Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Exclamation Help! I just got asked to sell cards....

Someone who owns a local flower shop saw one of my bridesmaids cards and approached me to sell cards in her shop. I've never sold cards and have been leery since (I think) you can't really put a "price" on homemade stuff... but she insisted that I make around 20 to try in her shop.

I guess I have a few questions... what do you think about this? Have any of you sold your cards? What kind of price range to do you think I should ask for (considering she'll tack on something as well to make a profit I'm sure and that will end up being the retail price)? And lastly, if I do these 20, what types of cards do you think are appropriate for a flower shop?

Any input would be appreciated!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

As long as you know you can't use SU stamps for those cards -- you will have to use some stamps that have an angel policy that allows you to sell to a store or to a business for resale.

Even if it is those little cards with floral arrangments, I was told that was a big no no because it would be purchased by the business, even if they weren't being officially "sold" to the customer in the store.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

With that being said, are there still any other suggestions/answers to my questions?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

If she is wanting you to sell them to her "wholesale" I'm not sure you could do it- the "retail" price would be HUGE.

I would say a simple card (two-three layers, a few brads/eyelets, maybe ribbon, but no extraordinary technique) would be $2. More extravagant, up to $3.50.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have taken some of my cards to work and sold them ... last year at Christmas ... and they sold for $3.00 per card. They werent plain, but not super fancy. Guess it depends on how much work goes into your cards ...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

congrats!!

I'd start by visiting some florist shops and do a little market research. What size are they selling and for what price??

You'll want sympathy, birthday, anniversary, valentine's, thinking of you, get well, and blank. I would think that the florist should know. It is hard to make a huge profit on this because you will be buying supplies retail and then the florist shop is going to mark up the price. Regardless of the size you select, I would sit down and make 10 cards. Add up the cost of every single supply -- don't forget the envelopes, adhesive, etc. Time how long it takes you to make the cards.

Materials + time + profit = your charge to the florist. Good luck!

ps. make sure you have clear plastic sleeves for these cards. they'll get handled a lot and you don't want them to get ruined by folks who are just looking!

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought that the idea behind SU's "angel policy" was that to sell cards using their stamps, one had to stamp the back with the "stampin' up" logo.

QUOTE=pigfingers]As long as you know you can't use SU stamps for those cards -- you will have to use some stamps that have an angel policy that allows you to sell to a store or to a business for resale.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought that the idea behind SU's "angel policy" was that to sell cards using their stamps, one had to stamp the back with the "stampin' up" logo.

QUOTE=pigfingers]As long as you know you can't use SU stamps for those cards -- you will have to use some stamps that have an angel policy that allows you to sell to a store or to a business for resale.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am fairly certain that cards using Stampin' Up stamps, cannot be sold in permanent retail establishements, period. I had the same offer posed to me, but after doing research, had to deny because of their strict policy. Someone please tell me if I am wrong on this. Thanks!

Please take a stroll through my gallery!
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=76367
Old 08-30-2006, 05:06 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysmom
I am fairly certain that cards using Stampin' Up stamps, cannot be sold in permanent retail establishements, period. I had the same offer posed to me, but after doing research, had to deny because of their strict policy. Someone please tell me if I am wrong on this. Thanks!
I am by no means a demo or anything but I am almost certain that you cannot sell your cards in or to a permanent retail establishment or website. The SU hand made stamps for the back along with their angel policy, allows someone to sell their cards at seasonal things such as crafts sales etc.

That was my understanding at least.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Yup, that's right...no permanent retail locations and no Internet sales. Selling at fairs, work, or from your home is okay as long as it has the copyright stamp on the back.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

With all of this said, why not do what Joan said, take in the cards (with the stamp on the back) and sell them to the owner of the shop. In other words, you are not doing it on consignment. It would be as if you sold a stack to a friend at work. What she does with them after that, is not your problem. After all, you didn't approach her. She approached you. If she becomes your best customer, great!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I sell my cards for $3 each to friends. The fancier ones, say using the new long open ended envelopes I sell for $5. They get bought without batting an eye!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
With all of this said, why not do what Joan said, take in the cards (with the stamp on the back) and sell them to the owner of the shop. In other words, you are not doing it on consignment. It would be as if you sold a stack to a friend at work. What she does with them after that, is not your problem. After all, you didn't approach her. She approached you. If she becomes your best customer, great!
I don't think you would want to load the owner of the shop into a situation like this knowing that they cannot be sold in her shop. That seems kinda wrong to me, but thats JMO. I also don't know if the owner could be sued or what by SU since their policy is no retail sales. And I know you're probably thinking, How would they find out & would they really do that? Well... I don't know, but why would you put a customer in a position like that to possibly find out the hard way? JMO.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree that I would sell them outright to the florist rather than work on consignment.
The others are right about not using SU stamps in this case. That being said, there are A TON of companies with fantastic angel policies. If you need a list, I have done some recent research and have about 50 or so companies whose only request is that your items not be mechanically made, but rather hand stamped.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraos
I agree that I would sell them outright to the florist rather than work on consignment.
The others are right about not using SU stamps in this case. That being said, there are A TON of companies with fantastic angel policies. If you need a list, I have done some recent research and have about 50 or so companies whose only request is that your items not be mechanically made, but rather hand stamped.

Laura
I know that TAC will let you do it, so will Hampton Art Stamps, After Midnight Arts and many others. When my line comes out in October, I will allow that also. It's important to make sure that you aren't selling something that will get the owner in trouble in any way. You never know, someone may see them in her shop and order them for their own business. You could build this into something big! Good for you! Go for it!
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

slight hijack, Gina, you're going on my list! I love your designs - can't wait for them!

Laura

Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
Yup, that's right...no permanent retail locations and no Internet sales. Selling at fairs, work, or from your home is okay as long as it has the copyright stamp on the back.

So this applies to everyone? I always thought it was just for demos. Well, if it does apply to everyone, it's good to know before someone gets in trouble or something.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraos
slight hijack, Gina, you're going on my list! I love your designs - can't wait for them!

Laura
Thanks Laura! That's so sweet!
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Yes it does apply to everyone.. and I can't wait to see your designs Gina!
((. .. Beth theangelcompany #3332
-::- ((. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Not to get off subject from the OP but here is SU's Angel Policy.....

http://www.stampinup.com/us/document...olicy_2006.pdf

It states right in it that you cannot sell to someone who will be reselling it in a retail location. Something like that.

Good luck with your opportunity!

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

This link may help:
http://www.rubberstampinglinks.com/angel-companies.html
This lists tons of companies and it has infoabout their angel policies. Plus, you can click through on their websites and read their policies in more detail.
Good luck in your new venture!
Gina K

Old 08-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much everyone for all of the great info!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm just wondering, could you not put them at the florists and leave your name and number on a card to just take orders?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:50 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Default selling cards

Hey there,

i agree with lynnwithanne. You can sell them to her. YOu are not selling them to a business per se. What she does with them after that is upto her and has nothing to do with you. just make sure you do put you stampin up logo stamp on the back and i think you'll be good to go. Also, thinking of you, baby, sympathy, happy hellos, birthday and loves are all great kinds of cards to do. My mom sells some for me and the thinking of you and happy hellos go over really great with this audience. Hope this helps you out!!!!

Funsil
Old 09-10-2006, 05:15 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Try some stamps with angel policies, there are tons out there. You don't need to use SU stamps, and frankly, I think SUs angel policy is kind of behind the times. If you do a search online, you will find several stamp companies that have angel policies, and their stamps are wonderful. I love SU stamps, but that is a main reason why I do not buy alot of them.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michael's/Joann's/Hobby Lobby; depends on who has the best sales!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaNel
I'm just wondering, could you not put them at the florists and leave your name and number on a card to just take orders?

I think that's a GREAT idea, I'm looking into selling cards myself and have been stuggling with these same issues. How to price? What stamps? I'm anxious to see what you all have to say about this idea. Shelly
Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I can't comment on whether it's right or wrong to sell them to her, but I do know that when it comes to pricing, store-bought cards are pretty expensive. Especially, the one that are fake-handmade. Be sure to price them high and not cheat yourself in the process. 3-5 for a card is regular.

I buy cards that my grandma sends to relatives. She likes Hallmark and rarely uses the cards I make for her(they are too pretty she says) but has no problem with expensive store-bought ones, so my advice is price high for handmade!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.--Winston Churchill.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

You cannot sell your cards to individuals who will be reselling them in fixed retail locations. I know that someone posted above that nobody would know but YOU would. I would just do the right thing and not worry about crossing any lines. That is if you would be using SU or CTMH stamps. If you are using others that have a broader "Angel Policy" then go for it.

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 09-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaNel
That's what I was thinking. I sell Arbonne, and we are not allowed to sell our products at a retail location, however we are allowed to display the products somewhere and then leave our business card with them for people to contact us....

I'm not sure how well that would work with cards though. Usually if you're in a flower shop you're buying cards for an event that day (at least I am!). You typically don't have time to call someone and wait to get ahold of them, etc.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

TAC is an angel company! The company encourages you to Sell your handmade works of art!!
((. .. Beth theangelcompany #3332
-::- ((. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Old 09-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Hmmm...there is a florist right next to where I work who is selling handmade SU cards, I was checking them out and did see that they were angel policy stamped. Pretty scary that they are being sold and not "supposed" to be. This shop carries tonnes of local art and such, I wonder if the cards are in on consignment or have been sold to her.

Sorry for the slight highjack... Good luck to the OP on her wonderful opportunity!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
Try some stamps with angel policies, there are tons out there. You don't need to use SU stamps, and frankly, I think SUs angel policy is kind of behind the times. If you do a search online, you will find several stamp companies that have angel policies, and their stamps are wonderful. I love SU stamps, but that is a main reason why I do not buy alot of them.
I have to agree here. I have slacked off on buying the SU stamps (although I am hooked on their cs) because there are many, many fantastic companies out there who have much better angel policies.

Laura

Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Bo
Hmmm...there is a florist right next to where I work who is selling handmade SU cards, I was checking them out and did see that they were angel policy stamped. Pretty scary that they are being sold and not "supposed" to be. This shop carries tonnes of local art and such, I wonder if the cards are in on consignment or have been sold to her.

Sorry for the slight highjack... Good luck to the OP on her wonderful opportunity!
It doesn't matter if they are either, they are both breaking the SU Angel Policy. I wouldn't mess with SU's legal department.

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Gee - I didn't know SU had that policy...that's too bad. I guess that will limit my purchases of SU stamps!! Most of my stamps are from other stamp companies that have angel policies, and I have been selling my cards for 9 months. I usually price mine at $4 to $5 but each one is more of a unique work of art with multi layers, special techniques done on each separate panel, with embellishments and also a paper insert in each card, so you have more room to write whatever.... Most people know that Hallmark cards cost almost that much and they are just mass produced. Also I am in a large metro area, so that price is not far out of the normal range for around here. People seem happy to pay that. If I do simpler cards, I usually price them less. Good luck!

My Gallery