Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #41  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
I
There are so many cards uploaded every day I figure any comments are good comments. After all it does take time to comment to click the thumbnail wait for it to load type in your response and then click back three times or use the little pull down thingy. I usually use multiple tabs in firefox with the cards at 90 per page in order to get to view everything. So if you are someone that is discouraged don't give up!
Try this:
Here's a quick tip that makes it faster and it works anywhere on the web as far as I know.

When your bringing up the card from the thumbnail, hold down your shift key, click on the thumbnail and it'll come up in a seperate window. This give you a little more lead way on time for commenting but I would keep it to about three windows open at one time so it doesn't slow down both SCS and your own system.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tend to be one of those who uses WOW - lots of times I check the gallery out before I go to work & I want to look at several cards. When I have the time & go into detail - it's usually what drew me to click on it - the colors, placement, and there are times when I can't see it very well & want a close-up view.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Well, you can interpret such comments many different ways, but, I usually don't try to read between the lines and tend to accept a comment by reading exactly what's written.

When I comment about something specific, it's usually a detail that really I found clever-- something I otherwise hadn't considered doing myself, or that gave the project a unique touch in some way that set it apart, whether it's use of ribbon, embellishment, layout, color combo, etc.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
I
There are so many cards uploaded every day I figure any comments are good comments. After all it does take time to comment to click the thumbnail wait for it to load type in your response and then click back three times or use the little pull down thingy. I usually use multiple tabs in firefox with the cards at 90 per page in order to get to view everything. So if you are someone that is discouraged don't give up!

I right click on the card & "open new window" to save time. You can open a ton of new windows & leave coments without ever having to leave the page you are on the the gallery!
Hope that Helps
Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
You know you can click on their user name and find there gallery in the drop down box.
The option to search for a gallery is always there, if they don't have one you'll get a gallery page without thumbnails/photos.

Yes, that is the link I'm talking about. In my gallery, when I try to use what you described, sometimes it works just fine. Other times, nothing drops down at all. On some of the cards I have in my gallery, no problem getting the drop down. When I do have the problem, it is for everyone who has commented on that particular card. (It has happened on a few of my cards lately.) I tried to email someone in charge. I'm not sure if they actually received my email or not. It has to be some kind of a glitch.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #46  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
Yes, that is the link I'm talking about. In my gallery, when I try to use what you described, sometimes it works just fine. Other times, nothing drops down at all. On some of the cards I have in my gallery, no problem getting the drop down. When I do have the problem, it is for everyone who has commented on that particular card. (It has happened on a few of my cards lately.) I tried to email someone in charge. I'm not sure if they actually received my email or not. It has to be some kind of a glitch.
The next time you have a problem pay attention to the size of the window. You can't use this feature unless the window is at full screen! They usually come up minimized. Hope that helps!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

I am guilty of sometimes posting short comments if I am in the middle of something and the gallery is running slow. Other times I have some extra time and go in to just look at the gallery and post longer comments. I am sure that I have never posted an a. because I do not know what that means. If I open one to look, I try to always post a comment so that people do know that I not only looked, I liked what I saw. There are many cards in the gallery that have lots of looks but very few post. That has to make the creator wonder if they liked it after they had a closer look. I have tried to increase the number of postings that I make to the gallery because i feel that we should offer support and encouragement to fellow SCS's. I hope others make a commitment to post more often. It is such a little thing, yet it can mean so much.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

I probably go overboard in my comments but I love the different styles that crafters have on this site and I will take 3 sentences to say it if I need to. Cute and Wow works for me sometimes, but I like to say specifically what I appreciate about the card. I don't think it's stretching to leave a comment, I think it's showing that I've really taken the time to look at the card and noticed the work in it. I'm also guilty of exclamation overboard!!!!!!!! Sorry if that's not cool, just my over the top enthusiasm!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

oh and I don't care if I get cutes or wows on my own cards, (just glad to have them viewed!) everyone has a different style of expression and time issues!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #50  
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVE COMMENTS!!!! ANY COMMENTS! And, I have to be honest, I may have said, I love your color choices in a color challenge but I don't always read the description, I just ooh and ahh over the card design itself. Some people may not even know what a color challenge is but they love the card and the colors did catch their eye first.

