Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #41  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go unmounted a few weeks ago. I'm not going to go back and un mount my current stamps, but will from now on. I was convinced after getting alot of other stamp co's um's and seeing how easy they are to use and store. To bad SU is missing out on this. I would buy alot more stamps from them if they were um.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvinson
Well said and I agree 100%!!
I agree too! (Don't like acrylic). The quality of the image is just not up to par with rubber. I also don't want to be mounting and unmounting everytime I want to make a card. I'll just have to get a bigger house!

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

My stamps are not acrylics either. I just un-mount my rubber stamps!

I do not use EZ mount or cling either. I have not had a problem stamping without it! If I feel I need padding, I use a couple of sheets of paper or some fun foam.

I store them in envies in a photo box. This takes up so much less room, and i don't have to mess with all the plastic cases or dust them.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails
How many ladies are switching over to acrylic blocks.or have already done it.for spac-unmounted-stamps-002.jpg  

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #44  
Glitter Guru

A lot of my new SU sets I haven't bothered to mount. I just put a piece of Scotch Poster Tape (removeable) on one of my clear acrylic blocks, then I put the trimmed SU stamp on the block. I don't bother to peel off the paper backing to expose the sticky on the back of the stamp. I hate having to mount and unmount them and I still have them in the SU box with the wooden blocks. I get the ease of lining up images without the Stamp-a-ma-jig, but I haven't done anything to the resale value of the set because they haven't been mounted to anything yet, and the blocks are still in great condition. I don't do this with all my SU sets. Most of them I still just mount on the wood blocks, but those that really need the Stamp-a-ma-jig to get things really lined up I've been keeping unmounted. Works great but doesn't really address my lack of space issue because I keep SU in the original SU box with the blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

I understand the issue of the cases and the blocks for re-sale.

I made that choice when I started to un-mount my stamps. There are certain sets I will not part with and if I do, there seems to be no problem with selling Un-mounted stamps I've seen.

Cases I can buy from www.StampMagick.com and I quit putting the labels on my envies and save them inside with the bare stamps.

It is just a commitment you make or you don't.

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Remember that non all unmounteds are acrylic. Many of us UM-fans do not use acrylic stamps at all.
That's what I was going to say. All of my stamps are unmounted (except for 4 SU sets I have on ebay and hopefully sell tonight) and I don't own a single clear "acrylic" stamp - they're all rubber with EZ Mount (Creative Cling) cushion. LOOOOOVE it! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

TAC creative cling is 8 x 10" is $5.00
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsouthall
Do you know the price of the TAC ezmount sheets? And the size?

Marian
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

It's THE ANGEL COMPANY you can take a lokk at my website...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homemommie
what is TAC?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saints
I love my stamps on wood blocks. I like that I don't have to mount and unmount the stamps all the time. Yes, space is an issue for me. If SU changes to acyrlic, I don't think I would buy from them anymore. I am not a fan of the way the acrylic stamps, stamps. Sorry just my 2 cents.
I feel the same way. I love the wood for some reason. I have only used Acyrlic a couple times & didn't like it. They slid all over the block when I tried to clean them & it was a pain. I do like the storage option. I don't think putting my SU stamps on clear blocks would help with seeing the image though since I can't see through the rubber. So mine will stay on blocks & I will continue to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carebear530
I don't think putting my SU stamps on clear blocks would help with seeing the image though since I can't see through the rubber. So mine will stay on blocks & I will continue to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig thing.
I have to say that this was one of my main concerns as well, because I am seriously addicted to the stampamajig. (I am not the type of girl that can make things intentionally crooked and have it look cute - it just always looks crooked to me!) However, I've been using Paper Salon's rubber stamps that come mounted on cling, and I have found that since the stamps come die-cut closely, it's not an issue at all. I stamped 4 cards and 2 tags today and did not use the stampamajig once! That is a stinkin' miracle to me.

I was also concerned about the time issue with sticking the stamp on a block, pulling it off and sticking another one on, etc. To me, that hasn't been an issue, either. I'm saving so much time not using my stampamajig that the few seconds spent doing this are not a problem.

