Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I joke about this subject, but it is actually a serious one for me. Buying craft stuff is a definite stress reliever and I love to stamp, especially with new stuff. And these crack dealers, I mean craft dealers purposely release new stuff slowly on to the market so we always have to have the next best thing!!!

I never go in debt, save money, retirement funds, etc. yet I am starting to really question what I am doing. I have no solutions at the moment.

To more directly answer your question, I pay for my stuff out of my salary. Now, off to earn some of that salary!!
Thanks -- I have to clean my screen now! You are so right about buying craft stuff being a stress reliever. I figure that it's keeping me (relatively) sane, so it's money well spent.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keurigirl
Ok. So I've been a noncommittal stamper for a few years, I've had stamps and pads but never REALLY got into it until about 6 weeks ago. In that six weeks I've spent, oh, I don't think I should add it up or I'll scare myself, BUT I have purchased at least:

$200 in SU stuff
$50 in misc. stuff at Costco
$80 at Michaels
$50 at Ben Franklin (oh Amy Butler and Grey's you slay me)
$70 on a Cuttlebug + a $80 lot of dies on Ebay
a ton of other random lots on ebay

And I am sure there are several that I'm not thinking of! This is NUTS! And I'm going to a stamping expo at our local fairgrounds this weekend so I'm sure this isn't the end of it. In addition I haven't made my last order to SU before the sets are retired. And I want the stamps from PaperTreyInk...I am going to put my husband into the poor house!! Making cards is no cheaper than buying them, are they? I thought maybe I could use that excuse...

I have a brand new baby at home and she is my first, so needless to say, I don't have much time to myself. What time I do have lately is spent here and making cards. It is bringing me so much joy, but I can't believe how much money I've spent!

So how do you do it?
To answer the question about if it is cheaper. I would have to say yes. It now costs around 3 to 4 dollars just to buy a card. Not only is it cheaper but it means more knowing that someone put that much time into something for you. I have a great aunt I made a card for, and she put it next to her phone because she knew that I had made it.

I look around at my stamp stuff and realize that all this could have been spaired had I not went to my first Stampin Up party a couple years ago. Right now, I have so much stuff that I don't know what to do with.(Not really) but I do have a lot of stuff. I have limited myself to using up the supplies that I have right now before buying any more accessories or stamps. I have spent way more than I would ever thinkk I would spend on this hobby, but I think it is worthwhile. I have just learned to limit myself and set aside money every month for stamping. So say if I don't use that money one month, then I have it for a bigger purchase if I want.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL ~~ I remember when I was first interesting in stamping, I looked at a SU catalog at a friends house. I thought "Oh, this is going to cost me a bit of money, isn't it?" ~~ little did I know just *how* much!!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy
P.S. Milwaukee Mommy I'm in your neck of the woods... West Allis. We should stamp sometime.

*waving from Vernon*
Old 05-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks girls!! WOW! Great advice. I am lucky that I get to stay home with my baby in comfort, my hubby makes a good living so at least I'm not putting us in the poorhouse. I am, however, shocking myself with the number of things I MUST HAVE! But you are right, I should stop the impulse purchases because that is where I am going wrong.

I stopped myself from buying the papertreyink stuff and now I am thinking I don't need it. (Well maybe the garden one, lol!). I already ordered bellas , but I'm glad for those. I love love love paper piecing.

I guess I just didn't realize that there would be so much to buy! My neighbor is a SU demonstrator and we have a monthly craft club. But I didn't buy much until last month... and now I can see a habit forming. I should have known based on what her craft room looks like... she is a stampaholic!!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes this hobby is $$! But I have learned to purchase my products carefully.

I always look in the Clearance aisle's and then use my 40% coupon's on bigger items.

And since I am a demo for The Angel Company (TAC) I get a 30% discount on my stamps and supplies.
So that's a savings too.

I love spending time in my craft room.....Making and sharing my ideas with other is so cool.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

I SELL (NON craft stuff) on EBAY to support my craft habit....
I ALWAYS use a coupon when I visit my friends 'JoAnns' and 'Michaels'..
I BUY RETIRED sets on EBAY for less than the original price...
I teach classes at a local Paper Arts store for extra $$$...
I haven't bought new clothes or shoes for myself in years!!! LOL!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

I have absolutely no idea how I do it, I just spend and spend these days. It is seriously like I have an addiction or something. I can't get enough. I tell myself I'm finally done getting everything I want and then something else pops up in my face and I have to get that too. I have no will power when it comes to crafting/stamping stuff. NONE. It is a sickness! I really need to curb the spending because the $$ is not unlimited in our household.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is some more food for thought - if you are feeling guilty, one thing I do is that I do use my habit to give lots of gifts (packets of stamped cards...etc) especially now with school coming to an end - to teachers, library workers....etc.

Also - I do put together about 3-4 really nice baskets of cards (and other small stamped items) for charity auction events. These baskets go for at least $50 - and people love them! For me - it is one way to not do this hobby just for me. I figure if I can make somthing that gives $50 or so to a good cause (Autism...etc) then it is all worth it and puts it into perspective.

Sandy

PS. and while I do always put a business card in the basket (I am an SU Demo) no one ever calls me on it - and I am OK with that.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been stamping for over 10 years and I don't have near the stuff some of my friends do. But I'm not a scrapbooker so that probably saves some space and money. I give myself (and DH) an allowance every month and that is it. We have our own checking accounts for this purpose. It makes me stop and think if I really want something. I also create on paper the cards I want to make to really be sure it is worth purchasing. I am a SU demo but I do it for the discount not income. I stay off of websites and out of Joann's and Michaels. That is trouble waiting to happen!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I "try" to have a craft budget so I don't go over board. I have a separate bank acct for this and any money I get from selling watermarks, craft racks, or money I make from selling any used supplies I put in that acct and use it to support my hobby.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

I sell cards and other stamped items, mostly by word of mouth...but we do some craft shows around Christmas. The plus side to this is everything I buy that has to do with stamping, including my stamp room, phone bill, etc is tax deductible as a business expense. There is a silver lining to everything!

Don't go in to debt for it though. I like to look at the cards I make as little blessings to those that receive them! I've made it into a ministry so to speak.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #53  
Glitter Queen

My husband teaches art at a university. He also makes art and often is invited to show his work. However, he has never sold a piece! I've sold my cards, although not for significant amounts of money*** but for more than he has earned selling his art. He is very sensitive to this, so i have to be careful talking about it.

I also think of my card making as a ministry. I am glad i joined the RAK user group to share cards and ideas. It helps, as does all of SCS, keep the creative juices flowing.

I started stamping when i needed something that was "ME" apart from my role as worker, mother, wife. Stamping does that for me quite nicely!

Good luck finding your self in stamping.

Joan
Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Default reply to Granna's comment

I have also struggled at times with "I could be using this money to help someone who is in REAL need." I don't think I can really resolve that. I honestly can't FULLY justify everything I've spent from that perspective. But I don't feel the need to completely give everything up either. So I try to keep it in perspective, and in balance. Sort of like the old advice about saving money for the future "Pay yourself first"...in this case it's more similar to "make your contributions first". I'm not 'holier than thou' and I don't always stick to this resolve.

I also try to make sure I'm sharing completed cards with as many people as I can. I"m more aware now of shut-ins at our church, and am much better at sending cards/notes for families going through a crisis of some sort. And I've been making cards for troops, to send to a guy from my workplace who's serving overseas through his Reserve Unit.

Those things help. Also, I know the relaxation and joy and 'introvert time' that I gain give me strength and more enjoyment in life, and I do believe that carries over to dropping my stress level and being less irritable with others (at least I like to think so!).

I don't know where the line is between 'reasons' and 'rationalizations' and I probably don't want to think about that too much! I do know that I really am enjoying my life and my days more since getting introduced to this hobby about 18 months ago!

"All that glitters is not gold; all who wander are not lost"....Tolkien
Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

My name is Parrothead and I am a stampaholic......there should be a chapter of AA for this......I have thousands of dollars worth of "stuff"....stuff I don't even know I have!!!! Stuff I never use.....I haven't bought any new clothes in two years!!!! AND....I hardly ever send a card...I just keep them filed.....now that I just read what I wrote.....I think I will check myself into re-hab!!!......Right after UPS and the mailman comes this week......
Old 05-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

Like a lot of the others that answered, I too bought a lot initially and stocked up on a lot of essentials but I've noticed that in the past yr I've slowed down and don't buy as much. I started out stockpiling but now try only to buy what I'm sure I'll use. My only exception to that is paper...I still stockpile that but I know that I'll use it up eventually.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Don't you find that if you REALLY want something, you find a way?

