Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Default How do you orgainze your stamps???

Do you put them alphabetically or by seasons etc? I would like to get something done with all my stamps so I'll know what I have and where it is at a moments notice.

What do you do???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

My DH set up an Excel worksheet for me.. LOL He got bored, but all my sets are in alphbetical order in one column, then there is a color code to tell you if that set is retired, SAB, hostess appreciation or even if someone borrowed it. It takes a bit of work but I wouldn't trade it for anything. But on a more obvious level for me, I stack them according to box size in abc order. HTH

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

This is too sad to admit, however, I had a system prior to becoming a SU demo. My husband has put up shelves on the wall above my desk for me. I organize according to catagory, ex: Holidays, Seasons, etc. Now comes OCD part. I use different colors of electricians tape, white - current, yellow - retired, red - wheel that coordinates, etc. and put all of these behind the label that states what the set is. On one side, if the set is retired I print out a label with the month & year, the other side is the catagory of where it belongs. I have not, yet, started to enter them on the computer. I have a feeling that is my next project.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Do you mean *all* your stamps, or just your SU sets? If you're talking SU sets, I have mine (the ones that are boxed, anyway) in alpha order, by size of the box. These are kept stacked on DVD shelf-units, with the labels out so I can find them easily. My backgrounds are standing up, *naked* <gasp!> on a shelf-unit, in alpha order. My UM sets (in the original sense of the meaning -- no wood or cushion, just the rubber image) are in little 4.5x6" envelopes in a drawer. (I used all my SU sets UM before I became a demo -- and when I stop being a demo, I'll probably dis-mount the rest of them. We don't even want to think about how long *that* will take! =8-o )

My other, non-SU stamps are either in the UM drawers or in another room, in flat-file drawers. (My lovely new *blue* TAC sets are in their own special photo-box at the moment, since my UM drawers are full.) I was lucky enough to get 6 5-drawer flat-file units for free when a company closed, so I have plenty of room for my big sheets of paper and other companies' wood-mounted stamps. Those stamps are filed alphabetically in the drawers by company, BTW. Guess I should have been a librarian instead of an accountant, huh?

As far as knowing what images I have, and where they are -- I have a stamped image-catalog for that, since my stamps are in a couple of different rooms. When I get a new stamp, mount or trim a new set, I stamp it on an unlined 4x6" index card, and note the info that is important to me on it (like the date, where I got it, how much I paid, whether it's UM or wood-mounted, etc.). These cards get punched with my Rollabind punch and inserted into the appropriate catalog book. (In alphabetical order, of course!)

I find this system easiest to use because I tend to think of my images in terms of the company that makes them, rather than as "words" or "flowers" or "holiday" sorts of categories. So many images could easily fit into several categories that trying to sort them that way is overwhelming to me! Since many companies have a 'style' of their own, I find it easier to file by company. You should do what works best for you, in terms of how you think and where you'd be likely to look for something. If I don't have a specific idea in mind, just browsing through my image-catalogs is a big help and inspiration to me. Since I tend to use my SU stamps more than my others, sometimes I challenge myself to go through my non-SU books and come up with an idea. It usually works, and it's fun!

Sorry to go on & on -- didn't mean to write a book. Hope you find some of this helpful in your organizational quest!

Happy trails....

Sue