Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with slit punch!!!! HELP!!

OK, I feel really stupid right now. I just got my slit punch yesterday, and I'm trying to use it to make a gift certificate holder. I have a sheet of cardstock, scored twice to make a trifold card. I thought I'd mount the gift certificate on a separate piece of cardstock and attach that with mono to the center panel, horizontally.

I'd like to use the slit punch to make a tab-and-slot closure for the holder. I'm not sure how to explain what I mean, but the idea is that the person would open the tab closure and the gift certificate would be in the inside, in the center panel. So I'm trying to figure out how to correctly punch the top and bottom panels so that the punch is facing the correct 'direction" for this. But it seems that no matter which way I try to punch, it's not working correctly. The punch won't reach far enough to allow me to come at the cardstock from the correct direction to make it the way I THINK it should work.

I'm very ... challenged by this. Like, I don't do puzzles! Can anyone help? If possible, is there a gift certificate holder in the gallery that uses a closure like this, that I could look at? I'd appreciate any and all help!

Thank you!!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

As far as I know, you won't be able to make it work. What you can do is cut off the third fold, trim the top flap a little shorter than the back, punch the back so the front piece slides in the slit.
I have a sample...I hope it shows up....
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with slit punch!!!! HELP!!-cr_pears.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Trifold Card

Okay, so you are making a Trifold and you want the gift certificate to be on the center when the person opens up the card.

What I would do is this.

I would cut a piece of card stock the size of the middle fold. I would use the Slit punch on that. then I would mount it in the cert after you have done with it what you want. If your certificate doesn't fit into the slits in the corner the qustion is could you mount the certificate on cardstock to fit the slots. Does this make sense?

Kind of late where I am, LOL. 11:38 p.m. Hard to think

HTH,
Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:42 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

SU needs another slit punch going the opposite way. When my upline got her punch we played around with it and decided that right away!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

so...i wanted to order the slit punch...is it um kinda worthless?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:38 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Pinefeather, that's exactly it! I kept looking and looking at the punch, and staring at the cardstock, and scratching my head. At least I'm glad to know that I'm NOT that stupid, that I thought it would work but just couldn't figure out how to do it!

You're right -- SU needs another punch, facing the opposite direction. If I had one like that, this would work. Gah!

To be honest, this kind of thing is why I bought this punch! BUT ... I think I'll do what Henry'smom suggested -- that's the kind of thing I was trying to do. THANKS!!! I know that way will work!

Sandybeach -- I don't think it's worthless, but it won't work for what I was trying to do, darn it! I love it, though, for the gift card holder/gift certificate ideas, and I think I will use it A LOT for that. I probably will just stick with double-fold cards, and give up on the trifold idea.

I'm also going to try to work on something related for a Valentine's Day project for a workshop.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP!! Now I'll be able to sleep without thinking about this for hours!!!!!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes