Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tack n Peel

For those who use Tack n Peel do you leave the foam on the rubber stamp or go right down to the bare rubber?

I have just purchased this and am just kind of looking at it. I suppose you could leave the foam on and cover it with the sticker the stamp comes with, right?

This stuff is kind of expensive so I don't want to mess it up (don't really think you could). Any tips and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Lee Anne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You go right to bare rubber. I didn't realize it until I pulled it off the block, but I guess when it starts to lose it's cling, you just rinse it off and it is as good as new. At least I think I remember reading it on here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

So if you only have bare rubber, only the acrylic block has the adhesive, right? If that's the case, how do you store all the UM rubber?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I use just the rubber with Tack N Peel. I brush Aileen's Tack It Over and Over glue on the storage case. The rubber stays put without a problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

That's an excellent question KatarinaM. One I had not thought of.

CathyRose has solved that dilemma. Thank you!

So I would take a SU set, peel the gray foam off so that I have just bare rubber and attach it to a clear block with Tack n Peel on it. Then I can store the bare rubber in a case with some Aileen's Tack It Over and Over glue on it to keep the bare rubber in place.

Sounds easy enough.

Thank you NYstamper, KatarinaM and CathyRose for your responses. I so appreciate your time.

Lee Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

i am a bare rubber girl too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

then why couldn't you just use the Tack it over and over on the back of the stamp and attach THAT to the acrylic block? I haven't done this, but a a stamp show that's what they were showing you how to do.

Tack n Peel is expensive, and if you don't need it, why buy it?

I don't have any Tack it over and over, but is someone willing to try this and report back?

Thanks

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Hello! I have been doing the un-mounting process forever! Aileens tack it over & over works great and it is inexpensive if you have ALOT to unmount which I did! During that process I discovered on here about tack -n- peel. With the sets I had left I un-mounted down to the bare rubber. (I was nervous to do that from the beginning) but I'm so glad I did. I have the tack -n-peel right on the block and it stays on there. When you cut your tack -n- peel keep the clear piece and put that on the block to keep the sticky side from getting everything on it. You can rinse the tack -n- peel with a mild dish detergent rinse it and let it air dry and the stickiness will stay! Does that make sense to you?!! The aileens tack it over does work great as I said but I found it very time consuming because I was removing the the entire stamp (foam and all) then putting the sticker on it and trimming then using the tack it over letting it dry then storing it away! As someone said on here to me the stickers are over rated and I have to say I agree. I really thought that I wanted the sticker on the stamp, but with all the stamps I did down to the bare rubber i have no stickers on them and no regrets.

Keep in mind though when you use tack -n- peel that is used with the stamps that are just plain rubber. I have alot of stamps that are the clear CLING. You have to use the other side of your block for those kind of stamps. If not you may ruin the cling stamps because it will be very difficult to remove it from the block that has the tack n peel on it.

You can also go to you tube and there is a video of the tack n peel.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Good luck and happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Hehe, I love my Tack n Peel. I have it on all my acrylic blocks. It is slightly spongy and because of that, I don't use foam at all.

If you want some sort of foam when you stamp, you can buy a foam cushion - like one you would use for pricking. But I find the images are not as sharp as when you don't use it so my foam is mostly kept for pricking. lol.

Connie, when you use the clear acrylic stamps with the Tack n Peel, if you very carefully scratch the stamp off with your finger nails (once you have cleaned it), you can still keep these as good as new. If they are pre-glued, they need a bit of patience, but I still find having that bit of sponginess useful for stamping.

To clean the TnP I use baby wipes. I don't use it on stamps any longer, but it is great for the blocks - especially when glitter spills on it. lol.

The only stamps I have not unmounted are some really large ones - but once I get some more TnP, I will be unmounting those as well. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTruckerView Post
If you have cling foam on your stamps, why would you remove the foam in order to use the Tack and Peel?

And after something like 30 years of stamping, I much prefer having some kind of foam on my stamps. Makes a better impression.
The TacknPeel has a spongy layer, very thin, but still there nevertheless.

After thirty years of stamping, you probably would find doing things differently a little difficult, but try at least one, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks everyone!

I have been experimenting over the last couple of days with various ways of doing this. I think, like Connie and Karen, that the bare rubber works best with the tack n peel. I tried using the sticker on it but it just got stuck in the tack n peel. I have also tried leaving the foam on and found it doesn't stamp any different than without.

I tried the Aileen's Tack It Over and while it does work great, it is too time consuming.

I guess for me it is Tack n Peel and bare rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

How do you store the bare rubber when you're not using them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtomaxView Post
Thanks everyone!

I have been experimenting over the last couple of days with various ways of doing this. I think, like Connie and Karen, that the bare rubber works best with the tack n peel. I tried using the sticker on it but it just got stuck in the tack n peel. I have also tried leaving the foam on and found it doesn't stamp any different than without.

I tried the Aileen's Tack It Over and while it does work great, it is too time consuming.

I guess for me it is Tack n Peel and bare rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Hello fellow stampers! I'm sorry I forgot to mention but another alternative to tack n peel is poster tape. Another scs member posted this and it also works great! (Yes, I have tried this too) You can purchase a roll of this for around $7.00 and just put a couple strips of this on your block. You can also rinse it off like you do the tack n peel, let it air dry and the stickiness will come right back!

