an apron and a carry-all bag ...or should I say carry-one bag...hahaha). They had measurements listed but what I am saying is that as the buyers it's up to us to make a decision based on what we see & read. It was up to her to ask about the size and not assume. I would never think to leave no feedback or negative...that's just not fair. She is smart to not leave negative because it would make her look bad. And if she does just reply saying exactly what you told us...that you were not aware there are 2 sizes and there was no deception here. I wouldn't be offering to take it back! No way.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't think it is decieving at all. The stencils clearly show how big the lighbox is.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I buy a lot on Ebay and sell once in awhile and I think its obvious based on the size of the stencils the size of the light box. Most of my experiences have been good with Ebay but now and then someone crops up that will complain about anything. I would withhold feedback, especially since there is nothing positive to say about her. You wouldn't want to recommend her to another seller and if you leave negative she will do the same. I'd block her from your bidder's list.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #7  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

well, we all know that not all people that buy on eBay know what they're getting into. So, it's clear (and she admits) it was a mistake. You could have included the size to make your listing more clear, but I wouldn't say it was your fault.

You could choose to accept the return (minus shipping, and she pays shipping to you), then resell the item.

The only feedback you could leave at this point was that she paid promptly -- which she did.

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Old 06-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I would offer a refund and resell. It's her fault for not reading and it is ridiculous that she refuses to leave feedback when she admits it is her fault. Do not refund until you get the item back though.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Since she already had the "small" one, she obviously knew there were different sizes, so she could have easily emailed you to ask before she bid. Ebay is "buyer beware", and you should not feel at fault here. However, you are a very fair and honest person, so do what you need to do to feel OK with the transaction. If it's to offer to accept a return, then do it. Also, I would leave her positive feedback for prompt payment, and let her know you have done so when you send her your explanation that you did not realize there were different sizes, along with any offer if you decide to let her return it. Maybe that will prompt her to rethink her inappropriate reaction to the situation.

Whatever the outcome, you've gone above and beyond for your part.

Good luck...

ďAny time we canít solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.Ē ~Tony Blair
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I would save the email she sent you in case she leaves any type of negative comment....... then you have that email to save to back you up with other ebayers...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

O.K. I usually don't comment on something like this. I don't think this is your fault at ALL!!! You can see how big it is from the pic and I think she was excited to see this ordered it and did't even pay attention to what it actually was. I would not give her a refund nor would I worry about what she has to say about it you where more than good to her by putting extras in and shippingso quickly!! Good Luck
Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I'd give her a choice I guess...

A) if she wants a refund (minus shipping) then give it to her with return shipping at her expense... it's not worth the possible negative feedback if you plan to do a lot of business on ebay. I know people who actually wait until the 89th day and then post the negative. DH does a good deal of business on eBay with his hobby and generally goes that way.

Did it go for what you felt was a low, reasonable, or high price wise? not that it really matters... but did it seem like a "small" light box price or a "big" light box price? I've not looked at them - would it be really hard to resell?

B) does she like the stencils? Maybe you could counter offer for her to return the box and keep the stencils?

C) if she wants to keep it - tell her to quit whining! (JUST KIDDING!)
Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I actually think she handled it ok. She just wanted you to realize that it wasn't what she thought and that she was disappointed but that she wasn't going to ding you for it in feedback since it was in good condition etc. I don't always get feedback even when everything was perfect. No feedback is better than negative (even though you do not deserve negative). I am still learning when it comes to ebay. I feel like everytime I buy or sell I seem to learn a good lesson and next time will know what to do differently. You sold a quality item and have gotten some really good ideas in the prior posts on how you might handle the situation. I think that no matter what you decide to do it will be fine. You didn't misrepresent and therefore really don't have any obligation to offer a return...but I would definately acknowledge her email with a reply.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by conniemackoView Post
I'd give her a choice I guess...

A) if she wants a refund (minus shipping) then give it to her with return shipping at her expense... it's not worth the possible negative feedback if you plan to do a lot of business on ebay. I know people who actually wait until the 89th day and then post the negative. DH does a good deal of business on eBay with his hobby and generally goes that way.

Did it go for what you felt was a low, reasonable, or high price wise? not that it really matters... but did it seem like a "small" light box price or a "big" light box price? I've not looked at them - would it be really hard to resell?

B) does she like the stencils? Maybe you could counter offer for her to return the box and keep the stencils?

C) if she wants to keep it - tell her to quit whining! (JUST KIDDING!)
YIKES! I just re-read that! clarification on DH... he would give a REFUND not leave feedback on day 89! Golly Oops!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would not offer her a refund or return... she knows SHE made the mistake and from what you have said it doesn't sound like she is asking for a refund or to return it. Your picture is not deceiving at all and she should have asked questions. It's almost better that she is not leaving feedback because even if she left a positives she could say something in it that might not be super positive, kwim? (I had someone complain once in a positive feedback that the stamps I sold them were stained... which I had clearly stated in the description that they were heavily stained!) Anyways, like someone else said, hang on to that email in case she does leave you a negative, but otherwise just let it go. If you choose to respond to her email at all you can say that you feel badly that she is disappointed but you were unaware there even was 2 sizes and that your picture was not intended to be deceptive at all. I would leave it at that though and wish her a good day and probably block her off your bidder list! HTH!
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

This is when you reply to her saying, "I am so sorry you were not clear on the size. Stamin' Up! only makes one size light box. It is the 8.5 x 11. I am happy to refund it for you if you mail everything back to me. Of course, I understand if you choose to just resell it yourself. At any rate, I do want my customers to be happy so please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Sincerley, me."
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Oohhh... Amy05, I like your response
Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy05View Post
This is when you reply to her saying, "I am so sorry you were not clear on the size. Stamin' Up! only makes one size light box. It is the 8.5 x 11. I am happy to refund it for you if you mail everything back to me. Of course, I understand if you choose to just resell it yourself. At any rate, I do want my customers to be happy so please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Sincerley, me."

This idea seems very generous on your part. While you are under no obligation to help the customer with her mistake, this reaction might prompt her to think about her options as well.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I am so sorry for your bad experiance,...I so agree with all the above that you are not obligated to refund and all the lovely things that you sent with, some people are just not happy no matter what you do. I wish I could be more help,I always enclude in my ebay add,all sales are final. I have been bit too,did not read well,but just sucked it up,did leave pos feedback because it was my error.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Exclamation Are you kidding me???

Wowza! Some people on eBay are such complainers. I think you handled it well buy adding in the extra goodies and with the shipping. I would send her a response email explaining that you didn't know there were different sizes and that you thought that the stencils and light box were enough to give bidders an idea of dimensions. I would also state in the response that you wish she would have emailed and asked for the dimensions if it was of such importance to her....don't let her get off thinking it is your fault. "cause it SOOO isn't! Then I would ask her for feedback and if she gives you negative feedback you can dispute it with Ebay and explain the situation...clear it all up. Let's face it, the lady is nuts, but you do deserve feedback and positve at that.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

looks like a small light box to me...

regardless though.. buyer beware
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Location: The Beautiful Eastside (of Lake WA), Washington State

Not deceiving...her fault for assuming. You didnt do anything wrong, and shes a grouch! Dont leave feedback for her, unless she does for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Don't offer her a refund. Her mistake, not yours. Her end of the transaction went fine. Leave her positive feedback. She said she would not leave any feedback for you. No biggie. I am sure all of your other transactions will leave you nice feedback. I think the transaction went smoothly and that should be the end of it. (IMHO)
Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

It is her mistake ... and she has said that. She didn't ask for a refund. I agree with what Michelle stated in the post above. And of course, save her response just in case of whatever.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Tough s*$t is what I say. If she knew there were different sizes then she sould have asked. Save the email in case she tries to ding you with bad feedback and report her to eBay. Some people are born to whine. I've bought stuff off eBay that I wish I could have seen before paying, but buyer beware! There is aboslutley nothing that you did to cause any nevgativity, nothing!

Melissa
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Not deceiving at all but you should consider this for your next auction & ask yourself if you've given enough details in your description before you post it for 'go live'.
The bulb box & stencils give a scale to the lightbox so anyone who is familiar with the 'tools of the trade' or owns any size lightbox should be able to judge the size of the one you were selling. If she had any doubts it was for her to ask you the size. Personally, I've only seen the 10x12 size (& own one). Had I seen your auction would have assumed it was the same size. A lot of auctions have very basic descriptions - if I'm interested I email w/questions.

I'd leave it alone & not respond. I interpret her note this way - she knows the mistake is hers, knows it was for her to ask the size, may be disappointed, AND knows she got some extra goodies & extra fast shipping (not part of the deal) - wants you to feel her disappointment, maybe hoping you'll offer to take it back. I wouldn't - from her first reaction any offer you make probably wouldn't satisfy her. I agree with the others - if she doesn't leave feedback, you can either simply state that 'she paid on time' or no feedback. If she leaves something negative, your feedback should state the facts as you told them to us.
Kitty
Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

She's hoping you'll offer to refund her money, that's all. She said it plainly enough...she should have asked. Since she didn't, she shouldn't have said anything! I've sold hundreds of items on ebay and bought lots of stuff too. I've received things that weren't as I imagined, but never said a word to the seller because it wasn't misrepresented...and the onus was on me to ask.

If it were me, I wouldn't reply. Don't leave feedback either. Keep an eye out for any feedback she might leave...and respond if you get negative, but otherwise, just let "sleeping dogs lie"

HTH
Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I think you handled it perfectly. As an eBay seller, I never leave positive feedback until the buyer has done so for me. Each eBay transaction is live & learn. I have had mostly positive experiences, but for every 10 transactions I'll get one that's a doozy. Some people always have something to complain about. In my humble opinion, if you want something perfect, then go to the store -- don't go to eBay.

You are under no obligation to do anything further and I wouldn't.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I would not leave her any feedback--it was obvious how big the light box was, she should have asked instead of assuming. You owe her nothing!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had (only) one experience similar to yours selling on Ebay (not stamping related). I sold a breastfeeding dress and clearly stated in the description that it was burgundy floral. The person who won it bid on 2 of my items but only won the dress...for which she paid only $2.99 plus shipping. When she received it, she emailed me that it was "not her color" and that it appeared to be brown in the pic.

I felt terrible....offered that she could return it if she wanted to (not an option, since shipping was more than the cost of the dress) and also suggested she could re-list and would most likely get more than she paid, and probably would recoup most or all of her shipping cost also. Never heard from her again. I didn't leave feedback for her for the very reason you stated.

Guess my advice to you would be to ask her what SHE would suggest....do that if it's reasonable, or suggest an alternative for her. I also would not leave feedback unless she does so first.

Just my .02.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I'm so glad to hear that the picture isn't deciving.

I think I'm going to e-mail her an appology but state that I didn't know there was more than one size. If she were paying retail she would have paid the same for the stencils alone so I'm going to suggest she sell it herself. After all my fees for e-bay & pay pal, plus the time to deal with getting it back and reselling it, it's just not worth the hassle! My auction stated no returns (I only do returns for big auctions) so I'm going to stick with that. I'm also going to check back on the 89th day for feeback! LOL I know it's dumb, but if she ends up putting a negative on my feedback at the last minute I want to respond appropriately.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol LeeView Post
If you know how big stencils are, then you can plainly see how big the light box is. People are rude and stupid. If it was me I would profusely apologize and state I didn't know there was different sizes and lay a big guilt trip on her. She still received her stuff lightening fast and got extra goodies as well so she should leave you positive feedback.
Ditto. If she had questions, she should have asked them before buying. I can see from the pic that the stencils are small, so I know that the light table is not huge either. Also, I can see that the light bulb is next to it and know that is not large, which also gives me an idea of the size of the table.