Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traveling with stamping stuff

Have any of you taken your stamping supplies on a trip? I will be on a plane and I just wonder if you have some suggestions of what I could take to keep down the amount of stuff but still have everything I need with me. Should I concentrat on one set and bring lots of different papers etc. Any suggestions

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi,

I recently posed the same question for a long car trip. It was suggested that I get a cropper hopper supply tote (which I did and thought was a GREAT suggestion) It holds lots of stuff including Cardstock so that it stays straight, and also provides a great stamping surface when on your lap. I also chose a project ot work on, my Christmas cards. It was good to get a lot done. Since you are going by plane I would suggest that you do all your paper cutting before you board, so that they don't take your cutting tools away during airport security. Perhaps the Stampin Carry (16.95) would be a good travel item as well to fit things like your paper trimmer and such, just be careful about the security checks again.

Hope that helps! Happy Travels!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Wow am I ever glad you said that about the cutting tools, I had forgotten. The one project idea is good too, that would be great to get a lot of my Christmas cards finished while on this trip. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 06:29 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb I take mine

Well I take mine when we go camping. I need to have something to do when it's raining. And sometimes when it too hot for sitting outside ( or too many bugs!) I stamp inside the camper.

I have a plasitc tool box that I fit most of my stuff in.( I use Ink spots mostly for stamping I have about 20 of them, And One India Black ink, And I use one of my old plastic stamp boxes to carry them in.) (Zig markers all ten of them),( I take CS that's beem cut into quater sheets) (Scrapbook paper) (Double stick tape and glue stick) (Stamp sets I store most of my stamps in Old Jewel CD cases. So I can fit about 10 sets in the tool box) (Fiber, Eyelets and my Eyelet setter and small hammer) (m watercolor pencils and blender pens)

I really do just basic stamping while I'm on the road. I also take my TAC catalog and Direct Customers order sheets with me. Just in case. I run into someone that wants to place an order. This way it will go to there house and not mine.

In fact we are getting ready to go camping this next coming weekend for a mini vacation.
Am I trying to see what I want to take with me. I miss my stamps when I'm gone.

So this way I won't miss them as much. Plus if I need to make a card for someone I can. For a "Thank you" or "Birthday" or just a "To Cheer you"

My Dh thinks I'm Crazy!.....But I did tell him, "Well you take your tools to work on things while we gone" So what's the problem?
My toolbox doesn't take up anymore room than your tool box.

And he just looks at me and laughs...And say you're right. Why not?

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Ah let them laugh, gives them something to do. You sound like you have done this quite a lot. I am getting my stuff ready but so glad I was reminded about the cutting things they will have to go into my checked baggage if I decide to take them. I also might get a chance to go to some different craft stores and I can get additional papers there if I need them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default MightyMouse

Since Dh and I camp on our Vacations, It doesn't matter what I take as long as I don't take a ton of it! ....lol@men!

I even took Stamping stuff with me on my Honeymoon. We went to the U.P of Michigan snowmobling (sp)
In the middle of Feb. Brrrrrrr..... it was 18 below when got there.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of my friends is in Alaska visiting family right now. She stamped a ton of images to color in with her watercolor pencils while on the plane. SHe had a small amount of stuff, and took what would require the most time, because the trip would provide her with a lot of plane/airport time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

You can't take your scissors or craft knives but they did let me take my CutterBee with the rotary blade on. This was last year when I went to convention. You may want to call ahead and see what they will accept.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Murphy
You can't take your scissors or craft knives but they did let me take my CutterBee with the rotary blade on. This was last year when I went to convention. You may want to call ahead and see what they will accept.

Karen
Karen, Was that even in your checked luggage that they wouldn' t let you take scissors and kraft knives?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #10  
Sassy Shani

You can check scissors and paper cutters in your check luggage. Just nothing like that in your carry-on. They even passed a law recently that says you cannot take a lighter on board the plane. (just in case someone lights the pilot on fire) JK;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Lightbulb ?

I think as long as you pack them in your suitcase, You can take them.
I know my sister flys a lot and she said that as long as they are packed away it's ok.

One thing you could do is buy another thing to place your scissors that can be locked. Place it in your sutcase and if they want to open your bag. Just may sure you have the keys.

Or the other thing you could do is Ship your scissors to the place you are staying and then ship them back to yourself after the show.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #12  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

When I flew to Seattle to visit my daughter I packed alot of stamping stuff into a small duffle type bag. Included were all of my cutting tools. I checked my baggage. The bag was inspected as I found the TSA inspection form inside but everything was fine. I did have my StampinUp catty on top just so they would realize what all the stuff was for. I also had a TSA approved security lock on it. I hope this helps! Have fun and btw Shanon, are you going to stamp in Vegas ? LOL!

Debi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

when we travel I bring markers or spots, I pre-cut cardstock so I don't have to bring more than one pair of scissors, (your fingers are great for the plane, tear your edges) You can scribble onto vellum w/watercolor pencils, and marker for water color,and create a color pallet. you can bring a lot more colors this way on one thin piece of paper. aquapainter and blender pens are small. If you pre-stamp images you can color them and assemble on the plane. I like mono adhesive for the plane gluestick is too messy. all my supplies fit into my purse.

These days w/one SMALL carry on and one purse, back up undies,toothbrush and valuales, camera, I-pod, computer, day planner/address book (our luggage has taken separate vacations many times) no food service we have to pack so much for the plane there isn't much room for anything else. Some trips I go to the craft store and get a few stamping magazines and a note pad and design on trips.

for a vacation (not going to see family) I bring a minimum My DH doen't want to watch me stamp. when we go to my in-laws (road trip) I bring a box we have a lot more down time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I do travel with my Fiskars paper trimmer - on planes - without problems. What could you do with that little 1/16" blade that slides? I cut my cardstock in half before leaving home, and then take my small trimmer with me!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 05:45 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I agree with Danssister, I love to watercolor with the h2o's. I stamp a stack of images, then just take a plastic box that is a little larger than the cardstock. It holds the paper, and plenty of the watercolor pots. I put the aquapainter in a plastic baggie inside. (just in case) I can use the plastic box as a desk. People always ask me about what I'm doing.

You can also take watercolor pencils instead of the h2o's.

I keep a box ready like this, and I take it when I go anywhere I might have to wait, such as waiting for an oil change, etc.

Feathered Friends is a good set to use. I fill the pages with images, then I have cards for all occasions. I just cut and mount the images later.
Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

OK I'm ready I got it all together nothing sharp in my carry on, boy isn't it a shame that it has come to this. I am all for protecting the passengers and crew but just think it is sad that we have to worry about it now.

Reply With Quote Likes