Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Generally I keep pretty quiet on topics that can be considered 'touchy' but with stampers deleting their work because of the words of others bothers me to the point where I have to post. I am honored if someone cases me - it means that my stamping looks a whole lot better to them than it does to me! I am super critical of my work and seldom like my creations...there are ocassional projects that I am proud of but more less then often.

As for someone being cased and not being given credit or if you think that cased works should only be hidden from the public...if it is a concern for you then maybe upload it to a private or locked gallery where you know that no one who views it will case it rather than posting and then being upset if it's CASED and maybe credit wasn't given. Heck...I went to Seminar/Convention this year with another Angel who was hard pressed for time in getting any trades done and she is also insecure about her stamping and often CASEs....well, she loved a card that I did for a make n' take at an open house and I had cut way more than needed figuring that I would just make the extras for trades. I knew I wasn't going to get to them and offered to let her use my pre-cut supplies. She not only used my supplies but also cased my card exactly (except a different 3/4" piece of ribbon). I was flattered. She traded them at Convention and I never said to anyone..."well, ya know, that's a CASEing of MY card and she didn't even change the color or stamps." And I didn't even expect her to put 'CASEd or inspired by Jana' on it. I got my boost just from the fact that she loved them enough to CASE and trade at Convention and the fact that they also had a great reception by those she traded with.

I always tell my dh, who can sometimes get annoyed when our boys want to do the exact same thing as he does, "Honey - just remember - imitation is the highest form of flattery."

I think it's a sad day when we make others feel bad that they their creativity might come from imitation and they share those creations. Just because they might have used another's idea doesn't mean that they didn't put their own heart and soul into that creations. Not to mention the fact that I KNOW that many of us get our ideas from others! I know that the card I made the other day didn't have a notation, "Layout CASED from a sketch posted on group X, creative use of embellishment CASED from Magazine Y, and color scheme CASED from SCS member Alex M." (sorry Alex...you know your work inspires me and I love to pick on you! LOL!).

A plea to those that are afraid to post their CASEd creations...share, share, share...and be sure to let me know the links so I can see what the inspiration from others has given you!
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #82  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I agree. It you have changed colors, the style, etc....in any way...post, post post. I am going to start a gallery soon. It will be a lot of cards that are somewhat copied. I do not care. I want to be a part of this community and they say it is ok.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #83  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jana_angel_1251
A plea to those that are afraid to post their CASEd creations...share, share, share...and be sure to let me know the links so I can see what the inspiration from others has given you!
But I do have to note that I do think that you should give caseing credits when you can I know that it's hard to remember exactly where you saw it sometimes but an effort should be made to credit the original artist.

(Sorry if I forgot to add that to my long post!)
Old 08-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

I would never have made a card if I hadn't been shown, step by step, by a demo years ago...making a card just like her's! And the recipes in the Idea Book show exactly what to use...I guess I'm guilty of "case-ing" the beautiful cards here and in the Idea Book...maybe SU should offer a stamp that reads "someone else thought of this, and I thought enough of it to copy it!"

(Of course, part of the problem is that I don't have a creative bone in my body or idea in my head!)
Old 08-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #85  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysings
This is very sad. I started a gallery, but then kind of stopped posting to it for the same reason. And you know what? I don't like to spend much time in the gallery anymore, either. 'Cause I don't want to accidentally case someone and become a thread topic. Just not worth the risk.
Me too!! Very sad indeed. Was using my gallery for personal record because I am limited with space-wasn't using the gallery for fame and fortune or recognition-it's not worth offending someone.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2006, 06:40 PM   #86  
Kookie Creator

Default kind of confused

Being new, I guess I am wondering if I do a challenge and upload my card, can I help it that it might look like somebody elses? And in all honesty wow would I be flattered if somebody ever CASED mine. I came here to get ideas about stamping and to meet fellow addicts. Hopefully we are all here to have fun and stamp and not to complain.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #87  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cydstamps
Being new, I guess I am wondering if I do a challenge and upload my card, can I help it that it might look like somebody elses? And in all honesty wow would I be flattered if somebody ever CASED mine. I came here to get ideas about stamping and to meet fellow addicts. Hopefully we are all here to have fun and stamp and not to complain.
I said the same thing... I did a challenge combining the sketch and the color challenges, chose island blossoms... someone else chose the same sketch and color challenge, also using island blossoms... it was kinda cool that they were posted only 10 minutes apart but looked so simular.... but since mine was 10 minutes AFTER hers, does that mean I cased her? I don't think so!! I was too busy STAMPING to notice someone else was ALSO STAMPING using the same colors, layout and stamps....

