Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotel info for next year's convention

Anyone that has been to convention in SLC in the past give me any info on hotels that are close to the convention center and that are not so expensive. I am taking my family with me and it already will be a costly trip. Just want some info. Also, how far is the airport rom there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the Marriott is closest. As for airport transport, there was info in our packets about the shuttle. I think it was $6 each way from airport to hotel, no problem at all. A pretty big and tricky drive though, if you didn't know your way around.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

We stayed at the Hilton in 2005 - I love it there. The Shiloh was gross... we were supposed to stay there for one night (can't remember why), and our room smelled and service was so poor that we walked back to the Hilton and they found a way to accomodate us there. It was about $100-110 a night, which is pretty good for a nice hotel like the Hilton. The Marriott was a little closer, but it was a pretty minimal difference. If you family is bringing (or will be renting) a car, you could stay a few blocks away and probably save more $$. HTH!

My attempt at a blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I stayed at the Hilton in 2005 and had no complaints. It is a short walk (maybe a city block) to the Convention Center. Last year we stayed at the Shiloh becuase it was a little closer (right across the street from the Convention Center entrance closest to 'main stage'), a little less money and included free hot breakfast. Well, that was a mistake -- a transformer outside the hotel blew up one night and we had no power (which meant no A/C, no lights, no elevators, no hot water, no hot breakfast) and our room happened to be right above the area where they were working all night. They did comp us one night's room cost, but during the power outage, their customer service was greatly lacking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

If you are bringing your family, and cost will be an issue...I'm sure there is a lot you can find close. SLC has a lot of places to stay...you figure they hosted the Winter Olympics a few years back. And typically the hotels that are right next to the convention center do cost more. I would look up some things on the internet...I'm sure SLC has a website with wealth of info.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephydoodlesView Post
Anyone that has been to convention in SLC in the past give me any info on hotels that are close to the convention center and that are not so expensive. I am taking my family with me and it already will be a costly trip. Just want some info. Also, how far is the airport rom there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Motel 6

There's also a Motel 6 about 4 blocks from the convention center. My husband and I stayed there last year and we had our car, so he just dropped me off each morning and then I called the hotel when I was ready to be picked up.....it was way TOO hot for me to walk much! Super easy, too. Just turned left out of the hotel, went to the light, turned left, drove down to the center, turned left again and right into the driveway of the center and then he would leave, turn right and then left at the first light and then straight back down to the hotel....super easy!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

There is a Residence Inn within a 20 minute walk. These are good for families because all of the rooms have kitchens and the family can save money on meals by cooking their own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I stayed at the Shilo the second session and everything was great for us. I will definitely stay there again. Directly across the street from the convention door and great free breakfast in the morning.

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also stayed at the Shilo session 1. There was nothing they could have done in terms of power -- the transformer was not their fault. They should have had some sort of plan in place, because the manager on duty was really left flat-footed and didn't know what to say or do. They comped us a night as well, and moved us when we got a room with only one bed but had specifically reserved a room with 2. I think the free breakfast and proximity was worth it in the end, and once the manager finally explained what was going on with the power (quite a while after it went out), I realized there was nothing they could do and went and found some stampers to hang out with in a local bar for the evening. Worked for me!

Long story short, were I going next year, I would stay there again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I stayed at the Shilo (2nd session) last year, and the only problem we had was running out of hot water. But that can't really be helped. Other than that it was great, also loved the hot breakfast. Didn't they also have fresh cookies daily...or am I just dreaming that?...lol

www.debbietompkins.stampinup.net

Visit my blog: www.stampnscrap4fun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the great info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is great information! Already planning on going to SLC next year as my first convention ever. Really interested in when I should begin making plans and booking reservations. I am totally in the dark on this subject!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdgTeacherStamperView Post
This is great information! Already planning on going to SLC next year as my first convention ever. Really interested in when I should begin making plans and booking reservations. I am totally in the dark on this subject!
Stampin' Up! says to wait until you've completed the reservation process to make airline and hotel reservations. Most people do not head this advice. I'm one that doesn't normally wait. However, with next year being SU's 20th anniversary, I can guarantee that convention is going to sell out ASAP probably quicker than the 15th anniverary one did. So, unless you make reservations that you can cancel you might want to wait until you are registered. It's a gamble either way, make them early you might not get into convention, make them late and you'll pay more for airfare and for hotel.
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I have to weigh in on the Shilo. Having stayed there numerous timestwice on family vacations and twice for convention, last year was a fluke. However, I did have numerous contacts with the corporate office in regards to how unprepared their staff was on the nice the transformer blew. I know it wasn't their fault it blew but the manager hiding in the office, the lack of water/flashlights/and other things to make guests more comfortable was ridculous. I just so happened to have the room right next to the only emergency exit so everyone was up and down the staircase by our room, the transformer was outside the window so the men were out there shouting and screaming all night and machines making noise. It was a miserable night and I started off convention more than exhausted. Consequently, convention was not a great experience for me last year. I am a person that does not do well without sleep and having NONE the night before the first general session was not good. I never recovered the whole time. I missed several classes because I went back to the hotel once there was electricity to shower. THe next day I missed a class because I was simply so exhausted I had to take a short nap. Anyway, after a couple of months of correspondence they refunded my entire stay, sent an apology and assured me that all their properties now have emergency plans in place (it's quite scary that they didn't have them in place before). Having said all that because I have stayed there several times, I would stay there again IF and only IF the price is right. If they are the same price as other hotels around the convention center, they would not be my first choice. I did appreciate the free parking and full breakfast in the morning but I truly felt the managerial staff last year was very unprepared and unprofessional.
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Two years ago I stayed at the Shilo and it was very nice. I will stay there again. Had an indoor pool and I liked that. Great for the sore muscles and feet of convention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I can't wait for Convention '08! I will be going for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Hi,
I am not a demo, so not going any year. but.. Tripadvisor.com has reviews from real travelers so you can search "salt lake city" or anywhere you are traveling and see what the latest reviews are for lodging you are considering. That might help decide if the Shilo incident was a fluke or not.

Hotel reservations (made through the hotel and not on a third party site) are generally cancellable (inquire about your right of cancellation when you book) and Southwest still has both completely refundable air fares (more expensive) and will allow you to CHANGE your air fare on the cheapest fares (transferred to a different ticket, but it has to be used within a year of the original flight date.)

Have fun planning..

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndeelouView Post
Hi,
I am not a demo, so not going any year. but.. Tripadvisor.com has reviews from real travelers so you can search "salt lake city" or anywhere you are traveling and see what the latest reviews are for lodging you are considering. That might help decide if the Shilo incident was a fluke or not.

Hotel reservations (made through the hotel and not on a third party site) are generally cancellable (inquire about your right of cancellation when you book) and Southwest still has both completely refundable air fares (more expensive) and will allow you to CHANGE your air fare on the cheapest fares (transferred to a different ticket, but it has to be used within a year of the original flight date.)

Have fun planning..

Betsy

Thanks Soooooooo much will be looking there soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

When does registration usually start for Convention? Trying to plan the finances so that I can pay for everything right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by steffsscrapsView Post
We'll be there! Planning for an awesome SCS get-together are already underway! ;)

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just suggested to my mother that she and I go together - I'd go to convention and she could go to the genealogical library.

Neither of us can walk far - does anyone know what the best hotel choice would be?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post
We'll be there! Planning for an awesome SCS get-together are already underway! ;)
Oh yea Lori! Can't wait!
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlysonRRView Post
I just suggested to my mother that she and I go together - I'd go to convention and she could go to the genealogical library.

Neither of us can walk far - does anyone know what the best hotel choice would be?

TIA!
My husband frequently goes with me when convention is in SLC to do the same thing. Like I said, we've stayed at the Shilo most times but the Family History Library is on the other end of the street. So, I would recommend either the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel or the Inn at Temple Square. Both are closer to the library and neither is too far from the convention center.
HTH,
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I cant wait as well. It will be my first convention, or meeting of any sort actually!!! My bf and I (who hopefully is my fiance by then ;) ) are going to go and take a vacation at that time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by psladybugView Post
I stayed at the Shilo (2nd session) last year, and the only problem we had was running out of hot water. But that can't really be helped. Other than that it was great, also loved the hot breakfast. Didn't they also have fresh cookies daily...or am I just dreaming that?...lol

I agree, the SHilo was great wasn't it Deb! THe breakfast was awesome, free and fast! The rememdy we used for the hot water was just to shower at night. The hotel was FULL of demo's and everyone was up at the same time showering. No wonder they ran out! LOL.

I don't remember the cookies though............but that isn't saying much! I am definatly going next year. I am so bummed I am missing this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

