Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Help with Flip-Flop Cards (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/help-flip-flop-cards-102889/)

Michelerey 12-02-2005 06:17 AM

Help with Flip-Flop Cards

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I tried following Beate's wonderful tutorial on making flip-flop cards, but they just won't come out right. The center, flip-flop piece is always too long on one side when I fold the card closed. It sticks out about 1/4 of an inch. If I just trim it down, then it doesn't look right when the card is opened, because the piece is now too small in the cutout area. I tried 3 times to figure out what I was doing wrong. Still haven't figured it out but have 3 pieces of cardstock cut and folded that don't look right. I've checked the gallery and everyone else's attempts look great. What am I doing wrong? Where am I misunderstanding the instructions? Help!

speanburg4 12-02-2005 07:09 AM

Are you following the written instructions or the download template? When I followed the written directions, my score marks were off on one side. But the template worked. In the written directions, I think the score marks should be made at 2 3/4 inches and 4 inches, not 4 1/4 as stated.The score marks should be at 2 3/4 inches in from each side. So if you score at 4 1/4 inches, it is only 2 1/2 inches in from that side. So it would hang out by 1/4 inch. I hope this doesn't make things worse for you. Try following the measurements on the template and see if that helps at all.

splitcoaststampers 12-02-2005 07:23 AM

we'll take a look at this and modify the tutorial if needed. thanks for asking!

lacyquilter 12-02-2005 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speanburg4
Are you following the written instructions or the download template? When I followed the written directions, my score marks were off on one side. But the template worked. In the written directions, I think the score marks should be made at 2 3/4 inches and 4 inches, not 4 1/4 as stated.The score marks should be at 2 3/4 inches in from each side. So if you score at 4 1/4 inches, it is only 2 1/2 inches in from that side. So it would hang out by 1/4 inch. I hope this doesn't make things worse for you. Try following the measurements on the template and see if that helps at all.

Jennifer,

Thank you. I was having the same problems as Michele. The template works, but the tutorial directions don't. Thought it was just me.

clanderson 12-02-2005 08:06 AM

Thanks for catching this! I was getting ready to try and make one of these beautiful cards and would have ended up with the same question. Don't you just love this place! It's great! I'll go print out the template for future use.

mustangvm 12-02-2005 11:01 AM

Flip Flop Card

Do you have to buy the scoring blade separate from the cutting blade. When I use my "large" Fiskars paper cutter, I use a bone folder to score my paper. Thanks!

Beate 12-02-2005 03:24 PM

Sorry! Speanburg is right. On step 1 it should be 4" instead of 4 1/4".

lacyquilter 12-02-2005 03:37 PM

Thanks, Beate,

You do such awesome work on those tutorials, you are allowed an oops now and then.

Beate 12-02-2005 03:56 PM

THanks Melody!
Daven is fixing it right now.

amyjoy 12-02-2005 07:02 PM

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't me that was having problems with this the template did work better but I did notice that the size of it is not the same as what the directions say to start out with it's just a tad smaller.

I don't have a scoring blade on my paper cutter but on one of my bone folders there is a metal loop that is used for scoring paper. I also have a measuring grid. I like using that much better than the measuring on the paper cutter the measurements are so much easier to read and follow. These 2 items came in a card making kit that was actually designed for kids but I liked the style of cards and figured I could use some of the stuff in there, like templates, etc. that I got it for myself. The card don't look childish at all either. Maybe if I get brave enough I can make some of the cards/designs so you can see what I mean.

GarnetJ 12-02-2005 08:20 PM

There is another template for this kind of card at Stampington. I had trouble getting the proportions right on the "flips" and the "flops" on theirs too. Had to do some precise measuring before it worked.
http://stampington.com/html/tempting..._flipcard.html

stampinbird 12-02-2005 08:58 PM

Oh, I'm so glad you ladies caught this before I tried it out. And I'm glad Daven got it fixed! I'll go play tomorrow.

amyjoy 12-03-2005 07:17 AM

I just wanted to add that I printed off the template and used it as a template to cut out my cardstock and then followed the written instructions that the template & written written instruction cardstock measurements aren't right. The measurements are are 5 1/4 x 6 3/8 so I don't know if that is complicating things more too or not? Just thought I'd bring it up.