Remember, you can make a ugly blue card that nobody will comment on or a gorgeous blue card that will make someone click and comment, even if it's just "I love the colors!" It's most likely more than just the colors.

Go to my gallery and comment on anything you'd like. I will be so happy and thankful! I'll even do a cartwheel.
Gina

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

When and IF I start a gallery, I don't think WoW or Beautiful would upset me in the least. It means someone took the time to not only look at my card up close but acutally post (and of course wait for the post to go through) on it. Anything more than that would be icing on the cake!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I like to find an aspect to comment on, even though there may be many things about a card I like. Now I will continue doing just that. It sounds like nearly everyone understands how difficult it is to point out everything we like about a design. And if I don't have much time, and just say "nice card", that will be understood as well!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Happy with all comments......

I'm happy with all comments. Everyone on Splitcoast is so kind and gracious.
Aside from that....
I *was* surprised during the last VSN by one comment telling me how to improve my card. It's not that her suggestion wasn't accurate.... she was quite right! It was just the first time I had received a suggestion without my asking for feedback. And, during VSN it's hard to stick to the time schedule.
John 3:16
Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

Wink I am on cloud nine

I am thrilled to have a little gallery and to have gotten views and comments. One word or more than that....I am just thrilled. I have received so much support from this website, for finally getting up the guts to start a gallery, that seriously the whole world looks different to me!!
I hope my comments are ok, I try hard to say thoughtful, meaningful things. But, now wonder if I could be wording things in a better way. I just thought if I took the time to jot a note, the person was thinking good things about the message?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Don't Worry! Be Happy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
.....I hope my comments are ok, I try hard to say thoughtful, meaningful things. But, now wonder if I could be wording things in a better way. I just thought if I took the time to jot a note, the person was thinking good things about the message?
According to everyone here, we love to receive each and every comment. But, chatting online often produces introspection.... should I have said it differently? ....could I have said it better? I think the general consensus here is to say it in your own style and the recipient will be totally happy!
John 3:16
Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

I know we talked about this a week ago, but there is the one lady that's left 3 IDENTICAL comments.. i know that she's just copying and pasting her comments.... SO RUDE!!

she "types" this:

"Lookin' good... Great layout!!! Love the colors!!!"
Old 08-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

I only comment on cards that really knock my socks off. I generally write a short comment about the most appealing thing about it. I would never comment on a card where I had to work to find something I liked about it.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

I do the same.. If i like a card i will comment on the thing i like about it, not just cut and paste some generic comment. oh well....
Old 08-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Gosh...my thoughts are that this thread is going to make folks "not" leave comments. I look at the gallery everyday - I try to leave a positive comment for every pic I open. Some comments are short and sweet, some more involved. My thoughts are that everyone would love a positive comment - if someone takes the time to make a comment, be proud and happy about it!!!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 08-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdas
Often when I make comments I will point out a specific thing I like about the card ..."I like the color choices", "the layout is great for this set", etc......

It certainly does not mean that is all I like - just trying not to get too long, or trying to point out something that has not been mentioned by someone else.

My question is - when you get a comment like this, do you feel maybe the person commenting is trying hard to find something to like, or does not like the other things about the card? I don't want to give a wrong impression with comments.
Nope! About the only comment I'd be offended by is "this card totally stinks!" LOL!!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

I love 'em all! Long short, descriptive, general. Gives me a little thrill every time. Say what every you like-- I'm always glad to have a visitor to my gallery!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #62  
Gabfest Goddess

Even if they are copied and pasted I am so appreciative if a comment is left.

It kind of makes me sad that someone would think any positive comment is rude, no matter how unoriginal it is. It makes me want to not leave comments so as not to offend people that they aren't long and descriptive.

