Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default How in the world . . .

do you go anywhere else to do cards or scrapbook? I have so much stuff, I wouldn't know where to begin with packing it all up. I have so much stuff!

I'm new to this. I've only been to a few workshops/parties. I've never done a "scrap night" or any of those things, but I'd love to try it sometime.

I know A LOT of you on this board have FABULOUS craft rooms - with a whole bunch more stuff than I have. How do you do it?

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

It requires some preplanning...that's for sure. I think about what themes I want to work on ahead of time. Put everything for that project in one 12x12 ziplock bag. Then I think in generics...I bring all my inkpads because I never know what color I'm going to need, I bring any stamp sets that are along that theme if I've only decided on a theme and not a particular set, I bring along a bag of my most used embellishments (mini brads and such). Usually I do pretty good...but occasionally I will forget something. Usually someone else is willing to fill in the gap. That's the good thing about us scrappers/stampers...we play well together!

Jane
Old 05-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #3  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

If I go away somewhere to scrapbook, I don't take everything. I take the pages I'm working on, anything I'll need for them, stickers, punches, markers, adhesive etc. Then I fill in the extra space in my carrier with things I think I MIGHT need!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

It just seems like so much work. Isn't it just easier to stay in my own craft space and do it there? Or is that really antisocial?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I go to a local store once a week and stamp with my friend. When I first started, I felt the need to have ALL I OWNED with me in case I needed it. Now that I've been at it for a while, I kind of make myself decide what I want to work on, and then pack accordingly. I made myself a "project box" (just a little photo storage box) and put everything I need in there. It'll get better!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I often stamp with my neighbours and we usually end up running back and forth for punches or other supplies that are required at the drop of a hat. Most often I am prepared before hand with everything in a baggy for three or four projects that have been pre-designed and cut out. I love getting together with friends to stamp.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I go to my LSS on fridays for 3 hours, and do a full on 5+ hour crop there once a month or so....I am still in the " bring EVERYTHING" phase cause I can't seem to find the time to plan, but I am working on it.
I am going to try strictly a few cards this week and just bring the bare essentials ( which means one bag, not 5)
GOOD luck and have fun!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

one more thing.......if you can stamp what you need at home....it is SOOO much less to bring!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I actually just had this problem. I have to travel for work this week but wanted to bring something with me to work on at the hotel. I put together a kit so that I can work on clothespin magnets while I'm gone. All the supplies (minus the clothespins) fit in one of the background stamp plastic storage boxes and it will give me something to do in the evening!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Putting together a kit for whatever it is you're working on makes the most sense to me, but I tend to invite friends over to my craft room and do my socializing that way, LOL! Most of them don't have any stamps at all and love to scrap in my room and borrow my stamps. Other than the fact that one of them is really bad about cleaning stamps before putting them back in the drawers, this has worked well and makes me feel more justified in the many, many stamps I have!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

i did this not too long ago...

i just designed 8 cards. as i made 1 of each, i did most all the cutting and some of the stamping. i put all the supplies to make 4 more of each design into a baggie. and took only the ink pads and markers and stamps i needed instead of all the markers, all the ink pads, the whole stamp set... you get the idea.

i used a plastic shoe box for all the ink and markers (about 5 ink pads and several markers).
i used a stamp & store box for the misc. stamps, i did take a BG stamp as well.
and my little 'to go box' ---> //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/517137?cat=9723
here is the basket with all the baggies ---> //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/527163?cat=9723
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

That's why I usually have everyone come HERE to stamp and scrap.

If I am going somewhere else I also just decide ahead of time what I am going to be working on and cut it all at home and just bring what I need.

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 05-07-2007, 04:54 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I've tried going to cropping nights here in town but was disappointed every time. The stores tools were not really available for use as advertised because they were reserved for a craft class and I found the women there to be hmmmm less than friendly. I gave it 3 tries before giving up. I'd like it if there was an organized weekly or monthly scrapping/crafting event somewhere, but I've yet to find one.

I think I'd follow suit with the other suggestions in having my project planned out and all the pieces cut and organized for assembly. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I am going to the edmonton get together and not to sure what to pack...I am buying the crop&style bag thats on wheels and an extendable handle.....b ut I am worried about forgetting somthing that I will really need. So I have started planning what I am going to be doing and needing{its not tillthe 26th and 27th of this month} and so far I might have to buy 2 of these bags sheesh!!!!

http://stampingmarina.blogspot.com/
Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all these great ideas!
I think with a little "pre-planning", I should be fine. I tend to be a obsessive planner - at least my husband says that all the time. It's the exact opposite of him, so we compliment each other well!

I appreciate all of your input!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

It is HARD to do.

