Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Default How to layer images and sentiments?

When looking in the galleries, I see everyone usually layers their image at least one time with some color. I was thinking about this lately, and just wanted to ask, when planning a card, do you mostly layer? Also, for those that tend to use a lot of demension/layering, how do you "picture" it in your head..in other words..how do you use a ton of layers?? I usually only use 1 or 2..thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just started stamping and I look at past Sketch Challenge threads, which is the Wednesday challenge. It shows you various ways to layer and "plan" your cards. I am not advanced enough to think of it myself, however once you get started, you will start playing around with different looks, layers, punches, etc.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

To be honest, I never think about it, I just keep adding till I get what I like...or till I've gone overboard...LOL! But I usually layer everything at least once, because I don't really like the plain look!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Before I found Splitcoast, my cards were ALL one layer. Just stamped and colored. Now I have to do at lest one layer.
Miabel's advice is good. Check out the Wednesday Sketch Challenges. Lots of different ways to arrange squares and circles and triangles and trapezoids and ovals and...............
John 3:16
Old 04-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I am still content with one layer. I find itchallenging to make them textured enough to look 3-D. I am beginning to venture out with the layered look, however. This website has proven very helpful for me.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=212011
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Oops - when using the thread I posted, scroll down to the end of the first post. You will find 2 useful WORD docs!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a silly little way of looking at things -- but to me it just seems normal -- though my friends tell me I am not -- LOL!!! I first like to create a *wall* -- I love to use patterned paper, so I choose a few that coordinate. I view those as *wallpaper*. I decide which looks best on bottom and which looks best on top. Then, based on the size/shape of my main image, I determine where the dividing line between the 2 should be, higher or lower, usually NOT center, but sometimes. Then, of course, we need a chair rail where the 2 wallpapers meet -- so that is either a thin strip of a 3rd piece of coordinating DP or a ribbon, often tied off into a bow on one side or the other. OK, now you have your *wall* as your background.

Now, all you have to do is *hang your picture*. Mat/frame your main image once or twice, whatever you think looks good, and position it on the wall in a pleasing fashion -- and there you have it -- a wall, complete with picture. I have a tone of cards in my gallery where, once you know what I'm thinking, you'll be able to easily pick them out. This type of card doesn't necessarily need a lot of layers, per se, but the wall background lends a lot of interest to the one matted/framed image.

Just my silly 2 cents worth -- LOL!!!

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Old 04-29-2007, 03:22 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Similar to Sharon, I try to Frame the main image--Sometimes a stamped image, sometimes the sentiment. What ever I want to demand the most attention. To demand attention, I have found that high contrast works well, so I often use the darkest color to "frame" the lightest color. Most of my mats are 1/8" larger than layer directly above. This is where a paper trimmer is necessary.

Practice is best. The color challenges and the sketch challenges are wonderful for this. Often the sketch will have the mat already in the plan. The color challenge usually has one color that is darker than the others (or you can slip in black)--try using that color as an accent--a framing color if you will---Using the quart-pint-pinch color theory {a quart of the 1st color, a pint of the second, and pinch of the accent}

my blog
Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

All that being said, I love to do layers, but have a couple of one layer cards in my gallery that I really like a lot, so maybe it just depends...!

And, Sharon, thanks for that explanation.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/