Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Default How do you all afford this craft!!??

Ok. So I've been a noncommittal stamper for a few years, I've had stamps and pads but never REALLY got into it until about 6 weeks ago. In that six weeks I've spent, oh, I don't think I should add it up or I'll scare myself, BUT I have purchased at least:

$200 in SU stuff
$50 in misc. stuff at Costco
$80 at Michaels
$50 at Ben Franklin (oh Amy Butler and Grey's you slay me)
$70 on a Cuttlebug + a $80 lot of dies on Ebay
a ton of other random lots on ebay

And I am sure there are several that I'm not thinking of! This is NUTS! And I'm going to a stamping expo at our local fairgrounds this weekend so I'm sure this isn't the end of it. In addition I haven't made my last order to SU before the sets are retired. And I want the stamps from PaperTreyInk...I am going to put my husband into the poor house!! Making cards is no cheaper than buying them, are they? I thought maybe I could use that excuse...

I have a brand new baby at home and she is my first, so needless to say, I don't have much time to myself. What time I do have lately is spent here and making cards. It is bringing me so much joy, but I can't believe how much money I've spent!

So how do you do it?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I hear ya! The last time my MIL came into town and say my craft room she said Wooo! How do you guys afford this? My husband said well the way I figure it is cheaper and healthier than sending her to therapy!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Stampingbella.com has a stamp that sums it all up for me:

stamps: $645733
supplies: $787258
handmade card: priceless

Right now I'm on a spending spree...tax refund...it'll end soon though. There are a few threads in which people discuss ways to save money. One way is to stay off of this site. LOL!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Definitely, Katie! But then where would I go for inspiration??
Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

try to use what you have. trade images w/ friends even here on SCS ladies swap/ RAK stamped images.
right now all you need to replace is the paper you use.
spend time w/ your beautiful daughter. stamp alittle to relax.
chatting here is free.
try not to buy all you see.
the stamp expo can be costly. set a budget. i try and only go everyother year.
look under the section for get togethers near the bottom of forum page.
you may have alot of ladies to stamp with.
just last year a group of 13 met. this weekend there are now 42 meeting to stamp the day away.
we even have our next two dates set. one in aug and then in oct.
to break up the stampin fun we are taking a bus to IKEA in jul.
great fun.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll tell you how I was able to afford most of it. I signed up as a SU demo, had a few workshops, and over the course of 3 years, earned a great deal of it myself. But that wouldn't help you with all the other companies. Just a thought, although with a new baby, I'm not sure it would work. But you never know...

Sibylle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

This hobby can be very addictive. We need a 12 step program. I have spent plenty of $ over the years. May I make some suggestions?
Choose a style that you really like. Choose stamps within that style.
Sets are more useful. Everything coordinates.
Before you buy, think of what you will do with it.
Try to get a set of words for all occasions.
Set a budget, and try to stay within it monthly.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I joke about this subject, but it is actually a serious one for me. Buying craft stuff is a definite stress reliever and I love to stamp, especially with new stuff. And these crack dealers, I mean craft dealers purposely release new stuff slowly on to the market so we always have to have the next best thing!!!

I never go in debt, save money, retirement funds, etc. yet I am starting to really question what I am doing. I have no solutions at the moment.

To more directly answer your question, I pay for my stuff out of my salary. Now, off to earn some of that salary!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

My passion is stamping and creating cards for our troops. My husband's is buying classic cars. I never feel guilty for what I spend on my passion because it will never come close to what hubby spends on his. Although I think I'm catching up!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:51 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't buy things just because everyone else has one.

Prime example: Bellas and Paper Trey Ink. Both have stamps that are "absolute must haves" I have to wait until July for Bellas (my arbitrary waiting period) and as Paper Trey just made it to my list this week, I can't order until December.

I have LOTS of stamps. As cute as the bellas are and as wonderful as that butterfly stamp is- I don't need them RIGHT NOW.

I also only order from SU in bulk (so I get hostess benefits) unless I'm invited to a party (only once). So I do that once a year.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Stephanie, I did the exact same thing when I started stamping in January- Skipped the SU! part of your spending spree but I spred it out at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and my LSS just the same! For me at least, it's gotten better. Probably helps that I haven't set foot in my craft room in a couple of weeks, but even before that, I was down to just $1 stamps and stuff I could get on sale or with a coupon- maybe $15-20 per visit instead of $50-75! I've even managed to walk out of Michael's without spending a penny several times lately! So there is hope!

My Growing Gallery

Comments make me HAPPY!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

As my husband says, I can NEVER retire!!!! I'll be sitting in my cube when I'm 95 or perhaps 105! As Joan B says, I'm now off to earn some salary Gotta buy more stamps, gotta have more stamps......
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

When I first started stamping I was a poor dental student's wife. We didn't have ANY extra money for my hobby. I had to sign up to be an SU demo to support it. That worked!! 6 years later I own everything that I will ever need and have since retired as a demo. Now I just buy what I want but try not to overdo it. I have "somewhat" of a craft budget every month to buy some things. I wouldn't suggest going out and buying so much in the beginning unless you can really afford it. I don't believe in going into debt for stamping.

My Gallery
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holic
Stampingbella.com has a stamp that sums it all up for me:

stamps: $645733
supplies: $787258
handmade card: priceless

Right now I'm on a spending spree...tax refund...it'll end soon though. There are a few threads in which people discuss ways to save money. One way is to stay off of this site. LOL!
I want that stamp! LOL

Seriously, I find it comes in waves, some months I spend more than I intend to, ususally because I *had* to make a trip to Michael's or some other supplies store, usually because read/saw a technique/tool that I wanted to try.

In general tho, I try to balance my spending by working with what I have. I have many pages of my SU catty flagged for supplies I want, and keep a running wishlist. I order bits at a time based on the actual need vs the want, which means I tend to spend more on the tools side of things. I buy incrementally, and wait a little while before getting a new item, trying to evaluate it's versatility. I love punches, but only buy them when I feel hindered by not having them. I bought the oval at Christmas because I needed it for the dozen cards I was making. It has many uses, and I'm glad I have it.

Certainly it can be more expensive at the begining,when you're just starting to build your supplies inventory. Stick to the basics, crop with buddies to increase the share options, and *try* to set a budget. If you can't afford it, skip it. Living on one income with the added expense of a baby is a pretty good way to keep your spending in check!

One last thing: if you buy something on impulse, then regret it - return it!

Enjoy your time stamping and being at home with your little one. The therapeutic value of having an outlet for the many daily stresses of being the primary caregiver will easily outweigh the cost of your materials. So yes, it's cheaper than a shrink!

Cheers
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I hear you!!! I'm new to the stamping and card making too. I've done scrapbooking for years, but the stamping has opened up a whole new can of worms.

I decided to host a SU! demonstration recently because I saw other girls I know using the products in their scrapbooks. So, I had the demonstration, placed an order in addition to picking out my hostess stuff, then I placed another SU! order with my demo because I started getting into swaps here and needed more "stuff", I've been to A.C. Moore, Michael's, and eBay. Oye! And, I have another small list of more SU! things that I want to order next. Again, oye! LOL!

I'm thinking (...hoping?) now that I have more of a base supply of card stock, stamps, cleaner, etc., things will die down as far as spending goes???...at least a little??? Now I think I can be more choosy about stamp sets because I have the basics. Do I sound like I'm trying to convince myself? I am!

I guess I really have no advice for you. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone! I see we're in a couple swaps together too. Keep in touch!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Stephanie, I am in the same boat as you.

LOL. I love this topic. I personally only started stampin' around January 2007 and found myself completely addicted. I joined as a SU! demo recently because of the free hostess sets this month. I find it is really important to shop when there is sales and promotions. I got most of my tools i.e. paper cutter at Michaels with 50% off coupons. I hope being a demo will support my hobby as I don’t even want to think about how much I spent recently.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I've been a SU demo for about five years now. When I started stamping...and I resisted it for a while because I was a Hallmark addict, I used a lot of Michael's and Joann Etc 40% off coupons. You can only buy one thing with each coupon, but it sure came in handy. Once I started stamping, it was ALL I thought about!! I studied my SU catalog from cover to cover more than a few times. Anyway, I try to budget what I spend on crafts, I don't feel too terribly guilty when I do spend $ because my hobby of stamping doesn't come close to my DH's hunting hobby, nor his golfing! I'm the lucky one of the two of us because my hobby is less expensive in the long run....and I can get to it any time of the day without an appointment.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Two things:

1.) Stay off of SCS (ha ha) just kidding, kind of, but since I don't have anyone in person to really do this with, people here are my link to all the new things

2.) When I am in a store, I think about what I put in my basket, then when I'm done, I look at what I have and put about three quarters back. It is a good way to squelch that impulse. It really does work for me.

