Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How old before using your stamps?

I have a question for those of you with children. At what age did/will you let your kids use your stamps to create pictures?

I am thinking of letting my 2 year old loose (supervised) with a single inkpad (that way colors can't get ruined) and a couple of outline stamps where the wooden blocks have been varnished. I am not sure what other precautions I should take.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I let my boys(2.5 and 5 yrs) start out with $1.50 Michael's stamps (I am anal with my SU Stamps!) and the 5 yr old actually does a good job cleaning them on the stampin' scrub so he has now graduated using some of my SU stamps. My 2.5 yr old, likes to "create"(translation: make messes) so he and I are content that he use only the buck-fifty stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like to let my DS use the wheels. He thinks they are really cool. If he uses a stamp, I have to be right there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have 6 children (see avatar)--ranging in age from 15 years to 20 months. I didn't start stamping till after the baby was born, so he is the first one to "grow up stamping!" :-) In the last 4-5 months, he has been picking up stray stamps and "stamping" on whatever surface is available (so cute). I don't seal my stamp blocks, but I still let him (and all the others, of course) stamp as long as I'm watching. I can't imagine he could do anything to the stamps (maybe bite a hole in one--that's why I watch!), just to surfaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampinmom
I like to let my DS use the wheels. He thinks they are really cool. If he uses a stamp, I have to be right there.
Great idea, never thought about letting my kids use the wheels, TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

DD (age 3) started "stamping" last year, she started using ink this year - LOL! I am also one who has bought her own stamps for her use only (she asks if she wants to use one of mine, I ask if I want to use one of hers). She also has her own (dollar store) inkpads since she is a "double dipper", but she does clean them off with my Stampin' Scrub. The table is covered by blueprint size sheets of paper (DH works for Xerox, and we get any "discards") to protect it (and my sanity)...

My sister "freaks" when I let DD & DNeice (her daughter) stamp since they do the "double dip" thing, but I figure you can't stifle creativity (so long as it's not creativity *ON* my table or walls...)

Les
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter started when she was 2 but only while I supervised. She has to use kids washable inks (not my good SU stuff!) but she uses my SU stamps (only certain sets) in addition to Michaels ones I've purchased. I showed her about stamping off the extra ink onto scrap paper then cleaning it on the scrubber pad, putting the lids back on the inks when she's done using a particular color, etc. She does a great job (better than some of my customers!). My son is 9 now and also started when he was 2. He gets more of my "good" stuff to use because he's older and really watches out for my supplies.

I don't think I'd let some of my friend's kids use the same supplies I let my kids use because their kids aren't exactly careful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

My DD (16Months) is already fascinated with the stamps and likes to mimic what I am doing...so I have decided to get some kid ones for her...cuz I don't like to share ;) As long as it is non-toxic and washable, I figure it will be less intriguing if I let her stamp vs. keeping it as a mommy only thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

My kids are 6.5, 4, 9mos. The two older ones started stamping as early as 18mos. I finally figured out the trick!!!

Buy Versamark, Chalk & Daubers (or use QTips). The kids stamp on copy paper with Versamark, then daub on chalk. They call it magic stamping. The stamps stay clean, no worries about ink pads being destroyed or getting ink on clothes, etc. I have two sets of chalk, they have yet to break one piece of chalk (amazing!). Chalk washes clean from everything!

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I let my kids do it young but as several others never my SU stamps LOL I bought $1 Michael stamps and their own stamp pad. Paper doesn't matter so let them use my regular stuff...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

My 2 you ds LOVES stamps! lol I let him use toy box a couple of months ago scrapped it! (He had VERY close supervision) lol I'm thinking of getting him a couple of the kids pads for his birthday next month and a couple of dollar stamps. He even thinks that the ups man brings everybody stamps.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
I have a question for those of you with children. At what age did/will you let your kids use your stamps to create pictures?

I am thinking of letting my 2 year old loose (supervised) with a single inkpad (that way colors can't get ruined) and a couple of outline stamps where the wooden blocks have been varnished. I am not sure what other precautions I should take.

I think I waited until my DD was about 3 or so until I let her use stamps, and then it was with those foam stamps and I made ink pads out of Crayola washable paint on paper towels. She had a lot of fun. I started her with this and gradually weaned her off of the paints onto washable ink pads. I have yet to find a truly washable ink pad so I felt it important to start her with the washable paints!!

When she turned 4 or so I let her use some wood mount stamps, of course not my SU ones but a bunch of the $1 bin ones of her own - and now she does great, she even does the technique where you stamp, stamp, stamp three times on the ink pad. She has her own stamps and ink pads and I get more for her every holiday.

I didn't do any younger than 3 because of the mouth factor. My kids are very much into putting their hands in their mouths so I waited until they were more out of that phase. I have a 2 year old and can't imagine giving him the stamps/paint pads until another year or so. I let him pretend when his sister is stamping with me by giving him a clean scrubber pad and he pretends that is his ink pad!! Try that out, my DS loves that and feels like part of the crowd. He does have his own crayons but I have to sit with him to make sure he doesn't put them in his mouth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

My daughter has been stamping with ink for a little over a year and a half. She was not quite two when she started. I let her pick what color she wants and I give her a choice of a couple stamps. Sometimes my wood gets stained - but my customers do that too (and so do I occasionally.) She'll only be this little once and I would rather have a little stain on my wood than to not enjoy these moments with her.

Now I will say, when I started stamping she was about 3 months old and I could not imagine allowing her ever to stamp with me. My dear friend, and now upline, always let her dd stamp with her and never sweated it. She'll even tell of the time her dd sat on Real Red in jeans - it all washed out. I realized what a treasured time they were having and it really influenced my time with my kids. My son is 1 and loves to stack my background stamps while we stamp. He'll soon enough join us, I suspect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkymommy
My kids are 6.5, 4, 9mos. The two older ones started stamping as early as 18mos. I finally figured out the trick!!!

Buy Versamark, Chalk & Daubers (or use QTips). The kids stamp on copy paper with Versamark, then daub on chalk. They call it magic stamping. The stamps stay clean, no worries about ink pads being destroyed or getting ink on clothes, etc. I have two sets of chalk, they have yet to break one piece of chalk (amazing!). Chalk washes clean from everything!

Hope that helps.
I might just have to do this with my 20-month old DD. She likes "stamping." I have some non-SU chalks in my craft room that I might let her use.
TYVM for the idea:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

My five year old only uses foam stamps and child-safe ink pads...my 9 yo DS gets to use some of my SU stamps/pads under *very* close supervison! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

When I first got into rubber stamping my son was about 7, and he showed interest in it himself, so I got him a SU set for kids, can't remember the name of it tho, had the bulldozer, backhoe, dump truck and one other stamp in it. he loved it and would stamp for a while with me, clean his stuff and be on his merry way.

now my daughter is another story, she is 12 now and loves to stamp too, she just has the habit of trying to walk away without putting away stuff. She cleans the stamps as she goes but thinks that everything will magically put itself back where she got it from. so if she doesn't pick up her mess then she doesn't get to stamp again for a while. Pretty good system for us so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkymommy

Hope that helps.
Awesome idea!

My SCS gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...00&ppuser=8965
My Webshots gallery: http://client.webshots.com/user/tbenda
Reply With Quote Likes