Katrina, I have gone round and round with storing my stamps that I have un-mounted. I don't like the binder thing, would need to many binders! After reading a-lot of the suggestions here, I gave it some thought and one of the scs members uses the old but tried and true method of storing in envelopes. This is so space saving. You can stamp your images on the front of the envelope and also put the name of the set at the top. I bought the medium canvas storage bins(the itso brand) at Target and all my stamps are stored in there. I'm working on categorizing them now with dividers.

Any questions? Please feel free to pm me!

Have a great day,
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have one large acrylic block that has tack and peel on it and when not in use I put a piece of acetate over it...Works well for all my rubber stamps xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabeView Post
then why couldn't you just use the Tack it over and over on the back of the stamp and attach THAT to the acrylic block? I haven't done this, but a a stamp show that's what they were showing you how to do.

Tack n Peel is expensive, and if you don't need it, why buy it?

I don't have any Tack it over and over, but is someone willing to try this and report back?

Thanks
i tried tack it over and over and hated that method for several reasons.
  1. way too time consuming - i have hundreds and hundreds of stamps
  2. i am messy and i kept getting paper and other junk stuck to my stamp
  3. tack n peel is a far cheaper method since all you need is enough for a couple blocks no matter how many stamps you own
  4. no wait time - i get a stamp and can use it immediately

i have one block that has had the TnP on it for 4 years and it is getting dingy - so 4 year life seems good to me. i have my stamps basically categorized and in plastic bins - i am not neat enough to put them away in a system that requires much effort KWIM? i also use a thin foam piece under my paper when stamping - comes in the CTMH stamps - i have NEVER had any trouble with my stamps due to not having a foam cushion on them!
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #16  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I use tack n peel on my acrylic blocks. Seemed like a lot less work than trying to wipe glue on each stamp (tack it over and over) or the sticky foam on each piece of rubber. I hate cutting that (sorry I can't remember the name of it.)
When I unmount rubber that is on wood blocks i remove the foam layer, as I find it will rip on one or two of the stamps anyway.
when I buy SU's clearmount stamps I just use them right on the tack n peel.
I find it makes no difference if there is the foam or not.
As I unmount I put the sets in the SU dvd cases. It doesn't matter to me if they move around in there. If it did I would put a stripe of tape on the case.

If I find a piece of rubber isn't stamping well without the foam, I put a foam mouse pad under the cs. I have it in a drawer in the work station. I really almost never use it.

Tack n peel is not expensive. if you have a sheet it will do several blocks. How many blocks do you own? 2 sheets come in a pack and it will go a long way. (you could measure the square inches of your block tops and figure how much an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet will take you.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Katarina, I haven't decided how to store the bare rubber yet. I have purchased several of the clear cases from SU (like DVD cases). I'm thinking (as someone has already mentioned) that I will put a thin layer of Aileens Tack it Over on the inside of the cases and stick the bare rubber on that to keep them from moving around. I would be able to put several sets in the same case. I was going to group them into categories such as flowers, Christmas, etc.

SuG, the tack n peel I purchased only had one sheet in it. I paid $6.00 for it on sale at JoAnns. It is normally $10.00 and I have several blocks. I like having different sizes for different stamps. I was able to cover 3 blocks with this one sheet (1 rather large one and 2 smaller ones).

Now I must say, my fingers are really, really sore unmounting and tearing the foam off. I can't believe how much space I have freed up and how much the wooden blocks weigh.

Lee Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Storing rubber can be fairly simple. I went to the stationers and bought Trading card pocket sheets (about 9 per page) and keep them in a lever arch folder - you can use any number of rings for them. With larger stamps the CD jewel cases are perfect - if you go to the cheapy shops and buy 10 for $5 (well here in Oz that is how much they are - lol). I store them in shoe boxes. A label maker lets you know what is in each one. It is a fairly easy and compact way to store large numbers of stamps. I have about five or six blocks with TnP and have a large 6" x 6" block left to do for my really big stamps. I will need two packs to do this and here in Oz at almost $15 plus postage, I have to buy a few things to make the postage worthwhile. So a couple more months yet. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Default Unmounting

I've unmounted almost all my stamps and love it. I store mine in CD cases. Most stamps have come off the wood just fine with the foam still in tact and if so I use them that way on acrylic blocks, spraying repositionable adhesive on the rubber/label side. But there are a few brands where the foam doesn't come off the wood or parts tear off and parts stay on. How do I get all the foam off the rubber so I can use it as bare rubber with the Tack N' Peel? I've used Tack N' Peel and like that method too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried cutting Tack n Peel into strips and using like you would poster tape on acrylic blocks? I'm thinking its thickness might interfere with giving an even stamped impression if the whole stamp isn't on Tack n Peel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

huthb, I just rub the rest of the foam off with my fingers. I haven't had any problem getting it off that way. I should mention the only stamps I've done this too is SU so I can't say about how other brands work.

La Fonz, I thought about doing that but thought it would result in an uneven stamp. The Tack n Peel isn't that thick but just didn't think it would work right.

Lee Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I haven't tried the Tack n Peel because nobody around me has it and anytime I'm placing an online order from someone who does have it, I always forget to add it to the order. Because of that, I use the poster tape. I can get it easily at numerous stores around me, many places where I can also use a coupon. I like the fact that it's cheap and easily obtained and fast to use. I don't have the desire to try the Aleen's because of the drying time. There are only a few of the rubber only rubber stamps that I have problems with using with the poster tape and that's only because the rubber is thinner than most or the rubber isn't deeply etched. For those, I do need some type of cushioning to get a good image. Love the poster tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

I will have to give the poster tape a try.

Thanks,
Lee Anne
Reply With Quote Likes