Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places to sell used/destash stamp and craft supplies?

I just moved, and we will be moving within a year to a newer house, so I NEED to destash and get rid of tons and tons of stamping and craft supplies. I've done a couple of garage sales, and just couldn't move much, even at garage sale prices. Ordinary folks just don't have a need for punches and rubber stamps, LOL.

So I finally spent most of a day making a post for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, included links to everything, worked out pricing, etc. That list was for ONE box, and I have dozens of other boxes in my stash! There's way too much to list in one post. Plus, after 2 days and only one person contacting me, I'm kind of disappointed in that forum.

Someone mentioned that there are facebook groups for buying/selling supplies. I don't even know how to search for that. Can anyone give me the name(s) of any such Facebook groups? (or other online methods of buy/sell/trade).

I'm trying to avoid eBay, because I just don't think I have that kind of time to list a gazillion auctions. And I know I can't use the B/S/T forum here if I do that.

Thanks for the feedback.
Terri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might try your local Craigslist. I haven't done that, but I've seen people post who have had luck with it.

I've bought a couple of used cars on Craigslist for younger relatives and been pleased. You can set up a meeting in a safe, neutral place, like a Walmart parking lot or a convenience store. I would not want a stranger from Craigslist coming to my home though.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

See if this link will work. You will have to ask to join and make sure to read the rules. They limit the number of sellers during the month but there are a lot of buyers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/384633068314625/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You might try your local Craigslist. I haven't done that, but I've seen people post who have had luck with it.

I've bought a couple of used cars on Craigslist for younger relatives and been pleased. You can set up a meeting in a safe, neutral place, like a Walmart parking lot or a convenience store. I would not want a stranger from Craigslist coming to my home though.
Where I live people meet Craigslist buyers and sellers at the Police Station Parking lot . A person with sinister intentions would never meet you at a Police station
I don't think there is much interest in pre-owned paper crafting items. Those who want to buy things usually want to pay a couple of dollars for things that are expensive on e-Bay.

I purged things I no longer use and gave them to the Good Will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Craigslist. I found an ad for SU products in a lady's home and bought $60 of items she had. They were all laid out in her dining room. She said that she thought stamping people would probably be safe to let in her home, and her husband was at home, too. Maybe you could lay out your items on tables in garage and only let them in that area.
It is a specific hobby and not very many at a garage sale are interested. Ebay is a big hassle. I forget to search the BST section at SCS! Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I think you may have a timing problem. A lot of people just spent their allowance on black friday sales-which they might have been waiting to have come up too, if you started before that. Plus right now people have to deal with holiday gifts, meals, expenses. Even the mfg sales have dwindled to a trickle right now.

You can use Craigslist to announce a special craft sale and then run it like a garage sale. That way you pull people specifically interested. I have done that. B/c you have a lot of NIP, you could also say good gift opportunity. If you have an LSS they MIGHT be willing to post a flyer for that sale for you. Esp if you are selling mfgs they dont carry.

Do you have stamp groups around? Maybe thru a church or community center? You could reach out to them. Or post flyers on their boards anyway and the supermarket for your sale day.

I buy used stamps. I dont agree people dont want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

I have a local scrapbook store that has "garage sales" every other month. You might check out something like that.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I don't sell, but have bought from the Scrappy Resale Room on Facebook. They have picky rules, but do seem to move a lot of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can sell stuff in lots on Ebay if that would work for you. I will go look for your stuff on buy/sell/trade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I think you may have a timing problem. A lot of people just spent their allowance on black friday sales-which they might have been waiting to have come up too, if you started before that. Plus right now people have to deal with holiday gifts, meals, expenses. Even the mfg sales have dwindled to a trickle right now.

You can use Craigslist to announce a special craft sale and then run it like a garage sale. That way you pull people specifically interested. I have done that. B/c you have a lot of NIP, you could also say good gift opportunity. If you have an LSS they MIGHT be willing to post a flyer for that sale for you. Esp if you are selling mfgs they dont carry.

Do you have stamp groups around? Maybe thru a church or community center? You could reach out to them. Or post flyers on their boards anyway and the supermarket for your sale day.

