Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default How much do you charge for hand stamped cards?

I am going to be working at a craft fair and selling some of my hand stamped cards. (Of course the angel policy will be adhered to.) How much do you usually charge for each card and/or a set of cards?

Can you think of any other stamped items that would be fairly easy to make and good sellers?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I put $1 on mine, and didn't sell any until the last minute. Then a lady ordered 8 more of them!
I just did a few small items for the craft fair. Not to earn a bunch of money. Just to show people what you can do with stamps. I made bookmarks, small post it note holders that could fit in your purse, and cards. I wanna say I made about $20, and got a new scrapbooker coming to my monthly crop. I was happy.
What do you want to get out of the craft fair? That might help you determine what to do.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I do multiple craft fairs and try not to have less than 200 items to sell at each one. I sell my cards for $1.50 each, $2.00 if they're fancy or have Hodgepodge, embossing, etc. I always sell at least half my stock.

The only way you can make good money at craft fairs is by pricing your items low. So if you're the type that it takes an hour to make a single card, don't do it. I'm a quick stamper and I mass-produce my best sellers.

The proof is in the pudding--you won't know until you try what will fly in your area. Lots of people think my prices are ridiculously low--but I sell tons, and they go home with almost everything they brought. I know which way I think is better!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

mass-produce my best sellers.
That's the key! I agree - don't sell the cards you spend an hour to make. Your time is very valuable and they would be priced way too low.

Also, just don't give up if you really want to do craft fairs. I only did 2 and gave up because I just wasn't in to it. But it's true what they say - you could get have an excellent traffic flow at your table at this fair, and only have a hand full of visitors at the next one. You just never know....

Good luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have never done a craft fair, but my sister sells my cards to her book club ladies as well as her co-workers. I charge $3.00 per card and $2.75 if they order 10 or more. I sold lots during the Valentine's season, and am stocking up on Mother's day cards!

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I sell mine for $2.50 each or 5 for $10. I do embellishments, etc, also put them in clear envelopes so they won't get dirty. I do lots of collage items with those beautiful papers out there. I sold quite a lot of clipboards last year together with Xmas pins made out of heavy chipboard, stamped, colored, embossed, etc. There are so many neat ideas you can sell! At this one particular show I also end up with orders for cards. You never know what will sell! Just have a good variety.

I am a proud design team member for http://www.sparklensprinkle.com/
Old 02-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

$1.50 (single layer, no embellishments, nothing but ink) to $4.50 depending on the amount of work and the amount of supplies.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

hmm this is interesting.. i was also thinking about selling too..nice to know what others are doing
Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have sold stuff at craft fairs for the last 2 years and have been quite successful! ( I earn the money to buy DH Christmas gifts with money HE didn't earn) I charged $2/card or $15 for a box of 10. I also sell pre-made Paper-bag albums, altered gift boxes with matching cards, goodie bags with hand made toppers. My favorite this past Christmas was a pair of those $1 gloves with a topper on it that was decorated and had the sentiment "warmest Holiday Wishes". There are plenty of things you can make that have that 'homemade' feel that people love. I make sure to abide by any Angel policies as well. I agree with GWTW Junkie to keep your prices low, just try to make a little more than you spent. You don't really get paid for your time. It's fun and it feels great when someone actually gives you money for something you made!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana jenkins
I sell mine for $2.50 each or 5 for $10. I do embellishments, etc, also put them in clear envelopes so they won't get dirty. I do lots of collage items with those beautiful papers out there. I sold quite a lot of clipboards last year together with Xmas pins made out of heavy chipboard, stamped, colored, embossed, etc. There are so many neat ideas you can sell! At this one particular show I also end up with orders for cards. You never know what will sell! Just have a good variety.
What kind of clear envelopes do you use and where can I find them?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I (and a few of my friends) do the boutique @ our church each year. We charge $2.50 per card, and they come with matching envelopes and are in clear cello bags as well so they stay nice while people riffle through them. I've found that people don't like the cards when there is no matching regular envelope and they are just in a clear envelope. There was a lady in our church who donated some cards to our booth (we didn't know she was doing it or would have brought regular envelopes with us) and people would look @ her cards but were totally confused by the clear envelope and didn't want to have to get a label to put on it, or do any extra work to make it sendable. KWIM?

Some of our cards have more work involved and some have less, but they are all $2.50. It just makes it easier. I also made a few of those nugget boxes in holiday theme so that people could buy them for their kid's teachers and those all sold out RIGHT away $2.50 each as well. (And they only had 4 nuggets each!) One of my friend's made the "star albums" and she sold them for $10 each and she sold 18 of them. We always borrow a rotating card rack from Pearl Art Craft/Supply to display our cards. I think because it's a church boutique they are super generous, because they know that the profit isn't for us. This year they even emptied out one that was on the floor for us! Last year they had an empty one in the back. It really makes the cards display nicer and more organized. It's easier for people to look @ them by spinning a rack vs. flipping through baskets. We also display them on coiled wires that are stuck into pots of birdseed so they are fanned out to see them more easily as well.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:10 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, new here so hope you don't mind me asking... what is the angel policy? I don't sell my cards, but maybe in the future (especially around Christmas).

Thanks for your help!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Old 02-20-2007, 05:26 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I sell my cards for $2.50 a card or 5/$10 and sold quite a few.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I've sold my cards at a few craft fairs and with friends, family & co workers. I always sell them for $2.50 per card and matching envelope and don't discount them. I figure that I spend enough time on them and some have expensive embellishments. At Christmas time I sold about 120 in about 20 minutes. People don't complain at all. At the craft fairs, I have a basket that I sell my cards that I hate, but don't want to throw away for .50 each. This is great for the kids. They love them. Also, one last note, don't sell cards at an outdoor craft fair when it's raining. lololol... We were under a tarp but the paper started to curl.. We also sold mini albums, and little boxes that pulled out to make accordian albums.

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19
OK, new here so hope you don't mind me asking... what is the angel policy? I don't sell my cards, but maybe in the future (especially around Christmas).

Thanks for your help!
Angel Policy is something stampin' up has to allow you to sell your cards and not violate any copyright laws. There are some stamps (on page 189) in the catalog that you just stamp on the back of the things you are selling.
Project 365 blog
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting how something that is hand made is less valuable in the market that items mass produced. There was a blurb in the Home and Garden section of our paper Sunday talking about a set of cards from a store called Papyrus? I think? that came in a box. The boxed set of six cards was $30. And here you ladies are selling your beautiful things for $2.50 or less, wow. If you make money, that's great, just sayin' . . .
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I sell my cards for $3 or 4/$10. Unless there is intricate detail or expensive embellishments, then it is up to $5 per card. Last craft fair I did was my first time in that show. I sold 180 cards and several altered domino jewelry items that started at $18 and went up to $35 depending on materials. I made several hundred dollars. Next show I will have $1-$2 items...they sell like CRAZY! Think stocking stuffers, repackaged candy like bag toppers, snowman soup, and nugget boxes, raindeer food, little things that you give a creative twist should sell well!
Good Luck!
Inky Hugs
Risa
Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

PS--don't bother with outdoor Farmer's Markets.... same deal with the rain/humidity ruining your products. I gave it a good shot last summer but it was NOT worth it. Some days I only made the table fee back.