Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to really get on a roll ...

This may seem like a dumb question to some of you ... I have been into papercrafting, cardmaking, scrapbooking etc. for a little over one year now and I feel like I am stuck in a rut ... I see SOOOOO many wonderful, creative things and I wonder jeez what am I doing wrong how do I not know some of this stuff ...? So my question is this ... did you take classes to learn all of thes amazing techniques and if so where, did you research, read books, what is it that I am missing? I feel like my creations are just blah not fun, fancy and oh so creative. Any suggestions / imput would be greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Start playing the the SCS Challenges, it's a great way to further your creative process!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

mainly here and participating on the challenges, that has helped me so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

You may be overwhelmed by all you see online.

Maybe try CAS cards to get you back into the mind frame of creating...or perhaps follow one or two Challenge threads. I say one or two....don't try them all...that will just drown you and the loss of Mojo will be at your feet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Gina K's StampTV has great technique tutorials on video--so easy to learn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I agree - do some of the challenges. I would really suggest the "Try a new technique" one if you want to learn new and fun things. It is posted on Monday each week, but you can do it whenever.
Try some challenges and then also remind yourself that you can't learn it all at once. You have to remember that a lot of people on SCS have been doing this for years. You have to learn, and I know it is hard, not to compare yourself to others on this site. Spend your time crafting and having fun, not wondering what you did wrong or why doesn't my project look like hers. Learn at your own pace and go with your own style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Challenges and focus on one thing at a time, i.e., cards for a while and when you feel comfortable that, move to scrapbooks. Learning new techniques is good too, although I'm the first to admit that I'm a technique weenie and I'm afraid of them outside of the basics. I personally find it hard to work on a card for an hour and then switch over to scrapbooking, although I'm trying to get better about that. I'm just neurotic and that's my problem. I am in my own little scary world most of the time.

I will tell you from personal experience, don't compare yourself to others. That takes the fun out of it. Every single time I think something just is awful, that's the project that gets the most hits and favs. We are our own worst critics. I even had these baby ATCs that I thought were so bad I didn't even put them on my own blog but sent them to CARDS magazine and they published them even!

Just have fun and create what you like. That's all that really matters anyhow.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
Start playing the the SCS Challenges, it's a great way to further your creative process!
My very first reaction...challenges. You can find them here.

Hi Val!

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned just about everything I know about stamping from doing the SCS Challenges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #10  

The challenges are great, to be sure, but what I've found that really helped: actually looking very closely at a card I felt was awesome by another stamper. I looked at it and asked myself, "now, what is it about this card that makes it stand out for me?". It might have been the colours, that amazing combination of bolds with softs; the images used in a creative way; the watercolouring or Copic markering (yes, I know it's not a word); the embellishments ... so, then as you try the challenges, use what you're learning and incorporate them. It's not just about participating in a challenge, it's focussing on what you're doing. It's not about the accolades you may or may not receive, it's about finding your own groove and creativity. Like Cindy said, don't compare yourself to others, you'll never match up. I'll never be a Jeanne S when it comes to colours and colouring, I'll never be a Faith H. (markiesmom) when it comes to amazing embellishments, I'll never be a ... and the list could go on and on and on. Just be you and strive to do the best you can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I learned just about everything I know about stamping from doing the SCS Challenges.
Oh no kidding. Me too, but you're good!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
The challenges are great, to be sure, but what I've found that really helped: actually looking very closely at a card I felt was awesome by another stamper. I looked at it and asked myself, "now, what is it about this card that makes it stand out for me?". It might have been the colours, that amazing combination of bolds with softs; the images used in a creative way; the watercolouring or Copic markering (yes, I know it's not a word); the embellishments ... so, then as you try the challenges, use what you're learning and incorporate them. It's not just about participating in a challenge, it's focussing on what you're doing. It's not about the accolades you may or may not receive, it's about finding your own groove and creativity. Like Cindy said, don't compare yourself to others, you'll never match up. I'll never be a Jeanne S when it comes to colours and colouring, I'll never be a Faith H. (markiesmom) when it comes to amazing embellishments, I'll never be a ... and the list could go on and on and on. Just be you and strive to do the best you can!
Oh Renee, your gallery is fabulous! I've CASEd several of your cards in some shape or form (seriously). That black butterfly one you did today was amazing. I actually sold that stamp set because it just never did anything for me and was regretting it when I saw your card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
Same here, just about everything.

The resources section here is a great, well, resource, too!

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/

Be sure to utilize all the links at the top of the page, in addition to what opens up when you click on the link.

Hi Lori!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Thank you everyone for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

My LSS has demonstrations, free make-it-take-its and offers classes. I like the tutorials on blogs and Gina Ks Stamp TV plus You Tube is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am taking a real live art class this Saturday at the stamp store in town. It is a mixed media class and I am really nervous. I am a stay in the line copier and not purple elephants kinda' girl. We'll see what come out of those 9 hours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Patience!

I've only been stamping a couple of years too. Like other posters I take classes, do SCS challenges, case cards I like, but my greatest learning takes place when I make mistakes. The failed paper in my scrap pile has taught me that practice makes perfect. I don't feel I ever have to, or will, know it all. It's not a race and "it's only paper." Have fun.

Minneapple
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

When I started there were not many online resources so I bought mags, books, and took classes. Now with the net, there a tons of resources. When I find something that looks interesting ,I search here on SCS and other sites to see what others are doing and then I just play with the technique.

I don't try to make the project right away. I use junky papers so I don't feel bad when it doesn't turn out the way I expected. I learned what inks work on what surfaces, how EP works and doesn't work, how I could use what I had on hand instead of buying something new. etc. Then I made projects and a much better success rate.

Also, when I take a class I always consider the project to be my sample. I know that the instructor has spent a lot of time learning so I cannot possibly expect to be as good as they are when I'm just learning. It really takes the pressure off so I just have fun.

Be open to trying things you wouldn't normally do. I participate in challenges because they do challenge me to use colors or techniques I wouldn't normally use. When I first started, I hated boxes and cutting. Now I love them - you never know until you try something new - it might just become your favorite.

Bottom line is just have fun and don't expect everything to be a masterpiece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #20  

3 suggestions...

Click on GALLERY on the top of the page, then click on TECHNIQUE GALLERY, find a fun technique to try.

SCS Challenges (or other) there's tons on here. I'd especially recommend trying one that you don't think you'd be good at. Look at what other people have submitted for that challenge if you need to get more ideas!

Looking at other people's work. Look through the daily submissions and even search by stamp set - that's a great way to get ideas for using a stamp set that you have! Like someone else said, find out what it is about a person's card that makes you like it. (I found out, for me it was layers! Lots of cards have 2 or 3 layers or mats behind one thing and that's why I liked them)

Have fun! SCS is such a great site! I've learned so much here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I gave myself a challenge to make at least one card from every stamp set I own starting with A. I'm up to P and it is really helping me be creative. I check the galleries here, of course, and get tons of inspiration that way. Good luck on your quest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh the art class was great!!! I feel really motivated now and I am seeing things differently. We dyed paper towels, rusted paper, used the cuttlebug, used clay, alcohol inks--it was kinda' overwhelming but she is a fabulous artiste! I post in my gallery what we made...rather what mine came to be. Every single one was different even though we all did the exact same techniques. My two new loves? waxing and alcohol inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #23  

If you can find a Stampin' Up Demo in your area that does classes that's a great way to try tools and techniques before shelling out the money up front. I know there are some cool techniques out there that I would not have attempted on my own since I didn't own all the tools for it unless my demo showed it first.

You learn a lot from the demo but also from the others attending the classes. Good Luck

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

My greatest resource is my stampin up demo. She is amazing!Try to get to a technique class with yours, you learn so much. I also do the challenges here.
Youtube is also wonderful if you are a visual learner, you can find most things on there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Default I usually...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa MarieView Post
This may seem like a dumb question to some of you ... I have been into papercrafting, cardmaking, scrapbooking etc. for a little over one year now and I feel like I am stuck in a rut ... I see SOOOOO many wonderful, creative things and I wonder jeez what am I doing wrong how do I not know some of this stuff ...? So my question is this ... did you take classes to learn all of thes amazing techniques and if so where, did you research, read books, what is it that I am missing? I feel like my creations are just blah not fun, fancy and oh so creative. Any suggestions / imput would be greatly appreciated!
I usually do the following:
1) Scroll through one or two sites that I find particularly inspiring (ex. SCS and MojoMonday)
2) Scribble down any and all layout ideas that I like (10 or so)
3) Grab a pack of DSP, matching CS, and 2 or 3 stamp sets that match
4) Go to town!