Cindy
Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: in a quiet library with plenty of books, a pot of tea, dark chocolate, and a purring cat
Default at first

Yes, at first you can spend A LOT on this hobby/addiction. But the longer you stick with it, the more 'refined' your purchases will become and you should actually spend less. I started stamping seriously about 5 years ago and blew a lot of money on impulse items that I never used. But I had to find my own style in that time, which helps me limit what I get today. And it doesn't feel bad to LIMIT myself either!
I was just working on my 'crafts supplies' list for my latest shopping expedition to the big city and realized I only had about five 'must get ' items on it, most of those were inexpensive like mini glue dots. And I sent my order to my demo from the SU! retired list and it was only for the Cheesecloth background and Finest Flourishes. That's it!
I am expecting our first baby in June (!) and know that between caring for a baby and losing my income, I will have less time and money to spend, but I don't mind. I have quality supplies and tools in MY style (not to keep up with the latest trends) and will have a great time creating!
Rachel V.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

We have made stamps with our local non-profit and you can make very nice cards with very little actual dollars! Just buy the real necessities and if you want something else wait a week and if you still want it use the 40 percent off coupon or see if you can find it on sale. I went to my first Stampin Up party about 8 years ago and now I have stamps for every occasion and I ask myself if I want it or need it! I have seen tons of nice sets at Garage sales! I bought over 50 SU stamps last week for less than one dollar at a school sale (everything you could put in a bag for a buck)
good luck!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I forgot to post this idea. But I always challenge myself with my stamp sets. For example I received my "reason to smile" set a couple of weeks ago and the is the only set I have been using. I like to make a challenge of it and see how many sets I can make out of it. Then, when my next set comes in I will use that one for the next month. It really allows your creativity to shine through and you tend to forget about all the other sets out there. Plus, you know you get good use out of your purchase.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

My 2 cents.

Learn a bunch of stamping techniques and make a goal for yourself. Something like, I will make 4 cards with every stamp set I own before I buy any new stamps.

Set up a group of friends and do a shoebox swap once a month. (You each bring 1 project and cut up enough of it for everyone in the group to make one. When your done you will have 4-5 cards, all different, based on how many are in the group.) That will help satisfy the need to try new stamps, paper, embellishments, etc...

When all else fails, set a limit. I can buy xxx dollars of stuff each month.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL ~~ yeah, the enablers here will really spend your money for you. I'd be much cheaper off if I'd never found this site. HOWEVER ~~ I also probably wouldn't be stamping anymore, since I've learned literally *everything* I know from the wonderfully talented people here.

It's hard in the beginning because you *want* everything. I've been stamping for a year & a half, & I've gone through spurts. It doesn't help that my very best friend is a SU demo ~~ makes it way too easy to order. But I've really cut back since the beginning, since I feel I have most everything I "need". I was just thinking yesterday that I cannot buy another stamp until I use some of the ones I have. I've inked them all at least once, but most of them have *only* been inked once ~~ they need more love than that!!!

I use a lot of coupons & shop a lot of sales!!! Peruse Ebay ~~ I've gotten a few good deals there
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
My 2 cents.

Learn a bunch of stamping techniques and make a goal for yourself. Something like, I will make 4 cards with every stamp set I own before I buy any new stamps.

Set up a group of friends and do a shoebox swap once a month. (You each bring 1 project and cut up enough of it for everyone in the group to make one. When your done you will have 4-5 cards, all different, based on how many are in the group.) That will help satisfy the need to try new stamps, paper, embellishments, etc...

When all else fails, set a limit. I can buy xxx dollars of stuff each month.

Hugs,
Gina K.
my sister's upline told her somethign like this when she started. Before you buy stamps, rationalize it - only buy it if you know you'll make X # of cards (her example and rule was 1 card for every $ spent on it) otherwise it was frivolous.

