Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Glueing sumi-e paper and trimming tips?

I have some sumi-e paper (a washi type paper I guess you'd call it) and I like to stamp on it. But I can't apply snail to the back of it, the paper shreds. Anyone use these types of papers and what adhesive do you use on them? (Maybe I should put the snail on the card and not the sumi-e)

Also - I have ruined several cards trying to trim the edges of a piece of cardstock that I have attached to it. You know, when you trim the edge that hangs over to be even with the card. I use a ruler (it's just a green plastic thing I already had and maybe that's the problem). I have seen videos of people trimming using no ruler. I'd like to know what others do. Maybe I'm just a klutz.

Thanks
RR
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You are not a Klutz, the paper is just very delicate.

Personally when I have used it, I have used small amounts of wet clue rather then tape, but you do have to be careful not to flood it. I have had most luck with a Quickie Glue pen - I think they are made by Sakura.

As for cutting, trimming is always tricky, as it can tear rather then cut, if it is on the edge of the card, you could flip the card over so you can see the part that comes over the edge, and carefullly cut it with sissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I apply the sumi/washi paper (any thin/delicate paper) to a backing, I use Miracle Tape/ScorTape to the paper. (sometimes I will use the 3M brand because I apply it directly to the thinner paper) If I try to apply tape with a roller applicator, it doesn't stick or tears. The direct method with tape with a peel off backing or 3M cut to length works for me.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I treat sumi-e, rice papers generally, and handmade papers as fabric and use Fabric-Tac successfully with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for those suggestions. I am going to try both adhesives.

And I guess my trimming is just going to be a matter of practice. I was using a single edge razor blade because I didn't have anything else. I just ordered a proper craft knife! Maybe that will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

If I am building a card front ( which is my usual ) and then the base is a seperate piece I tend to back those papers with cardstock so I can glue cardstock to cardstock, but I tend to run it through the sewing machine a lot too because it rips so easy to appy a tape type glue to it directly. If I know Im going to run a lace or ribbon across it in a spot I may stick a glue dot where I will have something covering that to help hold it in place while Im stitching and the trim is going to cover the glue dot bump. you just have to not have the glue dot where you intend to stitch. ( just close to it.)

did that make any sense at all?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

So you adhere the washi/sumi to cardstock using a sewing machine? Or do you glue it to the card front?

You probably explained it perfectly, it's me who is a little slow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

right sew it onto cardstock with a sewing machine and then you have that layer that can go onto a folded card base.

so if you wanted to wrap lace or anything else that needed stitched down skeleton leave stems... you could do it at the same time.

but, I dont make one layer cards very often. the other choice would be to sew it direct to the card base then line the inside of the cards to hide the stitches if you wanted.

( I keep clear thread on my bobbin so I dont have to change that all the time too when I change thread colors so, I dont usually want to see the back side of my stitching) ;)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Hmmm. I will have to pull out my old sewing machine. I could see where the stitching could be an interesting decorative element, and one that would fit into my own style. I don't make single layer cards, either, but I do make very "flat" cards. Although I admire the clever use of them in others, highly three-dimensional embellishments don't seem to be where I go when I design. Although I am considering brads!
Reply With Quote Likes