Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   How to stamp with a big foam-based type stamp (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-stamp-big-foam-based-type-stamp-619013/)

Cynamom 07-13-2017 01:54 PM

How to stamp with a big foam-based type stamp

Hello,

Recently I bought a big foam-mount type stamp and have no acrylic block big enough to put it on. It's a Julie Nutting mermaid stamp. What do I use to stamp with it? It's super long! Ugh. Do they make super big acrylic blocks? I have a block big enough to use part of it at a time, but have no idea what to do if I want to stamp with the whole thing.

Thanks,

Cindy

gregzgurl 07-13-2017 02:52 PM

You could use one of the plates from a Cuttlebug or Big Shot in place of an acrylic block - even a DVD case could work! Alternately, you could lay the stamp face-up on your table, ink it up, carefully lay your cardstock on top, press it down with a book or something (or just carefully rub it with your fingers, being careful not to shift the paper at all), then carefully lift the cardstock off.

iamvics 07-13-2017 03:18 PM

Quilting rulers work great, too.

Cynamom 07-13-2017 03:49 PM

Those are great ideas. THANKS! :)

dini 07-18-2017 03:29 AM

Great ideas! Would she fit in the MISTI?

If you do end up needing a larger acrylic block, I've gotten custom cut ones on ebay.

bjeans 07-18-2017 04:31 AM

I have some huge and extremely thick foam stamps used for Gelli plating, but have used a few as regular stamps. (They're way too thick for a stamping platform.) I've used them the same way as for all of my full coverage background stamps: lay CS on top of the stamp and press carefully all over with one hand, holding the CS with the other, and swapping hands as needed. That sounds more complicated than it is; the hand swapping is automatic.

sjsouth 07-19-2017 04:59 AM

I have used the bottom of a pyrex baking dish before now!

Rebecca Ednie 07-19-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom (Post 21498237)
Hello,

Recently I bought a big foam-mount type stamp and have no acrylic block big enough to put it on. It's a Julie Nutting mermaid stamp. What do I use to stamp with it? It's super long! Ugh. Do they make super big acrylic blocks? I have a block big enough to use part of it at a time, but have no idea what to do if I want to stamp with the whole thing.

Thanks,

Cindy

I love that stamp! Where did you buy it?

Rebecca Ednie 07-19-2017 06:46 PM

I tend to paper piece my JN stamps so I rarely stamp the whole thing. Since I use x-press it cardstock for the arms, legs and head, I stamp them individually with regular sized blocks, using up my scraps. Then just glue them to the patterned paper I use for the clothes. Of course a mermaid doesn't wear much in the way of clothes but I would probably paper piece her tail.

Otherwise I use my MISTI which is essentially one huge stamping block.