Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat gun and warped paper

Is there a trick to embossing on a single layer card and having the card stay nice and flat? As soon as I start to emboss, the paper starts to curl. I've put my card under a stack of books overnight and it's better, but has anyone found a way to prevent this?
Thanks,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I also have this problem so I would like to see what people have to say. I don't know if it's my imagination or not but I have turned the paper over and heated the other side and it seems to straighten out a bit. hth

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Try using the heat tool on the bottom of the cardstock to melt the embossing powder. I have had success by heating from the underside instead of from the top. Also, the heavier the cardstock, the more it will resist curling. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a problem with heat embossing and use that method on nearly every card I make.

It sounds as if you may be having one of two problems or perhaps both.

1. Don't hold the heat gun too close to your paper and hold it at a slight angle. Move it around in a very slow circular or back and forth motion in a small area at a time just until you see the embossing powder get shiny (melt). Do not hold in one area steady for any period of time. I'm assuming you're using a regular heat gun and not a hair dryer or some other heat object.

2. The paper you are using is best to have some weight to it. Using a thin paper (for instance 20# or 24# could be too light weight). I find it's best to use at least a light weight card stock. I do prefer heavier or textured best because of the look and feel. But you can also use vellum. Light weight vellum will ripple though.

If you're using the Ranger distress embossing powders, realize they don't get shiny. You really have to watch how long you heat them or you'll burn or ripple your paper.

As I tell people when I'm teaching an embossing class, you want to melt the powder, not cook it.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried wrapping an old magazine in a couple layers of aluminum foil and using it as you embossing surface? The card then gets heat from ablove and reflected heat from below. I find things emboss faster, smoother and with less heat.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Is there a trick to embossing on a single layer card and having the card stay nice and flat? As soon as I start to emboss, the paper starts to curl. I've put my card under a stack of books overnight and it's better, but has anyone found a way to prevent this?
Thanks,
Susan
Two reasons paper will warp when thermal embossed: paper is slightly damp; gun held too close to the paper.

Paper soaks up moisture like a sponge. Hold the gun a four or five inches from the paper and heat BOTH sides to dry it. If doing several projects at one time, place the paper on cookie sheets and place in an oven heated to 150 for five minutes. Allow heated paper to cool before stamping.

Embossing powder melts at temps between 260 - 280 degrees. Many heat guns reach heats up to 750 degrees; some reach a heat of 1000 degrees!. Hold the gun at least four inches from the paper when melting the EP.

Usually drying the paper AND holding the gun a distance from the paper eliminates all warping problems.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 03-10-2008 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Two reasons paper will warp when thermal embossed: paper is slightly damp; gun held too close to the paper.

Paper soaks up moisture like a sponge. Hold the gun a four or five inches from the paper and heat BOTH sides to dry it. If doing several projects at one time, place the paper on cookie sheets and place in an oven heated to 150 for five minutes. Allow heated paper to cool before stamping.

Embossing powder melts at temps between 260 - 280 degrees. Many heat guns reach heats up to 750 degrees; some reach a heat of 1000 degrees!. Hold the gun at least four inches from the paper when melting the EP.

Usually drying the paper AND holding the gun a distance from the paper eliminates all warping problems.
wow! tfs

i never knew the CS would be damp!

and i must admit... i prolly hold the gun too close.

thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I have had the same problem in the past but from all of the tips shared here I think I just hold my heat gun too close to the paper. tfs!
Reply With Quote Likes