Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2006, 03:29 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many ladies are switching over to acrylic blocks.or have already done it.for spac

Here's a question I have been wondering about.so many of us have been stamping for a while now.and well with all the sets we have now and with the new catalog coming out very soon.

How many of you are thinking about going to acrylics.and how many of you have already made that move.

I know I have been stamping for about 2 years now and have accumulatred about 100 SU stamps sets already.and about another 85 single stamps sets from miscelaneous places.

I am running out of space now and I tried acylic blocks not long ago.and I have to say that I love the idea of all the space I am saving.I just need to find myself a nice cd rack now to hold all my new stamp cd cases.

I know SU probably isn't going to go with acrylic right now.but hopefully if enough people suggest it or they hear us.they might consider it in the future,or at least give those who need to save space the option.because without doing this.once people have run out of space.they either have to stop buying stamps due to no more space or.sell or trade what they have,which some or a lot of us hate to part with sets.So I think if they hear what we have to say about it they might think aboutand perhaps reconsidering it.maybe even if it's for the next catalog,since they won't for this one.

Hey it doesn't hurt to try right.If we don't try we won't know.
I know some ladies more than likely already asked them and they said not right now.But we have to stick together and keep getting on them and pass this thread on to them so even if you have switched over now.But think you may later please post your response.

If you have customers who wish to switch please tell them that also every little bit helps get us what we all need or want.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:46 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have unmounted most all of my retired sets and put them into CD cases for space purposes. However I have kept the wood and boxes them come in, stored in a closet just in case I decide to sell or trade the set. I do find myself not using those sets as frequently as the wood mounted because I have stamped for 9 years mostly with wood mounted stamps so that is hard to break away from.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:17 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I do both. I have Lots of acrylic stocks for Alphabets (they are so much easier to place and keep straight) I agree with you, space is an issue. Close to my heart retired all wooden stamps and only use acrylic now. I hope stampin up will follow suit. I will say though it is easier to store, the acrylic stamps can be a pain to take on and off all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:21 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the ease of storage with acrylic or unmounted stamps. I've been debating unmounting all my wood stamps but its a HUGE undertaking and have been putting it off.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I've started unmounting my stamps. I love using the acrylic blocks. 2 reasons - 1) certainly takes up less space. 2) I love being able to see where the stamp is going to stamp!

I love the quality of SU stamps, but I love the advantages of unmounted stamps.

Wish SU could merge these two so we didn't have the additional costs of the wood blocks if we aren't going to use them.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started to go unmounted about 1-1/2 years ago. I left the already wood mounted stamps alone, but any new stamp set I get does get mounted onto acrylic. (except background stamps, I wood mount those)

I would love love love SU to go unmounted, the price difference would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:22 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

I have gone to acrylics since becoming a CTMH consultant last October. I had run out of space evn though I have a stamping/scrapping room. I love th ease of using and storing the acrylics. I have no trouble taking them on and off the acrylic sheets. I adore the clear blocks since I have trouble lining up my mounted stamps. And I do not have overstamping issues with the acrylics.

I still have many, many mounted stamps (~150) including maybe 35 sets from SU. I keep saying I'm going to free some space by getting rid of the mounted stamps, but I don't do it. I only bought images that I loved and am too anal to get rid of them, I think. LOL!

Carol
Independent CTMH Consultant
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I am in the process of unmounting my SU stamps. I have over 300 sets so space to a big deal to me! I have read lots of posts in the last 6 months on the subject that helped me make up my mind. It would be great if SU offered sets mounted or unmounted like TAC does. I am storing my unmounted stamps in CD cases and I love it!!!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I just purchased 20 sheets of EZ mount from an ebay store (10 sheets for $29.95) so that I can work on UM my stamps too. That should allow me to store all of my stamps in **1** spot instead of here there and everywhere LOL

So does everyone here use CD cases to hold their stamps? Or does anyone use the binder sheets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I am confused, you can actually take the SU stamps apart and mount them on and off acrylic blocks??? How do they stick?? I find that very weird...
I love the acrylic blocks and see through stamps, and as you all have mentioned the storage is much more versitile. I have close to $8,000.00 invested in stamps and I am really running out of space..

