Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   How do you pick a SU demo? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-do-you-pick-su-demo-167314/)

craftyteaspoon 07-21-2006 06:59 AM

How do you pick a SU demo?

I need a SU demo so I went to the SU website. It gave me some names but I don't know which one to pick. How do you decide who to contact? Would it be considered rude to email and ask questions? Like tell them what I'm looking for in a demo (not pushy to have a class or join up is the biggie for me)? I feel odd about it because I know I will not be a huge customer, just things here and there.

My friend was a demo but quit and I strongly :twisted: do not like the personality of the person she buys through. One class with that woman left me with NO interest in SU until I found this site.:D

Sereikastamper 07-21-2006 07:03 AM

NOPE!!! Email them ask as many questions attend some functions of each then decide who you like.....it is your money and you should ALWAYS spend it with the person who you like doing business with! :)

PolarBear 07-21-2006 07:05 AM

Definitely ask them questions! Plus, if you have the option, meet each one in person. Look at their samples, see if they offer downline meetings, etc. Sometimes it just comes down to personality and how well you get along.

gmcbunny 07-21-2006 07:06 AM

If they are on SCS you could check out their gallery too.

stamper4armyman 07-21-2006 07:06 AM

I would either call and speak with them or ask to meet with them. With a few minutes you might be able to peg if you like them.

Sereikastamper 07-21-2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcbunny
If they are on SCS you could check out their gallery too.

Oh good thought Kate!

michlz319 07-21-2006 07:13 AM

PM'd you. :D

WebDeb 07-21-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon
Would it be considered rude to email and ask questions? Like tell them what I'm looking for in a demo (not pushy to have a class or join up is the biggie for me)? I feel odd about it because I know I will not be a huge customer, just things here and there.

Totally not rude -- very sensible! I would be flattered if someone contacted me (a demo) just to talk stampin', no sales talk. I offer events (classes/camps) that everyone's invited to. I am sure there are people who don't like my personality or my projects. Anyway, I don't make my customers sign a loyalty oath!

Consuelo 07-21-2006 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
NOPE!!! Email them ask as many questions attend some functions of each then decide who you like.....it is your money and you should ALWAYS spend it with the person who you like doing business with! :)

I agree!

Doodah 07-21-2006 08:26 AM

When I moved to Oregon I had to find a new SU demo too. I emailed all four girls that came up on the SU site. The only two that got back to me both offered stamp camps on different days so I went to both. Met a bunch of nice ladies from both camps. But the demos are both very different and you should ask all the questions you can. I still haven't chosen a demo to stick with but I've ordered from both. Good Luck....

scrown8301 07-21-2006 08:34 AM

You have been given some great advice! It's not rude to email and ask questions at all. You don't want someone who you aren't comfortable with. :)

Colleen Schaan 07-21-2006 09:57 AM

I think what Dooda said is great, call or email ALL the demos that came up, and then see what happens. See who calls or emails back. Ask tons of questions. Things like...are you a hobby demo or a business demo? What classes are you currently holding? How often do you do workshops? Do you offer stamp camps? How long have you been a demo? What kind of customer service do you offer? (cutting and mounting stamps, monthly specials, newsletters,...) And then be frank with the demo and tell her what YOU want in a demo...Not to be pushed into workshops or recruiting, new ideas and techniques, contact only through email...whatever you prefer. Then ask if you can come to a class or workshop to see her in action an meet some of her other customers. Don't be afraid to ask for references. And don't feel like you need to have just one demo. If you like two, have two...maybe they each offer something different for you.

