Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #1  
Duchess of Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you have a BIG SU show when....

I'm a SU fanatic, not a demo (I have my own business & it keeps me busy enough). When I had my first few SU shows, they were pretty good. Then, it seems my circle of stamping friends got divided out to their own demos. In fact, I now know multiple demos in town, but have one who does the shows for me now & another who would be my #2 choice, and a 3rd, and so on!

I don't have another show booked yet, but I know I will.

How do I get people to come & order when the people I know are already in a Stamp Club of some sort & they already are spending $$ at that, or they are "loyal" to their demo, or they truly don't have extra money for things like this? Since I'm in the direct sales/party business, I know all the hints about asking everyone, and I do this. And I do call backs, and I send e-mails, and I see if anyone who can't come wants to order. Is there any hope that i can ever have a big SU show again?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

tough situation, not sure I know how to answer, since I never host parties, I just place orders through my demo, but I'll bump it to the top for you.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

If all of your friends are stampers already, maybe you need to have your demo do a workshop with a purpose in mind that they need to learn as well. Maybe she could do some sort of 3D items and demo how they are done, as well as some regular cards or scrapbook pages. Try and get them with something different that they haven't done as yet.

Plus, generally when a friend of mine invites me to something, I plan to attend to help her earn what she wants. I think women do this for other women.

You need to work to find other people who are new to stamping. I'm always on the lookout for those women who might be interested that aren't already stamping. And you've got those who don't think they will like it, but they might if they give it a try...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Mama
I'm a SU fanatic, not a demo (I have my own business & it keeps me busy enough). When I had my first few SU shows, they were pretty good. Then, it seems my circle of stamping friends got divided out to their own demos. In fact, I now know multiple demos in town, but have one who does the shows for me now & another who would be my #2 choice, and a 3rd, and so on!

I don't have another show booked yet, but I know I will.

How do I get people to come & order when the people I know are already in a Stamp Club of some sort & they already are spending $$ at that, or they are "loyal" to their demo, or they truly don't have extra money for things like this? Since I'm in the direct sales/party business, I know all the hints about asking everyone, and I do this. And I do call backs, and I send e-mails, and I see if anyone who can't come wants to order. Is there any hope that i can ever have a big SU show again?

Thanks!
WOW! I wish my customers would ask me this question! Have you asked your demo this question? What is your DS business?

If you were MY customer. I would suggest we do a class instead of a workshop, and give you a portion of the Class revenue maybe in free product instead of or in addition to the hostess benefits...OR A Class might be a Simply Scrappin' Kit class, and the guests prepay $20 and choose a $12.95 scrappin' kit. They will complete 12 (or more) 6X6 pages in the class. I require that when my customers have a private class we have a minimum of 8 participants. So with those numbers the workshop is already over $100.... You put in a $50 order too, and now you earned a hostess set and $15 in free stuff!

I have also done NON product classes (like glass etching) and again, a minimum of 8 participants... charge (pre-pay) $20 per person... and I give $5 per person back in free product = $40.

Just some out of the box ideas.... ask your demo for more!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try to think outside the box for new guests. Your demo can give you a copy of the "40 guests in 4 minutes" flyer to help with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

My hostesses with the biggest shows always do their workshops during Sellabration. But before Christmas is usually a good time too...maybe you can ask your demo to do a themed workshop like Christmas/holidays, or a chocolate themed workshop is good too (stamping a candy bar wrapper, etc.)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #7  
Duchess of Dork

Great responses! Thank you! Funny, we just talked the other night about holding "cooking classes" rather than the standard Cooking Show. I will talk to my demo about that & see what she thinks.

I have 40 guests in 4 min. & 50 guests in 5 minutes! I've invited 40 & 50! It's just that they are kind of spread thin, I guess. Hard to find "new blood" for stamping.

Another question, would you, as a SU demo, invite your SU customers to a party for another company? I am very reluctant to do that b/c I want to be professional (unless they are my friend already OR I know they stamp). then, as a customer, here's an example: Would you want your Arbonne lady (not a good friend, let's say, just someone you get makeup from) inviting you to a Tupperware party?

I'll talk to my dear SU friend/demo & see what she thinks. The class might be a fun thing to do. she is SO good & brings lots of stuff for us to do, but maybe so, doing a pre-order for a scrapkit or something & making it that night, or Christmas Card party where you order your stamps ahead & then make the stuff together. Hmmmmm......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Hard to find "new blood" for stamping.
Invite NON-Stampers and show them the Tattoo kits and Return Address Stamps!

Quote:

Another question, would you, as a SU demo, invite your SU customers to a party for another company? I am very reluctant to do that b/c I want to be professional (unless they are my friend already OR I know they stamp). then, as a customer, here's an example: Would you want your Arbonne lady (not a good friend, let's say, just someone you get makeup from) inviting you to a Tupperware party?
I would not. I would rather my customers spend their extra cash with me! Plus I would worry that they would feel like I was sharing their personal information.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #9  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
Invite NON-Stampers and show them the Tattoo kits and Return Address Stamps!

I would not. I would rather my customers spend their extra cash with me! Plus I would worry that they would feel like I was sharing their personal information.
THank you! Good idea about something different for non-stampers!

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in feeling it's not right to invite customers to other parties. I think the personal info is a good point. I've always sent out my own newsletters blind computer copy for that reason. I know there are some reliable list-servers but I just feel I can control it better this way.

Lots to think about!
Reply With Quote Likes