In 2005 I had my family with me and we stayed at the Embassy Suites, four LONG SLC blocks away from convention center. I made my husband get up early and drive me! It is a pricey-but-worth-it place with free breakfast buffet, indoor pool. suite-style rooms with two TVs and a tiny fridge.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Hello Ladies!
I'm not sure if anyone has shared this information with you or not, but since I live in Salt Lake, I'll give you some tips. We have TRAX (mono-rail) that goes right past the Convention Center and it is the "Free Fare Zone". It picks up at the Delta Center (about 4 blocks away) and goes down to Main Street and then heads south.
There are a lot of hotels on 600 South in SLC which is about 4 blocks south of the Convention Center and a lot of them are on 100 West 600 South which 2 blocks from the TRAX. The Shilo is an OLD hotel, so you are going to have more issues with it. Marriott is across the street from the Convention Center and there are a few others around the corner.
I hope that helps!!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Next time we go to SLC I will avoid the Shilo. Yeah, it was close - on the corner across from the proper entrance door to the convention center. But as someone else said, it's an old hotel, and you could tell. SLOW elevators creating seriously long lines night and day, the lack of hot water (I'm at the Hyatt in Denver now and it seems I could run a bath all night and it not run out!), being placed in the wrong rooms and having to go up and down again to get a new one (and for us the 2nd was MUCH smaller and we were there with 2 little kids!), bedding that was worn with holes in it, and the whole place felt quite dingy. My UL stayed at the Hilton, which was just half a block further and just about the same price. It was VERY nice!

We picked the Shilo originally because of the free parking and free breakfast. I never did get to try the "hot" breakfast because when I tried, I got no service. The "cold" breakfast was reasonable - and certainly a savings over stopping at the coffee shop here in the Hyatt, for instance. But the overall feel of the hotel left me with an "ick" feeling, and I won't stay again unless they make some BIG changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasStampinView Post
My husband frequently goes with me when convention is in SLC to do the same thing. Like I said, we've stayed at the Shilo most times but the Family History Library is on the other end of the street. So, I would recommend either the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel or the Inn at Temple Square. Both are closer to the library and neither is too far from the convention center.
HTH,
Sharon
Thanks, Sharon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

FYI from a Salt Lake resident - the drive from the airport to downtown is 5-10minutes at most. And it's all freeway. Once you have directions (I-80 East to I-15 South and get off at the 600 South / City Center Exit), it's that easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I stayed at the Mariott (just feet away from the Convention) a little pricey, but very nice....AND SHELLY and some of her staff stay there! I rode down the elevator with her several times. What a sweetheart!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

The first time I visited Salt Lake City for Convention I checked out the Convention & Visitors Bureau at http://www.visitsaltlake.com/visitor_info/index.html

I requested a free visitor's information guide. This was a very valuable resource for finding hotels in the area as well as maps. It helped me to plan ahead. I had a great stay in SLC and I did the same for Denver. I am very happy here at The Curtis hotel in Denver.

It is very wise of you to be planning so far ahead. Also SU! gets excellent room rates. While in Salt Lake I stayed at the Radisson around the corner from the convention center and loved it. It was one where SU! had room blocks.

In Denver SU! saved me over $100. I checked on the rates before SU! listed this as a reserved hotel. The rates varied by day and several days were over $200. I was so happy this was one of their selected hotels with a $159/night room rate.

I love to plan trips. I hope you have fun planning too.

Last edited by wrotemil; 08-01-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

TIA!
The Plaza (less than 7 min walking slowly) is at the far side of the CC but less than 2 blocks to the Genealogy library (less than 7 min walking).

Last edited by craftykate; 08-07-2007 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I stayed at the Marriot and it was very nice and so convenient to the CC. Right across the street. If I were going next year, that's where I would stay again. Maybe in 2009.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

TIA!
Alyson,

I have always stayed at the Radisson and the Family History Library is about a block away, or you can take the TRAX. The Radisson is at the back end of the convention center so you walk out the door and into the center. You just have to walk through it to get to the main stage. I have always enjoyed it.

Mary Kay

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for your suggestions, Kate and Mary Kay. I'm going to start planning ASAP :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

The Inn at Temple Square, which someone mentioned above, was torn down last year. It's been my favorite place to stay over the years and I was sad to see it go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasStampinView Post
Stampin' Up! says to wait until you've completed the reservation process to make airline and hotel reservations. Most people do not head this advice. I'm one that doesn't normally wait. However, with next year being SU's 20th anniversary, I can guarantee that convention is going to sell out ASAP probably quicker than the 15th anniverary one did. So, unless you make reservations that you can cancel you might want to wait until you are registered. It's a gamble either way, make them early you might not get into convention, make them late and you'll pay more for airfare and for hotel.
Sharon
Nice thing is when you make reservations yourself, you usually have until 6 pm the day you booked to cancel with no penalty. So it isn't a bad idea to keep watching on places like Priceline to get a great price. Now me, I usually wait until the last minute to do anything. LOL
Darnly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

We stayed at the Crystal Inn which was great. Good service, free full breakfast bar, clean, quiet, pool, sauna, jacuzzi,. Our group is not going next year because we are taking a cruise in May. ($$$$$) but if we were to go back ot SLC, we would no doubt stay at the Crystal Inn again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Default Hi Stefanie!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by steffsscrapsView Post
Me too!
We will have to definitely chat before hand!!

Cheers,
Stacy
Stampin' blog here
Reply With Quote Likes