Good luck finding the right person.
Colleen

geogymnast82 07-21-2006 10:09 AM

The demo locator will only bring up the 5 closest to the address you've put in. You can put in an address of say a friend to bring up more demos. Some demos will show up on multiple requests depending on the address you initially put in. I would contact a lot of them! Sometimes, the demo won't respond at all. If they don't respond, then you don't want them as your demo because then they may not be responsive to any issues you may have. If they don't respond within a day or two, don't blow them off. Many people take vacations this time of year, so they just may not be around to get your messages or emails. Ask tons of questions. If you want to attend classes or stamp camps, you need to know if the demonstrator actually offers these. Some demos order only for themselves, but if they sell a certain amount (even just to themselves) then they show up on the locator. Ask if they do events, how often, typical cost, etc. Ask any questions you may have. If they don't respond or give you responses that match your desires, wants, then move on to someone else until you find someone that matches your "demo wishlist". There are enough of us out there that you should be able to find one that fits you and your personality type.

mrshungria 07-21-2006 11:03 AM

Here's a similar question for you ladies out there...

I love my demo - she is fabulous. She shows us great techniques, cute cards, and is never, ever pushy about anything. I love the make n takes that we do at her house. I'm part of a stampers 10 club with her. She lives in a different city than I do and it takes me a half hour to get to her house. I would like to attend a demo's workshop who is in my city, but not really with the intentions of buying anything since I'm already part of a stampers 10 club. It just seems unfair to those new demos that they wouldn't get anything out of it from me except for my attendance. Any suggestions?

trefoil 07-21-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshungria
I love my demo - she is fabulous. She shows us great techniques, cute cards, and is never, ever pushy about anything. I love the make n takes that we do at her house. I'm part of a stampers 10 club with her. She lives in a different city than I do and it takes me a half hour to get to her house. I would like to attend a demo's workshop who is in my city, but not really with the intentions of buying anything since I'm already part of a stampers 10 club. It just seems unfair to those new demos that they wouldn't get anything out of it from me except for my attendance. Any suggestions?

Some demos offer classes and charge for them. If you find a local demo that does so, you would pay for the class, which would cover the cost of materials and so don't have to worry about the new demo not getting anything out of it. Also, you'd get the chance to learn more advanced techniques than you are likely to see in a workshop.

mrshungria 07-21-2006 12:29 PM

Right, right. That's what I'm saying - like my demo charges $10 for make n takes and $5 if we're in stampers ten, so I don't know if it would be worth it for a demo to make only $5 off of me. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask though.

craftyteaspoon 07-21-2006 01:10 PM

Thank you all for the great advice! I just felt odd about it but now that I see so many of you wouldn't be offended I'm going to contact them all.

Another question -- what's the difference between a hobby demo and a business one? I understand the basics but does a business one order more often then a hobby? Does a hobby demo make you order a 'shows' worth? I know everyone is different but what is the norm?

Thank you again!

Sereikastamper 07-21-2006 01:13 PM

Business is usually referring to some one who is HIGHLY ACTIVE and HIGHLY MOTIVATED...does lots of workshops/classes and really sells SU!
Where as a hobby demo often refers to the girl who signed for the discount, doesn't do lots of workshops/classes but still takes orders. :)

Anyone can place a customer direct order at any time... so it is all pretty much what you are looking for in a demo! :)

raestamps 07-21-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

What she said!

But sometimes they retire which is a real bummer.

SammyStamper 07-21-2006 03:35 PM

I moved states four years ago and I emailed several demos because I wanted one that offered monthly classes/camps. Most I contacted did not. I did lean towards ones that had a website so I could see what their style was. I attended several workshops with different demos until I found one I liked better.

Sereikastamper 07-21-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raestamps
What she said!

But sometimes they retire which is a real bummer.

Yeah that stinks doesn't it??? ;)

tracy 07-21-2006 06:46 PM

FIRST I would say...

If you are excited to become a demonstrator, you should just DO IT !!!
AND the sooner the better!

It's a PERFECT time right now with the brand new 2006-2007 Idea Book & Catalog recently just released! SO MANY CUTE SETS & NEW ACCESSORIES!

Think about how much money you were going to spend anyway! You could be paying commission to yourself instead of someone else, AND earning all the FREE cool stuff at the same time! (That's at a minimum a 20% savings!)

PICTURE THIS...
*If you could easily host (or order yourself) enough for $300 workshop total, then you would have already acheived your $300 quarterly quoto, and you would not need to place any orders for another 3 months if you didn't want to.