Just wanted to share my experiences. I've been very hesitant to switch over, but I'm becoming more and more convinced. My advice to anyone considering going unmounted would be to simply buy one small acrylic block and mount ONE set on graffix (leave the stamp on the foam and stick the foam to the graffix). Save the box and blocks. See how you like using the stamps. If you don't like it, take some strong adhesive, spread it on the grafix, and glue the stamp back on the block. Voila - it's as good as new and you've literally lost nothing except the few dollars you spent on the graffix and a block. That's a pretty small investment of time and money in something that could make your mind up either way for good.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_witty
My advice to anyone considering going unmounted would be to simply buy one small acrylic block and mount ONE set on graffix (leave the stamp on the foam and stick the foam to the graffix). Save the box and blocks. See how you like using the stamps. If you don't like it, take some strong adhesive, spread it on the grafix, and glue the stamp back on the block. Voila - it's as good as new and you've literally lost nothing except the few dollars you spent on the graffix and a block. That's a pretty small investment of time and money in something that could make your mind up either way for good.
GREAT ADVICE!!! Although I *love* having all of mine unmounted, someone else may hate it. After all, there actually are people who hate Spaghettios... imagine that!!!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

My 2 cents worth - I love SU wood blocks and hate the acrylic. Too much hassle taking them off and on. However, I can certainly appreciate how everyone is saying they are running out of room for storage....

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

When I say switching over to acrylic blocks,That all that means.I mean still buying Su stamps with rubber and peeling it off to only mount onto acrylic blocks.

I didn't neccesarily mean to acrylic stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #54  
Glitter Guru

whats the hassle about taking a stamp out of a container to mount onto a block that is clear see thru,and no staining on your blocks after.I don't see how people think this 2 seconds doing this is so much of an inconveniance to them.thats all it takes, nothing more than that.Plus it saves more space for us to buy even more stamps.

I know you can't see thru the rubber but you can see thru a block which helps make line things up much easier than a block that isn't see thru.

I think SU should really think about this and consider this an option for people.they are not losing money by doing this they are saving money in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

My dd (8 yrs) and I spent about 2 hrs last night UM our cheaper stamps (House mouse and various walmart stamps) and WOW I can already see a HUGE difference in space (not to meniton WEIGHT) I threw away a whole walmart bag of just trimmed rubber and foam backing!

Also I am now convinced that not all stamps are the same! You could REALLY tell a difference once you had the rubber alone in your hand! The stamps from walmart felt almost brittle, and they werent even that old. Also the house mouse stamps practically fell apart from the foam and the block (that actually made it easy LOL BUT I wonder if they would have fallen apart from frequent stamping kwim) the rubber of those actually felt ok though , not at all like the WM stamps.

We still have a LONG way to go! but wanted to get a jump start on the UM so that we will be ready to assemble when the EZ mount gets here (should be mon or tue)

I'm excited!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

When your EZ mount comes I have a suggestion. I wish I had put a little bandaid just to the left and above the middle knuckle on the index finger. I now have a nasty huge callous there from the scissors over days of doing this project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for starting this thread - I'm definitely following it. I'm still up in the air about wood vs. acrylic (all I have is wood, but I have thousands of those); however, the idea of saving space intrigues me. Linda
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

What size acrylic blocks do you buy & from where???

Thanks Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

I have bought them randomly here and there, but was so intrigued with the acrylic cubes at Inky Antics online that I bought a set of those this morning. The price cannot be beat and the theory is that you can put a stamp on each side and have many going at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

One of the best places to look at the acrylic blocks to purchase is
www.sundayint.com

They have every size you could ever want! They have starter sets also.

Cut out a few pieces of paper for *play* blocks. 1 x 1, 2 x 2, 3 x 3 and 3 x 4
maybe a 2 x 3 (get the idea) and place some of your unmounted stamps on these. It will give you a good idea the the actual size of blocks you need and will use! Allow one bigger like a 3 x 4 to place 2-3 stamps on to use at one time.

I also have a couple of what they call *grid* blocks. They are a bit more pricey, but they can make you stamp a straight line and are worth there weight in $$$. I also took a couple of my larger blocks and with a fine sharpie, added my own grid lines for reference.

When you are placing your rubber onto the acrylic block, you can use the grid lines for referrence and then you will *see* where you are placing it on your paper.

I still have too many sets on wood blocks, but that will change as I get around to it, but have at least 1000+ images unmounted!

HTH

Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #61  
Glitter Guru

I've been stamping for 10+ years and have 500+ SU sets and about another 1,500 single image stamps. While I do have space issues in my workshop; I personally really do not like working with unmounted stamps. I have some unmounted TAC stamps - I love the images but do use them often because of the inconvenience. Not sure why I dislike the unmounted so much - it's not the hard to take a minute to mount onto the acrylic block - but I just don't like them!
Web-site:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unmounted all of my stamps and I love it this way! It is so nice for storage purposes and I love being able to see where I am stamping. If I ever buy wood mounted stamps, the first thing I do is unmount them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #63  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have NOT unmounted any of the wood mounted stamps that I already have. But I prefer purchasing rubber only and I have not mounted my new sets on the wood they supplied. I don't like having two kinds of stamps -- but I have way too many wood mounted to spend the time to unmount all of them
I do NOT use easy mount. I prefer to use Aileen's Tac it Over and Over and acrylic blocks. SO easy. And I can get a full SU set in one CD case. I love the new system, really saves space.
And Money !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Lisa-
You can buy them at my website
I recomend starting with a 2x2, a 3x3 and a long one like maybe 2x61/2 (great for alphabets)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

I used to think stamps with acrylic blocks would be cumbersome, but it's really not. I unmounted all my stamps (the ones I decided to keep) last month and put them on EZ Mount. It took 23 CD cases and 5 stamp storage boards for the big stamps. It has saved me sooooooo much space!!!!! I have a good size collection of blocks, too, so I don't have to switch stamps a lot. Even with that investment it's cheaper than wood mounted stamps. Now that I'm unmounted I would never go back to wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #66  
Glitter Guru

Ladies it takes but 2 seconds to take your unmounted stamps from the cd case and place right on the acrylic block.that's it.you ink ,stamp and clean the same way,then when you are done,you simply peel it off the block and put right back n the cd case.
\Besides you never have to worry about staning ever again.so all of you ladies who are not so sure about going this way.you have to try it first,It really does save so much space.and you can fit so many stamps on 1 8 1/2 x 11 ezmount foam sheet.I can't believe how many stamps I have mounted on 1 sheet alone.it's amazing that part takes time but the results are much better once your done.then when you get your new stamps.you just peel of the backing no need to microwave them first since there not mounted on wood ,Unlees if they are then your talking 15 seconds in the microwave and peel off.

I bought my blocks from close to my heart and love thier blocks they have rounded edges that won't hurt your fingers when your stamping with them.You don't need all the blocks only certain sizes.it's worth the investment.I have 5 blocks that I use and I might have spend about,$60.00 total.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #67  
Mad Swapper

Smile

I'm in the process of unmounting all my stamps SU included. The space issue is HUGE but so is the placement for the 2-step stamps!! what a MAJOR difference it has made in my stamping - am using the TIOO method and putting in CD cases as suggested in another thread. no regrets!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

I agree that it is amazing how many sets you can get on one sheet of EZ mount or Grafix. I used much, much less of this stuff than I thought I would. I even saved the little scraps in an envelope and they are perfect for teensy stamps. My whole set of acrylic blocks cost me $8.95 (for 5) and then I bought a big background one that I totally don't need. I have bought a couple of others because I wanted some gridded ones. Inky Antics has blocks at a very, very good price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #69  
Crimping Master

I don't remember which store it was, Michaels or Joannes, but they have clear blocks with a grid line. Walmart also had one. I started out with a 4x3 and it works for the majority of my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

I bought a 1x1 for very small stamps then I bought a 2 1/1 x 2 1/2,a 4x4,a 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 for all my longer stamps,and a 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 for my bg stamps.5 blocks is enough with these sizes.for all of my Su stamps. most of my su stamps will fit 4X4 BLOCK.sOME YOU DO NEED ONE A BIT BIGGER FOR .oTHER THAN THAT You can get away with not getting all the sizes.

I LOVE ACRYLIC BECAUSE IT ALSO SAVES ME ON PRE TREATING MY WOOD,SO I don't have to worry about that anymore.if you get ink on the acrylic block it wipes right off with a tissue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #71  
Crimping Master

I bought a couple of the acrylic stamps to see if I would like them and they are great. I have trouble lining up the image on the SU stamps with whatever I am trying to make and this makes it almost impossible to mess up. I ordered a couple more of the sets and bought some at Hobby Lobby. There is a person on Ebay that makes the blocks, with a line to make sure you get your clear stamps on the block straight and rounded edges and they are so inexpensive, I bought several sizes to go along with the stamps. I still love SU, but, these are starting to take over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #72  
Inking Addict

I have both. I've started buying UM stamps on the internet where available, mainly because they're so much cheaper (that way I can own even more stamps!). I have to say, even though they take up more space, I tend to use my wood mounted stamps more because I see them. I display them in printers boxes on the wall. The SU sets I have neatly stack on top of each other, and I lable the side with the name of the set. Best of both worlds, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #73  
Glitter Guru

has anyone tried using a glue stick to the back of the rubber and mounting it on thier blocks.I just read out of a Dec 04 stampvamp news magazine that the owner of this magazine and publisher, does this with all her stamps.then when she's all done stamping she throws everything in soapy water and rinses everything off.she has never had a problem with her stamps when she stamps.Just wonderin gif anyone else has ever done this before.How easy is that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #74  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsouthall
Do you know the price of the TAC ezmount sheets? And the size?

Marian
Size of the ez-mount sheets are 8" x 10" and cost $5.00 a sheet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #75  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homemommie
what is TAC?

Thanks!
TAC stands for "The Angel Company.
We sell unmounted Rubber Stamp much like what SU sell, Except our stamp Block is a Acrylic Block.
All of our Stamps have Ez-mount Foam with them. All you do is put the ez-mount foam on your stamps and cut them out and start using them Peel them off the acrylic block when finished and place them in either the Plastic box they came or a old Style CD case.
Saves ton's of space.
http://www.theangelcompany.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #76  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Not only

[quote=IMBlessed5]TAC's stamps are high quality rubber, just like SU's. Only they cling to clear acrylic blocks. So they stamp just the same. I haven't heard many good things about the clear acrylic stamps, if that's what you're talking about.

One thing you can do with TAC stamps if you do not have an Acrylic block you can use a Tic Tac box, the bottom of glass. Anything Smooth with work great with these stamps.
I LOVE using our stamps and as IMBlessed5 stated our Rubber is good quality Rubber Deeply Etched
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #77  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom12
What size acrylic blocks do you buy & from where???

Thanks Lisa
You can buy Acrylic blocks from many different Places,
TAC sell them in Set's or single Blocks
CTMH sell them as well.
Some Craft store will sell them too. I know I have seen them in Hobby Lobby.
and some other places like Ebay.
I use mostly 3" x 3" 2" x2" 1" x1" 4 3/4" x 5"
And some longer ones for words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

Lisa62,

Scotch repositionable glue stick is all I use on the back of my un-mounted stamps!

It is so quick, easy and really cheap to use, holds great and I can take my stamps and wash them under running water if I need too!

To me, this is the ultimate mounting!

HTH

Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am addicted to both.
Love the price of Angel Company--as I'm a demonstrator
but luv Stampin Up too.
and....and....and....
Hugs
Pearl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Karen
I do that in a fix too.
Works great
Hugs
Pearl
Reply With Quote Likes