Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Default In Home Parties (Workshops, whatever you call them)

Does anyone else absolutely hate in home demonstrations, parties, workshops- whatever?

I hate being invited to them... I dread having to go and be forced to buy cookware, make-up, "fun toys", and at one time stamps. (Now I'd love to go to a stamp party, but at the same time would prefer a stamp camp) My friends don't stamp, although most have been exposed to it so I (well before I moved and didn't have friends) felt like I couldn't have a party. We all have a mutual friend who is a demo, but not the demo I use. Home parties are just so ackward for me.

But then I never get hostess benefits. I try really hard to come up with large orders and place them infrequently, but man, I want it NOW- and I can't afford NOW and BIG.

So does anyone else love SU! but is totally a workshop hater? I love everything my demo puts on (once again, before I moved)- loved her stamp camps, loved stamp a stacks, like scrapbooking workshops- but even with make and takes at a home party there is always pressure to buy- "you are here to make sure your friend gets a good hostess gift"- and I just can't stand it.

Sorry, venting.
(Ironically I am thinking about becoming an Angel- and would have no problem demoing for workshops. It's not the workshop I have the problem with... it's the social mess that always seems to come with it for me.)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to, until I learned that I was entitled to say "no," and not be considered a "******." I value my time, lol, and most of my friends understood that it didn't mean I valued their friendship any less.

I remember getting stuck in one of those nightmare Tupperware loops several years ago. Scarred me for LIFE, lol! Ever since then I've felt comfortable only going when I wanted to, and if I host something, people know it's an invitation to have fun, not to buy. As a demo myself, I feel the same way. If I can't entice people to buy based on what I demo, lol, then the obligation is certainly not on the hostess or guests. Hope that made any kind of sense...

If you have a demo, perhaps you could request a sort of home party/stamp camp blend....where you invite people to a nominal fee-paid party. They would all get to do a little more crafting than at the average party, but benefits from any sales would go to you as hostess. Even though the sales might not be as high, at least you wouldn't feel like you were holding your friends hostage, as it were...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually don't mind them unless the demonstrator does anything and everything to get YOU to host a "party" as well. Or they try to get you to start selling whatever they are selling. I went to a candle party like that last year and it was just awkward to everyone, even the hostess. She wouldn't leave us alone. Especially if she found out you were a SAHM. Then she thought that would be a perfect part time job!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Smile Home parties

I too have always hated home parties! I tell people who invite me to them that I don't do home parties. I consider myself the only woman in the world without one piece of true Tupperware to her name.
I love Stampin Up and was thrilled to find a "group" to join. No we weren't social friends before this. We knew each other from church. We meet once every month and we take turns being hostess. We each agreed to spend at least $25 each time. This way we get the benefit of being hostess without the headache of an invitation list. It has been wonderful, we are beginning our 3rd year. Oh and we still don't meet outside of our group unless our Demo has an extra party that we happen to show up to.
Shelley
P.S. Thanks Chris Shively # 1 Demo
Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

All depends on the party. If it's something I love and use all the time like SU or Pampered Chef, then no problem. If it's something I hate (like the candles, purses, jewelry), then I hate when I get an invitation. For awhile years ago, everyone on my block would have PC parties. I still loved going and still bought one or two things, but I got tired of going to the same type of party.

As far as hosting one, I seldom ever hosted anything myself except for SU. I would have loved to have hosted a PC one but my kitchen area is so small that I would only be able to have a few people over for an in-home demonstration for that. After awhile, I already had so much stuff that it didn't make sense to have one (PC) because I really didn't need much more (plus still don't have the room). I hate the fact that I have to deal with my kids (getting DH to entertain them or take them someplace), having to clean my house enough to have lots of people over, trying to find a good time to have it, plus most of my friends have been to so many in-home parties that they're not really interested in attending anymore. If I want a bunch of stuff from a company, I'll usually just put in a big customer order directly with the representative. Most of the time, if the order is big enough, they give me the "hostess" benefits anyway.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I have only been to one part 20+ years ago and it was a humiliating experience to me, but I was around 10 - 11 years old and anything you have to do out of the norm can feel humiliating.

I would love going to parties for something I truly love, like SU, but no one in this neighborhood knows me enough to invite me to any homeparties. Kinda a blessing that way.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm with you Skittl1321, I don't like going to them and I don't like hosting them. The first time you go to one it seems ok but then you get invited to another with the same demo/rep/whatever and you get to hear the same story of why she/he is doing what they are doing. Play some game. Hosting is not fun for me either. Clean, clean, make food, and then no one shows. I tell people you don't have to buy anything but they still do and I know how they feel cuz I'd do the same thing. So now I just say no.

And I've been on the other side too. I'm a Mary Kay consultant. I use to always tell the guests that no one had to buy anything because the hostess would get benefits even if sales were $0 but I could tell a "I feel I have to" purchase from a "I really want this" one.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon
Clean, clean, make food, and then no one shows.
LOL! That so happened to me! I cleaned like a crazy woman and had tons of food. I even contacted people to guage their interest before I even threw the darn thing. They all said yes, then at the last minute, they cancelled on me. I hate having parties, I don't want people to feel obligated to buy something.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm glad to hear others here feel the same way. I was really wondering if I was the only one... so many people are always talking about how great the parties they have are.