It would be much more cost effective and they could certainly put more in the catty. Canadian least expensive stamp set is $17.95 and some of them are ok, my theory is if they would go acrylic and charge even $10.00 for those stamps my customers would be more inclinded to by 2 $10.00 them one 17.95 stamp, which is raising my sales as well as SU's

I Love SU stamps and the product is superior, however I love the fact that CTMH has individual colors for eyelets(and more of them), and some other unique picture hooks and things. Obviouisly the prices are competitive, it's just the versitility of being able to get one color instead of 1 that you going to use and 3 that you "may" use...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I love my stamps on wood blocks. I like that I don't have to mount and unmount the stamps all the time. Yes, space is an issue for me. If SU changes to acyrlic, I don't think I would buy from them anymore. I am not a fan of the way the acrylic stamps, stamps. Sorry just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like acrylic for some things--alphabets and word stamps. But I love my wood mounted images. SU has stated that they won't ever go acrylic, but as some have stated, you can always unmount (or not mount inthe first place) your SU images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #13  
Bunny's SunnyChick

We actually already have the option to go unmounted without SU! doing anything. Since we can buy the static cling and unmount them ourselves I seriously doubt SU! would ever go completely acrylic. Even though they purchased an acrylic stamp co.

One thing to keep in mind...if you do decide to unmount your stamps-make sure you keep the foam backing on them to prevent damages to your images.

I do alot of crops and such away from home with my GF's...so, eventually I will have all of my stamps unmounted to make storing them and traveling with them much more simple.

The only reason I have yet to do it...is that like someone already stated...it is a bit of a hassle to put your stamp onto the acrylic block every time you want to use it. For that reason, I may keep some that I use often on wood.
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #14  
Bunny's SunnyChick

oops double post...computer went crazy on me.
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stamping for nearly 10 years and I *love* acrylic stamps or using unmounted on the clear blocks! After stamping so many years I can't even tell you how many stamps I own and storage is a huge issue for me, so is cost. All the great things about acrylic stamps is what made me choose to recently become a CTMH rep.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Can one of you please explain in detail exactly how to unmount or not mount Rubber Stamps? What extra items/products do you need in order to do this? Where do you find these items?

I am thinking of doing this with my retired sets that I don't use much but want to do it the right way.

thanks,
Marian
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I have just started doing this. I first started with all my SU sets...unmounted them all and put them on the EZ mount foam. Then I decided I would start on all my store bought stamps....I had some problems with a few of them, but stuck them in the microwave for 20 seconds and the rubber came right off...if not, just keep putting them back in the micro for 10 seconds at a time. I love it..the space I have now is awesome. I store all my stamps in cd cases...plus I was able to trim stamps that had some problems when stamping. I have more stamps waiting to be put on EZ mount foam, which I just got in my TAC order yesterday, so later today, Im mounting the rest.

If you havent done it and are a bit scared to do it, just do it, it is amazing at the space you save and I love the fact that you can see where you are stamping.

Sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Do you know the price of the TAC ezmount sheets? And the size?

Marian
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:07 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

what is TAC?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't much like acrylic stamps, but I do like having my rubber unmounted. I just ordered a bunch from TAC and I love that they come with the EZ Mount, which is the system I have chosen. It's so easy to use and the space savings is amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I just completed unmounting ALL my stamps this week. It actually turned out to be much less work than I thought. I do a whole 9 x 12" tray of them in the microwave for 65 seconds. I have a sheet of Grafix Cling right there when they come out. Those that pull off with BOTH foam intact and foam completely sticky, get stuck right on the Grafix. The others get tossed in a box. Then I simply cut out the ones on Grafix when I watch TV. The ones who are not sticky or the foam is bad get the foam pulled off and those get stuck to EZ Mount. All are then categorized in CD cases and labeled. I now have 300 CD cases on 2 shelves instead of 1/4 of my craft room filled with 8 iris carts. The stamps are easier to use, my workspace has SO much less junk on it, stamps are easier to find and easier to clean. Positioning is just a dream come true! I can also make my own backgrounds by putting little stamps all over a big block. I cannot find a single downside to the whole deal and I have been stamping with wood for over 10 years. I cannot believe I was so afraid to do this. I am stamping much more as a result of the organization and ease of finding things.

