Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #41  
Embossing Fanatic

I love this thread! I have a tendecy to impulse shop and to "look for deals" whether or not I need the item. I haven't had much stamping time or space lately, so to curb my shopping, my new rule is that I can't buy any new sets until I make at least one card out of each set I already own. That will take care of the impulse part. Then if I do "have to have" something, I think I'm going to make myself sell/trade to get it. Finally, I'd like any new purchases to go with at least 2 of my existing stamp sets. I don't know if this plan is going to work, but I can try!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodme
I've decided to take a few steps back when contemplating purchases, particularly with SU made items.
First, the logic that SU stamps are such a good value because "you can get 5 or 6 stamps for $30 and and at a craft store stamps are $10 each" does not hold water for me. Now, I take a hard look at EACH stamp in a particular set and ask myself whether I would purchase EVERY stamp in a set if they ere sold individually. If the answer is NO, then I don't purchase it. Similarly, if I am about to purchase a $19 set because I only really like one stamp, I don't purchase it. For me, that is not good value.

Second, I have stopped purchasing the latest and greatest from SU simply because it is the latest and greatest. I already own one coffee themed set. I dont need to purchase another simply because it is in the latest mini catalog. Unless the new item is markedly distinct from what I already own, I don't purchase it.

Third, I stay away from items that dont yield multiple uses without additional investments. Example: the Cricut will yield multiple uses and is versatile- but only if you purchase expensive add-ons ( the cartridges).

Fourth, don't be the first out of the gate to purchase a product. I'd rather wait until the kinks get worked out and until I decided I really "NEED" it.
I agree wholeheartedly with "Art of Love"'s strategy. I have often had a wish list dwindle significantly as I find I musn't have it immedietly.

Finally, Coupons. Coupons. Coupons.

Your post really helps me....good ideas that I need to put to use. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

great topic, so many good ideas here, i really need to curb the spending on sets and concentrate on paper and adhesives and specialty cards/envie sets, etc. and other tools

MWBS
Mom to 2 girls...love being creative...in everything I do...
DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE......Walt Disney
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN.....
Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with all of the posts!! I have to give myself a set amount each month to spend on stamping stuff...because stamping probably wouldn't be that much fun if I was in debt!!
Also, I TOTALLY agree with a previous post that I seem to be SOOO much more creative if I have limited supplies....and my work comes out great! For example, I loved this card in the gallery, but didn't have the same color of cardstock...so I stamped a couple bg's in that color of ink, which I did have, and it turned even better!
I must admit, I did fall into the scallop frenzy, but I love mine and use them often!! I don't only stick to SU stuff, although I LOVE SU, there are great deals and fabulous stamps elsewhere too!
And lastly, as much as I love holiday themed sets, I have to stop myself from buying them. Do I really need a St.Patty's day set...??? How many baby sets do I really have to have, anyway...??? I loved the Teddy Bear set in the Spring Mini (love teddy's!!) but I already have Button Bear and Fav. Teddy...so I def. didn't need another one! Of course, I'm not a demo so retired sets are great!!! (and much cheaper for the most part)
VERSATILITY definately reigns true to me. If a stamp set doesn't have multiple uses, than I DON'T buy it!!! Well, I try not to anyway!!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh that OP is a pain. Why put a damper on those of us who live by impulse buying???? Why did she have to make those promises when they are soooo painful to live by? Keep those thoughts to yourself next time, honey.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

I am loving this thread! I have given up craft purchases for Lent and the first week was close to impossible! Going to my LSS or M's or J's or HL was therapy to me! Now, I am trying to take my therapy in my own craft room. Sometimes I just go in and look at all the things I have purchased and never used and I am truly ashamed...I am an impulse buyer too. However, giving up my purchasing has shown me I can do it. So, I have made a few rules for myself:

1. Everything paid for in paper cash. I am used to using my debit card and it makes over-buying waaaay too easy. However, parting with "real" money is going to be harder.
2. THINK ABOUT IT!! Is is so cute I can't live without it or would it be happier in some other woman's home?
3. Buy it then...USE IT! Anything that sits for (some amount of time, I can't decide), needs to move on.

So, thank you for the thread and thank you for giving me the opprotunity to know I am not the only one out there struggling!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Excellent topic Joan. First of al I have an allowance each month that I can spend on any thing I like. I have been buying scrapbooking items and rubber stamps for years. However, I started spending all of my allowance on these items each month for the past 4 years. I have way too much "stuff". I feel very overwhelmed most of the time because of this. But in order to keep up with the latest trends, which includes stamps, papers, embellishments and magazines I just keep buying. Am I using all of my things? No! As a matter of fact I have at least 8 SU sets of stamps that I still need to cut up and put together. Just last week I made up my mind that I had to stop buying so much. Just because I *love* all of the work that I see here at SCS does not mean I need to run out and buy the items that a ceratin person has used to make what I love.
I do have the scallop punches and I do use them. I do have a cuttlebug and a Cricut. I did not buy these. My husband got both of them for me for Christmas and they were both a complete surprise. I did not want the Cricut and did not have the heart to tell my husband so there it sits. I hope when I get back to doing more scrapbooking that I will use it. So when is enough -enough? When I finally realized that I no longer want to buy things that all of you enablers keep putting on this forum. When my craft room is filed and I no longer have any room for any thing. Well, that has happened. So, I am only going to purchase the things that I *really* want and will use. After all fads come and go.

Oh, one thing I do not do is use a credit card. If I had done that I would be in serious debt. :0

Mary
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

I have also noticed that if I have a large supply of something, I am more likely to use it, and use it frequently, because I'm not worried I'll run out, whereas if I only have a limited supply of something special, I tend to hoard (I finally discovered the proper spelling of this term, as it is used in this instance) it 'cuz I'm afraid that if I use it, it will be gone, and I will NEVER be able to find any more of it.
Me too! I have the same fear of something being "gone" just when I need more of it. I'm starting to realize it's better to use it up...cuz right around the corner is something I will love equally well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I rarely buy anything that is of a single-use type application. For instance, I tend to avoid rub-ons. I like them, they're beautiful, but, I can't bring myself to buy them very often . . . I simply prefer the ability to reuse an item repeatedly for the investment of money . . . hence, I prefer rubber stamps above rub-ons and alphabet stickers.

I think this must be the reason I've never been to big on rub-ons, etc.