I just hope that I can find a good demo here who does good camps- and possibly a stamp group to be part of... and stay away from the "party" scene.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I think they are high pressure guilt induced buying functions and I won't be part of them either as a hostess or a guest. One of my worst experiences was being invited to "bring no gift baby shower" only to be handed a Partylite Candle catalog after the first game and the cake and being TOLD to order a gift for the mother/baby from it. I left early with a "headache". Arghhhhh!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

A partylite gift for a mother and baby??? I succumbed to this guilt (I've never had a party at my house until my stamp party last night), but I was careful about who I was inviting and it turned out just fine - it helps to have a no-pressure demo - that is for sure. Thankfully when you haven't been to one in awhile, people stop inviting you.

"Life is full of gifts. Look for them."

I've made it to 50 cards!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I think they are high pressure guilt induced buying functions and I won't be part of them either as a hostess or a guest. One of my worst experiences was being invited to "bring no gift baby shower" only to be handed a Partylite Candle catalog after the first game and the cake and being TOLD to order a gift for the mother/baby from it. I left early with a "headache". Arghhhhh!
Well I guess technically, you didn't bring a gift... but it wasn't Give no gift?

I can't believe that though...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974

That is unbelievable!
I used to attend parties, but never really wanted to have one. Then I succombed to a very ambitious Tupperware lady. I invited tons of people in the neighborhood, and only one lady showed up. It was awful! I was so embarrassed! She continued to contact me for quite a while to have another, but I was not going there. (We can all buy Tupperware at the kiosk at the mall now, or on HSN, I think.)
I've attended lots of Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, and Candle parties. I always buy something whether I want to or not, but I never have a party.
The difference for me came when I went to my first SU workshop. I ordered stuff, and immediately knew I was going to have one at my house. I, too, hate the cleaning, and I wear myself out making lots of nice food. I've done quite a few over the past few years. I always place a big order at my own workshop, and I get great hostess benefits! I also attend other people's workshops. I am starting to feel, however, that some of my friends are not really interested, so I need to stop inviting them. This is making me think it might be time to take my demos suggestion to become a hobby demo. The discount is enticing! I won't have to clean any more. If I save up, I can get a little hostess benefits. Best of all, I won't be forcing my friends into buying things they don't want.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I am so with all of you. I can't stand parties, yet I am ironically an Angel... I guess the difference for me between Stampin' Up, TAC, and the rest of the home party companies is the prices. I mean I went to a Party Lite party and while the candles were nice and all, it was nothing I couldn't get for way cheaper at a Tuesday Morning or TJ MAXX. I could not bring myself to subject my friends to that. But the stamp parties, well, TAC may be cheaper than SU, but they are both bargain basement compared to a craft store. At least with SU and TAC your friends (or customers, if you're demoing) are actually getting a deal!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:42 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslauri
But the stamp parties, well, TAC may be cheaper than SU, but they are both bargain basement compared to a craft store. At least with SU and TAC your friends (or customers, if you're demoing) are actually getting a deal!
You know, I think the other difference is stampers can also hold camps- where people pay a fee to learn, with absolutely no sales pitch in there at all. At least all the stamp camps I've attended if you wanted to order something you had to mention it to the demo, and she would find an order sheet. Neither demo brought it up to us.

A candle company can't do that.

But soo glad to know there are other SU/TAC fanatics out there who don't like the party aspect
Old 07-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Tastefully Simple

Tastefully Simple parties are such a pain to host!!! I was unaware that I had to make all the food! Oh that one was so not fun. Some of their stuff is good but not worth it to me.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

As a person who has avoided hosting home parties, I can appreciate those who don't like having them, but as a demo I am really glad there are people who do!

As a customer, I have a simple set of rules:

1) If I don't like the product, I don't go and I don't buy unless the party serves another purpose for me like meeting people in the neighborhood that I don't know well, etc. At that point, I would probably buy something small out of politeness.

2) If I do like the product, I will go if I have the free time, otherwise I might get a catalog and put an outside order in if I need anything.

3) If I absolutely love the product, I might just host my own party. But only if I can be sure that the people I would invite would like or love the product enough to come. I don't want to waste the consultant's time and money by getting them to come to my house for nothing.

In my life I've hosted two Tupperware parties, one Partylite party, had a catalog show for Pampered Chef and hosted one SU! workshop. The only reason I had the Partylite show was because I was the only guest at my friend's show and she guilted me into it. But in this case I agreed because the consultant had a group showing that I could participate in: she had a KoC hall for the event, I gave her a guest list, SHE sent the invitations and all I had to do was show up. I didn't have to clean or cook or do anything. I would do that again in a minute. I only had 2 or 3 people come off my guest list, but they bought enough to get me some nice 1/2 price selections.

THe one SU! workshop I had had 3 people come to it. I ended up buying enough out of my own pocket just to get to $150, but, believe me, I didn't mind!

What I've found as a demonstrator is that there are groups of ladies who really do enjoy going to and hosting home parties for all kinds of companies. They have them regularly and attend each others parties to help each other achieve their free goodies. That's great, but I also appreciate those who would rather not. For them, I offer classes. It's all good. I don't pressure people into having workshops; I just try to make mine fun enough that someone would want to...pushing people to do things they would rather not usually backfires, I find.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink