Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   HOw often do you make your own back ground paper? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-often-do-you-make-your-own-back-ground-paper-545002/)

Inkin One 12-31-2011 08:14 AM

HOw often do you make your own back ground paper?

I have been blog lurking a bit since I came home with a fantastic head cold on Monday ( Merry Christams to me huh?) I am calling it research:)..anyway I have noticed a trend in creating ones own backgrounds..I am loving this! Do you ever make your own backgrounds? If so ..what are some of your favortie stamps and inks to use?

Jennifer R 12-31-2011 08:39 AM

I occasionally do. I really like using the Ranger Distress Inks bc they coordinate nicely and there are a few tones of each colour available.

Cook22 12-31-2011 09:39 AM

Often :D. I love bought papers, but there are so many wonderful techniques for creating your own backgrounds and I have a good collection of background stamps. I tend to use bought DP more when it comes to following sketches, though, because then it's all going to coordinate. Hope you're feeling better soon - colds are miserable. They sound trivial, but their nuisance value is enormous!

pixxiewacorgi 12-31-2011 10:36 AM

I hope you feel better soon!

As for me, a quick way to make your own background if you run out of coordinating pattern papers is to stamp a flourish or script stamp using versamark onto the color of card stock you are using for matting the other panels. I also love the look of making your own backgrounds with several Tim Holtz distress inks. Joan Bardee's blog, Paperlicious, is amazing because she has several projects where she starts off with a white piece of paper, adds her magic touch (and some Tim Holtz inks) and ends up with an amazing card.

Inkin One 12-31-2011 10:40 AM

Thank you for the well wishes! I just wish I wasn't sick while the kids are home on their break..! (Oh and I will be eversohappy if my husband doesn't catch it HAHA)

I have never really made my own backgrounds..but I think I might like to try it. I have some serious phobias of using dp ..so maybe if I make some of my own it will lessen the fear? LOL I need to go watch some videos..

Oh and Joans blog is already in my favs list..she has some amazing backgrounds !

danalangdon 12-31-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin One (Post 19041090)

I have some serious phobias of using dp ..so maybe if I make some of my own it will lessen the fear? LOL I need to go watch some videos..

Are you like me, and just prefer to save & collect dp? :D

Inkin One 12-31-2011 10:51 AM

Yes danalangdon, I prefer to collect..IDK why in the world dp confuses me so much but it does LOL..I always fell like my patterns look stupid together or no one will see how they go together..kwim? I have a terrible time using embellishments and ribbons too..LOL. I guess I am a one layer, CAS kinda gal that loves layers and 2 lb cards deep down LOL..

I am going to try and get over my fear of patterns this year HAHA!

buggainok 12-31-2011 10:54 AM

I love designer/pattern papers and have used them since I first started making cards. It's rare for me to make a card without using dp.

I've only made background papers a couple of times, with polka dots usually, lol.

melissa59 12-31-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin One (Post 19041118)
I guess I am a one layer, CAS kinda gal that loves layers and 2 lb cards deep down LOL.

This is me, too!
I love how others are able to coordinate patterns and colors. But when I do it, it seems like my card is wearing one blue sock and one green with plaid pants and floral blouse.

Cook22 12-31-2011 12:33 PM

I suppose I didn't expand. Any background stamp is good for me, but I especially love to use music stamps, like here: Toot that Flute by Cook22 and here: I Will Sing by Cook22 . I sometimes like to emboss them with clear EP and then add a watercolour wash for a resist technique.

And another type of resist is using a Krylon marker or similar with watercolour/distress re-inkers - like this: ODBDSLC17 Summer Colours by Cook22 -.
Wrinkle-free distress is another wonderful way of creating your own backgrounds - tutorial in Resources. And of course there's Polished Stone, too.

I tried Foxi Oxi recently and loved the results - WT341 Season for School by Cook22 .

cat_woman 12-31-2011 12:42 PM

I make my own patterned papers alot, but I usually make digital papers and print them out. I use to design digital scrapbooking kits, so if I need something specific, then its easier and quicker for me to design it myself rather than hunting through all the pp I already have. I have used stamps a couple times to make background papers, but personally, I'm not too fussy on the look, so I usually go the digi route. Its probably my technique and need more practice.

KatarinaM 12-31-2011 01:13 PM

I love making my own pp's using PTI background building sets like these:
Papertrey Ink - Background Basics: Tin Types Stamp Set
and
Papertrey Ink - Guide Lines Two Stamp Set

On the right hand side of each stamp set image is a link to their gallery using that stamp set. Great resource.

My latest fave background building set is Waltzingmouse's Nordic Winter:
Nordic Winter | Waltzingmouse Stamps
LOVE that set!

