Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
My design process is a mix. I'm rusty starting out, so I like to begin with a sketch or color challenge, the hardest design components for me. As I get deeper into my crafting session, it's easier to come up with my own designs. I LOVE the challenges here on SCS and I also enjoy a magazine called Scrapbook & Cards Today. The magazine has wonderful ideas and a section of PageMaps and CardMaps that I use frequently.

So glad you mentioned this magazine! I thought Rubber Stamp Madness was the only one left. I just subscribed to Scrapbook & Cards Today, which seems like a totally different style so I should have loads of inspiration swirling around! I use and enjoy pinterest, but I love the portability of magazines and the fact that I can use them when our crummy rural internet is not working.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I thought I'd throw a thought out into the discussion. I have some pictures of cards from catalogs that I thought were idea-generators for me that are stacked in a small box. Lately I have been pulling a couple of them out (whatever might strike my fancy...or just a random one) and then making a card inspired by one or the other. I don't usually have the exact stamps or whatever, but I take my style and my stamps and make something similar. I get cards done this way and I don't agonize over what to make. My cards don't take anywhere near as long this way.

I love to do this, too. I get to enjoy the magazine/catalog again as I look thru and stick post-its on the pages with ideas I want to try. Then I leave it on my desk for when I need a quick bit of inspiration. Right now I'm using some that are 15 years old! I have fun putting my own spin on things using different/newer supplies and then pass the magazine on to others in my stamp group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes 2 hours or more for me to make a special card completely suited to a loved one. I once timed making a very simple black and white card assembly line method so I could really cut the time down as much as possible. It took more than 15 minutes per card. I seldom do simple cards so I believe 30 to 45 minutes is average for me to make a routine card that isn't special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can take me anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks! I find it just depends on my memory..."Oh no, it's sisters b'day", card is ready to mail the next day! Christmas takes me the longest because I start abut 6-8 weeks ahead and mail maybe 2 weeks before Xmas. If I have a large project like when I made my daughters baby shower invitations it took me over a month. Whew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 04:15 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't think I have ever made a card in less than an hour. That being said, it most often takes me many hours sometimes over several days. I stamp birthday cards for a month by theme. (ie November was mums/Thanksgiving was deer and December is perfume/pocket knives/Christmas snowflakes). Therefore I look through all my ideas for those themes and use them to spur the actual card. I rarely make two cards alike---unless I am really pleased with one that is not too time consuming and I need a thinking of you or other occasion for my stash that would be appropriate. I love techniques and I try to use as many as possible for the different cards. I also teach a technique class every month, so need samples for that. In that case, I use the same technique in as many different cards as possible. The only time limits I have is to have the cards done by the time they go out, but I'm always working 1 to 2 months ahead and have cards for other occasions in my stash, so rarely, if ever, have an immediate deadline for a specific card. That way I can enjoy working as I absolutely love the process, am retired and don't care if I take days to get a card done, or end up playing with a technique until it pleases me. Since the theme drives my card making, it cuts down on much of the thought process. As many, I've had those cards that take on a mind of their own and come out way different than intended, but if I'm happy with it, great. I have agonized over the card that does come out as imagined and I look at it knowing it is not quite right, needs something, or I just don't like it. If I can't get it to my liking, it gets set aside for another time or trashed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About an hour. With that being said I tent to CASE designs. Of course they are not exact but I think it goes quicker when you are following a pre-made design.

There are some sketches that are Imprinted in my brain that make it easy to just create without a case.
Reply With Quote Likes