Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default How do you react to this type of comment...

Often when I make comments I will point out a specific thing I like about the card ..."I like the color choices", "the layout is great for this set", etc......

It certainly does not mean that is all I like - just trying not to get too long, or trying to point out something that has not been mentioned by someone else.

My question is - when you get a comment like this, do you feel maybe the person commenting is trying hard to find something to like, or does not like the other things about the card? I don't want to give a wrong impression with comments.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am finding (more from reading how others think) that generally most people appreciate any comment at all! I know in another thread some spoke of whether a simple "wow" or "nice card" was a cop-out type comment etc. But most everyone said that they appreciate all comments. I think when people try to pick out specific things to comment on it is just their way of saying what really stood out for them. I know for myself...since I am so new at uploading pictures, I love ALL comments. And it is sort of nice to see what someone else might like about a card that maybe I didnt quite think hit the mark. Maybe I wasnt crazy on the layout but someone else comes along and says.."wow! love the layout on this card" Makes me look at my own work in a new light too. KWIM?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

My take on this is that if you clicked on it and took time to make a comment, you like the card. Your specific comment is your way of taking the time to tell the person exactly what drew your eye to the card (and I think it's a very good idea - it's better to have specific feedback). If you didn't like a card, why would you wait for it to load up and make ANY comment?

(when I say "you" I mean "anyone"...)
Old 08-06-2006, 04:23 AM   #4  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love all comments, good or indifferent. I also appreciate views! Sometimes people are guests and cannot leave a comment. If someone takes the time to actually LOOK at one of my cards, I'm happy!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 AM   #5  
Mrs. Incredible

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy
I also appreciate views! Sometimes people are guests and cannot leave a comment.
Good point. I often forget that not everyone is a registered member and can leave comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2006, 04:47 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is a very good point about the views. I confess that I sometimes go in for a closer look but don't leave a comment because everyone before me has already said what I was going to say. Especially when there are five pages, I view and go. Hope this is not terribly bad etiquette.

I usually try to go with a specific commment, but sometimes WOW is really the comment and compliment!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybee
My take on this is that if you clicked on it and took time to make a comment, you like the card. Your specific comment is your way of taking the time to tell the person exactly what drew your eye to the card
Yep, that's the way I do it too.

-Theresa
Old 08-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have received comments like that before and I have never ever thought that they were trying hard to find something they liked about the card, lol!!! I didnt think anything at all about it except YAY, someone liked my card!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

The only comment I don't like is a .

I have had a few people that left a . as their comment...I am choosing to believe it was a Gallery Hiccup! LOL

If you don't like the "love the colors" type of comment I am in big trouble cause I always try to point out something that caught my eye about the thumbnail when I clicked on it for a better view!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

As I've said before I love most comments, but the "I love the colors" on a Color Combo Challenge sort of seems silly to me. Or "great LO" on a sketch challenge. KWIM? It just tells me that the person didn't read the title or description of the card (at least my cards, cuz I always note if it's a challenge card). I know, some people don't know about the challenges, but I guess I think it would be obvious if 30 cards in a row in the gallery are using the same 3 colors or same LO.

But don't let that discourage anyone from leaving comments I really do appreciate that people take the time to look closer.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Usually, I comment on exactly what attracted me to the card. The color combo, the mix of stamps, etc.

When I'm in a hurry, but see a card I love, I say less. But, I want the person to know that I saw the card and liked it! If I take the time to look at the card and if I like it, I leave some sort of comment.

When someone comments in my gallery, I know that they liked it enough to click on it and comment. That's all the validation I need!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:56 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

And one of the things I love about people leaving ANY TYPE OF COMMENT is that I then have a link to their gallery and can go see what they do and leave them a happy note!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

usually my comments are what attracted me to the card, if i like the colors, that's what i say ?! if you have constructive criticism, i appreciate that too. i am brand new to posting, i only have 4 cards, but the fact some one looked makes me feel appreciated and validated.(does this make sense to you?) i can't explain it very well, but my comment is usually why i stopped,and why i looked. if i laughed, i tell them i laughed, if it reminds me of grandma and tears well in my eyes, i say that as well. not necessarily is it on construction, but sometimes on emotion.

jan
Old 08-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm an offender of the color combo thing! LOL!!! While I realize color challenges exist, sometimes it can make all the difference on which color was used for the background, then which for the layers, etc. KWIM?? I am color challenged - give me a combination of 3 colors to put together and believe me I won't get anything remotely pretty! So yes....I do say "love the color combo" in my comments. I have good intentions of doing some of the challenges just to improve this skill.