I buy used stamps. I dont agree people dont want them.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I think you are right about timing. There were several great ideas posted. Sadly, our local scrapbook store went out of business a few years ago, and she did "garage sales" like someone mentioned. Just one of MANY reasons I truly miss her. I do like the idea of advertising a "craft yard sale" on Craigslist, to aim for the people who are looking for craft stuff. If I ever do go with eBay, it will certainly be for "lots", I know that's one thing I can barely resist, LOL. I've already donated quite a bit of my older stuff to local schools/teachers, Goodwill, a nursing home, and a couple of young women "just starting out", with very limited craft budgets. I'll probably donate a lot more; but even if I can't get money for it, I really want it to end up with someone who will use it, rather than end up in someone else's garbage.

Thanks again for all the great feedback
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 04:53 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is something I keep in mind when I'm trying to sell supplies.

I visit the B/S/T thread and look to see what is for sale - but I find that people are listing 1) retail prices at the mfg web site (I never pay retail prices!), then drop the price of their used item by $1.00 from #1. By the time I add on freight charges... it's no longer a good deal. I don't check this thread any more to see what is for sale.

Price your items like you want to sell them this week, not like you are setting up a store front on that thread. Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Pricing

Yes, I've seen that pattern of pricing too (near full retail), particulary on Stampin Up products. Believe me, I paid a lot more for all the products I listed than I would ever expect to get back, and besides, why would someone pay retail or near-retail prices for Unity stamps, when they could just go to the website and get most of them for that price (they don't retire things very often). They have sales, which are pretty good, so no way I could expect anyone would pay near or full-retail price, even though they are not used. And being unsure of the demand of Unity stamps, I may have overestimated what people would pay. I figured about half-price, but I guess that was still a little high. Which is why I readjusted the pricing, and now some are selling :-).

But you should check the forum occasionally, because there are the occasional "giving it away" (or practically) type posts. If I ever do list SU stuff on the B/S/T, I know it will have to be at "giveaway" prices (with the possible exception of consumables, e.g. ribbon, reinkers, DSP). The ladies here already have an ample supply of most SU products ;).
Thanks for the input,
Terri

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
This is something I keep in mind when I'm trying to sell supplies.

I visit the B/S/T thread and look to see what is for sale - but I find that people are listing 1) retail prices at the mfg web site (I never pay retail prices!), then drop the price of their used item by $1.00 from #1. By the time I add on freight charges... it's no longer a good deal. I don't check this thread any more to see what is for sale.

Price your items like you want to sell them this week, not like you are setting up a store front on that thread. Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,166 Likes on 499 Posts

you sell them scs too! Can't wait your listed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnterriView Post
Yes, I've seen that pattern of pricing too (near full retail), particulary on Stampin Up products. Believe me, I paid a lot more for all the products I listed than I would ever expect to get back, and besides, why would someone pay retail or near-retail prices for Unity stamps, when they could just go to the website and get most of them for that price (they don't retire things very often). They have sales, which are pretty good, so no way I could expect anyone would pay near or full-retail price, even though they are not used.
I missed that your stuff was new at first glance! So I'm happy with my purchase Everything five dollars and under seems to get a lot of attention, no matter what the original retail was. And I've seen plenty of people list and relist items in the B/S/T forum and continue to get sales that way, so it might just take a little time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I think 1/2 price on large sets of stamps new in package is not unreasonable. Sets are usually a bargain to begin with if you have a lot of stamps in it. Once you ink it, it's like a car leaving the lot...value drops steeply.

I personally LOVE that you have pictures. Makes a huge to me as a buyer. Unfortunately I already have a lot of Unity. I am waiting to see what else you have.

It is a good point that I have seen posts have to get re-done or bumped a lot over a period of time. The good thing is that SCS does not charge to list. Keep in mind, I *think* there are 178,000 people registered here...that's a big audience but they are not all here at the same time. Have to be patient. After Christmas could be even slower for a couple months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Donating

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
Um. There's always getting paid in good karma by donating. So many kids, hospital and elder non-profits desperately need art and craft supplies. Schools are another place to donate but they are usually more picky. I know, cash is a good thing when moving, but so is time freed up from all those mailings and money transfers. Just a thought.
Yes, I agree, especially about the time involved in selling. And who doesn't need more good Karma, right? As I mentioned above, I have donated supplies to teachers, nursing homes, Goodwill, etc (stuff they could use: cardstock and other scrapbooking and craft supplies; and a huge drawer unit with 400+ punches to an elementary school teacher). We made tons of trips to Goodwill during the move, with books, clothes, beanie babies, etc. Suprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly), those places really aren't interested in Stampin Up stamps ;). So that's why I was asking about other places, like SCS, where you would find the exact people who might be interested in that stuff.
Thanks for your input,
Terri
Reply With Quote Likes