Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Help! problem with white craft pad

Ok, here's the deal. I am a scrapbooker that likes to use stamps in my scrapbooks. I make cards, but only when I need to give one to someone. I have been using the classic ink pads. The only craft pad I have is the white. I have hardly used the white pad because of the slow drying time. So it's been in the drawer for about a year.

So now I'm hearing rumors that there will be craft spots in the new catty and I thought that would be a great way to start using craft pads in my scrapbooks instead of classic. (so far I've had no fading issues, but I would feel better knowing I was using the more fade-resistant ink) So I decided to try some things with the white pad this afternoon to get used to using a craft pad.

Total disaster! I wanted to use it on dark cardstock and it just seemed to bleed right into the cardstock. I tried solid stamps, outline stamps, nothing worked! I even tried putting clear embossing powder on it and heat setting it and I still ended up with an image that was just a lighter version of the color of the paper, not even close to white! (yes, it was SU paper) The pad is still plenty wet enough, so that wouldn't be the problem. Has anyone had this problem with their white craft pad? Because I'm not so sure I want to invest in the colored spots if I can't emboss a decent image with them. Are the craft pads in the 48 colors the same as the white ink?

If anyone can answer these questions I'd really appreciate it. I've read so many posts here on SCS from people who like the craft pads because the ink color stays true on colored cardstock but that is absolutely the opposite of what my white pad was doing! Sorry this got so long!

Julie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you answered my first question. You are using SU cardstock.

My craft pad works fine with dark cardstock. It doesn't stand out and look bold white or anything, but you can definately tell it is white. Are you inking your stamp well enough on it? I know mine sometimes looks a little oily on the top and I have to dab it with a paper towel before I stamp with it, but other than that, I'm clueless!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for your reply, Amy, I just tried patting my ink pad with a paper towel to get some of the excess and I'm getting much better images now. I also think I was "smooshing" the stamp down on the pad too hard (like I said, I only use Classic right now) and a lighter touch seems to get better results. I also tried a different color paper and I think the white just shows up better on Forest Foliage than Brilliant Blue. Thanks again for your response.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I'm getting ready to order the white craft pad, so this thread interests me. Instead of wiping if off with a towel (which always makes me feel like I'm wasting precious ink) could it be stored for a day or two so the pad is right side up?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 06:10 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think so. I hardly ever use mine which is why I think it gets a little oily on top. I've had it for over a year and have probably only used it a handful of times. You don't have to mash it with a paper towel or anything. I just barely wipe the top. Just where it looks a little oily. It is still very juicy. I just barely lay my stamp on the top to get some ink on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Hi ladies -
Where I live, I need to store my craft pads upside down during the hot and humid days of summer or the emollient (sp?) (that oily stuff) seems to want to separate from the pigments (that colored stuff) on my craft pads.

I try and work it back into the pad when it does happen - I think you need that oily stuff to keep the pigments from drying out - its what I tell myself anyway.

Julie - you are so right! It really is a totally different approach for inking up! A light touch is really needed. I have noticed that the white pad is the worst (messy, sloppy, gooey) of all the SU craft pads.

There are some real pretty backgrounds made by running the ink pad directly onto the cardstock in any pattern or swirl. Might be a way to quickly use up some of that excess juiciness in a pad.

Hope this is of help.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 07:40 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Lynn, you just answered the other question from my original post. That the white pad is goopier than the other SU craft pads. If the rumor is true, that there will be craft spots, I think I'm sold. Sounds like it might be a good purchase during SAB time, perhaps get the BB and EE sets, which I use the most. I just don't have the space to have 2 different types of full sized pads. Thanks for your help.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're looking for a very distinct white....try using white embossing powder over the white craft ink. I know what you mean about the bleed through image. Often after stamping I can still see the cardstock under the inked impression. I don't mind it...it is kind of a neat effect. We did some white flowers on red card stock and it turned out kind of cool. I like stamping butterflies with the white ink on darker card stock. They look great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Basurok, I was just thinking of that a few minutes ago! I don't currently have white EP (new catty, PLEASE get here!). I also seem to have solved the problem of the extreme bleed-through by sopping up some of the ink off the pad and using a much lighter touch, both on the pad and the paper. I just made some really cool snow pages for my scrapbook and the snowflakes look really good! Now I just have to wait for them to dry.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I use the white EP on white craft also and get the best results that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get a beautifully white image when using the Craft Pad, so your concerns have my curiosity piqued.

Hmmm. Depending on the color of the c/s beneath, it CAN pick up a subtle hue of the paper color beneath, but very subtle, and seems to happen when use Real Red c/s, etc.--very intense colored c/s.

BTW, I have very little success using it on "printed"/white core papers, but then, I have the same problem with other brands of white pigment ink as well on same type of paper, so I've ruled out that that has anything to do with the brand of ink; it's the paper.

OK, so, if you have an oily film on top, it tells me that the glycerin in your ink has possibly separated from the pigments. Try taking a plastic knife and smooshing the surface of the pad to "re-mix". This is not an uncommon occurrence, and happens occasionally with my Encore metallic pads, and this little trick can help combat that issue.

Also, when you REINK your pad, make sure to shake the refill bottle well before squirting it onto the pad, as this separation of pigment and glycerin can also occur in the refill bottles.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Oooooh Julie! I hope the rumor is true!

It sure sounds like it's true!

Stampin' Spots in craft inks at an affordable price!
Craft re-inkers sold in families of 12 too!

I'm so excited for everyone who is looking forward to getting these!
I think they are going to be a big hit!

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the tips everyone. JulieHRR, I was using Brilliant Blue cardstock when I had this trouble, but after sopping up some of the ink on a paper towel, and using a much lighter touch, I got a really good image on Forest Foliage paper. I also wonder if my stamps have something to do with it, when I was having this trouble, I was using a stamp that I've used probably a hundred times, but when I used a stamp that I've only used a few times, it seemed to work better as well. And the first stamp also had a much finer detail, and the second one was bolder lines. I don't know, but whatever, my last two projects I've tried with the white pad came out great so I really think it was the excess ink at the top of the pad. And thanks for the tip about shaking the refill bottle when I reink, I haven't had to purchase the re-inker yet so that's good to know when I need to.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If what you're looking for is...

If what you're looking for is a nice, *bright* white image, try this. Similar principle as poppin' pastels, but specifically using white craft ink...

Stamp your image in your white craft ink as you normally would. Using a clean (and ideally a *specially designated*) sponge dauber, coat the dauber liberally with White Chalk from your Stampin' Pastels. Using a *direct* up and down motion, tap the dauber on to the white stamped image. *DO NOT* drag the chalk-coated dauber across the image - you'll smear the wet ink. Blow the excess chalk off and set aside to dry.

Now, here's the *fun* part: Want a *red* flower on *black* cardstock? Use Real Red chalk instead. Want a *green* stem with that? Use Garden Green chalk. Start with the base of White pigment ink and just use the same *direct* up and down tapping motion and you can get *ANY* color to pop off of black c/s.

HTH! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default white craft pad

To answer the first question YES there are spots for craft ink in the new catalog. So hope your wallet is ready for the 1st.
Reply With Quote Likes