When I am going thru the gallery and a card catches my eye, when I open it up, I'm going to take a few minutes and let the artist know I was there and enjoyed the art. I don't leave long comments, just generally something like "beautiful or so pretty" - just enough to say I appreciate them uploading their work to SCS!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 08-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I actually like a more specific type of comment better than something general like- nice card, or pretty. I think every card has something that makes it special so I usually point out what drew me in to look at it a little closer.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with others who have posted that if you take the time to open a card, of course you like it. I always try to comment on the specific thing that drew me to the card. But when I receive comments, a "wow" or "great card" makes me just as happy as something detailed. I'd never think that someone with a detailed comment is finding that detail the only redeeming quality of a card. Why comment at all if you have to think about it that much, kwim?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by llevans
I'm an offender of the color combo thing! LOL!!! While I realize color challenges exist, sometimes it can make all the difference on which color was used for the background, then which for the layers, etc. KWIM?? I am color challenged - give me a combination of 3 colors to put together and believe me I won't get anything remotely pretty! So yes....I do say "love the color combo" in my comments. I have good intentions of doing some of the challenges just to improve this skill.
Oh I understand Personally, I would say "I love how you used the colors." rather than "I love the colors" It's semantics I know, but sometimes wording makes a HUGE difference.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I view and comment on cards that jump out at me. That means whatever I say, I really like/love that card.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:17 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdas
Often when I make comments I will point out a specific thing I like about the card ..."I like the color choices", "the layout is great for this set", etc......

It certainly does not mean that is all I like - just trying not to get too long, or trying to point out something that has not been mentioned by someone else.

My question is - when you get a comment like this, do you feel maybe the person commenting is trying hard to find something to like, or does not like the other things about the card? I don't want to give a wrong impression with comments.
Not at all -- quite the opposite, in fact! It tells me that you took the time to look at my card and say something specific about it that drew your attention and prompted you to click on it!

In my design studio classes, saying "I like it" about a design decision or a classmate's work during a critique was never enough for my professors. They'd immediately ask WHY! I had that drilled into me enough times that I can't leave a gallery comment without elaborating and saying exactly what it is that I like, LOL!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I prefer not to be suspicious of people's motives of what they say or don't say regarding a card I make or a card they looked at on this site. I take comments on my own cards at face value just hoping they are pleased, are benefitting in some way. Though I haven't up loaded any cards (don't know how yet) the ones i give to people are received in lots of ways. I know they aren't always perfect but I did the best I could at the time. Sometimes we take things just a bit too personal instead of just getting on with what we enjoy doing. Don't like the co-dependant stuff even when it has to do with my artwork.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face

Speaking for myself - I have a limited amount of time to cruise the gallery. I try to keep my comments quick so that I can get through the gallery.

If a thumbprint catches my eye, I always go in a leave a comment. That comment is usually the reason it caught my eye. The color combo, the layout, or whatever that made that card stand out. I also like to quick glance for cards that have 0 comments or very few. I look at them first and make sure I leave a comment.

In the past, I used to put the cards I liked into my favorites and then leave a comment later. But I realized that we all like to have immediate recognition for work well done. So now, if I am putting the card into my favorites, I take a minute or two to tell the creator why I put it into my favorites.