I am planning a trip where I NEED to take a lot of stuff. I will be gone 6-8 weeks and will be in the middle of no where, so no store to run to and pick up anything. I also am bringing supplies for another stamper, who has nothing! I did it last summer and we had a blast! I know I took too much, but... The van was dragging as it was so heavy with paper and wood mounted stamps (and all the other necessities of a summer long adventure - clothes, food, etc.!) Hopefully, I will do a bit better this time and not take so much excess...It takes a ton of planning!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I always have to go to other's houses for stamping and its a pain to do (they have bigger areas than I do). but planning it out works the best. I don't scrap (yet) so its all card making. I bought a compartment box (from Stampin Up but I didn't see it in this catalog - maybe they don't sell it any longer?) but it has compartments on both sides of it, flips open on each side, and all of my 'everyday' stuff is in there (glue, tape, scissors, boner, setters, tape, ruler, pen, stuff like that). Then I usually have a rubbermaid box that I put my other stuff in (paper, punches, inks, etc.). But I usually know ahead of time what I am going to work on so I know what stamps and papers and ink pads to bring. And if I forget something, I borrow when I get to wherever I am going. They use my stuff too so it all evens out. I have one of those big cropper luggage things but I just hate lugging that thing around, even though its on wheels. If I was scrapping for a long time, I would probably bring that, but usually it stays at home, all sad and alone! But I get way more done if I know exactly what I am going to be working on so I can pack what I need and just focus on doing that. Otherwise, I spend too much time packing and it just isn't worth it.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have a lot of stuff (definately nothing like the ladies here!) but my CM demo does an all day scrap event 4 times a year....................so I pile all my stuff in the trunk..........and it becomes my mobile scrap closet............lmao

I'm not great at planning ahead for the projects.........I kind of just do it as the mood hits me. So i like to have all my stuff together.

If it's smaller events that are just a couple of hours i'll take a few things because most of the time the other people i go with just share among ourselfes.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I know the feeling, I don't know how they do it either! I would want everything there, including the pc for inspiration!!!! hehehehe
Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Crop in Style Navigator bag for going to crops for scrapbooking but I usulaly end up bringing another bag for my punches and another bag for my idea books and photos.

When I go stamping I have a little Cropper Hopper box, the one SU used to sell where one side has spot for 8 1/2 x 11 paper and the other side has divided compartments -- I put stuff in there and then usually just a black ink pad and whatever I want to use to color stuff in. On the go I can stamp a bunch of images and color and get my stamping "fix" in. If I have stuff precut I can adhere also but usually this is what I have in there.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinseykitty
It just seems like so much work. Isn't it just easier to stay in my own craft space and do it there? Or is that really antisocial?

That's what I do... I am solitary scrapper/stamper because of how much I hate prepping and packing. But I am VERY social person though.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

You may laugh, but I had to make a list. It was a realllll bummer to go to a crop and have to go back home for my.....photos.

album
adhesive eraser
books for inspiration
brads
corner rounder
crop a dile
exact-o knife
eyelets
glue
ink pads
large trimmer
markers
multipurpose tool
paper
pen and photo pencil
personal trimmer
Photos
ribbon
scissors
scrappin pens
stamp cleaner
stamp scrubber
stamps
stickers
Tape runner
vellum glue dots
vellum tape
Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I organize a scrapbooking/craft night for my church every 6 weeks or so and I by far, take the most stuff with me... it definitely helps to pre-plan your projects though. I also find that it is also kind of fun to challenge yourself with limited supplies, I think it can make things more simplified. For myself I really enjoy the time "out" for me but I don't feel as creative when I am not in my own craft room so that is another reason for me to preplan my scrapbook pages while I am still feeling creative in my own space
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

How about trying to pack up every six months to move from FL to NC and back???? It's a nightmare and of course I have more each time I pack up. I'm about to the point of getting duplicates of some of the things -- like paper. BUT I love the change of scenery so it's worth it and my DH has his toys also.

Wanda
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

To help in the pre-planning, I actually sketch out what I want my LOs to look like, then I plan around that. Then like a PP said, I pack ALL my ink pads and ALL my ribbons (they are in little baby food jars). Of course, even with them sketched out how I want them to look, they don't always turn out that way :} And I sometimes forget things, but it's fun to go talk
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, when I'm going someplace besides my own crop at my church, it requires some pre-planning. Deciding which stamps to take, etc., and squishing that into a smaller space.
I have two CIS totes, an accordian style paper carrier, a Cropper Hopper suitcase thingy, and one of the black portable cd bags for my ink pads. If I plan REALLY good, I can get by with one CIS tote and the Cropper Hopper suitcase. Usually I end up taking my paper carrier and my ink pads too, though. Just in case, ya know!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I scrap a lot outside my home so I keep a Michael's plastic bin full of misc stamps to bring with me that include flowers, alphas, sentiments, doodles, circles, etc. The bin is always ready so I just have to grab it and go. If I use those stamps at home I put them right back into the bin when I'm finished.

I keep a shoulder bag full of cardstock and misc patterned paper ready to take with me for some extra paper choices. I put together 12x12 baggie kits of cardstock, embellies, ribbon, rubons, photos, etc so I can just grab a few to go.

I keep my colorbox and ancient page inks in a couple of small plastic containers so I can grab them and put them into my tote along with a small plastic container of markers and pens.

I keep a small container with scissors, adhesive, ruler, pen, pencil, hole punch, etc ready to grab and go.

By doing this I can pack in just a few minutes...just taking a few extra minutes to grab a few more punches, ribbon, a few magazines, etc and away I go. I have this down to a science and can pack really quickly now.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been bringing my projects to work and working on them at lunch. I bought a rolling case (Making Memories) since I always overpack, no matter what.

I find it works better for me if my materials are all cut out and measured at home before, but I've brought my smaller paper trimmer with me.

It gives me a nice break in the day and a couple of us worked on board books / purses for Mother's Day.