the challenges are just that, challenges. They challenge you to create a card using a specific color combo or layout... it's bound to happen that with 90,000 people on this site (not even counting lurkers) that one or two people are going to do something very simular....
Old 08-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wasn't going to post here either. It seems like I've posted to SO MANY OF THESE just today! Like Jana, though, there comes a point where you just have to.

I don't give a flip WHAT your card looks like. If it's a 100% replica of somebody's. If you want to put it in your gallery, DO IT! It's nobody's business why you want to put it there.

As for the whole question of "CASE-ing," I guess I'll just keep browbeating you all with my opinion, lol. IF you set out to replicate Susy Stamper's project, you'll know it. Give her credit. Uh, that's about it. Everything else comes down to opinion.

I've seen way, way too many feelings hurt by this subject, and I have to say I get so weary of seeing people afraid to post because somebody might accuse them of theft, which is basically what the accusations are. That's just plain wrong.

Yes, I've been "CASED," and if there's any irritation, it's that I like the other version BETTER than my own. Man, that bites!! So, I can get over it. I suggest some of you all do the same.

Stamping used to be fun. *** happened?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:42 AM   #89  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Yes, I've been "CASED," and if there's any irritation, it's that I like the other version BETTER than my own. Man, that bites!! So, I can get over it. I suggest some of you all do the same.

Stamping used to be fun. *** happened?
As my bleary eyes look over my much needed cup of Joe, thank you for giving me my 5:30 am smile! (okay - so it was more of a snort, but ya get the idea!)
Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 AM   #90  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Never wanting to be left out of a subject with some teeth in it, I'll put my two cents in too! I've cased and been cased and I'm fine with it. I will freely admit that sometimes my creative juice is dried up and can only work when I can see another persons card and try and make it my own. I make lots of cards a year and sometimes you can't help but see something and want to case it. I'm so happy when people tell me they cased my work and many times it is alot better than mine, so please feel free to case my work. You don't even have to say you cased it from me!!!

Paula
Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 AM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, I have been quiet long enough! If you dont want your card cased dont post it. I love this site and all these emails about casing are going to stop people from posting. Can this please be the last forum on casing!!! Pretty please????

To All: Case me please...I would feel so very flattered!!!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Old 08-02-2006, 04:44 AM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cydstamps

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 AM   #93  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

I don't like to typically post to these type of threads, but the issue of casing seems like it never dies. Just recently I read an SU article in a demo publication about casing, CASE - copy and share everything -- it is encouraged by SU! I'm afraid that the only thing we are accomplishing by beating this issue to death is discouraging new stampers. Casing is how we all learned in the beginning isn't it? It saddens me to think we have stampers not starting galleries, deleting cards from their galleries, and afraid to share their work. Please start your galleries, post your work, and if you are inspired by someone or something, please so say. I'm quite flattered when someone makes a comment on one of my cards "I'm so casing this."
Old 08-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #94  
Hardware Hotshot

Well thanks to this thread I decided to go to the gallery and do a search under my name and found that someone liked a card I did and they CASED it! That made my day! I am just so tickled and flattered since I think my stuff is just okay certainly not CASE worthy, but someone did!! YAY
Old 08-02-2006, 05:01 AM   #95  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadSherry
I don't like to typically post to these type of threads, but the issue of casing seems like it never dies. Just recently I read an SU article in a demo publication about casing, CASE - copy and share everything -- it is encouraged by SU! I'm afraid that the only thing we are accomplishing by beating this issue to death is discouraging new stampers. Casing is how we all learned in the beginning isn't it? It saddens me to think we have stampers not starting galleries, deleting cards from their galleries, and afraid to share their work. Please start your galleries, post your work, and if you are inspired by someone or something, please so say. I'm quite flattered when someone makes a comment on one of my cards "I'm so casing this."
Well said!!!!!! Let's just all get back to stamping and enjoying our time spent on SCS!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:13 AM   #96  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApocalipsisR
I really think some people have taken this so personally. It makes me as upset as they are. I think we all have opinions and we can all voice our opinions. I thought the idea of this thread was to instill RESPECT about other people's hard work.
If you copy or CASE whatever you want to call it a card at least what you can do is recognize the original creator for inspiring you.
I didn't think anybody was prohibiting anything.
There are many ways of preserving your work and a PEN drive can do wonders plus it alows you to carry your work with you. They are very inexpensive now.
Some people just need to take a chill pill and count to 100 before they get so upset.....
Am I the only one that found this post funny! (Not trying to hurt your feelings, I just found it genuinely fuuny)
I'm sorry, I very rarely post to contentious threads because I don't want to fan the flames, but I really think we need to think about how our posts will affect others and in this case, I hate that some people's confidence and feelings got hurt.
Please, do not take negative posts as the opinion of a vast majority, lots of us love to see new people upload to the galleries, CASES or copies or not.
And to be clear, none of the above two paragraphs is related to the post I quoted. It is just my general feelings on the whole of the thread.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:30 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

What if I case myself?

Sometimes I will make the same card 3 ways. Changing colors or embelishments. Should I only post one?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:30 AM   #98  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Sherry you just inspired me to go ahead and upload a card I am VERY proud of. I think the original is the current card "most likely to be cased". I am posting a link to my card and to the original card. Mtnstamper did such a beautiful job with this one that I just had to make one like it....

Thanks mtnstamper for the inspiration!

My Card image may still be pending!

Inspiration Card

again, thanks mtnstamper for the inspiration!!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BsmtScrapper
What if I case myself?

Sometimes I will make the same card 3 ways. Changing colors or embelishments. Should I only post one?
snort!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:37 AM   #100  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furph's wife
Well thanks to this thread I decided to go to the gallery and do a search under my name and found that someone liked a card I did and they CASED it! That made my day! I am just so tickled and flattered since I think my stuff is just okay certainly not CASE worthy, but someone did!! YAY
Because of your post, I did the same thing -- thanks for the idea. I found 1 card cased with some change up and my card listed as inspiration. I was quite flattered, didn't know I was case worthy. I also left a comment that I was flattered that my card could be her inspiration!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:41 AM   #101  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BsmtScrapper
What if I case myself?

OMG I am in SO much trouble! I made FOUR versions of my sister's birth announcements, and posted ALL of them! The only thing I changed was the background stamp!! YIKES! Good thing I already deleted most of them, otherwise I might get STONED!!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #102  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Because of your post, I did the same thing -- thanks for the idea. I found 1 card cased with some change up and my card listed as inspiration. I was quite flattered, didn't know I was case worthy. I also left a comment that I was flattered that my card could be her inspiration!
Because of YOUR post, I uploaded a card I CASED AND I started a thread:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...11#post3128111

come share a card you cased!!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Me too!! Guess what...I inspired emilymomto3boys!! She's a superstar!! BTW, her card is much prettier than mine.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:55 AM   #104  
Mad Swapper

Because of the suggestion to search for your own name in the gallery, I saw that someone used one tiny idea I had had in her card and credited me for the idea. How exciting!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #105  
Hardware Hotshot

Ok you guys are craking me up and BsmtScrapper made me spew coffee on the screen!

I CASE myself...fool4scrapping.
Faerey Blog
Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #106  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

My two cents......don't sweat the small stuff!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #107  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothermark
My two cents......don't sweat the small stuff!

and second

it's all small stuff!

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Old 08-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #108  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
Me too!! Guess what...I inspired emilymomto3boys!! She's a superstar!! BTW, her card is much prettier than mine.
WOW -- it's makes ya feel good doesn't it!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #109  
Matboard Maniac

OK, I tried to do a search with my name and not only was I not cased (big surprise there), the search didn't yield anything....Not even the cards I actually made! What did I do wrong?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:22 AM   #110  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
Wasn't there just a thread about this a month or so ago? I remember it vaguely...