So, that being said, I have over 500 cards in my favorites. I better spend the rest of the day making sure I have left comments on those cards.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
Oh I understand Personally, I would say "I love how you used the colors." rather than "I love the colors" It's semantics I know, but sometimes wording makes a HUGE difference.
Slight thread hijack here....I love your gallery and use it for inspiration all the time - my favorite card I ever posted was inspired by you!
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=291331&cat=500&ppuser=772
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 08-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I leave the same type of compliment because I want to be specific. Usually the cards that catch my eye are color combinations, so I frequently comment on that.
What I hate is when someone just says:
cute
TFS
Nice

I feel like they're only posting to raise up their post number. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it feels like.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I ususally say what struck me about the card....
This card popped out at me because....
I usually am looking at layout ideas, so will comment on the use of the space, how the person added this to the right or that to the left, .....
The use of texture is also, my big thing, so if they added mesh, or twine, or background stamp features, that is a biggie for me.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #25  
PAPER SCAPER

I never read what someone else has left for a comment to determine what I should say. What do I care what they thought; it's what I like that I want the creator to know I appreciate.

I have seen all kinds of cards using the same colors or layout and when one just stands out above the rest I say “you used the colors/layout well”. Let's face it some people can do wonders with what I or the next person is struggling with. That’s why their challenges! And that’s why we have to look back on for reference.
A slight highjack here:
The only time I have difficultly commenting is when a card is linked to a challenge and it’s nothing the challenge is asking for. The sketch is obvious to see so why keep changing it. If there is no blue in the color challenge why is the card linked - mainly blue. Is that what they refer to as a comment hog?

I do appreciate any comment made no matter the length of it. A simple Beautiful, Great Card, Terrific, means I took the time to comment and now I have to get on with life, but just wanted you to know that I was here!

If people are going to get picky about the type of comment made we will be seeing less and less of them in the gallery for fear they’ll say the wrong thing. So I say any comment you make is wonderful, terrific, great job!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I always leave a comment if I open up a card. I hope I have never unintentionally left a .
I tend to be long winded and leave several sentences, including colors, stamps, etc. I am much better at telling people what I like about their cards than I am at designing my own. I must admit it is pretty depressing to see that a card you uploaded got 27 views, and no comments.
I am trying to make comments for anyone nice enough to leave me a comment, but the link to their gallery doesn't always work, so it sometimes takes a while. I also like to look for cards that may have been overlooked and leave comments for their designer. I can always find things that I like!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #27  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I always leave a comment if I open up a card. I hope I have never unintentionally left a .
I tend to be long winded and leave several sentences, including colors, stamps, etc. I am much better at telling people what I like about their cards than I am at designing my own. I must admit it is pretty depressing to see that a card you uploaded got 27 views, and no comments.
I am trying to make comments for anyone nice enough to leave me a comment, but the link to their gallery doesn't always work, so it sometimes takes a while. I also like to look for cards that may have been overlooked and leave comments for their designer. I can always find things that I like!
You know you can click on their user name and find there gallery in the drop down box.
The option to search for a gallery is always there, if they don't have one you'll get a gallery page without thumbnails/photos.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

I generally leave weird comments like that when I feel like the card deserves something more than "good card"

I feel like I am going the extra mile trying to describe why I like the card, rather than just saying I like the card. I hope it doesn't seem like I am trying hard to figure out anything nice to say.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I sometimes just leave a cute, nice, or wow comment. My time to look at the gallery is limited, so if I leave any comment, it means that something on the card caught my attention enough to take a better look at it first, then it was enough for me to leave a comment. I can't possibly comment on every card that I have in My Favorites or every card at all. Not that my comments are anything special, but if someone receives a comment from me, it means something stood out enough to actually leave a comment!

I know the color and sketch challenges exist, but don't pay a lot of attention to them in general. I'll notice a bunch of cards being uploaded with the same sketch design more than I'll notice a bunch with the same colors. If I comment on "nice colors" and it happens to be a color challenge card, it usually means that I liked something on the card other than the colors enough to leave a comment. Again, limited time in a busy day to view the gallery at all, so any comments left means that there was something special about the card and I had enough time to comment on it.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybee
My take on this is that if you clicked on it and took time to make a comment, you like the card. Your specific comment is your way of taking the time to tell the person exactly what drew your eye to the card (and I think it's a very good idea - it's better to have specific feedback). If you didn't like a card, why would you wait for it to load up and make ANY comment?

(when I say "you" I mean "anyone"...)
I agree with kellybee. There is something that drew my attention to the card and I click on the thumbnail to see all the details. It may be the colors, the layout, or maybe I just bought the stamp set and like what the person made. Or just a general "WOW" because you love everything about it!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

It only takes another 10 seconds or so to type out "Interesting way to use that embellishment" or "the torn edge adds the perfect touch to this design" and gives the artist an idea of what is working well so that they can continue to improve as a stamper!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I've "WOW'd" cards and Great card and nice card because I simply think it is. I've repeated exactly what others said because it's what I honestly feel. I appreciate any comment I get. I'm sure it doesn't bother others, but 0 comments on my cards bum me out.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't believe that you should have to say more than nice card or cute. I go through and click on the thumbnails that catch my attention. I us Firefox so I go through all the thumbnails and make tabs then go and look at each tab & try to leave some kind of comment. It could be I just need 1 word to say what I think about the card. Some times there isn't something specific, like color or layout that I like.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with whoever said that I love all comments I'll take what I get...LOL
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=laurakj]As I've said before I love most comments, but the "I love the colors" on a Color Combo Challenge sort of seems silly to me. Or "great LO" on a sketch challenge. KWIM? It just tells me that the person didn't read the title or description of the card (at least my cards, cuz I always note if it's a challenge card). I know, some people don't know about the challenges, but I guess I think it would be obvious if 30 cards in a row in the gallery are using the same 3 colors or same LO.QUOTE]

Until yesterday I had no idea what challenges were or what they entailed so when i saw cards with CC83 or whatever I was confused and left a comment cause i thought the card was nice. if i don't like a card, i don't comment, if i like a card, i comment. True, i've only been here a week or two, but that's the way i work. and.... i really do appreciate ANY comment i get.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Like everyone else, I love comments. I leave some that say, love the color, love the set, what ever. It is because when you first look at some things, it just jumps out at you or you really like it!

It is a very meaningful comment, I think, to acknowledge and point out details.

Just my 2 cents worth!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

i pretty much agree with what everyone has said, with the general consensus being that every comment is appreciated, no matter how brief. of course we all enjoy the detailed, longer ones. but you know, if someone thinks a card i've made is beautiful and just says that one word, well, that's a pretty great compliment when you think about it. i know how very time consuming it is to view all these cards and leave comments. sometimes i would love to take longer and see more and comment more, but i also want some time to actually 'stamp'. lol! so if someone takes the time to be more specific, i'm very grateful.

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I tend to state "Beatiful, Wow, Awesome" when I am limited for time. I all so do make comments on specific area's of the card. 'Nice layout, love the colors, Love the embelishments" and so on. I really don't think there are people out there that have time to "Make up" comments. People tend to click on a card that grabs thier attention. I would Love any comment on any of my cards. It means the card caught someones attention. A "Beautiful, Nice, Great, Wow" Is all that it takes to brighten my day!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdas

I would never take it that way. they took the time to look at it and really whatever they say is good. I think even when they make suggestions is great thats what this list is about learning and sharing.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I generally try to leave a specific comment about what I like. It helps me realize what I like in designs, colors, etc... So hopefully when I'm creating some of that will seep through my subconcious. There are some times where I just plain like a card and can't explain why. That's when they get the nice card, beautiful, and nice work comments from me.

There are so many cards uploaded every day I figure any comments are good comments. After all it does take time to comment to click the thumbnail wait for it to load type in your response and then click back three times or use the little pull down thingy. I usually use multiple tabs in firefox with the cards at 90 per page in order to get to view everything. So if you are someone that is discouraged don't give up!

Sometimes it baffles me as to what cards are popular because they don't appeal to me at all. I think that some of what gets comments depends upon content. I've seen some beautiful asian cards on here with very few comments. Not because they aren't good but perhaps because they don't fit most individuals tastes. In my humble opinion in the end the most important thing is that the final recipient of the card enjoys it and feels loved because I took the time to make it for them. I'm lucky because I have a few people I send cards to that truly enjoy them. That reminds me I should send a couple off to them.