Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   How do you sort your cardstock? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-do-you-sort-your-cardstock-455617/)

Shopping Diva 08-25-2009 10:00 AM

How do you sort your cardstock?

I sorted mine by alpha order (the name of the cardstock..ex: barely bananna), but then when I told a couple of friends, they said they would of done it by color group.

So, just wondering how everyone else does it.

Thanks! :)

bettyjoanes 08-25-2009 10:03 AM

ROYGBIV is what a lot of scrapbookers use. Makes it easier to find.
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Then you can use Neutrals also.HTH !

stampin_heather 08-25-2009 10:03 AM

Mine are in hanging file folders by color family. I just used the Color Coach and organized that way.

SophieLaFontaine 08-25-2009 10:04 AM

By colour. In no particular order (well, but I guess it would be by chronological order of when I bought each colour - which for all practical purposes would be of no useful order). My paper is all PaperTrey's and almost no Stampin' Up!, so I have no colour groups.

ETA: Oh wait, I made my own colour groups: I put orange and black together (Halloween), and Scarlet Jewel and Ripe Avocado together (Christmas). Also, I put light pink (Sweet Blush) and dark pink (Hibiscus) together.

babydal57 08-25-2009 10:04 AM

My SU cardstock is sorted by color family. I store my ink pads that way so it made sense to me to store the cardstock the same way.

Bazzill is also sorted by color family according to their monochromatic sets and trios.

Papertrey Ink is not sorted at all, but each color has its own hanging folder.

sprtchick 08-25-2009 10:43 AM

I have an awesome lateral file for my su cardstock which each has a hanging file and is sorted by color family. I have another file cabinet with all the PTI colors sorted alphabetically. I have yet another cabinet with all the retired SU stuff and that drawer also has extra of neutrals and specialty cardstocks.
Love love love all the paper...not that is just two of the companies...lol
blessings.

mztamela 08-25-2009 11:00 AM

I have a shoe box with zip bags labled with half and quarter sheets in alphabetical order. I also have another shoe box with scraps (and a half sheet to help the bag stand). This way I can easily pull out the boxes to share when others come to play. I keep them side by side in a drawer in my file cabinet right next to my desk to use easily when I play alone.

My full sheets and packs I store by color group. It has worked great for me!

jennyleigh 08-25-2009 11:03 AM

I'm a ROYGBIV girl myself.

Ragtop 08-25-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 14971136)
I have an awesome lateral file for my su cardstock which each has a hanging file and is sorted by color family.

Mine are pretty much the same way. I have a three drawer lateral. Top drawer is the regular color families plus the first two years of retired In-Colors. The second drawer has last years In-Colors, retired colors (Mint Melody, Rose Romance, etc.), Metallics, a file of stamped images (really should go through that and either use them or pitch, them), Vellum, and non-SU cardstock sorted by type (i.e. textured, metallic, etc.) then color. My neutrals and current In-Colors are in folders in a desk top hanging file on a bookshelf.

My pattern papers are in a 12X12 rack that I got from a friend who was cleaning out her craft room and 2 6-drawer 12X12 storage units from JA.

I keep telling myself that I don't need anymore cardstock/paper but I never listen.:rolleyes:

geekgirl415 08-25-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyleigh (Post 14971236)

Me too- prettier to look at!

kathat 08-25-2009 11:54 AM

I haven't mingled my SU and PTI cardstocks yet.

My SU cardstock is arranged by color family and there's no rhyme or reason to my PTI cardstock. Neutrals are kept separate from colors and those are done by whites/creams/blacks/kraft.

c-mouse 08-25-2009 12:01 PM

Mine is in commercial paper trays, sorted by SU color family and generally two colors to a tray--it has two places to id it...I have created labels on the computer that give the family ( EE, RR, BB, SS) and then the name of the color, its order number and number of sheets that come in the pack since SU amounts differ..........Right now I have 30 trays and I think that is where I will draw the line. This is cardstock only now--my Designer Paper is in the 12x12 cropper hopper files and stays in its package but all the brown groups are together, the blues etc...you KWIM? I get really overwhelmed when I have too much stuff so I try to keep it reasonable though DH would probably disagree.

StampinHappyInCT 08-25-2009 12:05 PM

I have a two-drawer file cabinet. Within each drawer are hanging files labeled with the color. Within each hanging file are two separate file folders ... one for full sheets, and the other for scraps. I have my colors in alphabetical order. This system has worked great for me.

lauraos 08-25-2009 12:11 PM

I'm another ROYGBIV girl.

stamper1996 08-25-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57 (Post 14970920)
My SU cardstock is sorted by color family. I store my ink pads that way so it made sense to me to store the cardstock the same way.

Same here. I also have a neutrals and "specialty paper" section, which holds shimmery white paper, etc.

Allistamps123 08-25-2009 12:30 PM

Mine have no order at all. I have about 32 colors of SU, some of those are in-colors. I have never thought of grouping them and have never had trouble picking out colors. I did buy tabs for the folders from a great woman on e-bay who has taken the time to make tabs from all the colors SU has ever had and has typed the color name on them. They were only about $3.00. They are great! My inks are sorted by color.

Shopping Diva 08-25-2009 01:16 PM

I think I'm gonna go back and sort by color family. I have no idea why I didn't do this in the first place. Of course though, I keep all my PTI in a separate drawer in alpha order for now.

Thanks Girls!

luv2bamom99 08-25-2009 01:39 PM

I used to be a ROYGBIV girl. Now that I have cardstock from one company, I sort by color family.

Elisabeth64 08-25-2009 02:32 PM

Color family for me!

Inky Paws 08-26-2009 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyleigh (Post 14971236)

Me too! I do sort them by color group too.
I sort my clothes in the closet the same way. I have the name and a color sample in all of the file tabs to make it easy to find and pretty to look at!

Erin K 08-26-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathat (Post 14971638)
I haven't mingled my SU and PTI cardstocks yet.

My SU cardstock is arranged by color family and there's no rhyme or reason to my PTI cardstock. Neutrals are kept separate from colors and those are done by whites/creams/blacks/kraft.

This is exaclty what I have.

I have some Gina K too, I keep the Gina K, the PTI and the SU all seperate.

fionna51 08-26-2009 09:34 AM

By color groups for me.

DigitalStamper63 08-26-2009 12:07 PM

ROYGBIV for me.

Although I've been tossing around the idea of going back to sorting my CS by color families. I bought one of those Scrapbook Essentials paper storage towers with the dust cover and am having second thoughts about keeping it and possibly doing the file storage style of sorting my papers. My hubby would kill me if I did that. That paper tower wasn't cheap without using a coupon.

akstampmama 08-26-2009 01:10 PM

I have my paper sorted by SU color families. They are in the 8 1/2 x 11 upright paper holders from SU. Right now I have 2 color familes in each one with a divider inbetween. On the front of the holder I pasted the color chart for each. I Just cut out each list from an old catalog (the column on the page where you can order the ink & cardstock). It helps me and my customers know for sure which color you are grabbing.

polargirl 08-27-2009 09:17 PM

I keep my cs in rainbow order, then if I'm looking for browns etc, I only have to look in one place. I keep my cs in vertical file holders. I got mine on sale on-line from Joanns, made by Cropper Hopper. I did purchase a few extra dividers from SU. I can keep up to 6-7 packs of SU paper in each vertical file. I like to be able to see the cs colors at a glance. I have a large closet (daughter moved out) with the doors taken off in my stamp room so this system works for me. In my old small space my cs was really jumbled and a mess, now I mostly have SU cs which makes it easier for me to be organized. Hanging folders sound like a good idea for a smaller space. I wish I had done it in my old space, oh well...

Momofoneson 08-27-2009 10:37 PM

I have most of it by color group, but I keep my SU cardstock in it's family group since I like to match it.

2manycookbooks 08-27-2009 10:59 PM

My darlin DH made hanging files with typed labels. They are in order by alpha.

elegant eggplant is under E. Etc. It's WONDERFUL.

stamphappy1650 08-28-2009 04:07 AM

I store my SU cardstock and DSP in the SU paper holders by color family

Other 8 1/3 x 11 cardstock and printer paper in wooden paper sorter racks by color familieis (reds, pinks, rose, etc)

12 x12 in stacking Display Dynamics racks. I sort them by colors. I separate the printed from the plain by putting in dividers with labels (yellow solid/yellow printed, etc.).

kerryj106 08-28-2009 04:21 AM

I store mine in hanging files so I wouldn't be able to see it if I filed it by colour. I file alphabetically.

Kristin Moore 08-28-2009 04:28 AM

I have large file folders for each SU color family in my filing cabinet. Every now and then I'll order them within those folders the way SU has them in the catalog because they are prettier that way, but it doesn't last. The ROYGBIV theory sounds pretty too, but I'm afraid I may lose my knack of knowing exactly which color is in which family and that is something my customers rely on.

Paper Kissy 08-28-2009 07:23 AM

Inky Paws, I love that pic, it's my new inspiration for making my file folders :)

Erin

IdahoLee 08-28-2009 08:46 AM

alphabetically for me. i did it in color families for awhile, but alpha made it much quicker for me to find what i was looking for.

DCinkit 08-28-2009 09:00 AM

I store my cardstock in hanging files. I have always, always stored my SU! cardstock by color families - Bold Brights, Earth Elements, etc... Now, I am ready to resort & store my cardstock by colors - reds, blues, pinks, etc.. I have hanging file tabs ready to go for each color. So, all I need is time! After reading this thread, I'm thinking I'll try to arrange those color groups by the rainbow. It would be pretty to look at. Thanks for the idea!

Aunt PP 08-28-2009 04:42 PM

I have mine filed alphabetically and devised an inexpensive way to store them. I bought a box of multi-colored file folders and a plastic file folder container from Office Max. I used the red folders for Bold Brights, the green folders for Earth Elements, the blue folders for Rich regals and the yellow folders for Soft Subtles. The file folders even have built-in pockets inside for the scraps - must have been designed by a woman!!

For designer paper, I use the Cropper Hopper Paper Holders with the CH Paper Envelopes. I attach a self-adhesive business card holder to the upper right-hand corner of the envelope (under the flap) and then I print labels on cardstock on my computer to slip into the bc holder. When the DP gets used up, I replace the label with a new one for the new pack of DP I just have to have. I also list the coordinating cardstock colors on the label (great for Stampin' Up DP). HTH

Luciesfloozies 08-28-2009 06:45 PM

I sort my SU cardstock in hanging files by color group.
My PTI & Gina K also have their own folder.

My 12x12 DP is in a large tote separated by name (SU,Creative Memories & Misc.)

My scraps are in large ziplock bags in alphabetical order by color, standing up in a small Sterlite container to the left of my work space.

However, all of my SU ink pads are arranged by colors in the tower thingy.

Today I bought another rolling cart (5 drawer), so I've rearranged all my stamps again. I can't believe I've got 13 drawers of stamps!!

Londonblue 08-28-2009 08:23 PM

I only have SU cardstock and I store it in plastic file boxes (they have lids and can stack) in alphabetical order.

stargazeramy 08-28-2009 10:42 PM

I do the ROYGBIV method as well, I find it easiest to find the colour Im looking for that way :") I think it looks nice and rainbow-y that way too !! :D