One thing I do is, I never spend "our" money for any of my craft stuff. DH pays the bills, so most of my paycheck goes into our joint account to take care of the monthly expenses. I keep about $125 from each bi-weekly check. With that money, I buy (ashamed to say) cigarettes and stamping stuff. Any "extras" that come in...bd money or bonuses etc...that's mine.

I don't spend much on clothes...I'm not a clothes horse and do almost all my shopping at the Thrift Store (just LOVE finding an all but new name brand skirt or such for $1.00), and I don't really spend a lot of $$ on anything else, so it's "my" money to spend. If I wasn't stamping, I'd likely be spending it on something else.

Also, I really shop around. I almost never buy anything that's not on sale or I can use a coupon. I almost exclusively buy UM because you can get stamps for half the cost. I also try to "make do" with a lot of things...I make my own stuff where I can (lots of embellishments and such), and really look for things that aren't either scrapbook or stamp related to use in the hobby. So often, just calling something that makes the price go up horrendously. There are several wonderful sites online that have lots of "recipes" that are big money savers.

Quite often at a garage or rummage sale, I'll see things that aren't really my "cup of tea" but if it's something I know is very popular, I'll pick it up and then resell it on eBay, adding the difference to my spendable dollars. That helps too.

Lots of folks have gotten into picking specific times where they don't spend...a month or whatever. I think most of them find it really helpful.

Great thread...I think we all think about it but it's good to put stuff into words sometimes.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

The best way to not spend a ton of money on this hobby is to be a hostess. Earn a significant protion of your stuff for free! I am a Demo and origionally signed to get a discount and then I just spent what I'd earn and for the first time this year I am contributing income to the household and getting all the great SU stuff I want for FREE!!! There are ways to do it. Use those coupons, set a budget and Hostess. You will have a ton of stuff in no time. And if you are even more inspired and want to share a hobby you love sign up. Starter kits are a great deal even if you don't want a business and there is nothing wrong with becoming a Demo for the discount. If you don't make the minimums you can drop and buy from someone else again. No loss for you and it will get you a great start of supplies.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I was a SU demo for a few years and during that time I broke even with all the things I ordered so I didn't use any household income for my stuff, it all came from my commission. Once I stopped doing workshops when my DH started traveling more I stopped doing SU. Tried again with CTMH and managed to get some stuff from them and a few workshops paid for those items and then discontinued that. I do have things that I have gotten from CM that I will say didn't come from any commission, but it pretty much came from "gifts" i.e. telling DH "by the way this is my birthday present from you" a few times.

I justify that I don't buy clothes for myself ever and rarely if ever go out so the income spent on those things as well as gifts DH would need to purchase for me for birthdays, Christmas go to that. Every year we get money from his family and I do SAB order with my portion.

Otherwise I just don't get things. A little paper here and there, but I truly have no need for those diecut machines or other things from Michaels. They don't call for me and I couldnt' afford them.

Oh I do make a lot of gifts with the things I buy so I justify purchases there also, LOL. I have cut back work this summer to manage the construction of our house so I will be making all the gifts we need to give for this year to offset my loss of income and I am happy that I have enough ink, stamps, and paper to make quite a bit of gifts!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Holy cow girl! All I can say is, can I be your SU demonstrator? You can be my adopted customer. LOL!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Default How do you afford it?

My DH has sled dogs.Talk about an expensive hobby. Iworked for years and years to help maintain the dig yard. Always refused to feed or scoop. /figure it costs DH from $250 to $450 a mointh depending on number of dogs in the yard at any given time. That's a lot oif stamping!!!! My cards probably cost me $50-$75.00 depending on how much I spend on new stamps, paper, ink, punches or other fun supplies. I still figure it is cheaper than therapy!! LOL
Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #62  
Glitter Guru

I can afford this hobby because I decided not to have children. No, no, just kidding. Seriously, I buy all my paper at a local paper warehouse which caters mainly to businesses, which limits the colours I have, BUT, I find deals on paper like at 5 cents a (thick) 8.5x11 sheet, and each package would have 250 sheets. The average price though, is usually 8 cents a sheet (of at least 80 lb 8.5x11 cardstock). I never buy patterned paper. Instead, I have a few stamps that I use to make my own patterned paper.