But as for me, my heart jumps everytime I see the number below my card go higher and I can't wait to see what it says. I love ANY comment and it thrills me that people look at my pitiful little gallery.

I'll keep leaving comments for now, and hopefully people will appreciate that I liked their card, rather than be offended that the comment was short.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I try to comment on what has not been commented upon(Hmm maybe that is why my comments are so clear and easy to understand)
so if the first five comments are great use of color, then I will fall back on great layout or I admire your use of eyelets.

Also I think a lot of us are guilty of "shopping" in the gallery for an idea or inspiration without leaving comments Or without leaving TIME for comments. If I need a quick sympathy card or am on the way to stamp club with one set and five minutes., then I will pop in with a quick search on sympathy or set of the day and just suck up five ideas and hop off. That doesn't mean your card isn't fabulous, but that my time is not my own...this is certainly not an excuse but maybe helps to explain...

Thanks to all the talented and sharing gallery artists..
betsy
Old 08-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
Even if they are copied and pasted I am so appreciative if a comment is left.

It kind of makes me sad that someone would think any positive comment is rude, no matter how unoriginal it is. It makes me want to not leave comments so as not to offend people that they aren't long and descriptive.

But as for me, my heart jumps everytime I see the number below my card go higher and I can't wait to see what it says. I love ANY comment and it thrills me that people look at my pitiful little gallery.

I'll keep leaving comments for now, and hopefully people will appreciate that I liked their card, rather than be offended that the comment was short.
Very well said! I agree 110%!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 08-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

I try to leave a more detailed comment, but sometimes, i've seen a project that has my mouth gaping open. I think, WOW! And that is what I write. Sometimes that's all i can say! maybe next time I'll say, WOW, this has rendered me speechless!
KWIM about those projects that are just so utterly stunning?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap
I try to leave a more detailed comment, but sometimes, i've seen a project that has my mouth gaping open. I think, WOW! And that is what I write.
That is exactly how I feel, some cards just have that "WOW Factor".
I've also commented about color combinations and layouts myself; I don't always get to a card via today's gallery postings and may not have picked up on the fact that the card was a color or layout challenge but boy I really liked those colors and that layout, that is not to say I didn't like how the whole card worked.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybee
My take on this is that if you clicked on it and took time to make a comment, you like the card. Your specific comment is your way of taking the time to tell the person exactly what drew your eye to the card (and I think it's a very good idea - it's better to have specific feedback). If you didn't like a card, why would you wait for it to load up and make ANY comment?

(when I say "you" I mean "anyone"...)
Ditto! Totally agree. I even get excited about people even looking, comments are gravy.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #68  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Hey, any comment is appreciated!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #69  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Default Compliments ofcourse-not criticism.

Lots of times I put wow, or love the color combo. From me it is a compliment. It is hard to come up with different comments. I cringe when I see a great card that has been viewed 300 times and has 5 comments. It is my belief that if I like a card well enough to copy or put in my favorites-then it is a card that I should compliment. To me, the person who took the time to post it so I can get a new idea deserves a comment. I am not a person of many words, but I do try to leave a short comment and it is meant as a compliment. I have dial up internet and it is very slow so it takes me a lot of time to leave comments, but I feel these great cards that you all share deserve the time it takes me to leave a comment. If I do not have time to make a note when viewing-I try to go back later to leave my comment.

I,on the other hand, have thought that my cards aren't good enough to post when no one has a comment and I have had many that had none or very few. I think you can take the comments as a compliment and not criticism. I try not to take it personally, but sometimes the inferiority complex kicks in.

Please continue to share your work with others-I appreciate seeing other peoples ideas and artistic skills.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

I design for Blue Knight Rubber Stamps.
F4A Hostess
Old 08-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #70  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobi
I know we talked about this a week ago, but there is the one lady that's left 3 IDENTICAL comments.. i know that she's just copying and pasting her comments.... SO RUDE!!
I'm not normally the type to give people the benefit of the doubt , but perhaps she's not good at typing? Or typing hurts her hands or something. I don't know as I don't know who this is - can't remember seeing that particular comment on any of my cards - but there might be a valid reason.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #71  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I'm not normally the type to give people the benefit of the doubt , but perhaps she's not good at typing? Or typing hurts her hands or something. I don't know as I don't know who this is - can't remember seeing that particular comment on any of my cards - but there might be a valid reason.
Very good point, I'm one of those people that has problems with hands/legs/back/shoulders, you get the message...and many times I just can't type out those comments. Thanks for understanding!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #72  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by llevans
Gosh...my thoughts are that this thread is going to make folks "not" leave comments. I look at the gallery everyday - I try to leave a positive comment for every pic I open. Some comments are short and sweet, some more involved. My thoughts are that everyone would love a positive comment - if someone takes the time to make a comment, be proud and happy about it!!!
That is completely my opinion. I love to leave as many comments as I can. When I think of the work that goes into each and every card I make and that every day's gallery is chock full of work that has taken as long, or longer, the least I can do is try to leave a few comments, especially if there are only a few comments on the card. I have found that there is always something that catches my eye on a card.
Threads like this one can often leave newbies with a negative attitude about posting their work to a gallery, but I would say please carry on posting, most of us love to look at and comment on your work! And most of us love to receive any comment however short or generic, it doesn't matter you took time out of your day to look at and comment on my card and for that I for one am extremely grateful!

Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

I look at so many cards, I can't comment on them all. I think that if someone views a card, it's as good as a comment, because there was something about it that caught their eye. However, when I do comment, I do it with encouragement in mind, trying to let the person know what I really liked about their art.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #74  
Kookie Creator

I'm very newly "active" in the site - my Gallery is about a week old. I have gotten some really nice comments on my cards (which I am grateful for - thanks!). I've been trying to return the favor and comment on new cards being uploaded. But I have to say its a little overwhelming - how many cards, pages and altered items there are! I would love to comment more, I know how improtant it is to get encouragement - especially when someone is just starting out - but goodness - I just cant.

That said, when I do comment I try to mention something specific that I liked.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #75  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I agree, I view, "a view", as a comment. If someone takes the time to even open up the card to see a larger view, that is as good as a comment to me...and if they write something, great!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

I have typed the same comment in on a few cards, for example, I may have written, "Wow! I really love this card! Thanks so much for sharing!" I may have said this many times because that's what I thought when I looked at it. Doesn't that sound like a compliment to you? I wouldn't be hurt at all if I saw that comment on six of my cards.

I wouldn't read anything negative into a one word compliment. If I come into the bedroom and my husband looks at me, smiles and says, "Wow." You can be sure we aren't going to have a discussion about the amount of words in his sentence. Take the compliment and enjoy! If they didn't think it was great, they wouldn't have taken the time to say anything.
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 PM   #77  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I'm not sure how identical the comments were, but I'm sure if you looked at all of my comments all at once you'd think I just copied and pasted about twelve different responses to all the beautiful cards I get to see. I have a definite structure to my comments in order to help me make as many as possible to show my appreciation to the fine uploaders in the gallery.

(If I said this before in this thread, I apologise -- musta been a while ago if I did.)
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #78  
Failed Lurker

Didn't recognise you there, Mel! Who is that?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm so sorry - some cards just pop out at me and all I can say is "WOW" the colors are spectacular. Can't help it if I only have a few minutes to sneak onto the gallery and check out some cards - I don't always have time to follow through and see what CC57 (or whatever) was. If I take the time to comment at all, your card made an impression on me! And some cards I don't come across till months after they were first posted. So I say, if the words you read are positive, be thankful! I know I will be when I finally have the time to walk through the upload process.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BsmtScrapper
I love 'em all! Long short, descriptive, general. Gives me a little thrill every time. Say what every you like-- I'm always glad to have a visitor to my gallery!
Me too!!