Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   How do you stuff your envelopes? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-do-you-stuff-your-envelopes-646330/)

DancesWithHooves 02-19-2024 08:24 AM

How do you stuff your envelopes?

Odd question to run by the group today but it’s one I’m struggling with frequently these days:

Do you stuff your cards in the envelope fold-first or open-end first?

I used to think this was pretty straightforward, but then I started making cards that required stuffing different from my standard… and now I play it card by card.

Just curious what the group does!

Hugs and blessings this President’s Day,

leibetty 02-19-2024 09:35 AM

if I think about it . I put the front to the front so no sneak peek while they are opening it -that is if they open from the back flap.

otherwise it might depend on where the lumps are

ETA , folded edge first in case of any enclosures, which sometimes I send little stickers or whatever

Cook22 02-19-2024 10:34 AM

Folded edge first, normally. Unless there's something overhanging slightly, in which case I would try to have that at a side (most of my cards are square) or at the top of the envelope.

cnsteele 02-19-2024 03:01 PM

The folded edge almost always goes in the envelope first, simply because it seems to slide into the envelope easier in that direction.

hoptownracer1 02-19-2024 03:20 PM

I think I do it folded edge first, but it depends on where the embellishments are, as I put them at the bottom.

DianeinSparks 02-19-2024 05:13 PM

I would say folded edge first but since I usually have gems, enamel dots or other embellishments on my cards, it's where the narrowest side is!

lutheran 02-20-2024 02:53 AM

Oops! I clicked on the wrong one. I stuff them open edge first, to keep anything inside the card (money, photos, etc) from flying out when the envelope is opened.
Mary Beth

fl_beachbum 02-20-2024 04:06 AM

At least half of my cards are top folding, so I guess that doesn’t help you much. But when they are side-folding the folded side goes in first, with the card facing the back of the envelope.

lovinpaper 02-20-2024 04:07 AM

I always have the fold at the top of the envelope. Not sure why, but that seems to be how every piece of mail delivered is, so that is what I do.

lynnewithane 02-20-2024 05:36 AM

That’s a great question. I know that I put the front of the card facing the flap of the envelope. I think I do open side first, for no particular reason.

fionna51 02-20-2024 06:01 AM

After thinking about it, I need to revise my thoughts.

I answered fold first. I may be wrong on that. If my card is wide with the fold on the top, or if I do a side fold, then I will do either fold first or open side first, with not much thought as to why.

But 98% of my cards are top-fold tall cards. Maybe 99%! (card base cut 4-1/4 x 11). So every one goes in the envelope with an open side first.

OneDevotedDame 02-20-2024 06:48 AM

I put my side-folded cards in, depending on whether the recipient is left- or right-handed, so that whenever the card is pulled out, it's right side up. (My family has several southpaws.) Top-folding cards are put in folded side up, again, so it's not upside down when taken out.

All cards are stuffed so that the front faces the envelope flap. Although, I haven't used any translucent vellum envelopes yet, so I can possibly see myself flipping the card so that the front faces the front of the envelope, in that case.

smhtwin 02-20-2024 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparks (Post 22304929)
I would say folded edge first but since I usually have gems, enamel dots or other embellishments on my cards, it's where the narrowest side is!

Ditto for me!

dini 02-20-2024 08:09 AM

Open side first, facing the flap. Fun question!

DancesWithHooves 02-20-2024 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 22305067)
Open side first, facing the flap. Fun question!

Dina, this is exactly what my "always" process was before I started questioning it with some more complex cards. And my reasoning was that that way, the recipient pulls it out easier and I get to be the one to struggle to get a smooth slide on my "in" with it. :D

wavejumper 02-20-2024 04:18 PM

Open end first, facing the flap so when they open it they see the front immediately. I just think it is easier to grab the fold when pulling out.

But-if I had put something loose in the card, then it would be fold end first to avoid falling out.

If I have gems and stuff I might put in either a piece of CS or a very thin piece of foam to protect it and go with hand cancel but that would not change the loading.

gaylestamps 02-20-2024 07:53 PM

Folded edge first, because:
I once zipped opened a handmade card that had the fold at the flap end & I sliced the card in half!
Broke my heart, so I would never risk putting someone else on that position.

A fun survey!

123scrap 02-21-2024 02:20 AM

Maybe it's because I'm lefthanded, but I used to put the card in open edge first as that's how my hands did it. But watching enough recipients have to turn the card around because they were righthanded (like 95% of the world) made me switch to putting the folded edge in first.

barney 02-21-2024 03:33 AM

Years ago, I was taught to put the raw edges in first. (1) It prevents paper cuts and (2) it's easier for the recipient to grab.

jeanne3579 02-21-2024 04:42 AM

I do open end first with the card facing the flap. I figure the card will be opened from the back, so when the card is pulled out the recipient will see it right off and be able grasp the folded edge. I do put a panel of thin cardstock on many of my cards due to keeping embellishments safe through the machine, but the front will still be seen first when that's removed.

cataluma 02-21-2024 07:25 AM

Folded edge in first

I put the folded edge in first. If the person receiving the card uses a letter opener, they will not cut open the card if the fold is at the bottom of the envelope.

mac4551 02-21-2024 07:49 AM

I have mentioned this on you tube to a few crafters and they claimed they never thought about it: I put the FOLDED edge in and the front decorated side towards the inside of the envelope. That way if someone uses a knife or letter opener, they won't risk cutting the fold of the card if was placed in open edge first - I make a lot of my own envelopes and use liquid glue to seal the flap. If the glue happens to spread out, it won't mess up the front of the card.

Kathleen Mc 02-21-2024 07:49 AM

I put the card in with the design facing the flap, so that the card has no chance of being damaged when being postmarked in the machine.
I put it in with the fold at the top, cos I think it makes it easier to grab hold of.

Teachybaby 02-21-2024 08:41 AM

I put the fold in first so any gems or bling face the back of the envelope. If you ever received a card with a lot of teeny holes in the envelope you would understand!

dini 02-22-2024 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrap (Post 22305207)
Maybe it's because I'm lefthanded, but I used to put the card in open edge first as that's how my hands did it. But watching enough recipients have to turn the card around because they were righthanded (like 95% of the world) made me switch to putting the folded edge in first.

I never thought about handedness but this makes sense.

susanbri 02-23-2024 02:29 PM

I've always put it in open edges first as I think the fold is easier to grab for removing the card. But I never thought about people who use letter openers who might slice the spine of the card!

And I put it in with the front of the card against the front of the envelope unless there are a lot of gemstones, in which case I have the front of the card against the back of the envelope.

TexasGrammy 02-23-2024 03:14 PM

How fun to read our differing thoughts & rationales on this!
Like Adriana, Fionna and others, I prefer making topfold cards, with a few exceptions. So, open sides in first for those. I have accidentally (& sadly) cut through folded edges with the letter opener, so when I'm near scissors, I often cut an eency slice off the end of envelopes.

Ris 02-23-2024 04:37 PM

Folded edge first

I was taught that the folded edge should go in first so that the envelope contents would not be sliced by a letter opener, nor would included contents (e.g. check, gift card, folded bills, etc.) accidentally slide out and be left behind inside the envelope. Don't risk having the recipient slicing your beautiful handmade card into two pieces. Ouch! Also, being left vs right-handed may also figure into how proper the inserting "feels".

cheermom 02-24-2024 03:34 PM

I have been putting my cards in WRONG for 30 years??????? Not that there is a right or wrong but I put the folded side up facing towards the flap. Hmmmmm. I may need to rethink my process??? lol