Hope this helps! It works for me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Default Thank you ...

You are all so wonderful! Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have spent the week looking at different techniques and think I will go to town tomorrow!

Wish me luck ...

M

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by patkoView Post
My greatest resource is my stampin up demo. She is amazing!Try to get to a technique class with yours, you learn so much. I also do the challenges here.
Youtube is also wonderful if you are a visual learner, you can find most things on there.

I have always thought that the only reason to have a party with a Demo is to purchase product. I feel guilty if I don't purchase anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

There are so many wonderful stampers on this site and anytime I see one of their wonderful creations that I would like to create, but am having a problem, I have found that I can email them and ask questions and everyone of them has been more than willing to email me back with instructions or tips/techniques. This community is very loving and supportive. Thanks so very, very much. I know that my projects have become better in the last year or so because of the mentoring that I have received. Thanks and Thanks for letting me CASE CASE CASE. Hugs....Lola
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

When I started this (several years ago now!) I had exactly the same problem -- I hated everything I made and almost gave up. But I kept going to play with a friend (she got me started -- it's all her fault) and we took some classes together from SU demos. That way we got to try all kinds of techniques without having to buy all the special tools for each one.
My favorite mojo-starter tricks are:
1. try a new technique from the resources page here on SCS
2. try a sketch layout from a sketch challenge
3. copy part or all of a card I love from the gallery, but use different colors or different stamps
4. when I want to feel really challenged, I go admire some of Michelle Zindorf's stuff -- she is amazing (no, mine never look like that!). http://zindorf.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/

Best of all, there are tons of amazing people posting on SCS to provide inspiration and great ideas. I have to remind myself they all started the same way we did -- at the beginning! Don't be afraid to ask for help, critiques, or advice -- someone will have just the answer you need.

Best of luck & happy creating!
Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Go shopping! I've been at it a little over a year too. I felt my cards got so much better when I had nice supplies. Especially Papertrey Ink, and Nestabilities.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
I Agree! Challenges will bolt you thru any funky ruts you may be in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Default demo classes

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthasMommyView Post
I have always thought that the only reason to have a party with a Demo is to purchase product. I feel guilty if I don't purchase anything.
I'm a CTMH fan personally, but the idea is the same. My demo holds different types of classes, not just home parties. I attend three different ones: a monthly technique class, a monthly 2 page scrapbook layout, and a bi-montly card making party. Some require a purchase commitment, some just a fee to cover costs of materials. The demo knows that they may not get sales at the fee ones, but the more you learn, the more likely you are to buy. I often find that after a class, there is something new on my wish list; a new stamp set, an ink colour I hadn't tried before but decided I liked/need it; a tool... there are things I was afraid to buy without trying or stuff I thought I'd never use and ended up buying later because I used it in a class. They're just pictures in a catalogue until someone shows you the possibilities. The more stuff you use, the more replacements you'll need to buy. Satisfied customers will eventually return, so ask your demo what classes are available and the costs involved and just have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
I gave myself a challenge to make at least one card from every stamp set I own starting with A. I'm up to P and it is really helping me be creative. I check the galleries here, of course, and get tons of inspiration that way. Good luck on your quest!
Oh what a cool idea and great personal challenge.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Great minds think alike! My resolution for this year was to use every image stamp I own on a card. (I send cards to the troops for their use, so I have someplace to send all these creations!)

I'm not quite as methodical as you with the alphabetical organization, but I keep a list of all the sets I finish using with a code telling me whether the set was easy, okay, or hard for me to use. I'm going to get rid of the hard sets, look for better sets to replace the okay ones, and keep the easy-to-use sets.

This has been HUGELY helpful to my stamping in general, and I've learned so much about my style and what works for me. But then, I have tons of stamps and likely won't finish this resolution in one year, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Well, for me, the challenges just don't do it. I feel intimidated by them, to be honest. What has helped me the most is looking at the SCS gallery, trying things out on my own and with others as I am a pretty visual / "hands-on" learner, and researching a technique that I want to incorporate into my cards. Stamptv has also provided me with a lot of knowledge too.
Reply With Quote Likes