Also, an earlier postor mentioned going through double-stick tape like water. Well, I buy only the rolls (not the holders) of double-stick tape (two rolls for $3.8 at Walmart. Each roll has 500 inches, so that's a 1000 inches of tape for $3.88. Also, when I use it, I cut the tape in half lengthwise, and only used it along the edges of whatever I'm mounting, unless it is Cuttlebug-embossed (then I don't split the tape). I can't use glue where I live because of the climate - the card would fall apart after a week.

I also make my own embellishments - like photo holders - I just cut out the shape from cardstock and make it two layers thick - yeah, it's not the metal, but hey, I can buy more stamps with the saved money, ya know?

Also, like an earlier postor mentioned, I have started to choose solely unmounted if the company offers the option. Good quality clear stamps (not the cheap crap from China that Inkadinkado uses - I know, because I have some, argh) are my top choice, but unmounted stamps are a close second. They are cheap and much more portable.

I also save money because I restrain myself from buying any set that has an English phrase stamp in it. My stamping language is French.

And it IS true - over the years, I think I am spending less. I think very very hard before buying any more flower or girlie stamps because I have tons of those stamps already. I also try not to buy anything that I can hand-copy.

Also, after discovering my love of watercolouring, I never spend money on markers or any other colouring medium. Um, but I DID spend $$ on watercolour tubes. But each tube lasts forever.

Also, since my style involves a lot of colouring, that would mean line stamps mostly, so I am hardly ever tempted by a new colour of ink pad.

As for guilt, well, I do shower an older friend with cards for her personal use. She is too old to drive so it's one less trip to the Hallmark store for her to worry about.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

At one point, I was only allowing myself to use money I earned from selling my cards to buy more "stuff".... well, that worked for a while and it helped me to acquire more things. Kind of a self-supporting hobby you would say! Now I am not selling as many cards, but I am still spending. I only use coupons when I shop at Michaels or Joanns, and I also buy in bulk from Stampin' Up, waiting til I am in need of several things before making an order, to cut down on shipping. Good luck!!

Please take a stroll through my gallery!
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=76367
Old 05-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

I found that in the first few months I started stamping, I bought SO much. But now, it has levelled off where I'm only buying a stamp set here or there, or refilling on card stock, now that I've "stocked up" on the supplies I'm using most of the time. My mom also stamps with me, so that helps... we can share the costs.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

I go through phases with buying things and I originally became a Stampin Up Demo to save money. I'm strictly a hobby/discount demo so I don't make any money off of this hobby of mine, plus I'm not totally loyal to SU stuff.

I have a good job and after we've paid the mortgage, bills, childcare, socked money away, etc, I can pretty much do whatever I want with what's left over. Some months I spend more than others

I do plan to sell off a bunch of SU stuff soon since I'm seriously contemplating letting my demoship lapse and I'll use that money for my crafting supplies until it runs out.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Old 05-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

I've cured my problems once and for all, I became a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator last year and now I get loads of stamps for free and I'm making money too. Sure, I know this sounds like a bit of advertising but for me personally it's solved all my problems of "how can I get money to buy more craft stuff". Oh... and my husband is thrilled too so that's a bonus for me.

Cheers,
Angela
www.angelasargeant.com
Old 05-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Just remember there are worse things to be addicted to than stamps!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

I wish I could have a party & earn free stuff!! The only local stamping friend I have *is* my demo ~~ wouldn't be much of a party, lol!!

And how awful is this ~~ I decided to NOT buy the retiring sets I want. There are about 5, but I can't afford 5 sets & I decided I don't really *need* them right now. I figured a few months after they retire I can find them on Ebay or at a rummage cheaper. Well, my friend/demo decided to run a special ~~ JUST received her e-mail ~~ buy 2 retiring sets, get the 3rd 1/2 off. ARGH~~~~ Just when I thought I got a grip on spending!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Going unmounted has been the biggest savings ever!! I buy more stamps than I ever have and am spending about 1/2 of what I would be with the wood stamps.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

The most important thing is never EVER to try to figure out what one card costs. It's never cheap and you just don't want to know, they are all priceless.