With brand new SU stamps, I just trim, pull the backing paper off and put on Grafix and cut. Could not be easier or cheaper. I get both the Clear Grafix Vinyl Cling and the EZ Mount from Wilde-Ideas.com.

This all being said, I use RUBBER only. I hate the CTMH clear acrylics. Bought one set and within 6 months it has turned to a sticky gummy awful mess and they tear too. Rubber only for me!

Most of my stamping friends are going this route. I think SU is making a mistake if they don't pay attention to this trend. With shipping as high as it is, why be mailing wood blocks all over if people don't want them. Also, I am saving LOTS of trees, LOL, and I think SU should support that. Why can they not just send the rubber? Why do they HAVE to send the wood? It would not change anything they do. They could even sell EZ Mount if they wanted and make money on that. To me it is not listening to the consumers to continue to insist you have to buy the wood.

Last edited by annabelle1974; 06-09-2006 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

TAC = The Angel Company - they are a rubber stamp company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

TAC's sheets are appox 8x10 and cost $5.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

For those of you who want to unmount your stamps.you need to buy EZ Mount foam.this has a sticky side to it and the other side has a cling side .this is the side that you lay on te acrylic block.the sticky side goes on your rubber once you peel off the existing rubber that is there when you buy them.

To get the foam off the back of the stamp place it into a microwave for about 15 seconds .then peel it off and mount onto your ezmount foam.It's that simple.then cut out off the ezmount foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started stamping with SU products 5 years ago & really like the product line (even with some of the hiccups that happen) - but do use other companys products. I have a handful of acrylic stamps (hate them) & started buying rubber UM stamps. I have no room for new stamps so the next SU stamps I buy will be left UM & put on EZ Cling - the wood mounts, image sheet etc will be stored away just in case I ever sell a set & need these pieces.
A lot of people have said they store the UM stamps in CD cases but doesn't the little 'thingy' in the middle of the case (that holds the CD) get in the way???
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Kitty, it just pops out! Hold the case in front of you with the opening on the right. Open the case. On the left edge you can lift and snap the center insert by pulling it up and to your right. It may take a bit of elbow grease but the more you do it the better your technique gets! Then all you have to worry about is making sure the left seam doesn't squish the edges of any stamps and that everything inside is free and clear.

Last edited by annabelle1974; 06-09-2006 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks, Annabelle!! going to try this tonight.
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi, I switched over about 2 weeks ago- after thinking about it for months. I did alot of reading and thinking, and now I am so glad that I did. Just microwaved all the blocks and the stamps came right off. I left the foam on and am keeping the blocks just in case I want to sell or trade them. Used tack it for mounting, took a while but I am very pleased with the results so far. HTH

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I keep reading all the threads about going "blockless" and I tell ya, I'm a must see it to understand it. It get the jist of it all, but would love to see a blow by blow instructions with pictures. Anyone out there have that or live in Northern Cali near Fairfield who is converting??? Would love to see the process because like everyone else.........running out of SPACE!!!

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I have unmounted and wood mounted stamps both. For the ease of storing, I love the unmounted. I have over 100 sets and they store in a Karen Foster 7 x 9 Snap & Scrap box.

I do not however, use EZ mount or Grafix Cling. I have nothing but the pure rubber. I use Scotch Restickable Glue Stick on the back of the rubber and this holds it to the storage envelope and to the acrylic mounts.

If I feel I need any padding, a couple of sheets of notebook paper or a piece of fun foam works just fine.

Save a lot of money too!

HTH

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saints
I love my stamps on wood blocks. I like that I don't have to mount and unmount the stamps all the time. Yes, space is an issue for me. If SU changes to acyrlic, I don't think I would buy from them anymore. I am not a fan of the way the acrylic stamps, stamps. Sorry just my 2 cents.

Well said and I agree 100%!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I would not buy acrylic from SU either but I sure would like to quit paying for pounds of wood I don't need. Just think how SU could help lower shipping if they at least gave the option to people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

TAC's stamps are high quality rubber, just like SU's. Only they cling to clear acrylic blocks. So they stamp just the same. I haven't heard many good things about the clear acrylic stamps, if that's what you're talking about.

I don't really mind the mounting and unmounting. It doesn't take anymore time to remove the stamp from the block and set it in a CD case than to place a wooden one in a case. Guess I'm just used to it :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Here is another thread with a lot of good ideas and instructions on unmounting. This is where I first decided to go unmounted. I don't use the EZ mount. I just use Alene's Tac it over and over repositional glue. This is mentioned in one of the threads.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

HTH's

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

It was with real trepidation that I unmounted my stamps. I realized that I was really hurting the value if I decided to sell them. However, the space savings are amazing and I actually find it easier then wood blocks even with the step of putting the rubber on an acrylic mount. I have stamped for over 15 years and wonder now what took me so long! I do prefer rubber to acrylic. I would just like the option of buying only rubber from SU and companies like HeroArts. Pains me to pay for wood I won't use.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Yeah, it's hard to believe that a tiny piece of wood double the price of your stamp set! lol

I don't think I could do it if I knew I wasn't going to mount them on the wood. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativedee
I am confused, you can actually take the SU stamps apart and mount them on and off acrylic blocks??? How do they stick?? I find that very weird...
Actually the SU stamps are *SO VERY* sticky that what i do is to wash them a bit and then press them on and off of my sweatshirt or jeans a *whole bunch* of times. Eventually they lose a little of their holding power so that I can use them on an acrylic block and peel them off easily.

Quote:

If SU changes to acyrlic, I don't think I would buy from them anymore. I am not a fan of the way the acrylic stamps, stamps.
I don't especially like acrylic stamps. Tried only a few so I'm not an "expert." But I do wish that SU would offer their rubber stamps unmounted... I mean really unmounted, just the rubber. I don't need the wood. I don't need the stickers. I don't need the plasctic containers.
A high percentage of online companies offer their stamps both ways. Mounted and unmounted. Seems easy enough for the smart folks at SU to figure out.
John 3:16

Last edited by GarnetJ; 06-09-2006 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintica
I keep reading all the threads about going "blockless" and I tell ya, I'm a must see it to understand it. It get the jist of it all, but would love to see a blow by blow instructions with pictures.
I don't have the "blow by blow instructions," but I do have a couple of pictures. I have one "index notebook" of stamped images so that I can find which of the "storage notebooks" the rubber is in. One storage notebook is for animals, one for flowers, one for Bible verses, and some for A - Z topics.
Some of my stamps have the special "vinyl cling" on them, but often I just use double stick tape on the acrylic blocks. When the tape loses its stickiness, I take it off and put on a new piece.
Pictures of my notebook pages....
Attached Thumbnails
How many ladies are switching over to acrylic blocks.or have already done it.for spac-birthday-page.jpg   How many ladies are switching over to acrylic blocks.or have already done it.for spac-page-18.jpg   How many ladies are switching over to acrylic blocks.or have already done it.for spac-rubber.jpg  
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

My general rule is that if the stamp comes mounted, I keep it that way, and if it is unmounted, I use EZ Mount and the storage boards in notebooks.

I do like to squish my rubber stamps in to hot embossing powder and polymer clay and I know mounted stamps will hold. Of course, I would not try this with acrylics as they seem far more frail than vulcanized rubber. I am concerned that acrylics simply won't age as well as rubber stamps - either becoming brittle or deteriorating over time.

So I buy mounted when I can, and unmounted when I can't.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Remember that non all unmounteds are acrylic. Many of us UM-fans do not use acrylic stamps at all.
Reply With Quote Likes