Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: How do you feel your shopping compare to others here at SCS?
I shop well more than others on SCS do. 1 0.97%
I shop more than others on SCS do. 14 13.59%
I'd say I'm average. 43 41.75%
I shop less than others on SCS do. 24 23.30%
I shop tons less than others on SCS do. 21 20.39%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does your shopping compare to others on this site?

Seems like every other thread is something for us to buy! And sometimes when I read I get the feeling that there are some lucky gals out there who buy it all!

How do you think you stack up? Are you a buy it all type? Do you rarely fall for the enabling?

Just thought this would be a little fun.

Me- I think I fall in the middle. I placed a frugalities order, but didn't fall prey to the lust of hundreds of dollars of copics. I have about 50 TAC sets and around 20 SU sets. I haven't gotten bellas or papertrey, but I did get uninked spots from Welburn, and put an order in at scrapbook pal to get free mono. I put in SU orders 2 times a year and TAC orders about 6. I wish I could resist more- but I just can't I feel guilty about the enabled orders, but try not to hide them from DH.

What about you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Interesting question.....I think I shop less then average and maybe tons less then average. I pretty much only buy SU but that is because I am a demo and live in an area that only has a walmart to buy from. I can drive into neighboring towns to purchase from the big hobby retailers but I don't that often because as a hobby demo, I need all the orders I can get to meet my minimums since I don't have many customers and no time to really look for any. I am not complaining because I LOVE so much that SU has but it does keep me from getting a good deal else where at times.

That all being said, I do have way more than I need! I am afraid to count my SU sets as I am sure I have well over 100. I also have a 4 drawer filing cabinet full of supplies, two drawers full of 8.5 x 11 cardstock and a stack of 12 x 12 that is almost a foot high. Several drawers of embellishments too.

I am not much of a shopper in general so that may contribute a bit but I am a goal setter so when SU dangles free stuff with a certain size workshop order or something like that, I tend to bend over backwards to get it, even though I don't need it and it usually means that I spend my money to get it. I am also a collector so if there is a whole set of something but I like all but one, I still feel inclined to get all of them for some stupid reason.

Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

BTW, I am wondering what defines average? Maybe I just think everyone is spending more then me when in reality they are spending less then me? hmmmmmmmmm...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoutpupView Post
BTW, I am wondering what defines average? Maybe I just think everyone is spending more then me when in reality they are spending less then me? hmmmmmmmmm...........
Well- I guess we could say amount you spend yearly- but I didn't want to do dollar amounts. Dollar amounts tend to hurt feelings (at least on the american girl board I used to visit they did. Some women spent tens of thousands yearly, others were only able to spend hundreds).

This was more "percieved" average.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I think it depends on how much disposable income you have....
If things are tight, I don't spend, but if there is extra money, it's a healthy hobby and I don't feel guilty about buying supplies.

Currently I have been spending quite a bit on art stuff... but I'll use it all for hours of enjoyment and pay-it-forward with cards and art pieces sent to friends and family.

I'd feel way more guilty buying clothes or shoes or going out on the town than purchasing art supplies.

It's all perception and personal relevance, too - - I cannot imagine spending hundreds let alone thousands or tens of thousands on doll clothes.... that blows my mind.

But I'll place a hundred dollar art supply order no problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have only been stamping a year and am relatively frugal with money so I think I have been doing pretty well. I only have SU stamps and probably buy no more than 5 a year (although I do have more since I have SAB sets, hostess sets and ebayed at first so I got a lot of stamps in one purchase). The only thing that SU has "MADE" me buy are Stickles and I love them. Cuttlebug makes really cute backgrounds but I worry that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Will admit that I can't wait to see the gallery with the new stamps so I can make some new purchases .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

What a great discussion. I usually don't have that much to spend on art supplies but do tend to get the bigger ticket (ie, cuttlebug, stamp sets) things I REALLY want and that I think will be useful. I'm careful though and use sales and coupons and (at least most of the time) patience.

My problem though is bargains -- I can't resist a great bargain. I've bought more low-cost things (paper, scrapbook sets, ribbons, alterables) than I'll ever be able to use because they were all only a dollar or two. I was organizing the other day and plan on getting rid of lots of "cheap" paper and I had the thought -- "If I put that $1 or $2 in a jar instead of getting these impulse things, I'd probably have an extra 3 or 4 great stamps sets at the end of a year."

Any other "bargain" hunters?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I pick and choose what I want to buy. Also, I'm trying to decrease the space it takes to store things. This lends itself to unmounteds, acrylics, etc which are better value in general.

There's very few things that I say I HAVE to go buy that right now. Plus, I dont' have access to many stores that lend themselves to impulse buying.

Great discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd love to shop as much as some do but I just don't have the money. I know some people had $200 orders and some more than that from the new catalog and I will be putting in an order of approximately $30 when I get the new catalog. Sometimes I want to be jealous but I sit back and say thank you for what I have and stop being jealous.
If I was married and had somebody else bringing in money, then I would be putting in a big order I think but until then...it's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I probably am average. I belong to a stamp club with three friends/family. I tend to buy more when one of us is host/hostess (yes, one is a guy). I can't afford to put in huge orders every month, but, having said that, I am amazed at just how much I have purchased in the two years I have been stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I think I shop less than the average SCS person. I did finally buy some of the scalloped punches and some of the Papertrey stamps. I also am a TAC angel because of SCS. (Ha! Actually because of YOU, Skittl1321!)

I still only buy what I like though. I prefer to buy things on sale or with a coupon. Granted, yes, I could buy things full price and not blink... but I compare bargain shopping like the thrill of the hunt and bagging the big buck with a full rack. (I don't hunt but this analogy helped my DH "get it" when I find something I want.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default the artist's closet

I like reading about other products that people like....I think it over, keep it in the back of my mind. I don't have very much space....and having too many things and not enough space is far worse than having everything you want. so it's easy for me to not want everything I hear about...because I don't want possessions hanging heavy around my neck....been there before.

I buy mainly SU stuff...have maybe 100 stampsets, papers, etc. I place a CTMH order 2x a year...have probably 40 of their sets. My eyelet setter still requires a hammer. I have no cool tools...though keep thinking about a cuttlebug. I keep looking at the bcdservices.com ink pad caddy....but it's so expensive.

I like hearing what other people think are must haves...and different techniques they learn....and I like seeing their art work.
Reply With Quote Likes