I have an "allowance" each month that I spend on this. In theory it's for all my frivilous (sp??) spending, but ALL my that type spending goes to stamping. I've wanted a new purse for over a year but I can never seem to spend my "stamping dollars" on a purse. SU should make one!

That helps me a lot.

I agree though that you won't always spend like you have been. ($450 in a few weeks!)
Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh lets see, how do I afford this hobby of mine.......?

My demo has a $30 workshop for a few months, that is one way I try to budget but that still don't work for me, cause there are just too much I either need or want.

Then we only have Hobby Lobby and Joannes here, I wait til the stamps go on sale 40 - 50% off and buy certain ones I want or I use the online coupon they offer.

Happy Stamping
Tami
Old 05-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

I almost always buy my non-SU supplies with either a 40% off or 50% off coupon. What was an $80 cuttlebug, quickly became $40. I've used coupons for all of the embossing folders and dies I own as well. I have found my three young children to be a great help too...it's not exactly fun to take three kids 4 and under into a craft store so Mom can buy something that's not for them. I do shop online though and am a sucker for free shipping if x amount is spent.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:51 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

Between DHs greens fees/clubs(2 sets)/accessories/magazine subscriptions/balls/tees/shoes....yadda yadda...
-
-
-
-
-
-
he is almost caught up to me.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #74  
Embossing Fanatic

remember...crafts not crack!! lol
Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #75  
Embossing Fanatic

WOOHOO! My grandparents are roaming LEX, KY today & they just called to say they would go by Michael's for me later this afternoon & call to let me know what $1 goodies they had in store!! I can't wait!! I don't have a Michael's close enough to goto very often, so they enable me to get some good buys at Michael's for $1...has anyone gotten any good $1 stamps from there lately?? Got any suggestions on which ones they should scout out & get for me?? I am brand new to stamping, so I don't have but maybe 10 stamps in my whole collection, so anything will be *new to me*.
Thanks!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a very limited budget but still spend some on stamping supplies each month because it brings me joy and creative outlet. As a beginner it is hard because I am still trying to acquire paper and ink (frustrating when a color challenge comes up and I don't own that color yet...but I'm getting there!). I have taken shortcuts in expenses such as no cable tv, not cutting my hair, no eating out, no new clothes, walking or taking the bus instead of spending money on gas for the car, and using the public library instead of buying books. That way I have a little money each month to slowly build supplies. Currently saving up to buy prismacolor pencils (think I'll use EBay)!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #77  
Glitter Queen

Smile

I have gotten my craft/stamping/scrapping supplies little by little (and sometimes lots LOL) over the years. You can find stamps on clearance at the different stores, ebay can get you some good prices on older stamps, you can have a catalog party if you don't have anyone nearby who is into stamping. I have stamps I have purchased 20 years ago I still use on a regular basis, so the cost of each stamp, sticker, paper, etc. really doesn't matter- this is my creative outlet, relaxing time, send someone I love something unique and part of me time. Just buy what you can afford and it will eventually add up. If you join a good online group you can join in round robins too- you take what you like, replace it with something you are ready to get rid of and it only cost postage. Just some ideas- hope they helped.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is a thought that my teacher told us to do to stop impulse buying with our credit cards. She told us to freeze them. Like literally put them in water in the freezer and then when we want something, we will have to wait until it unfreezes in order to buy it. Then, we will think back and find out if we actually needed. She said it cuts down on the impulse buying. I thought it was funny and decided to share it with all of you.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #79  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy
P.S. Milwaukee Mommy I'm in your neck of the woods... West Allis. We should stamp sometime.
I am in Oak Creek!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #80  
Polyshrink Goddess

Starting off is expensive indeed but as it was said above. It does dribble off the longer you are at it. I find that I go through fazes that I buy buy buy and it seems more like collecting than anything. Then I just sit back and say Karen that is enough for now. Use some of the stuff that you have then buy more. I also quit smoking a year and a half ago so this is cheaper than that habit was. I think that we all spend money on something I just think that it is better to spend it on something that you love and something that makes you feel good and eases the pressure and stresses of everyday life.

Just my 2 cents worth
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations