Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you store?...

I'm working on organizing my craft room. I'm on the home stretch but I still have some ?'s.
First, how do you store your eyelets, brads and other small items? I have been keeping mine in the small containers that they come in, but I'm thinking about some sort of divided box. I thought this way I could pull out the box, open it and see all of my choices. Maybe I would actually use them then. My issue with this is not using those cute little stacking containers that they come in!
Next, if you have any kits such as scrapbooking sets that have paper and coordinating accessories, do you keep these stored together? I do, but I'm finding that this is causing my stuff to be spread out in different areas of the room. Meaning that the paper isn't with all of my other paper and so forth.
What items do you keep on you desk, in arms reach?
Lastly, do you use SU paper exclusively? If not, how do you store all of the other paper? I'm not concerned about patterned paper, just other card stock. I have several other brands, I tend to use my SU mostly, so now the other paper seems to be more trouble for me. Although it is nice to have extra colors for when needed.
Thanks for letting me go on.... sorry to be so long winded (typed)! I really would appreciate any of your ideas and suggestions.
Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

An idea to store your eyelets and brads is the storage cases that you use to store the floss for cross stitch, they are clear and have sections in them. You could also get the storage system like this

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...6&PRODID=70412

I really don't buy many scrapbooking kits, but what I do if I am buying scrapbooking stuff for a specfic projects I will store it in one of the plastic
12x12 envelopes. I also use plastic 12x12 storage containers the are about 2in deep that I got at Michaels for my paper.

I usually keep adhesives, scissors and my paper cutter on my dsk, I don;t have a very big space, so I am limited as to what I can keep out on my desk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I keep my brads/eyelets in see-through divided containers. I can't find the words to describe it...it's a rectangular shape, about 1 inch deep and has about 20 different smaller sections inside with a lid. I put the eyelets in each section, and put a label on the lid telling me what color each section of eyelets hold. I've bought several of these at local scrapbooking stores.

In arms reach, I keep my bone folder, adhesive, paper cutter, scissors, and hand wipes.

As far as answering your paper question, I'm still searching for the perfect way to store it so I'm anxious to read other stampers replies to this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Here is the other container I was talking about that you can use for brad ans eyelets

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...2&PRODID=11758
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

i store my paper in hanging file folders with the scraps of each color in the front of the file. this helps me use up my scraps i usually keep out things like paper cutter (close at hand) scisors, adhesive, and basic black inkpad along with my stamp n scrub are all out on my desk within arms reach. i'm actually working on organizing my corner of our multi-purpose room of our house. if you are finding that the way you are keeping your scrap kits is preventing you from having things where it is convient then pluck up the courage to seperate those coordinating things..lol i know it would take a lot for me to break up a set of anything!..i'm just compulsive like that. i'd also keep close at hand some of the more frequently used punches like the 1/16" and 1/8" circles and whatever else you find yourself reaching for the most. enjoy your space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

For my brads and eyelets I found these at both Michaels and Joanns.

Craft Mates Ezy Snappin Refills

I like them because you only open 1 compartment at a time so when you drop them you don't have a royal mess to clean up!

I also didn't realize until I went looking for a link to them that they can be part of a bigger system. I just have them separately in a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm still working at it. It's one of those projects that seem like it will never get done!
I am leaning toward using a floss holder for the eyelets and brads. I like that I would be able to see my choices. Although. I did think about the storage things that sit in the desk, with tons of slide out drawers. I think they're original purpose was as a garage storage organizer, but I don't know what they're called. I have a small white one already. It has stuff in it that I hardly use.
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 04:46 AM   #8  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy
For my brads and eyelets I found these at both Michaels and Joanns.

Craft Mates Ezy Snappin Refills
This is what I use, but I bought one of the systems. See it here.

Like Buzzy, I really like that you only open one little compartment at a time. It's so hard to get little eyelets, brads, snaps, etc., out of those multi-compartment boxes without dumping them into each other. And, if you've ever dropped your eyelet box (speaking from experience here), the locking system on these boxes is great!

I bought my unit with a Mike's 50% off coupon. Three of my friends have bought the same thing since they've seen it!

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Check out the fishing department at Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse!

The best solution I have found for eyelets, brads, buttons and etc are "Fly boxes". They are small metal boxes (about 5" X 7") with windowed compartments with a spring mechanism that pop open when you press the tab. They come in styles that range from 10 compartments to 16. And cost about $20. (except at Orvis, who sell the same thing for $60) Best thing is, if you drop it, the compartments stay closed.

Sporting goods stores is a phenomenal place to find great organizational tools. Fishing depts especially! Fishing is all about tiny, expensive lures that need to stay sorted, carted around,and easily accessed - Hmmm, sounds a lot like my stamping stuff. You can even find interesting embellishiments there- check out the fly-tying section!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
I'm working on organizing my craft room. I'm on the home stretch but I still have some ?'s.
First, how do you store your eyelets, brads and other small items? I have been keeping mine in the small containers that they come in, but I'm thinking about some sort of divided box. I thought this way I could pull out the box, open it and see all of my choices. Maybe I would actually use them then. My issue with this is not using those cute little stacking containers that they come in!
Next, if you have any kits such as scrapbooking sets that have paper and coordinating accessories, do you keep these stored together? I do, but I'm finding that this is causing my stuff to be spread out in different areas of the room. Meaning that the paper isn't with all of my other paper and so forth.
What items do you keep on you desk, in arms reach?
Lastly, do you use SU paper exclusively? If not, how do you store all of the other paper? I'm not concerned about patterned paper, just other card stock. I have several other brands, I tend to use my SU mostly, so now the other paper seems to be more trouble for me. Although it is nice to have extra colors for when needed.
Thanks for letting me go on.... sorry to be so long winded (typed)! I really would appreciate any of your ideas and suggestions.
Dina
My eyelets and brads are stored in this bag that I bought at HL or Michael's (can't remember which). Inside the bag are 5 locking "organizers." On my desk I have my scrubbing pad, stampin mist, color caddy and too many stamp sets. I also have a small plastic container with my mini glue dots, ribbon glue, liquid glue, crystal effects and adhesives. As for the SU paper, yeah I do use SU exclusively, only because I'm anal about everything matching. Plus, I love the quality of the SU cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp
The best solution I have found for eyelets, brads, buttons and etc are "Fly boxes". They are small metal boxes (about 5" X 7") with windowed compartments with a spring mechanism that pop open when you press the tab. They come in styles that range from 10 compartments to 16. And cost about $20. (except at Orvis, who sell the same thing for $60) Best thing is, if you drop it, the compartments stay closed.

Sporting goods stores is a phenomenal place to find great organizational tools. Fishing depts especially! Fishing is all about tiny, expensive lures that need to stay sorted, carted around,and easily accessed - Hmmm, sounds a lot like my stamping stuff. You can even find interesting embellishiments there- check out the fly-tying section!
I so wished that I would have seen this before Saturday. I went to both places on Saturday in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I went to Walmart and in the bead section I got a clear container that has 24 small tic tac like boxes in it for eyelets and brads for 4.44. They also have crystal clear divided boxes like the floss containers. I think they are $2. A bit smaller than the floss ones but I like them because they are crystal clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I have square rectagular tins that hold smaller circular tins with clear tops. They come in different sizes. I bought the ones which had 9 circular tins inside. I have one for brads, one for eyelets, one for snaps. I purchased them at Michael's.
However, if I ever change up my system, I might go with the cropper hopper one. It is a big box with lots of tiny little clear boxes inside (about the size of tic tac containers). This way I could have my brads and such divided out more. Right now I have them dividied into: metallics, brights, primary etc.

Jeanette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I forgot to add how I store scrapbook kits. I keep them together. I have the cropper hopper 12x12 paper organizers (like the ones from the mini catalogs). I just keep all my scrapbooking kits in one until they are needed.

I keep like stickers/die cuts etc in one as well. In this one I have pouches that they make as well. I have a pouch for sports, girls (DD), boys (DS), unisex, friends/family etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

For brads, eyelets, and like embellishments, I went to the dollar tree and bought packages of tiny little rubbermaid like containers. I think the package had 12 of them for a dollar. Very handy. And super cheap. They are small and stackable, and almost see through. I love them. As a matter of fact, I need to go get more.

Tackle boxes are great too.

Me
Reply With Quote Likes