Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Help me let go.......

I am trying very hard to clear out my craft space & I'm having a big problem. When we moved last year I lost my 7 ft x 10 ft craft room w/ a door and now only have a 6 ft x 6 ft corner of our bonus room. I have so much stuff and I really need to get things better organized and usable.

Right now I'm going through all my stamps & trying to get rid of some of them. I am stamping out 4-6 of each image of all the stamps I'm planning on getting rid of, but I keep looking at them & wondering if I am going to regret getting rid of these stamps. It is a sickness. Why can't I just let go of some of this mess. It's not like I"m getting rid of it all, just some of it.

I feel like I can't buy any more new stuff until I get some of this out of here and there is so much new stuff that I really really want. The problem is I want it and all my old stuff too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Lots of people go unmounted and that saves them a ton of space. Maybe you can find better ways to store what you have and make good use of your limited space. Check out the stamping spaces pictured in the gallery for some very cool ideas.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Just last night I was looking at one of my sets that seemed so outdated. I thought for a brief second that I should get rid of some of my old sets that I barely or never use. Then I thought nahhh can't do it! Guess I'm not much help - more of an enabler!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Once I hit 100 sets, I decided that was my limit. In order to buy one, I would have to sell one. Now I'm seeing cute cards in the gallery made with sets that I owned at one time, but sold or traded and I'm not going to lie to you - I miss them! I've even thought about buying some of them back! I know this isn't helping, but I say if you are having that much trouble parting with them, find a way to keep them!

Can you post pictures of your space here? Maybe someone can offer advice on how to better organize or better utilize the space you have? I know someone mentioned going unmounted... personally I wouldn't care for that but if it works for you that would be a huge space saver!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am planning on going unmounted from here on out, but I also feel like I need to clear out some too.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Here's what I do: evaluate what you have. Anything that hasn't been touched in a year goes. Group like things together (paper, stamps, inks, etc.) and sell them in lots on eBay. Then, once you have all the clutter cleared out, organise what you have left and make sure you leave room for new stuff! Once you're to that point, take the money you made from selling your old stuff and BUY NEW STUFF!

Wendy
Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by willstampforfood
Here's what I do: evaluate what you have. Anything that hasn't been touched in a year goes. Wendy
Unfortunately very little of it has been touched or used in the last year. The move has really thrown me out of sorts. Finally starting to get back in to stamping & scrapping after a year and I feel like I need some new things and less of the old things.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I hear you ! I have NEVER been addicted to anything that way I have to rubber stamping, and have to have it all! I've had many crafts over the years, I'm a Grandma, so not just starting out, but for the life of me, I just cannot stop myself, and I don't know why! I've never been like this.
I look around my craft room, and I cannot believe the $$$ I have sitting there.
It is very scary.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Please, Please don't get rid of them! I found a carasol CD holder and now have 120 of my sets not necessarily SU ot TAC in the holder. Create a notebook file of each CD case and unmount. You won't be sorry. I know that you spent a lot for them, but if you sell them you won't get your money back or even close! This way, if you get a yen to use a set, there you go. I have mine on EZ mount but many say that a cushion is not necessary if you put a telephone book or magazine under it.
PS. Each of my CD cases has a brief name description and a number and I use the number in the Binder to match. This is a great winter project. Remember, you don't have to do it all at once!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne
Unfortunately very little of it has been touched or used in the last year. The move has really thrown me out of sorts. Finally starting to get back in to stamping & scrapping after a year and I feel like I need some new things and less of the old things.
So get rid of everything and start fresh! Maybe the reason you aren't stamping is because your focus or style has changed. Keeping ANYTHING, not just stamps, but anything, just because you already have it and might use it some day is a lousy reason to keep something!

In this hobby there is always something new and hot to catch your interest. If you aren't interested in getting rid of everything all at once, try doing it in baby steps. Get rid of a few things that just don't grab you when you try to use them. Trade them for things that excite you! A hobby should never be a job. If it's to the point that you aren't enjoying it, you have to try something new!

Also, I know it took me sixth months after my last move to even think about stamping. I got tired of putting things away in a new place AGAIN. My stamp room sat in boxes for months before I did anything with it. Now, I have tons of ideas but no time to do them all! All my pretty things, just waiting to be used. But I'm finding my style has also changed and the things I have are going to need to be traded soon, before I become bored with the whole shooting match!

Wendy
Old 08-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary JB
Please, Please don't get rid of them! I found a carasol CD holder and now have 120 of my sets not necessarily SU ot TAC in the holder. Create a notebook file of each CD case and unmount. You won't be sorry. I know that you spent a lot for them, but if you sell them you won't get your money back or even close! This way, if you get a yen to use a set, there you go. I have mine on EZ mount but many say that a cushion is not necessary if you put a telephone book or magazine under it.
PS. Each of my CD cases has a brief name description and a number and I use the number in the Binder to match. This is a great winter project. Remember, you don't have to do it all at once!
On Saturday I unmounted 2 of my SU sets and mounted them on EZ mount. What I found now is that they don't fit in CD cases. Is there a trick. It is only a set of 8 but I don't want to have to use 2 cases for 1 set!! HELP!

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 08-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by willstampforfood
So get rid of everything and start fresh! Wendy
Funny you should say this. It is exactly what I did with my scrapbooking stuff. Now I'm starting to feel the scrapping bug again just recently so I'm going to very slowly buy stuff agin, but try very hard not to over indulge with all the need toys & stuff again.

You could very well be right that I need to do this with stamping too.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I confess, if I have a large set it will call for two cases . Then I just put label them for example Set 50A and 50B. I have found many cases sometimes free at garage sales but always cheap as many people are now downloading their music.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Default How to cut back

I'm very certain that this will not be a popular suggestion....But....Split up your sets. Most sets have stamps that I use and some that I don't think I'll ever use. Get rid of the ones that you don't like out of the sets and re-organize your stamps out of the plastic holders. I know, I know....that goes against the Stampin' Up! way of coordinating sets, but people are always looking for individual stamps. In fact for some sets I've seen individuals go for more per piece than the set does on ebay. Another suggestion....don't stamp all those images, unless you really, really think you'll use them....That only adds to the clutter. There are lots of nice ladies on this and other sites, who are always willing to help a sister out and send stamped images on whatever color cardstock you need. Also...look at duplicates and be brutal...for instance how many pansies does a person need? Floral sets can be killer....pool together your like stamps and get rid of your least favorites. If you really can't let go....Box up what you think you can live without, store it in the basement and see if you can really live without it. Once you've decided you really don't need it, get a friend to post them or sell them for you so that you don't have to agonize over it. Good luck!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

My suggestion is to box up the sets you want to sell and see if you miss them, after a certain amount of time bring them back out or maybe you 'll be more able to sell! Good luck, I can't get rid of anything!