It ain't a cheap hobby. That's why it's a hobby. Most hobbies are terribly expensive - sheesh, green fees are outrageous for golf!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, & I'm also a member of the Wish-RAK group ~~~ really helps to cut down on the buying!! Sometimes, receiving an image will confirm that I *need* the stamp/set, but most times I'm happy with what I receive in the mail And, it's not limited to stamps ~~ you can wish for paper, ribbon, anything that can be put into an envelope!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Oh, this is a good question! I was a hostess in the beginning so I could earn free hostess stuff, and then I finally decided to take the plunge and become a demo for SU! back in 2002. Since then, not including my first year when I spent WAY too much, everything after that was paid for by my demo earnings and what I earned free from SU!.

Believe it or not, even if you don't do a lot of shows, you can still support your habit like many of us do.

OTHERWISE I'd be in the poor house!! lol

Visit my Blog!
See my SCS gallery
Old 05-16-2007, 05:27 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Another thing is to keep selling(ebay or whatever) those things you really don't use. I sold $200 worth of stuff last week and spent it on Paper Trey, and ATG gun and some ribbon this week. I try to always keep my spending to only what I have earned selling or to gift money that my friends give me for birthdays, etc. for stamping.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

You are all absolutely correct! This IS an expensive hobby, but aren't they all. My husband likes to ATV/4-wheelin'. That was so expensive to start, $7000 for the ATV, $60 a season for EACH location's pass/or $10-15 a day, then he wanted to take our kids with him, so add in 2 more ATVs for them @ $2500 a pop, then gas & boots & clothes, etc. You see where I'm coming from?! No "hobby" is cheap, but at least stamping/scrapbooking gives me something material to "show off". I think the greatest compliment I have ever gotten by making my own cards is visiting my grandparents last month & seeing that my grandmother had gone out, bought specific frames & framed most of the handmade cards I have sent to her since starting card making. I do not just stamp...actually very new at stamping, but I do paper crafting in several forms. Even paper is not cheap, you would think it would be, but it's not. Adhesive is not cheap, but I have an inside source for that since my Dad works for 3M...so he sends me goody boxes at least a few times a year chock full of Post-its, tape, etc. (it's ok,you can be jealous, hehe). It helps out some, but you just have to pass up some temptations if you simply can't afford them or won't use them. My rule of thumb is similar to the ones mentioned above...DO NOT buy unless it will be used within 6 months. I cannot tell you how much CRAP I have either given away or sold because I didn't use it up. I am def a collector of supplies, but I have been making a concerted effort to use them up lately.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

It definately isn't cheap to begin with - but overtime as you build up your supplies it does become "cheaper"...

Just make sure you will really use something before you buy it...I started really paring down my scrapbooking stuff...rather than buying things willy-nilly for my scrapbooks I wait until I have a bunch of stuff I want to do and then treat myself to a trip to the LSS and get page specific stuff...

with stamps and such make sure you will really use the stamp/stamp set before purchasing it...you can do far more with a handful of stamp sets and a lot of accessories than you can with a ton of stamp sets and very little in accessories...

If all else fails really encourage your husband in whatever expensive hobby he may have...it works well when my hubby says "You spent how much on that?" - I can replay with... "How much did your box of shotgun shells cost??? and what besides a torn up target do you have when the box is empty????"
Old 05-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I *never* let anyone see inside my art room cabinets.... then they won't know how much I have

Luckily, I have an extremely supportive and encouraging husband, and we are in a financial position that what I spend doesn't impact our ability to pay bills and eat

.... and I go in waves...
Currently in a spending wave.... but soon it has to slow down, it always does.

I tend to be a collector, too.... so that just compounds the addiction.

As far as waiting to purchase things.... too many times I have NOT ought something and then was unable to find it again - and so totally regretted not buying it - that if I see something - I buy it if it isn't ridiculously overpriced.

I always use my craft store coupons for big items and maintenance supplies (40% off) - but I use them whenever I have them... so it actually means more spending! Ugh....

I get worried sometimes that I have a serious problem... but then the spending wave always slows down and eventually halts while I use up the stuff I purchased.... or wait for the SCS enablers to show me something new.... like the Bind-it-All (ugh... waiting for Eclectic paperie to restock).

I can get easily obsessed and fixated on new supplies and tools and machines... and stamp images... and and and

Good Luck - you are not alone....
Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

i just try to pace myself!

in the beginning i was all over the map- buying this and that and everything in between!

then you'll find more of 'your style' and you won't be AS tempted to buy everything.

at least this is how it was for me.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyloescards
I have seen tons of nice sets at Garage sales! I bought over 50 SU stamps last week for less than one dollar at a school sale (everything you could put in a bag for a buck)
good luck!
WOW! What a great deal you got! As for me, I go in spurts. I spent a ton during SAB and had to slow down the last couple of months to save up for the new SU Catalog. I will be ordering the rest of the ink colors before the prices go up, so to do that I am selling a bunch of my old retired sets from years past.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

It's not cheap, but it's not the most expensive pastime you can have. Quilting and Golf are two that I wonder how anybody affords. If it's something you love you figure out how to make do with what you have and slowly build your essential needs. I have been stamping for 2 1/2 yrs. I just plan each yr what it is that I need to have and slowly move towards it. Stamps are the one thing I hold the line on. If I am not using it maybe I don't need it. I try to use what I have and use them with various techniques, color challenges, etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyevoss
It's not cheap, but it's not the most expensive pastime you can have. Quilting and Golf are two that I wonder how anybody affords. If it's something you love you figure out how to make do with what you have and slowly build your essential needs. I have been stamping for 2 1/2 yrs. I just plan each yr what it is that I need to have and slowly move towards it. Stamps are the one thing I hold the line on. If I am not using it maybe I don't need it. I try to use what I have and use them with various techniques, color challenges, etc.
Yep I sew and quilt too. I had a TON of scrapbooking stuff from 2001 when I started scrapping so when I joined a Stampin' Up club in January my husband said, "Well you should need very much." HAHA! And then he said, "But what about sewing?"
I still sew and am addicted to buying fabric (just check out my website's page about fabric and you'll know... it's not even all my fabric)

It's really hard when you see a cute technique not to go and get the tools needed.

My biggest question is WHERE CAN YOU GET GOOD AND CHEAP ADHESIVE?

I can't stand spending $5 on adhesive and having it all gone after 1 altered notebook and an OSW.

P.S. Milwaukee Mommy I'm in your neck of the woods... West Allis. We should stamp sometime.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy
my husband said, "Well you should need very much." HAHA!
Ooops make that SHOULD NOT...
Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

One thing to remember is that, initially, start up costs are high in any hobby. One you have the equipment, all you have to replace is the consumables (paper, ribbon, etc). If you use your hobby to make gifts, then you are probably saving money. If you sell your creations at crafts shows here and there, you are making money. In the long run, I find it to be an even trade. Actually, for me this is "therapy". With that thought, I am sooooo far ahead!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

All of my SU stuff is now free b/c I became an SU demo. Just something to think about. I am rjust doing two clubs per month now (not too much effort or time - and about $600 in sales per month = approx. $150 in income per month). So - if you really want to figure out how to pay for your hobby......

It's not alot of $$$$, but hey it does pay for my hobby, and by choice I am not pushing the business. Just food for thought.

S
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

My biggest question is WHERE CAN YOU GET GOOD AND CHEAP ADHESIVE?

I have saved a ton of money on adhesive by using the tombo glue in the green bottle. I was probably spending at least $10 a week on double sided tape. You can get it at www.scrapbookpal.com for $1.99 a bottle and they have free shipping when you spend over $25. I found it from this site. See, SCS does save you money!!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am very blessed that I don't have any debt and have a reasonable amount of discretionary money every month. But I am starting to feel guilty about the amount I spend on stamping. I mean, what am I doing? Who am I doing it for? I could sponsor some needy children through Compassion International, give more to local charities, etc. etc. I basically try to just replace consumables, but then I see something that I think I have to have. I think my hobby spending has gotten unhealthy, and I'm giving it a lot of thought lately. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, my DH loves to golf. That is an expensive hobby. I like to joke that I could never spend as much as he does on his hobby on mine. (But some months I come very close !)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.