Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Default How much have you grown as a crafter?

I spoke about this a bit on the demo side but I'm curious what all of you cringe about when you look back at some of your first paper crafts. Shelly shared her 1st card with us at Regionals last year. It was zero layers with a rocking horse stamped in a rainbow pad on white. Completely simple but we all took that step where we had the "this is really fun moment" even if we didn't quite know what we were doing yet. I will share mine first:

My first attempt at scrapping back in 97 was a product of what JanTink said best "the Sticker Sneeze". I went a little sticker happy and had zero journaling. there isn't even any matting or patterned paper but I was smart enough to use clear corner mounts so I can pull those suckers off and start again!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

It's funny that you brought up this subject as I was just talking about it to my best stamping friend. I just got some of those plastic card holders and was putting cards from my stash in it and I realized how many just awful cards I had. They were from when I first started cardmaking and I thought they were so wonderful. NOT!

I'm weeding them out and think I'll take them to a local nursing home for residents to use if they want them. Not only have my skills grown a lot, my taste has changed and my expectations of what is a good card are very high.

I think it is a natural progression with any hobby or skill, you get better and better the more you do and your first efforts, although they impressed you at the time, later look pretty pathetic.

Also, since finding SU, I find I hardly access the tons of junk I bought when I started like stickers and other embellishments. Things change!!!

Margaret
Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

My rubber stamping/card making technique has improved a bunch in my opinion, although my early tries weren't really all that bad. I would still send them out today. My techniques have improved like my watercoloring with inks is much better (I had only ever watercolored with watercolor paints before). My scrapbooking is so much better but still not where I want it to be. I still spend way too much time trying to get everything "perfect". My attempts are better now (faster and much less analyzing) but they also don't have that floating elements "sticker sneeze" look to them. I'm still way too slow with the scrapbook pages but they look better. My comfort zone is still with my cardmaking which I'm pretty proud of.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My first card was for Christmas using the Snow Globe set. I had taken a folded piece of white CS and stamped the globe in the middle, then cut out the center so I could put a piece of sticky plastic across it and rub glitter over the adhesive like my demo had done at the last workshop I'd attended. I stamped the little snowflake stamp all over the front in Brilliant Blue (the only color I had -- my demo gave it to me for having a $300 workshop) and also used Itty Bitty Backgrounds in Ultramarine StazOn to look like snow on the plastic. Put another quarter-sheet with the little snowman on it behind the window, and sponged Brilliant Blue all around the edges of the card. I was so proud of that card, but I cringe now. My boyfriend (now fiance) has kept all the cards I ever sent him, and when I went up to DC to go to a concert with him last year he pulled them out to show me. I was touched that he kept them all, but at the same time was terribly embarrassed at how bad that first card was! He didn't mind at all, which was incredibly sweet of him.

Come to think of it, I have a pic of that card somewhere on my computer!
Attached Thumbnails
How much have you grown as a crafter?-100_9174.jpg  

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, unfortunately, my backside has grown tremendously!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
My first card was for Christmas using the Snow Globe set.....was terribly embarrassed at how bad that first card was!
This was your FIRST card?! Wow. I'd have been thrilled with it as a first effort and still proud of it for that reason! Yes, we all improve, but there is nothing to be embarrassed about with this card. Mine was more along the lines of the one Shelli described as her first, lol.

My Gallery
Old 08-22-2006, 07:07 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, my! I've grown lots! When I look at some of my old set samplers I'm amazed how far I've come. I've tried and taught so many techniques that I didn't even know existed then. (I've been stamping for more than 9 years and been an SU! demo for more than 6.) I've also learned that simplicity can be really good.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

My first cards were SO bad! And...I even gave them away as Xmas presents! *cringe*!

My first SB pages were worse! They were CM style (no offense to CM lovers...) they had that awful gingham paper with metallic gross stickers. Really bad!

Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Rachel (Row4d),
I think that's really pretty good for a first effort! You used tecniques that not many new stampers would attempt.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Rachel (Row4d),
I think that's really pretty good for a first effort! You tried things that most new stampers woulnd't have attempted.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry for the double post! The system said my first one didn't go through. Arrrgggh! I want an edit button![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by speale
My first SB pages were worse! They were CM style (no offense to CM lovers...) they had that awful gingham paper with metallic gross stickers. Really bad!
HA HA HA!! I can relate! I hate that CM gingham paper and I'm so happy that their products have evolved somewhat in recent years. But you sure can tell the scrappers who started with CM! All that gingham! I like the CM style, but I do not like that strip/triangle and gingham. Thank God it's different now.

The one good thing is at least you got STARTED with scrapping and now you (and me, and others, I'm sure) have developed our own style and most importantly, are preserving our memories/photos. That's the good that has come out of all that gingham! (at least for me!).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought that my first cards were terrible. Then again, I am horribly critical of myself and I joined the fan club right off the bat and was comparing my crap to their prettiness!

I see alot of cards in the gallery that I adore, so I look at those for inspiration and grow from there....so I feel that my cards have improved a marked amount. The challenges help alot too!
Faerey Blog
Old 08-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

My first cards were not horrible. I layered, embossed, used the pastels.
The only problem was I was using WAY too many colors!!!! And I ONLY EVER stamped images in BLACK, then colored them in...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

When I first started making cards, I would make 2 of everything and give one to my mom. I went thru her card box the other day when I was over at her house and was pulling cards out left and right. THey were horrible and I couldn't believe that she was still going to give them to people. SCS is great because you can browse thru galleries and get inspiration from all the great cards!! Thank goodness, cause I think I might still be making cards that had one layer and about 15 different colors. LOL
Old 08-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't remember my first card exactly, but I did come across a mother's day card I had made, and oh my goodness! It was a piece of orchid opulence CS, a glossy circle tag with some purple (non SU) organdy ribbon tied horribly to the top, Happy Mother's Day was written in marker on the tag, placed in the middle slanted somewhere. There was a small background stamp on there somewhere too. It was frightening, and somewhat embarrassing. I am more more pleased with my present day creations.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
Rachel (Row4d),
I think that's really pretty good for a first effort! You tried things that most new stampers woulnd't have attempted.
Awww, you ladies are so sweet. We're always our own worst critics, right? I've loved crafts for as long as I can remember, though, so I was an easy mark for getting hooked on stamping.

I had an awesome demo (heck, I signed up to be her downline last year!) and really wanted to recreate what she'd shown us. I think I even sent her one of those snow globe cards that year, LOL! Of course, being the gracious lady that she is she just encouraged me further.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

When I first started making cards, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was monochromatic. Periodically I would toss a neutral into the mix! Thank heaven for the color challenges here and the Color Coach. Without them, I don't know where I would be!
Also, I've noticed that my tastes have changed. I used to buy the stamps and make the cards that were "cutesy and popular." Now I look at some of my stamp sets or some of my old card designs and think "YUCK!" I guess what I'm saying is that I have learned to follow my own tastes and ideas and not just "do what everyone else is doing." Think outside the box!!!