And yes....personally, I CASE things and add my own stuff or take stuff away and make it my own and then upload it so that I have it somewhere. Why do I upload it if it's a CASE? In case something happens to my computer, like last night....when my laptop just died and sudden and irreversable death....and took all my cards save on there with it. So I am glad for SCS's gallery for that very reason!

Also...sometimes I see a card and don't think much about it and then a few weeks later make a card and don't remember that someone made one very similar. There are so many great and fabulous ideas on SCS that it's hard to keep track of!!!

JMHO!
These were basically my thoughts as I read this thread. I used to make two of everything so that I could send a card, and have a copy to remember what I did. Now I've learned to use my scanner, so I can keep a file on my computer of all of my cards. However, I too have had a computer crash (not since I've been uploading cards), and then everything would be lost. With the gallery, I still have it. Also, the gallery lets me conveniently make a list of everything I used, so that if I want to duplicate it later, I can. I also get to tell a little story behind it if I want to, and it is saved there forever. (My memory is starting to fail me a little these days.)
I must admit, I do not upload cards that I do at a workshop, stamp camp, etc. That doesn't seem right, so I just save them to my computer, and hope that I have them forever.
If I decide to case a card here, I make sure to write down the person's name and give her credit. However, I almost always change one or more colors, the stamp set, a sentiment, or embellishments. If I change everything, it's hardly the same card, but I still will put inspired by. I'm not sure if I have to do that, but I don't want anyone mad at me.
I don't get many comments anyway, so it probably doesn't make much difference how I handle things.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:23 AM   #111  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonda
OK, I tried to do a search with my name and not only was I not cased (big surprise there), the search didn't yield anything....Not even the cards I actually made! What did I do wrong?
It doesn't show your own gallery, just uploads that others have made with your name mentioned or a RAK that you might have sent if they acknowledged you.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #112  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

To find your gallery, go into Members Galleries, then put your name in the search.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #113  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
Because of YOUR post, I uploaded a card I CASED AND I started a thread:

come share a card you cased!!
And what a great thread it is -- have already visited and posted!!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #114  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the answers about doing a gallery search for your own name....All has been made clear to me, no-one has cased me! Oh well, maybe some day.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM   #115  
Glitter Queen

Default Casing is a form of flattery

For the "Caser" especially for newer stampers, uploading their cased creation may simply be a form of pride that they were able to accomplish a creation that they may never have created on their own. I'd like to think that simply that is their intention, rather than to "steal" an idea from another stamper.

For the "Casee" I suppose if one is upset that one of their creations was posted without giving them credit there are some who might be upset, and some that might be flattered.

For me, as a "casee" I am flattered. When my awesome demo Kathleenh returned from convention a few weeks ago, she was so nice to call me and let me know that my "punchy vest" card was demonstrated on stage at the Stampin Up convention.My thought was "Holy Toledo, Batman!" I don't know how that came about, but it really doesn't matter. Her call, along with the thought that someone thought my previously posted card and instructions was worth noting, was enough of a pat on the back. Let's face it, when we post, we share. When it is shared, it is available for everyone.

So thanks to everyone who shares their creations on this site, for you are all truly inspiring both "Casers" and Casees" . It is all about each of us finding our own worth in being creative. Whether it is getting inspiration from others, or dreaming something up on our own. The most important issue, is that we "just do it", to enjoy what we love doing----stamping and bringing joy to others.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #116  
Kookie Creator

satmper-c and mothermark: amen!
kphorse: lol!

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Old 08-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #117  
Insane Embellisher

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the reason some people upload cards that they have CASE'd is because it takes them a LONG time to make a card, CASE'd or no, and they are proud of their accomplishment! Jeez, is that such a terrible thing?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #118  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korillian
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the reason some people upload cards that they have CASE'd is because it takes them a LONG time to make a card, CASE'd or no, and they are proud of their accomplishment! Jeez, is that such a terrible thing?
No, visit this thread:

Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #119  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Thanks for the answers about doing a gallery search for your own name....All has been made clear to me, no-one has cased me! Oh well, maybe some day.
it is possible that you have been cased but they only put a link to your card and not your name...

check the comments on your own cards and see how many people say they "will case this one for sure!".....
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #120  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I am glad I could help! YAY!!