Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you sort your stuff?

I purged a bunch of stamp/scrap stuff last night and tossed 3 bags of carp. Now I still feel like I have soooo much stuff. I can't get it straight! How do you sort? What I mean is, do you keep all embelishments together/toos/punches/etc?? I have boxes and boxes and am so tired of it all!!

HELP!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm subscribing to this thread, because although mine is semi-sorted, I wonder if there is a better way. I too have boxes full of stuff, they are labelled stamps, tools, papers etc, I always want what is furthest away from me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Isn't finding places for all our toys hard to do sometimes?

I have shelves mounted to the wall right next to my desk, because I'm like you - if I have to work too hard to find what I'm looking for... it's just to much work! I have found what works for me is to have all the things that I use the most often, all within reach of my desk. If I don't see it, I don't remember that I have it at times!

Here's my tips:

Tackle boxes are great ways to organize all the embellishments that you accumulate - or you can find clear plastic containers with dividers (I found some at Walmart in the craft section or on Oriental Trading for great prices - @ $2-3 for each box with @12 compartments). I have several of these that I put my all my metallic embellishments in.

I use heavy duty plastic magazine holders to store all my 8.5 x 11 papers - vertical storage is the way to go with papers, I think.

I have many plastic 3 drawer storage units (again from Walmart - pretty cheap) where I divide up my similar supplies. These storage units are sitting on top of each other on the floor up to my first shelf that is mounted on the wall. That way, it's all right next to my desk and all contained in one area - of course, I've branched out from there, but the things that I use the most are all in this area.

Each drawer is labeled and is filled with a variety of things. For instance, I have a drawer for each SU color family and this is where I put all my scraps - this works so well for me. I am always saving all my scraps, so it's very convenient and easy for me. I don't like to work too hard putting away my scraps - a lot of needless energy for scraps, I think. This way, if I'm looking for a piece of watercolor paper, I know to look in my "specialty" paper drawer.

I also have drawers that I've used to organize many of my non SU stamps. I add all my similar stamps or supplies together: for instance: flower punches, flower stamps, kid related stamps, animals, babies, word stamps, chalks, adhesives, etc.

This takes care of a lot of my supplies. That being said, I spent some time today in my room and I love that I know where everything belongs!

I think the key is to find something that works for you, that makes your supplies easily accessible and within reach, and easy to put away.

Good luck finding what works for you!

Happy cleaning!!
Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

My hubby built me a stamp pad/ribbon holder for the wall next to my stamping desk. It makes life so much easier. It also freed up some space in my rolling carts. I have two plastic 4 drawer rolling carts. They are organized by like items: punches, envelopes/stationary, ribbon/fiber, cutting templates, etc.
I also have several smaller drawered organized sitting on my desk or on the two shelves above my desk. They contain stickers, alphabets, metal embellishments, tags etc.
I also have a big square bookshelf type organizer from Target. It has 9 compartments. I bought doors for 3, fabric drawers for 3, and left three as open shelves. I keep my stamp sets, boxes of misc. stamps, and some other things on them.

I wish I had a room devoted to stamping. I share space in our master bedroom, which is large, but I'd rather not see all my craft stuff while I'm in my bed.

Jeanette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the store in style cubes and I use the tote-ally cool tote to keep some things on the desk I have little holders for all my brads and eyelets etc that stay in the store in styles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I also have a TON of those little 3 drawer Steralite things from WM. I have them lining the back of my stamping table (which is a large 8' buffet table) so that everything I use is right there in front of me. I also have a drawer thing that I got in the automotive section of WM, it has 8 larger drawers and a bunch of small ones. This hold all my embellishments (swirl clips, ribbon bows, anywhere hole punch, eyelet setter, metal rimmed tags, etc....)

Then I have vertical storage for my Bazzill paper and I have all my SU full sheets in a file drawer seperated by first family and then color, in the order of the catty. I keep my SU scraps in an accordian folder. I have 2 spots for each family, one holds half & quarter sheets and the other holds everything else. The neutrals each have 1 spot.

As for stamps I organize them by case size as well as (roughly) theme. I have my sentiments in one area, my flowers in another, Halloween, Christmas, etc... All my background stamps are lined up like books with the label right on the wood (no cases).

My ink spots are in 2 large background cases (soon to be 4 when I get the last craft set I need). 2 families fit nicely in one bkg case. Then since I only have about 6 or 7 full size pads so far, they are on a different shelf. My FIL is building me a wall unit for my refills, markers and ink pads I can't wait til that's done!

All this is in an "L" shape in the corner of our "office". Soon I will be re-doing everything with real cabinets and a whole wall bookshelf type deal to hold all my stamps and scrapbooks and such

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

One suggestion to create a little more space, is to store away your seasonal stamps; fall, christmas, graduation, easter, etc You are only going to use them during that time, those are stored in small to medium carry totes
My colored cardstock is organized alphabetically by color, and patterned
paers I use also for scrapping in a vertical storage rack. If you have a large room, it's nice to have separate tables for stamping, scrapping, cutter/die cutting equipment, embossing etc Good luck, we all seem to have so much stuff and not enough room or never organized enough Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a small space in my kitchen. I used to use cropper hopper cases and sorted embellishments by package, It was too much to look through when I wanted to use it. I scrapbook as well as make cards so I have a lot of embellishments. I recently got mason jars at the supermarket and started sorting by color. I found it much easier.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...8043&nocache=1

I sort my cardstock separately. 12x12 on shelves and 81/2x11 in hanging files in the closet.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=49383

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #9  
Hot Mess

we're supposed to sort the stuff???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have 3 book shelves for storage in my stampin/craft room I use cute baskets for punches, adhesives, misc..... looks cute and is organized. Yesterday I got a file cabinet on wheels that folds up, you can pull file out... from office max. I LOVE IT!!
Reply With Quote Likes