I also love Impression Obsession's Cover-a-card collection:
Cover-a-Card Stamps & Mega Mount: Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps

Here are some samples from my gallery using these sets:

Milly's Window by KatarinaM - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
It's Snow Time by KatarinaM - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
CT1210, DDSKETCH1210 Noel by KatarinaM - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I love making my own pp's, I can use my favorite colors and patterns with the techniques I like best.
You should try it!

Barbara Jay 12-31-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59 (Post 19041132)
This is me, too!
I love how others are able to coordinate patterns and colors. But when I do it, it seems like my card is wearing one blue sock and one green with plaid pants and floral blouse.

:D:D This is why I generally make my own background paper .
Plus when I look at a DP pad I find I don't like a lot of it or I have no CS, ink or ribbon to match most of it. It is very expensive per sheet to buy a $10 DP pad and only use 4-5 sheets of it
Making my own background paper is cheaper and easier than hunting for colors I want/need

gram2boyz 12-31-2011 02:27 PM

Rarely. I have so much patterned paper!

StampinGrams 12-31-2011 03:55 PM

When I first started stamping I always made my own pp because PP seemed too costly for me. I have a ton of it now and just seem to hoard it--afraid I will want it more for some other project--I am now on a "use what you have kick" so who knows where that will take me in 2012--I have a ton of background stamps and have always loved them. AND Oh the techniques now available for backgrounds, there is just no end to this hobby/obsession.

SaraBee 01-01-2012 01:48 AM

I create my own backgrounds with distressing inks (which I adore and need MORE of) and stamping over.
I also have some beautiful DP. I usually take a small snip of each - about a 2 inch strip (from the shorter side if A4) and then I can play mixing and matching. With SU this is so much easier.
The gallery on SCS is enormously important to me and I'm slowly learning 'what works' for me.
Brayering is what I want to get to grips with this year.

Inkin One 01-01-2012 08:16 AM

WOW..thanks for all the wonderful examples and ideas..I think I will have to play with some stamps and techniques now..

MariLynn 01-02-2012 11:00 AM

I make mine all the time. My absolutely favorite way to make background paper is the WISH technique with cheap markers and an acetate folder or ziplock baggie. I have a tutorial on my blog Mississippi Mcgyver. I also love to prink sheet music for my backgrounds. I love this site for hymns because they are public domain. No copyright infringement. Timeless Truths.

SophieLaFontaine 01-02-2012 11:39 AM

Nearly all the time, 'cause it's painful for me to cut into lovely patterned paper.

MSBetsyZ 01-02-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine (Post 19046540)
Nearly all the time, 'cause it's painful for me to cut into lovely patterned paper.

LOL, ain't that the truth?!

Long time ago, decorative paper was just for scrapbookers! We always made our own, whether it was stamped paper or large pieces made while playing with techniques like resist or something. After all, if you're going to make a big mess, you might as well make a bunch while all the supplies are out...

I have a friend whose been stamping even longer than me, and she still feels like she's "cheating" somehow by using dsp, lol!

By all means. play to your heart's content! Practice techniques, play with different color combos, etc. It's a great way to get the creative juices slowing!

lharnish 01-03-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaM (Post 19041470)
I also love Impression Obsession's Cover-a-card collection:
Cover-a-Card Stamps & Mega Mount: Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps

I've been going this route quite a bit too and love the Cover a Card stamps. I find it easier to match my cardstock and inks and not have a third option of premade designer paper to have to throw into that mix as well. I do have lots of designer paper and have made a challenge to myself to try and use a good chunk of it before buying anymore (except for Christmas papers). I collected a lot when I first started but find my style tends to be more of a clean and simple style so I don't use a lot of DP in general.

hoptownracer1 01-03-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariLynn (Post 19046430)
I make mine all the time. My absolutely favorite way to make background paper is the WISH technique with cheap markers and an acetate folder or ziplock baggie. I have a tutorial on my blog Mississippi Mcgyver. I also love to prink sheet music for my backgrounds. I love this site for hymns because they are public domain. No copyright infringement. Timeless Truths.

Love that technique! Sometimes you just can't find the perfect paper, so it's cool that you make your own!

lylacfey 01-04-2012 04:44 AM

Mississippi McGyver- You always make the most beautiful items. One of my all time favorite blog creations are your beautiful butterflies. I make them all the time now too.

Back to regularly scheduled topic, :) I love to make my own backgrounds. I love DP too. I just love all paper. I actually don't have a lot of paper. I tend to make my own backgrounds when die cutting or stamping. I tend to use my DP for my altered arts and reconning items.

sc magnolia 01-04-2012 05:16 AM

I make my own backgrounds quite often. It's fun and I like the unique look of something I made. It also allows me to customize the colors. I like using dye inks and glossy paper, alcohol inks, stipple brushes etc. One I like to make for more rustic cards; wrinkling regular printing paper then smoothing it back out, followed by rubbing the raised wrinkles with dye ink.

There are a lot of techniques in the resource section on SCS.