Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Hey Teachers!!!!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/hey-teachers-363585/)

malice67 07-19-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherberts (Post 10599073)
Probably means a "get to wear jeans to work today" pass. We are not supposed to unless it's a field trip day or payday Friday.

guess I'm lucky -- I teach high school and can wear jeans any day I feel like it. never thought about it only being alllowed on certain days

kathat 07-19-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherberts (Post 10599073)
Probably means a "get to wear jeans to work today" pass. We are not supposed to unless it's a field trip day or payday Friday.

I've only worked in one district with a dress code and I remember looking at what I was not allowed to wear and running next door and asking my friend "Is this for real?"

I'm working in a really liberal area and I'll probably wear jeans once or twice a week. I'll rarely wear a suit :-)

gingerd 07-20-2008 02:26 AM

Hijack explanation.....

Yes, that is what it is! Our district also will do fundraisers and let us wear jeans for $1 a day.....we raise money for kids to go to summer school, families in need, and breast cancer.

So--that's what we do!

Ginger

stmprkb 07-20-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathat (Post 10520302)
Ok, I'm a brand new elementary principal and I want to get started on some things to welcome my teachers to a new year. Any suggestions?

Can you come to FL and be MY PRINCIPAL? 8)

I have a man principal-- and he is...ahem...not very creative or into goodies!

Kim in FL

gingerd 07-20-2008 05:03 AM

I've had a male principal for 11 years. Now, throughout that time he was open/willing to do whatever for us--oh, and he had "help" from his assistants! So, we got goodies, but most of the time it was food. Which in my building is no small feat! I work in a building that is 1-3 with 1300 kids and 125 staff--and our partner building also is 1-3 with another 1300 kids. That building has it's own administration.

So--there may be hope, but give him some suggestions-hints-clues....

Ginger

jnsyr 07-20-2008 05:51 AM

It's so wonderful that you are thinking of your staff like that.

I agree that jeans passes, leave at 3 passes, etc. are great, too.

One thing i suggest--after a few weeks into the year, begin writing personal notes of praise to each person on staff. We get "you're important" stuff sometimes, but it is all the same and not individualized at all--so we don't end up feeling all that important as individuals! I know that, right now, you don't know your staff much if at all, but with time this can be a real boost.

Lyndie 07-20-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITeachKindergarten (Post 10527371)
Little candy pouches are always nice...
A teacher MUST have a stash of chocolate!

I would echo that, but some people are diabetic, like me. Be careful with the candy.;)

tamijo 07-20-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerd (Post 10520776)
Anything you do for them will be appreciated!

You could make clipboards, cover the large candy bars, alter a comp book, a coupon to take their class for 30 minutes during the day (on going throughout the year)--oh, and if you do the class thing--please bring a book or something to do with the kids. Please don't make the teachers come up with work for you to do with the kids, that defeats the purpose.

Bagels/juice for breakfast....popcorn/pretzels.....ice cream sundaes....

Classroom teachers receive so little, especially at the Elem. level. They hardly have time to go to the bathroom let alone anything else for themselves.

Enjoy the challenge--it is a very different world you are entering...

Ginger

I second both of these! I have taught for the past 10 years and always at the early childhood level. Sometimes I have to send a kid to hunt for the ta so that I can run to the office or use the bathroom!

Seriously though- we have a new principal and it is going to shake things up this year but I doubt she'll be making us little goodies! Where do you live- maybe I can move??? :)

Scrapping&Stamping 07-20-2008 01:44 PM

I'm a middle school teacher:

Jeans passes (I can only where them on Fridays)
Altered clipboards (I use a clipboard almost daily)
Little plants to liven up classrooms