*If you placed this order within your first 45 days after signing up you would receive 30% instant income on your order (that's 30% commision on the entire order, or you can consider it a 30% discount on your order.)

*PLUS, you would have already achieved your first SU! incentive challenge
called "Consistency Counts" and you would receive one FREE stamp set $24.95 or less.

But wait...THAT'S NOT ALL!

*In addition, as your own hostess, you would have also received $35 FREE merchandise (with your $300 workshop) or $45 (with your $400 workshop). AND yes (you can be a demonstrator and receive hostess benefits as well!)

*ALSO, You would have received a FREE Level 1 stamp set ($300 workshop) or your choice of 2 Level 1 sets, or one Level 1 set AND a Level 2 set ($400 workshop.)

Can you believe all that FREE STUFF!!! That's what we're talkin' bout! Everyone of us demonstrators are still thrilled everytime we get more chances to earn FREE stamps and sets! And it happens a lot!!

So, back to deciding which demonstrator to "pick", keep mind, even if you don't find the perfect "match" in a demonstrator, you should still plan to network with other demonstrators and learn all you can from everyone, not just the demo who signs you up.She is not responsible for your success, YOU are. She can hopefully get you off to a good start and offer support, but the desire and determination to reach your goals is up to you. AND, REMEMEBER you've found over 80,000 women HERE on my website that are willing to share their successes and answer all your questions!

Having said all that...
A few tips I might suggest to think about are~

1) You may want to pick someone who is fairly close, then you can get together more often and share ideas, share resources, and share concerns and successes. The ability to get together with another demo close by can do wonders to help motivate you, and encourage, which will help get you rolling off to success!

2) You may want to pick someone who has been a demonstrator for awhile. They will have more wisdom to share with you, and may understand the career plan and choices, and are less likely to "drop out" in the near future.

3) If you just can't decide, call the 1-800-Stamp-up and let them find someone for you! The point is JUST DO IT!

Stampin' Up! is a wonderful company with quality products, people of integrity, and real heart for their demonstrators and customers! After 10 years as a demonstrator, I can say your will not be disappointed!

SO, hurry up and become our newest Stampin' Up! Sister!

Consuelo 07-21-2006 07:24 PM

Wow Tracy, you make me want to sign up, again!

LOL

staramaze 07-22-2006 11:47 AM

Seriously! and Tracy.... where is the free set of steak knives and the potato peeler? Don't I get that too!

This is a little inside joke from convention... one of the funnier presentations was an "infomercial" style chat about this great new program...and in the end he even threw in the steak knives... too funny!

But really, Tracy is right... This new Stampin Start program is amazing... I am so jealous, but I can't wait to help all my new girls earn these incentives!

Find a good team, and sign up!

Pearlann66 07-22-2006 11:56 AM

I agree with everything that has previously been said. I seem to meet on SU demo's every where i turn!!!
I have 1 that I have become very friendly with and she does alot of stamp camps, etc. then I have another who i somewhat work with, she only does a few get togethers once in a while so feel somewhat obligated to attend her stuff too.
I did meet one lady who I knew offered classes close to my home, and when i asked her about it, she was kinda snooty like she didn't want my business, so of course I moved right on to the next person!!

Good Luck.

ellepaul 07-23-2006 06:50 AM

Tracy you make me want to sign up!

In fact I may just talk to my husband about this....:D

eliak 07-28-2006 05:04 PM

I've considered becoming a demo. The discounts and specials sound great and I love sharing my stamping ideas and all the things I learn on this site with my stamping friends. However my demo looks like she's fading on the whole stampin up idea and is turning it over to her mother. Her mother is very nice but also very new and not well connected. Is haveing a really good upline important as a demo? Also what benefits do you get by having a downline?

staramaze 07-28-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliak
I've considered becoming a demo. The discounts and specials sound great and I love sharing my stamping ideas and all the things I learn on this site with my stamping friends. However my demo looks like she's fading on the whole stampin up idea and is turning it over to her mother. Her mother is very nice but also very new and not well connected. Is haveing a really good upline important as a demo? Also what benefits do you get by having a downline?

Re: having a good upline... some of the most successful demos in SU do NOT have ANY upline. So it's very possible to do it alone... but not as fun, and somewhat harder to "learn the ropes". I recomend that you look for someone who WANTS a downline, and who wants to train you and support you. This comes in all differant levels. Some people are able to provide their demos with more help than others... some people have differant training styles. I would ask around and see what differant demos say... and pick an upline that you click with.

The benefits to having a downline... WELL if you are selling at least 400 a month yourself then you do make a percentage of what THEY sell, and what 5 levels below you sell... but this isn't a huge amount of money really untill you have a large team under you. I'd say that MY reason for having a downline is that I get to help other women achieve their goals. I really like supporting, encouraging and recognizing my team. I talk to someone in my downline every day, and they help keep ME motivated as well. We get to share ideas and help each other! Plus, it's a great way to make friends!

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you LIKE your upline. Iwork very closely with my upline and HER upline too... and I am VERY lucky. I jumped into SU without ANY research or hunting around... I just happened to get the best upline team around (in my humble opinion!).

Good Luck with your new Business!!! And Welcome! You will love being a demo for SU!!!

putri 07-28-2006 09:19 PM

I emailed all and found a lady, but it didn't work out too well... she was too far and couldn't just mail me my stuff. Dunno why. Also I had to wait till she has a few orders in so it might be the next month till I get my stuff.

So I quit buying for a few months cause I didn't know anybody else to buy from. Recently my co-worker gave me her friend's name and number. I could order and mail her the check (even though she was just around the corner). So that's what I did. Then she's been in and out this summer so I ordered from another lady, her down-line. Same thing, I order, she'd place it, and she trust that I'd send her the check. I don't know if these two ladies are just trusting or my co-worker gave them the good word that I am prompt with my payment but they'd place the order even before the check gets to them. So each time I place the payment through my bill pay I just forward them a copy of it so that they know when the check will get to them.

I just met these two ladies last week. It was nice to meet them but I still love to just send out an email, get my total, and send the payment off through my bill pay and I'd get my stamps in the mail. So convenient.

Julesiana 07-29-2006 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by putri
I emailed all and found a lady, but it didn't work out too well... she was too far and couldn't just mail me my stuff. Dunno why. Also I had to wait till she has a few orders in so it might be the next month till I get my stuff.

So I quit buying for a few months cause I didn't know anybody else to buy from. Recently my co-worker gave me her friend's name and number. I could order and mail her the check (even though she was just around the corner). So that's what I did. Then she's been in and out this summer so I ordered from another lady, her down-line. Same thing, I order, she'd place it, and she trust that I'd send her the check. I don't know if these two ladies are just trusting or my co-worker gave them the good word that I am prompt with my payment but they'd place the order even before the check gets to them. So each time I place the payment through my bill pay I just forward them a copy of it so that they know when the check will get to them.

I just met these two ladies last week. It was nice to meet them but I still love to just send out an email, get my total, and send the payment off through my bill pay and I'd get my stamps in the mail. So convenient.

You are a sweet customer ;).

I so wish I was in the situation to put an order through before I got payment, I have a few wonderful, sweet, and reliable customers I would love to do this for. However, my families finances do not allow me to do this for more than about $20. SU! is usually very prompt in removing funds from my account for orders, and dh and I do not use credit cards (except for true emergencies).

I am so glad that you found a demo to help you. Too bad for the other one. Maybe she did not have a helpful upline (trainer) to show her that she could have orders shipped directly to you.

Julesiana 07-29-2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
Re: having a good upline... some of the most successful demos in SU do NOT have ANY upline. So it's very possible to do it alone... but not as fun, and somewhat harder to "learn the ropes". I recomend that you look for someone who WANTS a downline, and who wants to train you and support you. This comes in all differant levels. Some people are able to provide their demos with more help than others... some people have differant training styles. I would ask around and see what differant demos say... and pick an upline that you click with.

My upline is a great cheer leader. She was/is a hobby demo that never payed attention to many of the business aspects of SU! So we kind of learned together. I got most of my info from here, but she is a source of support. A helpful/successful upline could be helpful, but it is not deal breaker if you do not have one.

*brailler* 07-29-2006 04:23 AM

Your Personal SU! Website

Does SU! charge a fee for posting your website with SU!? Is it very much?
Also, I heard demos only get 20% of the sales--is that all? I think Tupperware and Avon get 40% don't they? I am just curious. Thanks--Jeannie
Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyStamper
I moved states four years ago and I emailed several demos because I wanted one that offered monthly classes/camps. Most I contacted did not. I did lean towards ones that had a website so I could see what their style was. I attended several workshops with different demos until I found one I liked better.

Julesiana 07-29-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *brailler*
Also, I heard demos only get 20% of the sales--is that all? I think Tupperware and Avon get 40% don't they? I am just curious. Thanks--Jeannie

I think the website is $8 a month. Doesn't seem like much until you realize that it is $96 a year on the off chance that someone will use it.

We do just get 20% but we do not have to pay for any hostess benefits beyond the catalog, hostess gifts. (of course there are workshop expenses). It is difficult to compare one direct sales co to another since the expenses, compensation, and benefits vary so much.

NYstamper 07-29-2006 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon
Thank you all for the great advice! I just felt odd about it but now that I see so many of you wouldn't be offended I'm going to contact them all.

Another question -- what's the difference between a hobby demo and a business one? I understand the basics but does a business one order more often then a hobby? Does a hobby demo make you order a 'shows' worth? I know everyone is different but what is the norm?

Thank you again!

As more of a hobby demo than business demo I have only done a couple of workshops since I signed up a little over a year ago. I am so not a public speaker but I love to get together with others so I do Stamp camps and love them! I have a small group of friends/customers and have met and added a few more to my circle. It's enoughto keep me active and doing something I really like. Us hobby demo's are more laid back as far as the selling and recruiting goes, but don't mistake that for us not being interested in taking care of our customers! While it's true that getting the discount is a factor in signing up, I love the fact that I can offer a relaxed, fun time out for the girls and spend time with friends both old and new! I should also add that I also work full time and have little kids so this is a great way for me to do something I love!

NYstamper 07-29-2006 06:16 AM

Also, hobby demos, at least I don't, make you place a hostess order. I have customers that only want a few things and if I have no other orders I will put it in and have it sent directly to them...letting them know when it will be there....

cuccicoo1002 07-29-2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

DITTO! :)

DisneyDoll 07-29-2006 07:15 AM

I've always been lucky enough to just "fall into" a demo. Friend's sister had one, Friend's DD's Kindergarten teacher was one, another friend BECAME one!

*brailler* 07-29-2006 07:58 AM

Thanks for Sharing

Thanks for sharing. That information makes me appreciate all the more all of you who are Demos and the costs you have involved with your businesses.--Jeannie
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesiana
I think the website is $8 a month. Doesn't seem like much until you realize that it is $96 a year on the off chance that someone will use it.

We do just get 20% but we do not have to pay for any hostess benefits beyond the catalog, hostess gifts. (of course there are workshop expenses). It is difficult to compare one direct sales co to another since the expenses, compensation, and benefits vary so much.

staramaze 07-29-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *brailler*

We DO get up to 40% when you include the Rebates. We get 20% upfront and then an additional percentage back in a check depending on our sales for the month. The more you sell/buy, the more you make income-wise. We also get other bonuses like Great Rewards points (one point per $1...and they accumualte and you can usethem to buy products or supplies).

staramaze 07-29-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesiana

I just want to add... that in addition to making more that the 20%... I forgot all about the hostess bennies! Some other DS companies not only don't give hostess bennies... but the Demos have to PAY to give bennies to their customers! I save up all my little orders from people whenever I can (when it's convenient for the customer) and I am always the hostess on those orders! I hardly ever pay out of pocket for my stamps.